PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Shaman: CODzilla Potential?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-28, 01:13 PM
I'd like to start out saying I hate "Spells Known" casters. Its far too limiting, which is why they are tier 2. The exception to this, in my opnion, is the Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine. It is still tier 2 and a dumbed down Druid but thats besides the point. The point is my spells known change day to day, keeping me from getting locked in. So I decided I wanted to make CODzilla Spirit Shaman. The Druid list, especially with SpC, has plenty of buffs that a normal Cleric (or Favoured Soul) would not have access to without careful Domain selection.

Some goals for this CODOSSzilla*:

Obtain Righteous Might and Divine Might
Ability to Persist multiple spells fairly cheaply. DMM is the most effective but not strictly neccesary
General CODzilla awesomness

To obtain Righteous Might/Divine Might, I could take Contemplative and use my bonus Domain to grab Strength (or any other Domain with Righteous Might/Divine Might). I could also take Skypledged to the point I could access 1-6th level Cleric spells with my spellpool (along with the rest of the Druid spells).

The best method of Persiting spells on a Divine base as far as I can find is DMM, which requires turn/rebuke undead. Two ways I can think of accessing it is Sacred Exorcist, Prestige Paladin, or a Cleric dip. Cleric is a power loss but economical in terms of number of levels and the benefit of domains and devotion feats. Sacred Exorcist is tricky as I need Dismissal or Dispel Evil which are not present on the Druid list. Using Contemplative's Bonus Domain on a Domain that grants either of those (Good is the only one off the top of my head but I'm sure there is better Domains). Finally Prestige Paladin gives me Turn Undead and new spells to play with but requires Protection from Evil (or Good if I combine alternate Paladins with Prestige Paladins) niether of which are on the Druid list. I can do the same trick as I would with Sacred Exorcist with Prestige Paladin.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure which is the best idea. I figure I'm going to take Contemplative enough to get the neccesary Domain(s) to get Divine Might/Righteous Might and Turn Undead for DMM (Persist) or Skypledged to get Divine Might/Righteous Might via spellpool but beyond that I'm not postive the best way to obtain Turn Undead or what to fill in holes once those goals are all done.

Assume I'm using either a Raptoran base or if I absolutely need the extra feat/skill poin, a human base.

On the flip side, I need suggestions for spells to take. I'm not terribly familiar with Druid spells and I've only skimmed the SpC. Since at most I get 3 spells known per level, I thought I'd split my selection into 3 categories:

Persistentable spells/1 hour/level spells/any spell I'd only cast once on a given day
BFC/useful utility/spell I'd foreseably cast 2-3 times a day
blasty spell/any spell I'd not regret taking if I couldn't change my spells known daily

I run into issue with Skypledged banning [Fire, Water, or Earth] spells which limits my options, especially when it comes to blasting. Would these restrictions limit my capabilties as greatly as what I gain (mainly spontaneous Core-only Druid/Cleric casting on top of my spells known sans Fire, Water and Earth spells)?

Running list of Category 1 spells:

1st: Longstrider,
2nd: Bite of the Wererat, Body of the Sun, Brambles, Cloud Wings (if Raptoran or other flying method), Wings of Air (if Raptoran or other flying method),
3rd: Greater Magic Fang, Bite of the Werewolf, Charge of the Triceraptops, Carona of Cold, Girallon's Blessing, Lion's Charge, Spikes,
4th: Bite of the Wereboar, Contigent Energy Resistance, Superior Magic Fang, Greater Resistance, Greater Wings of Air (if Raptoran or other flying method),
5th: Bite of the Weretiger, Phantom Stag, Poison Thorns,
6th: Liveoak, Spellstaff, Bite of the Wereboar, Energy Immunity, Superior Restitance,
7th: Changestaff, Control Weather, Wind Walk,
8th: Stormrage,
9th: Shapechange,

Running list of Category 2 spells:

1st: Entangle, Babau Slime, Updraft, Spore Field
2nd: Barkskin, Fog Cloud, Binding Winds, Briar Web, Earthbind, Master of Air (if non-Raptoran),
3rd: Poison, Spike Growth, Sleet Storm, Wind Wall, Downdraft, Tremor,
4th: Dispel Magic, Ice Storm, Spike Stones, Eye of the Hurricane, Murderous Mist, Wall of Water,
5th: Baleful Polymorph, Transmute Rock/Mud to Mud/Rock, Wall of Fire/Thorns, Control Winds, Wall of Sands,
6th: Greater Dispel Magic, Wall of Stone, Anger of the Noonday Sun, Summoon Greater Elemental, Tortoise Shell,
7th: Greater Scrying, Slime Wave, Storm of Elemental Fury, Waterspout,
8th: Earthquake, Repel Metal or Stone, Reverse Gravity, Whirlwind, Deadfall, Maelstrom, Red Tide,
9th: Elemental Sarm, Phantom Bear (?), Summon Elemental Monolith, Greater Whirlwind,
Summons Nature's Ally X can go here as well.

Running list of Category 3 spells:

1st: Sandblast, Snake's Swiftness, Thunderhead, Winter Chill,
2nd: Gust of Wind, Blinding Spittle, Frost Breath, Heartfire, Saltray, Mass Snake's Swiftness, Splinterbolt,
3rd: Call Lightning, Dehydrate, Energy Vortex, Hypothermia, Thunderous Roar,
4th: Freedom of Movement, Flame Strike, Ice Storm, Scrying, Chain Lightning, Languor, Moon Bolt, Shadowbolt, Sheltered Vitality, Starvation, Sudden Stalagmite, Vortex of Teeth,
5th: Call Lightning Storm, Death Ward, Stoneskin, Freeze Ray, Ice Flowers, Inferno, Jungle's Rapture, Owl's Insight, Quill Blast,
6th: Cometfall, Fires of Purity (?), Tidal Surge,
7th: Firestorm, Heal, Sunbeam, True Seeing, Word of Balance,
8th: Finger of Death, Word of Recall, Bombardment, Phatom Wolf (?),
9th: Storm of Vengeance, Transmute Rock to Lava, Tsunami,
Summons Nature's Ally X can go here as well.

Note: any spell not on SRD in this list is from SpC unless noted otherwise.

Obviously not a complete list and I'm sure some are miscategorized or don't belong on any of the lists as they aren't as good as they seem.

So my question to the Playground is twofold:
First, which method do you think would be the best way to obtain Turn Undead and Divine Might/Righteous Might? Second, any other spells I should add, any spells I should move to a different category, or any spell I should remove?

Thanks in advance, you are all awesome.

*Cleric-or-Druid-or-Spirit-Shaman-zilla

ShriekingDrake
2011-11-28, 03:02 PM
I don't know that this is the best way, but consider Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a).

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-28, 03:31 PM
I don't know that this is the best way, but consider Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a).

No dice. I wouldn't be able to take Divine Metamagic without a permenent, non-spell/item Turn Undead source.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-11-28, 03:43 PM
There's worse domains to choose than Good. After all, Holy Word + Divine Spellpower = no-save, no-sr, not-even-a-Death-effect dienowkkthxbai.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-11-28, 04:01 PM
I don't have a great tip or idea here, but I just wanted to mention that you actually need Turn Undead to qualify for prestige paladin. That is something I keep overlooking myself. Unless this has been errata-ed and people didn't send me a memo, of course (in which case I would be happy to learn about it :smallsmile: ).

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-28, 04:05 PM
I don't have a great tip or idea here, but I just wanted to mention that you actually need Turn Undead to qualify for prestige paladin. That is something I keep overlooking myself. Unless this has been errata-ed and people didn't send me a memo, of course (in which case I would be happy to learn about it :smallsmile: ).

Thats rather lame :smallannoyed: well Prestige Paladin is out but luckily I'm not missing out on much.

EDIT:

You can qualify for a prestige class with an item you know.

Our group does not allow this. It predates me joining the group so I am unsure why this is the case.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-28, 04:08 PM
Thats rather lame :smallannoyed: well Prestige Paladin is out but luckily I'm not missing out on much.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-11-28, 04:11 PM

But prestige paladin doesn't give you turning. It stacks with (e.g.) cleric levels for the purpose of turning.

Allanimal
2011-11-28, 05:07 PM
I would add Spore Field for Complete Scoundrel to the category 2, level 1 list.
Creates an area of difficult terrain requiring a fort save or become sickened when moving through it. My low level SS uses this for BFC in areas where entangle won't work due to lack of plant life.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-28, 05:24 PM
If you are playing in Eberron OR can convince your DM to adapt the Sovereign Speaker prestige class from Faiths of Eberron you could dip two levels (loosing one spellcasting level sadly) and get two bonus domain and you can enter at level 8 for the cost of a feat (worldly focus which allows you to cast cleric spells without divine focus..might be worth it once you get into skypledged.) and 8 ranks in K: Religion.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-28, 05:30 PM
I would add Spore Field for Complete Scoundrel to the category 2, level 1 list.
Creates an area of difficult terrain requiring a fort save or become sickened when moving through it. My low level SS uses this for BFC in areas where entangle won't work due to lack of plant life.

Thanks! I'll add it.

If you are playing in Eberron OR can convince your DM to adapt the Sovereign Speaker prestige class from Faiths of Eberron you could dip two levels (loosing one spellcasting level sadly) and get two bonus domain and you can enter at level 8 for the cost of a feat (worldly focus which allows you to cast cleric spells without divine focus..might be worth it once you get into skypledged.) and 8 ranks in K: Religion.

This sounds nice. I have to see if someone in my group has Faiths of Ebberon. I personally own no Ebberon material but I know someone does (they have what can be accuratly described as a 'fetish' for Artificer and Warforged). Is the loss CL 1st or 2nd level and are there any restrictions on the Domains I can choose?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-28, 06:16 PM
Thanks! I'll add it.

This sounds nice. I have to see if someone in my group has Faiths of Ebberon. I personally own no Ebberon material but I know someone does (they have what can be accuratly described as a 'fetish' for Artificer and Warforged). Is the loss CL 1st or 2nd level and are there any restrictions on the Domains I can choose?

The class itself looses 2 CL out of ten at level 1 and 6 and the domains you choose must be any one from the domains offered by any member of the Sovereign host pantheon and you can't have more than 3 domains from the same deity.