PDA

View Full Version : 25K for level 5...help me break the game!

Sunken Valley
2011-11-28, 01:31 PM
Hello. I am playing a pathfinder game. We have been playing it for 8 weeks. For 7 of these we have gone through from 1st to 4th level with out any treasure. Than when we hit 5th, the GM gives us all 25K of magic items of our choice. Each. This is broken. And I want to show the GM how. Please help give my wizard 25K gp of magic items (all he has is a blessed book as a magic item before than). This must be core rule book only. But I want to break the game as much as possible.

Suggestions?

Flickerdart
2011-11-28, 01:32 PM
Did Pathfinder keep the Candle of Invocation? If not, remember that you can still buy spells off NPC spellcasters, and 25k buys you tons of spells and Permanencies, so unless you're locked into magic items, this is a way to go. And if you are, just pillage some scrolls.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-28, 02:03 PM
It's still there. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/candle-of-invocation)

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-28, 02:07 PM
That doesn't break the game at 25,000 gp, though!

It breaks it at 8,400. :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2011-11-28, 02:09 PM
Staff with spells of higher level than you can normally cast. Even a level 1 wizard can use a high level staff, unless Pathfinder changed that.

Problem solved, next question please.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-28, 02:14 PM
Did Pathfinder keep the Candle of Invocation?

Yep. And after someone posted criticism on the Paizo boards about, among other things, taking away XP costs for crafting while still leaving CoI, the devs got uppity and banned him without fixing a thing.

imneuromancer
2011-11-28, 03:21 PM
A friend once had a 5th level Bard that got access to a Rod of the Serpent. Yeah, let's just say that at 5th level, not many things can resist a +23 grapple, and it acted as cover for pretty much the entire party...

Glimbur
2011-11-28, 03:36 PM
For only 500 you can get extra attacks via feather token: whip (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/feather-token/whip-token). Use a storm of whips to destroy the opposition. At level 5 you should be able to destroy with sufficient whips.

That said, have you considered talking to the DM out of game about your concerns?

Sunken Valley
2011-11-29, 05:18 AM
I like the candle idea. But how can I fit it into my current, non broken Item list. Here is my current item selection. It's not particularly game breaking.

+1 Mithral Buckler (1k)
+1 Ring of protection (2k)
+1 amulet of natural armour (2k)
+2 dex belt (raises modifier to +4) (4K) (these items raise ac to 22)
+2 int headband (raises modifier to +6) (4k)
+1 cloak of resistance (1k)
Lesser extend metamagic rod (3k)
Ring of sustenance (2k)
Handy Haversack (2k)
Still got 4K

What to remove?

Darrin
2011-11-29, 06:21 AM
Is the Dust of Sneezing and Choking still in Pathfinder? 2400 GP for 5d4 rounds of auto-stun is pretty much a death sentence for most BBEGs.

Sunken Valley
2011-11-29, 06:47 AM
Guys, I like stuff that isn't one use. The only reason I picked the candle was so I can get the Efreet to make another candle. Please read post 9 and help sort my equipment list.

Killer Angel
2011-11-29, 06:57 AM
I want to break the game as much as possible.

Am I the only one disagreeing with this kind of attitude? :smallannoyed:

Suggestions?

Don't.

Fouredged Sword
2011-11-29, 06:59 AM
Isn't there a means of recharging staves in pathfinder? If so then that becomes a great option for getting a few really powerful spells.

Myth
2011-11-29, 08:15 AM
Pathfinder sucks.

That being said: don't break your DM's game. Talk to him out of character and if he's new, let him know why leaving you naked for 4 levels and then giving you the keys to a Ferrari is bad.

If I were your DM and you attempted an infinite loops with COIs I'd have your character killed beyond reviving in one immediate action.

Rubik
2011-11-29, 11:13 AM
I suggest not breaking the game as well.

I'd also suggest skipping the +AC items and add the gleaming property (from the XPH) to your armor (+2 for 20% miss chance, and only blindsight overcomes it) and grab a ring of entropic deflection (from the MIC) for an extra miss chance against ranged weaponry. They're a tad expensive, sure, but they're better than AC because they scale as you go up.

Gullintanni
2011-11-29, 12:41 PM
This is broken. And I want to show the GM how.

My initial response to this was, "Your DM wants to give you 25k and let you have some fun. Yeah it can be pretty broken, but just go with it...and follow rule -1: Don't be a d**k.

Your DM's probably hoping you can take his generosity with an implicit promise that you won't use it to break his game.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-29, 12:44 PM
+1 Mithral Buckler (1k)

That's 2k and a little bit.