PDA

View Full Version : Gift for another character

RCgothic
2011-11-28, 03:12 PM
So one of the other characters in one of my games gave my character an enchanted belt for no other reason than to help out his elder sister when he had more money available, and I've been trying to think of a way to reciprocate with something nice. :smallsmile: Budget isn't much (we're only lvl5 currently), and I'd only be able to spare about 250g max. Recipient is a lvl5 male elf sorcerer with a moderately laid back attitude.

So can anyone think of any items that might make a good gift?

Alternatively, as items of sentimental value are always good, my character has 4 ranks in craft(mechanisms) and profession(natural philosopher), and 1 rank in knowledge(architecture and engineering) and also disable device. She's a bit of a scientist, and can make intricate things. Any ideas? :smallsmile:

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 03:46 PM
Random Useful Items:

Elixir of Love (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofLove). Elixir of Truth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofTruth). Unguent of Timelessness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#unguentofTimelessness).

Failing that, ask your DM if he lets you craft a locket that tells time (thanks to your ranks in Craft(Mechanisms)); a pendant with a gem that changes colour according to his mood; a set of jewelry/accessories/clothes with Continual Flame cast upon it (terrible for stealth, amazing for coolness); a music box that sings in Elven (I think paying for the casting of a Permanency and a Ghost Sound spells are within your budget, you'd just have to supply the box with the mechanism to make something pretty twirl); or some manner of hand-crafted brooch, clasp or adornment.

Hope that helps.

docnessuno
2011-11-28, 04:04 PM
A darkwood Quarterstaff (340 gp) with silver/gold decorations (ler's say 60gp more, for a grand total of 400) would be an appropriate gift imho, if you can spare some exta gold.

RCgothic
2011-11-28, 04:34 PM
I'd like to steer away from one-use items such as potions or oils, as it's hard to have sentimental value about something once it's used. I'm also a swordsage, so the more magical effects would be beyond my personal abilities. A customised darkwood quaterstaff would be good, but breaks my budget a bit.

I like the idea of a personalised locket with a simple mechanism in it, something marginally useful but not really game-affecting. Perhaps it does tell the time, or maybe the date. Perhaps it's a simple stopwatch, or produces a flame like a lighter. Any other good ideas for simple mechanisms out there, that are useful in a minor sort of way?

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 04:43 PM
You'll have to check with your DM, there's nothing specific in the books. You could ask to pay for the price of a Flint and Stone and get a locket that can be used to ignite fires. Or, as you say, something that tells time, or the date, or functions as a stopwatch. That's all very much DM Fiat material.

docnessuno
2011-11-28, 04:58 PM
Another option is:
Ancient lore book, count as a masterwork tool for Knowlege (arcana) => 55 gp
Extra decorations: Dragonhide cover (following the rules of armor doubles the cost) => 110 gp
Extra decorations: gems, gold or other precious metals, as much as you can spare
110 + x, for a decorative and useful item.

RCgothic
2011-11-28, 05:29 PM
These are all great ideas, thanks. :smallsmile: Probably a lot of the sentiment will be in the description of the embellishments as well.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 05:35 PM
Another option is to ask the DM to let you go on a subquest on your own to find a magic item that would be currently beyond your means. Tell him that instead of giving you treasure and XP, you just want an item that you currently can't afford. Ask him what's the price limit and then turn to the DMG to look for something that your character's brother would like.

Slipperychicken
2011-11-28, 09:30 PM
A snazzy-looking component pouch in his favorite color, some kind of cool design on it, like a dragon, an eye, or a fireball. A pointed witch/wizard's hat (mundane). A set of rings which spell M-A-G-E (use signet ring as a baseline of 5gp). A bottle of fine wine (10gp). Craft a small mirror with his name engraved on it, and it has a secret compartment containing a note saying something cute (I wouldn't put it above 20gp myself)

EDIT: Matching pair of ring/bracelet/mirror/lockets. One for you, one for him. Make them say something like "best brother/best sister ever", and have some design like each one being a half heart. Maybe some cute mechanical thing happens when you put them together. Boom. Extremely fluffy sentimental item. Remember to put them together during tragic death scenes.

RCgothic
2011-11-29, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all your help!

After discussing with DM, have decided on a locket with a secret compartment containing a compass that always points to me. (150g) It has an inscription that reads:

"As long as you have this locket I'll never be lost."

:smallsmile:

Autolycus84
2011-11-29, 08:59 AM
Awww that's actually really sweet.

Rubik
2011-11-29, 01:42 PM
Awww that's actually really sweet.And potentially very, very useful.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-11-30, 01:19 AM
Sweet and useful. That's certainly better than anything I would have come up with.

kme
2011-11-30, 07:59 AM
It's definitely overpowered for 150 gp :smalltongue:. You (and he) were lucky.