PDA

View Full Version : Theurge question

Venger
2011-11-28, 04:52 PM
If you built a character to enter a theurgic class (mystic theurge, or ultimate magus, cerebremancer, eldritch theurge, etc.) could you enter another class that advanced spellcasting and pick your theurge class to move forward?

Amphetryon
2011-11-28, 04:54 PM
If you built a character to enter a theurgic class (mystic theurge, or ultimate magus, cerebremancer, eldritch theurge, etc.) could you enter another class that advanced spellcasting and pick your theurge class to move forward?

No. Theurge classes do not natively grant spellcasting; rather, they advance extant spellcasting.

EDIT: The easiest way to determine this for a PrC, is to see if the class has any spells unique to it. I'm aware of no spells in any book listed as "Mystic Theurge 1" or similar.
EDIT2: Alternately, if a class has its own progression, it qualifies. Spirit Shaman, Favored Soul, and Suel Arcanamach are off-the-cuff examples of this.

Venger
2011-11-28, 05:10 PM
No. Theurge classes do not natively grant spellcasting; rather, they advance extant spellcasting.

EDIT: The easiest way to determine this for a PrC, is to see if the class has any spells unique to it. I'm aware of no spells in any book listed as "Mystic Theurge 1" or similar.

I see, so you could pick beloved of valerian or nar demonbinder or whatever but you couldn't pick ultimate magus if you were to enroll in something like malconvoker. thanks :)

edit: okay, favoured soul, archivists, etc still draw from existing lists, so your earlier point still makes sense.