PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Binder NPC?

Nepenthe
2011-11-28, 05:08 PM
If you are currently playing in a campaign that started with a technology fair in Wroat where House Cannith unveiled the internal combustion engine, turn back now!

I'm designing a low-level, low-life, crime boss NPC to be both a quest giver and obstacle for my players. What they know: Stoat is a petty crook who operates out of abandoned sewers and has a finger on every pickpocket, burglar and extortionist in the city. What they don't know: Stoat is also Ermine, a flamboyant, high-class criminal who moves through social circles and deals in character defamation, black mail, and Ponzi schemes. Basically, this guy is both Badger (Firefly) and Reaver (Fable 2/3).

What I've heard of the Binder class seems like a good fit here. It would allow for his dual nature and alternating strong arm/diplomancer managerial styles. The only problem is that I have zero experience with pact magic. Therefore, I turn to the playground for guidance. Thanks in advance!

TL;DR
Which vestiges should I look at for a level 5 no-collar crook?
and
Which vestiges should I look at for a level 5 white-collar criminal?

Psyren
2011-11-28, 05:20 PM
At 5th-level, he can only carry one vestige. Since he's the social type, Naberius seems the obvious choice here - it will let him talk his way past everyone in sight (even resorting to Command if necessary) and wear a variety of disguises at-will to confound both the PCs and other NPCs.

As far as being both the strong-arm and the silver-tongue, Binders can certainly do that, but at low levels your abilities are very limited. He'll need to be at least 8 before you can give him another vestige.

Nepenthe
2011-12-01, 01:40 AM
I realize I can only bind one vestige at a time, but I can choose different ones on different days, right? He doesn't need to be both at the same time.

Naberius does seem like a really good fit for the Ermine persona, thanks. It wouldn't be terrible for Stoat either, but I like the idea of each persona having a different vestige. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

stack
2011-12-01, 08:41 AM
Expel vestige would be useful if you have to switch mid-day. If stoat needs to find thing, Andromalus would work. Malphus is great for having eyes everywhere (unlimited range raven).