PDA

View Full Version : Slow VS other stuff :P

GeekGirl
2011-11-28, 05:21 PM
Greetings all, Last night in a game one of the other players had Slow cast on him. He is a relatively new player, playing a Warblade. His first thought was to use Bounding assault. I thought it was a good plan (he's starting to learn what he can do :D), but the DM instantly throw it out. saying that "Slow makes him only take a move or standard action, nothing more regardless of what the ability says." I disagreed, this is what maneuvers are for. I read the specifics, He was right, because it required a full round action.

As part of this maneuver, make a double move. After you move you can also make a melee attack. more stuff

So my question is is he right, excluding Haste (because it says so), are there any abilities that by pass slow? I can see travel devotion working. But for a mundane fighter, is there anything to do?

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-28, 05:32 PM
Travel Devotion doesn't work, though. It requires a swift.

jiriku
2011-11-28, 05:34 PM
DM made the correct call. Slow locks you down pretty hard. Nothing really bypasses slow, but plenty of effects will remove it, such as dispel magic or iron heart surge.

marcielle
2011-11-28, 05:41 PM
I don't know about Fighters but Level 8 of Factotum spits on Slows face and dances on it's shoes. Even before that, all it's abilites are non-actions meaning they cost even less than a free and are truly unlimited(so long as you have the IP).

Keld Denar
2011-11-28, 05:48 PM
Pounce bypasses most of the drawbacks of slow. You are explicitly allowed to charge, even if you are limited only to a standard action. You only get to move 1x, but you can still do it. Pounce let's you make a full attack when you charge. It doesn't limit it to a full charge...it just says any charge.

Keep in mind that your move speed is still halved, and you only get 1x move, so a normal move 30 character could only charge 15', and you always have to move at least 10' when you charge. It's not perfect, but it will still let you full attack even when Slow says you can't.

FearlessGnome
2011-11-28, 06:08 PM
Pounce bypasses most of the drawbacks of slow. You are explicitly allowed to charge, even if you are limited only to a standard action. You only get to move 1x, but you can still do it. Pounce let's you make a full attack when you charge. It doesn't limit it to a full charge...it just says any charge.

Keep in mind that your move speed is still halved, and you only get 1x move, so a normal move 30 character could only charge 15', and you always have to move at least 10' when you charge. It's not perfect, but it will still let you full attack even when Slow says you can't.That is quite clever. And it's a bone I think we can afford to throw the meleers.

Runestar
2011-11-28, 07:16 PM
That is quite clever. And it's a bone I think we can afford to throw the meleers.

How many melee characters actually have pounce anyways. :smallfrown:

Wizards can still cast spells, archers manyshot, but fighters....:smalleek:

Novawurmson
2011-11-28, 07:21 PM
I make it a point to help my melee players get charge. A Tibbit in a campaign I run was sad she wasn't able to get full attack frequently, so I let her take Catfolk Pounce (full attack on a charge as long as your enemy is flatfooted). When she can charge on enemies out of the shadows and tear them to shreds, it gives her a warm feeling inside. She can't get it all the time, but when she does...it's brutal.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 07:23 PM
I make it a point to help my melee players get charge. A Tibbit in a campaign I run was sad she wasn't able to get full attack frequently, so I let her take Catfolk Pounce (full attack on a charge as long as your enemy is flatfooted). When she can charge on enemies out of the shadows and tear them to shreds, it gives her a warm feeling inside. She can't get it all the time, but when she does...it's brutal.Watch the catgirl take out the commoners!

IT'S SUPER-EFFECTIVE!

Randomguy
2011-11-28, 08:12 PM
Doesn't freedom of movement negate slow?

Mato
2011-11-28, 08:22 PM
Doesn't freedom of movement negate slow?Yes and it even explicitly calls it out in it's list of examples.

FoM is the goto solution for virtually all CC tactics.

Runestar
2011-11-28, 08:30 PM
Yes and it even explicitly calls it out in it's list of examples.

FoM is the goto solution for virtually all CC tactics.

Except that at lower-mid levels, the cleric is still pretty limited in how often he can cast it, assuming he even has it prepared in the first place. :smalltongue:

Rubik
2011-11-28, 08:34 PM
Except that at lower-mid levels, the cleric is still pretty limited in how often he can cast it, assuming he even has it prepared in the first place. :smalltongue:Heart of Water?