PDA

View Full Version : Stating a Magic-Junkie

Surzt and Gurzt
2011-11-28, 09:00 PM
I heard the idea from somewhere to play a character who is addicted to magic. Haste, Heroism, those are this drugs. I intend to roleplay this to the best of my ability, but how would I go about building this? My original idea was Spelltheif-Barbarian but that seemed pretty poor. If you can help I would be much obliged.

My idea is: Someone who can cast a few rudimentary spells, perhaps poorly, with a focus in melee combat.
My DM is allowing all non-campaign setting books. So no Forgotten Realms, no Eberron, etc. Other than that, anything is good.

GoatBoy
2011-11-28, 09:04 PM
The Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)

The picture of skill and efficiency when he has his fix, jittery and nervous when he is out of haste for the day.

Zaq
2011-11-28, 09:44 PM
This screams Spellthief to me. They have a couple spells of their own, but for the most part, they have to rely on others to get what they want . . . and they'll get it one way or another, by hook or by crook.

ericgrau
2011-11-28, 10:45 PM
You could always do an eldritch knight / abjurant champion and buff yourself. Or really all the common buffs are 3rd/4th level and lower, so you could stop once you get those and continue into something else if you want. Or go to 4th/5th level spells so you can use still spell. Then practiced caster level to keep your caster level up. Or at high level you could afford magic items such as wands or a staff, which are usable with use magic device or a single level of dip.

The rest is role-playing out your high whenever you hit yourself with a buff, which I've seen some players do anyway.

Steward
2011-11-28, 11:02 PM
Magic junkies, huh?

"H-hey, man, what's that you got there? It looks like a Wand of Haste. C'mon, let me get a hit off of that. Just to help me through the night. You probably still have a dozen charges left. I'm only asking for one. Just say the command word... Awh, don't back away from me. DON'T YOU DARE RUN! WHEN I CATCH YOU I'LL TEAR YOUR LEGS OFF AND SHOVE THEM DOWN YOUR-- ohh-ohh-yeah-that's-the-stuff-that's-more-like-it-thanks-man-sorry-I-got-to-run-I'll-pay-you-back-for-this-somehow-no-problem-buddy-zip-zoom-zippadeeeeee-hee-heeeee!"

Psyren
2011-11-28, 11:17 PM
You could also do an Artificer who takes the magic items the party finds, crushes them to powder, snorts it up, and crafts a whole toychest of wonders while high off his gourd.

sonofzeal
2011-11-28, 11:43 PM
Strangely enough, I'm playing my newest Spellthief (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223385) as a magic-addict. Which, let's be honest, works AMAZINGLY for the class. Not much actual magic of his own, but he's constantly shuffling it around in one way or another, borrowing and twisting it around all over the place. I don't think I mentioned it on the board though....

herrhauptmann
2011-11-29, 12:52 AM
I heard the idea from somewhere to play a character who is addicted to magic. Haste, Heroism, those are this drugs. I intend to roleplay this to the best of my ability, but how would I go about building this? My original idea was Spelltheif-Barbarian but that seemed pretty poor. If you can help I would be much obliged.

My idea is: Someone who can cast a few rudimentary spells, perhaps poorly, with a focus in melee combat.
My DM is allowing all non-campaign setting books. So no Forgotten Realms, no Eberron, etc. Other than that, anything is good.

How about a Karsite? A race from ToM.
They get healed if their SR stops a spell/power.
C'mon man, just one more hit. How about a shield, you don't need your first level spells, do you?
*Fireball* (fails SR penetration)
Ahhh, that's teh stuff. :mitd: Give me that shield, now.

sonofzeal
2011-11-29, 01:25 AM
I think it's settled then - a Karsite Spellthief would be the ultimate junkie.

Calanon
2011-11-29, 01:35 AM
I think it's settled then - a Karsite Spellthief would be the ultimate junkie.

Isn't that impossible? :smallconfused: (Karsites cannot cast spells last I checked)

sonofzeal
2011-11-29, 01:55 AM
Isn't that impossible? :smallconfused: (Karsites cannot cast spells last I checked)
I'm pretty sure the same Dragon Mag that had my Trickster variant also had one that traded its minimal spellcasting for... I can't remember, but I'll check when I'm not AFB. It means you can't absorb one spell and counter back with a different one, but a Karsite Spellthief would still be as closed to a black hole for magic as it's possible to get; I'd have to re-read carefully (again, AFB), but I think even the Mailman might suffer against them!

(EDIT)
The "Spellskill" variant (DM #353) is perfectly legal for Karsites, if a little underpowered. An underwhelming bonus to a pair of skills you don't even get free choice of, for a decent amount of time but not often enough. Just sad. Apply it to all the relevant skills and make it 24hours, and it might justify itself. Might. Spellcasting's still pretty tough to give up, even Ranger-esque spellcasting.

Still, for a Karsite it's enough enough to allow entry, and that's the important part.

herrhauptmann
2011-11-29, 02:27 PM

No Karsites cannot cast spells, even if they take levels in classes like Wizard or Cleric. But they can use psi powers, psi-like, supernatural, and spell like abilities. Favored class is binder.

Do spellthieves get their own casting progression? Or just steal other peoples spells for themselves?

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-29, 03:15 PM
Isn't there a psithief variant somewhere?

Optimator
2011-11-29, 03:27 PM
Sublime Chord may be a good choice. That way you can get Empyreal Ecstasy.

Surzt and Gurzt
2011-11-29, 07:34 PM
Wow, you all have been a great help. I'm thinking Spelltheif seems most practical, although I'm not sold on Karsite, Illumian's benefits seem too good to pass up, and Karsite's LA of +2 is brutal. Magic-blooded seems fun too, especially at LA 0. Is the Spellskill Spelltheif worth it?

sonofzeal
2011-11-29, 07:54 PM
Wow, you all have been a great help. I'm thinking Spelltheif seems most practical, although I'm not sold on Karsite, Illumian's benefits seem too good to pass up, and Karsite's LA of +2 is brutal. Magic-blooded seems fun too, especially at LA 0. Is the Spellskill Spelltheif worth it?
From an optimization point of view, almost certainly not. Spellthieves get terrible spells/day, but they pull off the Sor/Wiz list with a fair degree of freedom, so their list is great. Actually, I went the opposite direction - trading much of my roguenesses to upgrade my casting from Ranger-like to Bard-Like - and I think that was a better idea. Spellskill is only worth it if you're losing casting anyway for whatever reason.... although it does free you up to take Pierce Magical Protection/Concealment, which are great feats for a Spellthief to have. If I make another one, I might go that route for straight mageslaying. My current character can already make flatfooted touch attacks, but needs his CL too badly to sack it for those feats, as good as they are.

DonutBoy12321
2011-11-29, 08:37 PM
Magic junkies, huh?

"H-hey, man, what's that you got there? It looks like a Wand of Haste. C'mon, let me get a hit off of that. Just to help me through the night. You probably still have a dozen charges left. I'm only asking for one. Just say the command word... Awh, don't back away from me. DON'T YOU DARE RUN! WHEN I CATCH YOU I'LL TEAR YOUR LEGS OFF AND SHOVE THEM DOWN YOUR-- ohh-ohh-yeah-that's-the-stuff-that's-more-like-it-thanks-man-sorry-I-got-to-run-I'll-pay-you-back-for-this-somehow-no-problem-buddy-zip-zoom-zippadeeeeee-hee-heeeee!"

I almost definitely have to sig some part of this. That okay with you?

herrhauptmann
2011-11-29, 09:25 PM

Yeah the LA is pretty steep. But I think it's a better template at that price for noncasters than most other +2's.

Where is Magicblooded?
I found Arcane Blood from Drag Mag 350, which has a feature called Magic blood. But it's way worse than Karsite.

sonofzeal
2011-11-29, 09:30 PM
Yeah the LA is pretty steep. But I think it's a better template at that price for noncasters than most other +2's.

Where is Magicblooded?
I found Arcane Blood from Drag Mag 350, which has a feature called Magic blood. But it's way worse than Karsite.
It's an LA+0 template that gives +2Cha, -2Wis, and a few minor SLAs (Detect Magic, and Nystul's Magic Aura, most notably). It's generally considered overpowered, because there's practically no reason for a Sorcerer or other cha-based caster not to take it.

herrhauptmann
2011-11-29, 10:28 PM
It's an LA+0 template that gives +2Cha, -2Wis, and a few minor SLAs (Detect Magic, and Nystul's Magic Aura, most notably). It's generally considered overpowered, because there's practically no reason for a Sorcerer or other cha-based caster not to take it.

So then, which book is it in? All I've been able to find is that it's a 3.0 book.

sonofzeal
2011-11-30, 12:48 AM
So then, which book is it in? All I've been able to find is that it's a 3.0 book.
Dragon Magazine #280 p46

hex0
2011-11-30, 12:55 PM
Trickster spellthief 7 is a good entry into Swiftblade, btw.

Reaver225
2011-11-30, 01:07 PM
Stating a Magic-junkie"This is... A Magic-Junkie."

Steward
2011-11-30, 03:23 PM
I almost definitely have to sig some part of this. That okay with you?

No problem! Thanks for the honor!

"This is... A Magic-Junkie."

I had to read this three times to get it.

Zaq
2011-12-01, 02:00 AM
"This is... A Magic-Junkie."

I wasn't gonna say it. I was totally thinking it, though.