PDA

View Full Version : The Need for Speed! (3.5, Base Class, PEACH)

Hefty Lefty
2011-11-28, 09:51 PM
As you will be able to tell, this is my spin on the Scout (sort of). It's less wilderness focus and more combat-oriented. Rush is my adjustment of Skirmish - I feel it progresses much to slowly. Other than that, the abilities are all ideas I had to play off the idea of speed. Also, I'm open to a new name :smalleek: . I'm not a huge fan.

Also as you'll be able to tell, this is my first homebrew ever. I know nothing about balance, so please help!! Thank you everyone!

The Atlantean

Description
Atlanteans are quick and agile warriors of speed. They can manipulate a battlefield by putting their opponent in indefensible positions by rushing past them in a whirlwind of blades. Most Atlanteans are humans, influenced by their athletic builds to take to guerilla combat. Some elves and half-elves, with their lithe frames, become Atlanteans of archery, perplexing their foes by pouring arrows from hundreds of feet apart. Most half-orcs prefer brute strength over illusive speed, but those who commit to the combat style find themselves some of the most feared Atlanteans. Gnomes and Halflings, with their reduced speed and strength, struggle to make use of the style's abilities.

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d8

Class Skills
The Atlantean's class skills (and the key abilities for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profression (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at First Level
(2+Intelligence Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2+Intelligence Modifier

The Atlantean
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Speed Bonus (+10), +1d6 Rush, Dodge

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Evasion

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|+2d6 Rush, Mobility

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Combat Style, Uncanny Dodge

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Speed Bonus (+20), +3d6 Rush

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved Bull Rush

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|+4d6 Rush

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Speed Bonus (+30)

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|+5d6 Rush

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Improved Combat Style

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Speed Bonus (+40), +6d6 Rush

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Blur 1/day

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|+7d6 Rush

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|Speed Bonus (+50), Charge of Lightning

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|+8d6 Rush

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Blink 1/day

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Speed Bonus (+60), +9d6 Rush

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|Charge of Thunder

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|+10d6 Rush

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Speed Bonus (+70), Time Stop 1/day[/table]

Class Features
Speed Bonus (Ex)
The Atlantean's entire focus is on his speed. At 1st level and every four levels after, his base land speed increases by 10 feet. This ability is lost if the Atlantean chooses to wear medium or heavy armor or carry a medium or heavier load.

Rush (Ex)
The blinding speed of the Atlantean allows him to add damage to each attack he makes where he moves at least 10 feet before the attack. The bonus starts at +1d6 damage, and every other level after, the bonus increases by 1d6.
The extra damage only applies against living creatures that have discernable anatomy. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The Atlantean must be able to see the target well enough to pick a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Atlanteans can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while rushing, but only if the target is within 30 feet.
An Atlantean loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavier load.

Dodge (Ex)
The Atlantean gains the Dodge feat at first level, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Evasion (Ex)
At second level, the Atlantean can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save.

Mobility (Ex)
The Atlantean gains the Mobility feat at third level, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Combat Style (Ex)
At fourth level, the Atlantean must choose between up-close combat and archery. If the former is chosen, the Atlantean recieves the feat Spring Attack. If archery is chosen, he recieves Shot on the Run. He earns these feats even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
Starting at 4th level, an Atlantean can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If an Atlantean already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains Improved Uncanny Dodge instead.

Improved Bull Rush (Ex)
The Atlantean gains the Improved Bull Rush feat at sixth level, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Improved Combat Style (Ex)
The Atlantean's combat style improves at level ten. If he chose up-close combat earlier in his career, he gains the Flipping Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910) feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites. If he chose archery, the range for his rush attack increases to 60 feet.

Blur (Sp)
At 12th level, the Atlantean develops the ability to cast Blur on himself once per day. He may only cast the spell on himself. The spell requires a standard action to use. The duration of the spell is calculated as if he were a wizard of the same level.

Charge of Lightning (Ex)
At 14th level, the Atlantean can focus his rush attack once per day. One round per day, for every attack made in that round, the Atlantean doubles the damage applied by his rush attack.

Blink (Sp)
At 16th level, the Atlantean develops the ability to cast Blink on himself once per day. He may only cast the spell on himself. The spell requires a standard action to use. The duration of the spell is calculated as if he were a wizard of the same level.

Charge of Thunder (Ex)
At 18th level, the Atlantean can attack in a gruesome string of blazingly fast strikes. One round per day, the Atlantean may double the amount of attacks he may make in that round. For each attack, the damage applied by his rush attack is doubled.

Time Stop (Sp)
The Atlantean, at 20th level, gains the ability to cast Time Stop once per day.

Rapidghoul
2011-11-28, 11:11 PM
First, I like the concept. Hit-and-run combat is makes for a neat class concept if done right. For the class name, simple things like "Runner" "Sprinter" "Charger" or maybe something fancier like "Velociter" or "Celeritor" could work.

Couple things:

What are the class's proficiencies? You don't have them listed.
The SLA the class gets (Blur, Blink, etc.) can just say "at caster level X" or "with a caster level equal to their class level" or the like. Standard action is assumed as a SLA, and the duration clause is part of the caster level.
Bonus feats (like Improved Bull Rush) aren't extraordinary abilities. They aren't abilities at all. They're just bonus feats, so you can leave it as "Mobility: The Atlantean gains the Mobility feat at third level, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
For a class based on speed and speed-like spells, it has a surprising lack of HASTE. Also things like Longstrider or Expeditious Retreat, but those are taken care of by the increased land speed so they aren't needed. But seriously, HASTE.
If you want to draw away from the nature aspect of Scout, maybe still grab other things from it like Freedom of Movement. Flawless Stride (like Woodland Stride from Druid but with anything) would make a lot of sense, not letting difficult terrain get in the way of their speed.
Speed Climb from Ninja seems like it might fit. Acrobatics (or some other method of boosting agility-related skills) would too.
This class seems like a perfect candidate for Improved Evasion. Just my opinion here.
Maybe the monster ability Pounce would fit as part of the up-close style.
Other feats like Bounding Assault from PHB2 might work with the Combat Style progression.
The class on the whole just seems like a fighter that has its feats picked for it already, making it even less versatile. Faster movement is nice, a couple spell-like abilities are neat, but in the end it's lackluster. I like the feel of it, but it could use a bit more.

Again, good concept. I look forward to updates.