PDA

View Full Version : Study Across The Pond?

Gaius Marius
2011-11-28, 09:56 PM
Hey there!

In my frantic search for english-language universities where to study a Master in International Politics (or something like), I came across a nifty website that claims to help students from around the world studying in Great Britain. It's name is

"Study Across the Pond" (http://www.studyacrossthepond.com/)

Now, this website looks great, the people I have contacted so far seems very helpful. But before I trust them with my diploma, official grade and passport information, I wanna know if someone in this august community had ever dealt with them and can vouch it's not an elaborate scam?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-28, 11:02 PM
Never heard of them. I'd just apply normally to British universities. I applied a few months ago to Cambridge (I didn't get in), so I could help you with the application process, possibly? Not sure how much it varies university-by-university...

factotum
2011-11-29, 02:41 AM
so I could help you with the application process, possibly? Not sure how much it varies university-by-university...

You should probably apply via UCAS (http://www.ucas.ac.uk/)--they handle admissions for *all* UK universities (with the possible exception of Oxford and Cambridge, not too sure how that works).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-29, 08:58 AM
You should probably apply via UCAS (http://www.ucas.ac.uk/)--they handle admissions for *all* UK universities (with the possible exception of Oxford and Cambridge, not too sure how that works).

Yeah, I went through UCAS, but Cambridge and Trinity College demanded additional things, so I'm not sure how much of that you'll see...

Castaras
2011-11-29, 09:14 AM
How to apply to a British university:

Go to UCAS. Create an application. Pick Unis.

International fees will apply and such. It's pretty simple though. Some unis might require more extra stuff, but UCAS will inform you of this.

Not heard of that linked site before. Go through UCAS would be my recommendation though.

Last_resort_33
2011-11-29, 11:00 AM
Another post to say to only use UCAS, They are the offical body, I have a few friends from the States and Canada that have studies here, I could ask them for pointers if you like, it would be a shame to get stung...

Gaius Marius
2011-12-08, 10:18 AM
Apparently, UCAS is helpful mostly for undergraduate studies compared to postgraduate.

But the matter is solved! For future reference: I contacted Newcastle University directly to ask them about Study Across the Pond, and they told me they had prior dealing with the organization. They assure me it's legit and not a scam.

Yay!

Caesar
2011-12-08, 10:58 AM
If you want a tad more exotic flare, you could look into studying in Denmark as well. They are big players in global politics, for such a small nation, and have a long history of such. The schools are good, and courses are offered entirely in English, as well the vast majority of the student body speaks it.

Try Copenhagen University for starters. They have an official program for exchange students.

Gaius Marius
2011-12-08, 02:08 PM
Oh, I do know about Denmark. It and Sweden are probably among my top-6 countries of "European Coolness" (alongside Poland, UK, France and Germany).

I'd live to consider either of these two nations, but I the reason I select UK or Ireland is because I need to perfect my english. Immersion is important. I doubt I'll have the time to learn Danish or Swedish :-)