PDA

View Full Version : Fluxx

BiblioRook
2011-11-29, 12:27 AM
So through the wonders of eBay I managed to find copies of both Zombie Fluxx and Pirate Fluxx on the cheap, so both of those in addition to the copy of regular Fluxx I already have I will now be able to somethiing I've always wanted to do but never saw done. Combine Fluxxes.
I mean, why not? I see no reason not to, but I just never really knew anyone that bothered to buy one of the non-regular versions.

So what about it people? Has anyone ever really played one of the non-regular versions? Pirate Fluxx I wanted mostly just because I like pirates and as much as the people I know play Fluxx I thought it would be good to change it up a bit. Zombie Fluxx however seems like it actually adds a noteworthy spin on the game as not only does it add a great deal of Creepers all at once (the zombies) but many goals actually even involve what Creepers you have in front of you at that particular time rather then just relying on Keepers.

banjo1985
2011-11-29, 06:42 AM
Fluxx is a decent pick up and play game, our gaming group will occasionally play it as a starter before getting into the evenings 'proper' game.

I did have Zombie Fluxx. It plays okay, but the Creepers can quite quickly bog the game down if the cards come out wrong. We found that it played slower than normal Fluxx, which could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you want out of the game. Never played Pirate Fluxx, but our current favourite is Monty Python Fluxx, purely because we get to shout SPAM! a lot and sing lots of silly songs. :smallbiggrin: That adds Creeper-equivalents, with things like the Black Beast of Arrrgh and the Knights Who Say Ni etc, but there are far fewer of them. You can still win the game using them, but because they're few and far between they don't take over the game like they tend to do in Zombie Fluxx.

We haven't mixed stes together, but I don't see any real reason why you couldn't. The game would take longer again though, bacause with twice as many goals and keepers the players will really struggle to pull together the required set.

Castaras
2011-11-29, 07:33 AM
At UKitp we mixed up Monty Python and original Fluxx. It was amusing.

Also amusing was having a game of Fluxx with 18 people. :smalltongue:

BiblioRook
2011-11-29, 02:21 PM
See, while having Fluxx as a quick little pick-up game was the original reason for picking it up, I guess people just started playing it so often that nowadays I find people requesting to play it just for it's own sake!

Just a few weeks ago the 'board game' group of my RPG club just opted to play three hours of Fluxx over any of the other games we brought that week. So yeah, I'm not worried about stretching the game out a bit. As you mentioned, that could even be considered a plus.

As much as I like Monty Python, I don;t think I would want to ever actually play Monty Python Fluxx, largely for the reasons you mentioned. I have a very low 'silliness' threshold and it sounds like any number of things in that game would bog the game down far more then mixing sets would.
Truthfully, I'm alittle worried that I might face this problem with the Pirate Fluxx too, but we;ll cross that bridge when we get there.

banjo1985
2011-11-30, 05:25 AM
Yeah, probably best to stay away from Python Fluxx in that case then. The standard Fluxx plays straight, and Python deviates from that significantly, with cards asking you to quote famous lines from the show, give renditions of the songs, stuff like that, so it plays far sillier. I would assume that Pirate Fluxx does similar things, with cards asking for silly accents and such like, but I doubt it'll get to the level of people doing silly walks around the table because a card tells them to. :smallbiggrin:

ThemasterRabbit
2011-11-30, 03:49 PM
i loved the original fluxx, but the new ones i feel a little ripped off.

Thufir
2011-11-30, 06:19 PM
As much as I like Monty Python, I don;t think I would want to ever actually play Monty Python Fluxx, largely for the reasons you mentioned. I have a very low 'silliness' threshold and it sounds like any number of things in that game would bog the game down far more then mixing sets would.
Truthfully, I'm alittle worried that I might face this problem with the Pirate Fluxx too, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I think the only such thing in Pirate Fluxx is the card which allows you to draw/play (Can't remember which, might be both) an extra card if you speak in a pirate accent.

Yeah, probably best to stay away from Python Fluxx in that case then. The standard Fluxx plays straight, and Python deviates from that significantly, with cards asking you to quote famous lines from the show, give renditions of the songs, stuff like that, so it plays far sillier. I would assume that Pirate Fluxx does similar things, with cards asking for silly accents and such like, but I doubt it'll get to the level of people doing silly walks around the table because a card tells them to. :smallbiggrin:

Except there isn't a silly walks card. In general, I was disappointed by Python Fluxx, because it's mostly just Holy Grail, and I could think of so many other bits of Python which really should or could have been included.