PDA

View Full Version : Making Arcane Spells count as Divine

kardar233
2011-11-29, 02:48 AM
Is there any way to make Arcane spellcasting count as Divine for the purpose of getting into and getting the spell progression of Ruby Knight Vindicator?

A_S
2011-11-29, 03:05 AM
Archivists (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) are divine spellcasters who learn spells from divine scrolls the way wizards learn from arcane scrolls. Thing is, with enough cheese, you can get the vast majority of arcane spells to count as divine one way or another, which means they can be scribed onto divine scrolls, which can then be learned by archivists. Obviously, how feasible it is to get any given selection of arcane spells as an archivist is going to be up to the individual DM; more information here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=57ah840ehfbeqtju78jsed4a53&topic=3545.0).

If you could swing a good spell selection, though, Archivist would make an excellent entry into a RKV gish.

Cog
2011-11-29, 09:01 AM
Sha'ir, from Dragon Compendium, is a base class that casts both arcane and divine spells. The divine casting is limited, but gives access to divine PrCs; the arcane casting is drawn off the sorc/wiz list.

dextercorvia
2011-11-29, 09:07 AM
Getting in is easy. Progressing is hard. In order to do that, you have to get a class ability to cast divine spells. There aren't any that I know of. The best I can do -- and I get yelled at for mentioning it -- is refer you to the text of Contemplative.

It requires the ability to cast 1st level divine spells. It progresses any casting (but has a preferential listing -- if you have a divine class, you have to advance that). If you do not have a divine class, then it gives you divine casting. This is the part that I get yelled at for. Most folks say that the divine casting is a replacement for advancement, but I see nothing (except perhaps the table) that indicates that is the RAW. I believe you get both if you can get in with an Arcane casting class and no divine casting class. That means that if you advance Contemplative with RKV, then you also advance your base arcane spellcasting, because you get spells, etc. as though you had gained another level in Contemplative.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-29, 09:12 AM
Sha'ir, from Dragon Compendium, is a base class that casts both arcane and divine spells. The divine casting is limited, but gives access to divine PrCs; the arcane casting is drawn off the sorc/wiz list.

That and Alternative Source Spell will give you divine versions of the entire sorc/wiz list.

Honestly, though, domains are pretty encompassing. A LOT of arcane spells are accessible as divine via a domain, so all you have to do is find a cleric with the appropriate domain willing to help you with a scroll of it.

Dexter, I think the problem is that while text does trump table...the absence of text does not trump tables. The same logic could be used to show that, for instance, wizard spells at a given level are undefined. Obviously, this is not the intended interpretation. Tables still have rules value, it's just that text takes priority over it if there's an obvious conflict.

deuxhero
2011-11-29, 09:25 AM
Sourth Magician?

Curious
2011-11-29, 09:27 AM
Divine Bard.

dextercorvia
2011-11-29, 10:22 AM
Southern Magician and Alternative Source spell will get you in to RKV, but he wants to advance it.

@Tyndmyr -- that is probably the best argument against my reading I have seen. I'll have to think about it.

kardar233
2011-11-29, 10:26 AM
I don't think any of those will be helpful.

To be more specific, I'm working on a build for Rubik's "If You Could Rebuild Yourself..." thread. It's going to be an Archivist11/Contemplative1/Spelldancer2/Divine Oracle2/Warblade2/?????2//Warblade4/Wizard (or other Divine-qualifying Arcane class)1/RKV7/Iot7V 7/Warblade 1.

dextercorvia
2011-11-29, 10:42 AM
Sha'ir is probably your best bet.

Failing that, it would take Rainbow Servant 10.

A_S
2011-11-29, 10:58 AM
Doesn't the Archivist from the other side qualify you for RKV? Or are you restricting yourself to qualifying with class features from a single side? (Is that an actual rule that I just didn't know about?)

*edit* Oh, I see, you're trying to get both arcane and divine progression in with maneuvers.

kardar233
2011-11-29, 01:11 PM
I'll take a look at Sha'ir.

Rubik's specific rule for that is that all the progression, qualifying classes and such has to be on one side of the gestalt.

Plus, I'm already progessing Archivist on the other side of the gestalt, and it would be nice to have some fancy (possibly persistable due to Naenhoon) Wizard spells on the other side. Plus I needed the action economy from RKV and didn't think I would get enough out of Factotum.