PDA

View Full Version : +2 LA or lower races/templates help

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 04:02 PM
In an upcoming campaign, my DM said we can have 2 LA for free and it won't affect our level. So for example if I took half-celestial, it'd effectively only be +2 LA instead of the normal +4 LA. He did not give a restriction to the amount of templates under LA 2 and it can go higher than 2.

My question, is what would be a good combo race/template wise to make my character? I'm looking for him to be Large for War Hulk/ Hulking Hurler.

If you have a better idea for character fluff/cheese instead of War Hulk/ Hulking Hurler, don't be afraid to say that as well. I could always change my mind if it's a good idea.

Any and all input would be gladly appreciated.

All 3.5 and dragon material are allowed. I could also probably use some 3.0 stuff if it was not translated to 3.5.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-29, 04:09 PM
The Warhulking Hurler is a classic archetype, and with 2 free LA you can get there a lot easier than without.

If you wanna play a one-trick pony (ignoring the fact that his trick is throwing planets...), Warhulking Hurler is one of the more fun ways to do it.

For starters, Half-Minotaur and Lolth-Touched are both +1 LA templates.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 04:18 PM
Yes but don't you have to be CE for Lolth touched?

Half Minotaur was already one of the possible +1 LA I was thinking of using.

kardar233
2011-11-29, 04:19 PM
Half-Minotaur Lolth-Touched Arctic Illumian (Aeshkrau).

Add Mineral Warrior if you want.

See if you can get the Aeshkrau sigil to apply to psionics. Laugh.

Otherwise:

White Dragonspawn Spellscale Spellhoarding Arctic Dragonwrought Kobold.

Snowbluff
2011-11-29, 04:19 PM
Half nymph is great for anything.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 04:23 PM
Half nymph is great for anything.

My friend is actually going to use half Nymph/Elf I believe.

Snowbluff
2011-11-29, 04:28 PM
My friend is actually going to use half Nymph/Elf I believe.

I am sorry for your DM! :smallcool:

Rubik
2011-11-29, 04:31 PM
If you're going for a war hulking hurler, add in Fling Ally and some bloodstorm blade, and see if you can go with a halfling master thrower, and buy (for cheap!) a titanic magebred warbeast fleshraker dinosaur.

Godzilla pinball, FOR THE LULZ!

Now, what templates could make a halfling Huge sized?

Or just buy a psychoactive skin of proteus. What level are you starting at?

Snowbluff
2011-11-29, 04:36 PM
If you're going for a war hulking hurler, add in Fling Ally and some bloodstorm blade, and see if you can go with a halfling master thrower, and buy (for cheap!) a titanic magebred warbeast fleshraker dinosaur.

Wow, where can I get the sources for buying one of those?

Rubik
2011-11-29, 04:40 PM
Wow, where can I get the sources for buying one of those?

{{scrubbed}}

And it costs about 2k gp, too.

JaronK
2011-11-29, 04:42 PM
Half Minotaur is obvious... +12 Str and a size increase, plus a huge amount of Con and some Natural Armor, is amazing for just +1LA. Onto that add either Lolth Touched (+6 Con, +6 Str, fear immunity, 1LA) or Mineral Warrior (less Str, strong DR, burrowing, 1LA) and put the combination on a Water Orc (+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 all mental stats, 0LA).

A Half Minotaur Lolth Touched Water Orc has the following racial stats at LA+2: +22 Str, -2 Dex, +14 Con, -4 Int, -2 Cha, +4 Natural Armor, Large, Track Feat, Darkvision 60', Scent, Movement 40', Swim 40', +2 on Search, Spot, and Listen, +4 Hide and Move Silently, Immune to Fear, 1d8 Gore, Always know north and +4 to escape Maze, light sensitivity.

You should have no trouble hurling everything.

JaronK

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 04:57 PM
Half Minotaur is obvious... +12 Str and a size increase, plus a huge amount of Con and some Natural Armor, is amazing for just +1LA. Onto that add either Lolth Touched (+6 Con, +6 Str, fear immunity, 1LA) or Mineral Warrior (less Str, strong DR, burrowing, 1LA) and put the combination on a Water Orc (+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 all mental stats, 0LA).

Well I asked my DM and he said that drow will not exist, and Lolth will not either. So Lolth touched is ousted.

However mineral warrior sounds pretty good for the half Minotaur mineral warrior water Orc.

Are there any other templates or anything that Gould get thrown on there? The free +2 LA is used up but I can have more than just +2 overall.

EDIT: Scratch that, no orcs either...

JaronK
2011-11-29, 05:02 PM
Honestly, Half Minotaur Mineral Warrior Water Orc is about as far as I'd go. From there, just level up and get the War Hulk levels as soon as you can (once you've got your Hulking Hurler levels of course). Getting the ability to hit everything in melee range with every attack would be awfully nice.

JaronK

Essence_of_War
2011-11-29, 05:04 PM
I might even just skip water orc and put half-minotaur onto half-giant or goliath races. You'll end up with both large size AND powerful build so for many situations you'll count as huge. Pretty terrifying. You can still layer on mineral warrior, if you want more LA on top of that.

If you want a very simple choice, half-ogre race is LA+2, gets you large sized, and it would be a fine choice as well.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-29, 05:12 PM
Actually, if you use the DragMag version of Half-Ogre, you can apply it to a Half-Minotaur for only the +1 from Half-Minotaur.

The text states that the LA is +0 if you don't gain a size category from Half-Ogre.

Essence_of_War
2011-11-29, 05:14 PM
Just make sure you note that there are two distinct half-ogres. The template in dragon mag, the race in races of destiny. :smallsmile:

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-29, 05:37 PM
Yeah. The SS version was updated in RoD. The template is much tamer, until you consider that you can slap it on a Half-Minotaur for LA +0.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 07:26 PM
That sounds awesome! How about half Minotaur half ogre mineral warrior? That'd be some pretty awesomesauce strength you'd get.

First levels before grabbing hulking hurler, fighter or barbarian? Or is there a better choice than the latter?

Gotta use the RoD one so no free half ogre :(

Anything else? Haha

Essence_of_War
2011-11-29, 07:52 PM
First levels before grabbing hulking hurler, fighter or barbarian? Or is there a better choice than the latter?

Fighter for the Dungeoncrasher ACF is pretty ridiculous with this.

Warblade is always great as well.

Aegis013
2011-11-29, 09:35 PM
Feral from Savage Species is an amazing +1 LA template for whatever.

Saint from BoED is a +2 LA template that is quite good (although you need 3 exalted feats and level 6 to gain it)

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 09:56 PM
So i think I've narrowed it down to two combinations.

Half Minotaur dragonborn mineral warrior:
+16 str/ -2 dex/ +8 con/ -4 int/ -2 wis/ +0 cha
Scent
Natural armor +5
+10 movespeed
Darkvision
Track
Dragon fury
Dragon breath
Burrow speed
DR/8 adamantine
Earthstrike 1/day

Half Minotaur Goliath dragonborn
+18 str/ -4 dex/ +8 con/ -2 int/ +0 wis/ +2 cha
Darkvision
Scent
Track
Dragon fury
Dragon breath
Powerful Build

So, what are the opinions on these?

Also am thinking of using the Dungeoncrasher Fighter.

Rubik
2011-11-29, 09:58 PM
Half Minotaur dragonborn mineral warrior:What's the base race? I vote warforged.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 10:00 PM
What's the base race? I vote warforged.

Oh wow I forgot about the base race haha. If I can be a Warforged, definitely will do that but I might not be able to.

Curious
2011-11-29, 11:04 PM
Oh wow I forgot about the base race haha. If I can be a Warforged, definitely will do that but I might not be able to.

You totally can, and since you keep your subtype, you keep all the sweet immunities after you go Dragonborn.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-29, 11:17 PM
I'm both joyful and fearful for this characters creation and play in the campaign.

I'm thinking about doing the half Minotaur Goliath just because then I can be large with a powerful build.

Also, just a thought. Being large with powerful build and monkey grip, could you wield a gargantuan weapon 2 handed?