PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Wizard or Barbarian?

Rossebay
2011-11-29, 05:45 PM
Current Party: Ranger (Skirmisher Variant), Rogue, and a Witch. Currently playing a good fighter in a party of evildoers, and (unbeknowest to the DM) we're going to kill off the good guy.
Funny how that works.
Anyway, so I'm really looking into making an evil character, but I don't know what I should use. Sorcerer has always resonated with me more than Wizard (and I was considering saving Wizard for a later campaign(which is 3/4 of a year away)), and Barbarian seems to fill a party gap without breaking our Tier 3 and below-ish party.

Wizard is very powerful, though.
It's really a toss up, but we're rolling scores, no point buy, and the first set is the set we're stuck with. Wizard really only needs Intelligence, and decent constitution and dexterity, while Barbarian needs great strength and consitution, as well as some dexterity.

Open to Archetypes. Also, Sorcerer is a consideration.

Another question: If I'm a wizard, Bonded Object, or Familiar?

Blyte
2011-11-29, 09:03 PM
What level?

grarrrg
2011-11-29, 11:20 PM
Wizard is very powerful, though.
It's really a toss up, but we're rolling scores, no point buy, and the first set is the set we're stuck with. Wizard really only needs Intelligence, and decent constitution and dexterity, while Barbarian needs great strength and consitution, as well as some dexterity.

Open to Archetypes. Also, Sorcerer is a consideration.

TAKE BOTH THE CLASSES!
Barb+Sorc > Dragon Disciple!

That is, assuming you get decent enough rolls.

Slipperychicken
2011-11-29, 11:50 PM
Roll the stats first, because you want the right stats. Ask yourself: has the party been severely lacking in damage output? Do we keep running into situations that a spell would solve, but we don't have the spell ready? And most importantly: What do you *want* to play? You might just want to hit things really hard. You might want to tell physics to shut up and sit down. You might want to cast spells while having expendable minions give you your "hitting things" fix (summoner wizard/base class Summoner). You might not want to think about which spells to prepare or cast for a given day. You might even want to be a Barbarian Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049).

Psyren
2011-11-30, 08:44 AM
If you can't decide, why not Magus? You get some casty and some slashy instead of having to choose. The fact that you're even considering Wizard means you want more options than simply "I rage+charge", but you're right in that your party could use another frontliner.

Or you could go with a Synthesist Summoner to really break some faces.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-30, 11:37 AM
Only with a particular interpretation by RAW. Not saying you can't do it, but Guyver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bio_Booster_Armor_Guyver) maybe less awesome then some people think, depending on DM.
Still, it does sound pretty awesome.

Blyte
2011-11-30, 08:25 PM
either way you go wiz or barb you step on the toes of either the witch or the ranger...

why not round out the party with a healer, cleric or oracle... assuming of course that the party actually works together...

if you are set on barb or wiz, it's hard not going wiz in an evil game since you have so much havoc you can unleash... but if you go barb I think fiend totem line will be pretty neato thematically, since you can make him look like hell boy.