PDA

View Full Version : Paladin

elvengunner69
2011-11-29, 06:35 PM
So playing a Paladin for the first time - only lvl 2. I'm not looking for ultimate optimization but would like help with a good solid build.

He's a half-orc Paladin in Faerun campaign setting. First feat I took was Power Attack.

Trying to keep it PH, PH2, PH to Faerun and some of the supplements like Complete Divine for advancement.

Any comments/suggestions will be welcome :)

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-29, 06:44 PM
Cough, races of destiny half Orc paladin variant, er cough.

I like it.

sonofzeal
2011-11-29, 06:49 PM
In Core, there's not that many options. Get a Wand of Cure Light Wounds asap though.

Big Fau
2011-11-29, 06:59 PM
So playing a Paladin for the first time - only lvl 2. I'm not looking for ultimate optimization but would like help with a good solid build.

He's a half-orc Paladin in Faerun campaign setting. First feat I took was Power Attack.

Trying to keep it PH, PH2, PH to Faerun and some of the supplements like Complete Divine for advancement.

Any comments/suggestions will be welcome :)

Ok, you've got most of the setup. We can solve the whole "half-orc" problem, but we need to know if FC1 is open for you. :smallamused:

On a more serious note, Paladin+Half-Orc=Bad mix. Hell, Paladin or Half-Orc alone is a bad choice. That said, it's possible to optimize the concept up a tier or so.

Charging Smite (PH2), Power Attack, Leap Attack (CAdv), and everyone's favorite feat, Shock Trooper (CW) will go a long way to helping your build out. If you don't want to be a glass cannon, the other option is Combat Brute (CW).

Tactical Smite (CC) is also decent. Battle Blessing (CC) is a must-have if you plan on using your Paladin spells at all.

elvengunner69
2011-11-29, 07:29 PM
awesome - is there a good multi-class option as well once I hit around lvl 4 or 5 maybe?

Flickerdart
2011-11-29, 07:31 PM
Champions of Valor has a ton of Paladin sub levels, and some of them are even good, so take a look if you want to trade out some of your junk. See if you can get Complete Champion for access to Battle Blessing, and Spell Compendium for access to the great Paladin spells.

sonofzeal
2011-11-29, 07:36 PM
awesome - is there a good multi-class option as well once I hit around lvl 4 or 5 maybe?
Depends what you mean. Problem is, you generally have to dump either your mount, your casting, or your full-BAB status. It can be worth it, depending what you're going for. Warblade and Crusader (both ToB) are excellent dips for most melee classes. I've used the Fist of Raziel PrC (BoED) and enjoyed it. Anointed Knight and Vassal of Bahamut (BoED) are both decent too. Really, you could just scan through BoED and CDiv, and compare against these lists (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5198.0) for some ideas.

Oh, and Grey Guard might be good, depending on your campaign. If Batman were a Paladin, he'd be a Grey Guard.

Big Fau
2011-11-29, 07:37 PM

The best options are Fighter 2 or Fighter 6, and prestige classing out to Grey Guard or some other class. In general, you should not worry about your spellcasting progression at all unless you plan to make use of Battle Blessing (in which case you will need the help).

Crusader (Bo9S) into RKV (same book) is a solid idea once you get turning and spellcasting, or you can replace your original spellcasting options by taking Divine Crusader (CD). There are several ways to mix the two options, and it can be very efficient.

If you aren't going to focus on your casting, you should try to mix Fighter levels with Crusader/Warblade (Bo9S).

Flickerdart
2011-11-29, 10:38 PM
Do remember that Paladins have that weird clause against multiclassing, so if you leave, you can never go back and pick up a few more levels.

If you want to multiclass out of Paladin early, you won't get much mileage out of the spells, so take the Holy Warrior variant (Complete Champion) and use it to grab Divine Might (Complete Warrior) to turn your Charisma into damage.

Safety Sword
2011-11-29, 11:17 PM
Do remember that Paladins have that weird clause against multiclassing, so if you leave, you can never go back and pick up a few more levels.

If you want to multiclass out of Paladin early, you won't get much mileage out of the spells, so take the Holy Warrior variant (Complete Champion) and use it to grab Divine Might (Complete Warrior) to turn your Charisma into damage.

Depending on the deity some Paladins can freely multiclass in Faerun.

elvengunner69
2011-11-30, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the ideas :elan: