PDA

View Full Version : Handle Animal

killem2
2011-11-29, 06:42 PM
I learned more about this skill in complete adventure and various online sources as well. One thing that stuck out was rearing an animal. it says its 15 + HD of the animal and then stats it must be in infancy.

So technically, if you found one, could you rear a baby lion, polar bear, or if you are feeling really brave, a rhino, IF you found it as a baby?

sonofzeal
2011-11-29, 06:48 PM
Indeed.

Also - if you're interested in making real use of Handle Animal, I advise you to check out "Bubs the Commoner" in my sig.

killem2
2011-12-01, 06:55 PM
Is there a limit to how many animals someone can have?

Could I get a team of riding dogs to be able to drive a sled for me through the frozen tundra, or team up as a personal armada at my single command?

sonofzeal
2011-12-01, 07:06 PM
Is there a limit to how many animals someone can have?

Could I get a team of riding dogs to be able to drive a sled for me through the frozen tundra, or team up as a personal armada at my single command?
DM discretion. The RAW mentions no such limit, although TIME might be a factor here.

killem2
2011-12-12, 12:58 AM
Update, today we were jumped by a brown bear. It charged us, and was aggressive. It left our party with no choice but to kill it. Soon after, we heard the newly born cub whining. We took it, we didn't know what to do with it.

My wizard has *some* points in handle animal, I could not rear it, but my ranger buddy did. I offered to take it under my wing and raise it, they agreed that someone should and no one else wanted to have the responsibility. Sure, now it is a burden, but later on, watch out!

My question is though, how do you determine the age and growth of something like this? How will I know when this bear is useable for adventures?

sonofzeal
2011-12-12, 01:44 AM
DM discretion, really. You could research the life cycle of an average bear, but given most campaigns take far less than a year in-game I would suggest that this approach is going to be pretty worthless; by the time it matures into a fully-grown bear it'll be useless in combat and the group will spend more effort keeping it alive than actually defeating enemies.

Coidzor
2011-12-12, 02:22 AM
However, the character is a wizard.

The answer here is obvious.

Bear Butler.