PDA

View Full Version : Help with an spread out/thin character (charging/tripping/sneak attacking/TWFing)

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-30, 01:48 AM
So I have a character that is trying to do way too much but I don't care about him being min/maxed, just as functional and frustrating as possible.

Because of his homebrew class and some friendly hiuseruling by our DM, he has some really interesting combat synergy with his spiked-chain that allows him to use INT for all opposed skill rolls like trip. As a skill-monkey base class, he a ton of ranks in all the traditional rogue skills and the DM allowed the house rule to switch the spiked chain to a 1d6/1d6 double weapon as a swift action if I make a slight of hand check. Also, part of his class will basically allow him to pounce if he makes a tumble check, which my character is quite adept at. He'll also be basically unflankable and un-flat foot-able quite soon. A collar of umbral metamorphosis is on the docket so hide in plain sight will be in effect.

I'm basically looking to try and get the best the different feat trees and combat tricks of while acknowledging I won't be able to master any of them. As the primary weapon user in the group, I really like the idea of having this character who burst into to combat with sneak attacks and then frustrate and control opponents around him with his reach and AoO's, punish flanked or flat-footed characters and then charge across the battlefield to pounce enemies or escape getting overwhelmed.

I know some people will suggest to drop the TWF but it's already a part of the character and the concept that I've discussed with the DM.

How would you guys suggest me getting the most out of all these abilities? Which feats do you guys consider the most essential that will also stay relevant at higher levels without total devotion to one style? I'm already looking to find some strongarm bracers to make the trip/reach/AoO nonsense for annoying. What other magic items would be good ways to maximize these abilities? I already have Craven and will get improved trip at the next level. I really like stand still and knock down looks interesting but I don't know much about the various Charge must-haves.

Remember, this is a int/dex based character with no strength, but he can add INT to combat maneuvers like trip and disarm and last but not least, the DM is very flexible on the rules as long as we can make a good case for what we want and generally will just make us spend some RP/game time to do things that are technically against the rules (like houseruling the spiked chain switch ability required me to go seek out a master of the weapon to teach it to me.)

I tried to edit the original post down because it was way too rambling.. I just can help it though. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-30, 02:32 AM
Oh yeah, he also has the abrupt jaunt ACF and will eventually move to a Shadowlord of Telflammar homebrew variant.

Allanimal
2011-11-30, 06:37 AM
I think we need the specifics about this home brew class and the house rules, what sources are allowed, etc. before anyone can help.

Darrin
2011-11-30, 07:46 AM
You might want to look at Person_Man's Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) build. It's not really a feat-intensive build, but there are lots of ideas in the Combos section. Easy enough to dip Barbarian 2 for Improved Trip or Fighter 2 for a couple feats.

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-30, 12:31 PM
I think we need the specifics about this home brew class and the house rules, what sources are allowed, etc. before anyone can help.

Pretty much anything we can find and show to the DM as WotC related he'll most like accept, as long as it's not an obviously going to break things.

The homebrew is a rogue/swashbuckler remix that pushes them into a strong teir three range. It was found on this forum if you really want to dig through the whole thing it can be found here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188150

It basically combines the strengths of both the rogue and the swashbuckler abd combines them while giving them even more skill points.

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-30, 12:36 PM
You might want to look at Person_Man's Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) build. It's not really a feat-intensive build, but there are lots of ideas in the Combos section. Easy enough to dip Barbarian 2 for Improved Trip or Fighter 2 for a couple feats.

Very cool! That thread has all sorts of things that appeal to me as the primary wiidget/skills monkey in the party.

Psyren
2011-11-30, 01:28 PM
The homebrew is a rogue/swashbuckler remix that pushes them into a strong teir three range. It was found on this forum if you really want to dig through the whole thing it can be found here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188150

Nah, that thing is T4 at best. I see no way to deal with fliers, invisible/incorporeal opponents, swarms, terrain disadvantages, fight underwater, negative levels, ability damage/drain etc. And even if it has magic items it can UMD to get around these situations (which it has to get from the DM/Magic Mart, since it can't craft any), you can't reliably UMD in combat until 12. It's also weak at fighting at range (thrown weapons have low increments, and magic/special material ones are too expensive to toss around indiscriminately.) Finally, the will save is a weakness that is easily exploited even after level 12 when they can pick up Slippery Mind.

Also, he built it for 3.5, yet attempted to give it PF's sneak attack. If he really wanted to do that he needs to rename the ability, because certain 3.5 monster type entries (e.g. constructs) still state things like "immune to sneak attack" and his wording does not even attempt to contradict that. ("Such as oozes and swarms" does not mean "this can affect undead and constructs.")

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-30, 01:49 PM
As an aside, I'm not asking for a complete build or anything that intensive from people.. I think the easiest way to think of what I'm asking for is: if you could apply 2-4 feats to any of those abilities or tactics, what would be your must haves? Like with sneak attack, almost everyone says craven is a must, then perhaps staggering strike or darkstalker? For the tripping, obviously getting to improved trip is mandatory (I'm taking Fighter 2 to get the feats, which I'll have at next level). Charge I don't know much about and I'll definitely want to maximize my TWF as much as reasonable.

Magic items, I already have some gloves of dex and a cloak of elvenkind, I've let my DM know I'm actively looking for a collar of umbral metamorphosis and strongarm bracers. Anything that can grant abilities or boost any of those combat tactics...

Lictor of Thrax
2011-11-30, 02:06 PM
Nah, that thing is T4 at best. I see no way to deal with fliers, invisible/incorporeal opponents, swarms, terrain disadvantages, fight underwater, negative levels, ability damage/drain etc. And even if it has magic items it can UMD to get around these situations (which it has to get from the DM/Magic Mart, since it can't craft any), you can't reliably UMD in combat until 12. It's also weak at fighting at range (thrown weapons have low increments, and magic/special material ones are too expensive to toss around indiscriminately.) Finally, the will save is a weakness that is easily exploited even after level 12 when they can pick up Slippery Mind.

Also, he built it for 3.5, yet attempted to give it PF's sneak attack. If he really wanted to do that he needs to rename the ability, because certain 3.5 monster type entries (e.g. constructs) still state things like "immune to sneak attack" and his wording does not even attempt to contradict that. ("Such as oozes and swarms" does not mean "this can affect undead and constructs.")

I would assume that considering it's a notable improvement over the classic rogue that it would be considered at least t4 but really I was just saying that based off of what other people said, I'm certainly to inexperienced playing 3.5 to really know, I just liked what his remix added without having to multi class as much with rogue and swashbuckler.

As far as the sneak attack, yeah, he just altered how it functions and the DM agreed with his logic (or, really, just disagreed with 3.x's version of it, whichever).

We the furthest thing from a powergaming group considering that it's just myself and three close friends who want to have a fun game exploring this world he's been designing for two or three years, thus why I mentioned there being a lot of flexibility to certain restrictions like race and class stuff (and we may also include some of the feat tax reductions and skill combinings that homebrewers have come up with.) Also, two of the players, myself and a dragon Shaman remix, are at best tier three while the third player is a cleric, so there's little concern about either of us getting OP.