PDA

View Full Version : New Mutants & Masterminds SRD Site

jreyst
2011-11-30, 08:41 AM
Check it out at http://www.d20herosrd.com. This is a free site with Open Game Content portion of the rules for the Mutants and Masterminds 3E game system. The site is not 100% complete yet as it still needs full linking and more formatting but all of the rules are present. As time progresses I'll be adding much more linkage back to Green Ronin promoting their various products both on this site and likely on d20pfsrd.com (the Pathfinder SRD) that I also manage.

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think!

--john

prufock
2011-11-30, 10:10 PM
I wasn't even aware M&M HAD an open license! This page could come in handy.

One basic criticism: I have to scroll too much. Would it be possible to have nested links on the left that expand when you click the main link? Also seems to have a lot of wasted space at the top. I don't know if the ad is part of your website agreement or whatever, but the actual rules text doesn't start until halfway down the page. Any way to get that moved up?

Some editing things you may or may not already have noticed:

At the end of the "Extra Effort" section, it looks like there was meant to be more there. It says:

Increase the hero’s Strength rank by +1 until the start of the hero’s next turn.
chemicals are close at hand. Now you just have to use them!
In comic book stories, heroes often confront the villain(s) and deal with various setbacks. Perhaps the villain defeats or outwits them in the first couple scenes. Maybe one or more of the heroes have to overcome a personal problem. The villain may have a secret the heroes need to discover, and so forth. By the end of the story, the heroes have overcome these challenges and they’re ready to take on the villain.

Some of your tables under Advantages are shagged up as well.

All in all a good resource, but could use a more link-oriented navigation/organization. I'm a fan of d20srd.org because it's so simple and has good navigation through links, including a breadcrumb.

jreyst
2011-12-01, 01:03 PM
Yep. There are only two pieces of M&M 3E that are NOT declared as Open Game Content, Hero Points and Action Points. I've renamed those on the site to something else. Anyway...

I am still very early in the layout and breakdown process, meaning, the few pages you see will eventually be broken out into pages with subpages, linked in the menu. That should reduce scrolling significantly, especially on longer pages (like the Powers page.)

The Editing note for Extra Effort is exactly what I was hoping people would alert me to. The process of making these pages involves a ton of copy and pasting and some scripted steps... sometimes some paragraphs got split into two or more places. I'll get that fixed asap.

I also run d20pfsrd.com and if you've used that you'll see the level of linkage and organization I plan to implement here. It's just not an immediate process :)

Thanks for the comments though!

jreyst
2011-12-01, 02:08 PM
Ok, that page and section are now fixed!

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-01, 03:28 PM
This'll come in handy, since I bought 3rd Edition in hardcopy. Thanks!

jreyst
2011-12-01, 04:07 PM
Awesome! Tell your friends! Tell your mammy! Tell your pappy!

:biggrin:

OFWGKTA
2011-12-01, 08:26 PM
This is awesome, to bad I won't be able to access it much due to stupid Job Corp rules.

jreyst
2011-12-02, 08:46 AM
Quit your job! Game all day! Surf the web! Everyone's doing it! :biggrin:

Starsign
2011-12-02, 11:44 AM
Ooh wow! This will be very useful. I don't have the 3e book, but this SRD should be enough to get me to make a character to play. :smallbiggrin:

jreyst
2011-12-02, 11:57 AM
Glad it will be helpful! As always, if you like the system you are encouraged to purchase the book or other supplements from Green Ronin to support them making more products in the future!

prufock
2011-12-02, 05:04 PM
If you haven't done it already, you should also provide an e-mail address so people can send you any errors they find. I looked for an e-mail link but couldn't find one.

Beleriphon
2011-12-02, 05:16 PM
My one suggestion would to change the layout of the abilities (strength, dexterity, et al) in the archetypes. I'll use the paragon as an example.

Currently they look like this:
{table]STRENGTH|AGILITY|FIGHTING|AWARENESS|STAMINA|DEXTER ITY
INTELLECT|PRESENCE
12|3|8|1|12|3
0|1[/table]

I thik the following would be easier to read:
{table]STRENGTH|AGILITY|FIGHTING|AWARENESS
12|3|8|1
STAMINA|DEXTERITY|INTELLECT|PRESENCE
12|3|0|1[/table]

jreyst
2011-12-02, 05:47 PM
Great suggestions. I'll implement asap. Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

jreyst
2011-12-03, 12:30 AM
Email address added to top left section of the page and the archetype layout of abilities has been rearranged per suggestion!

jreyst
2011-12-03, 12:33 PM
Free-to-use Images added to the Archetype pages today!

Delwugor
2011-12-04, 11:48 PM
Thank you very much for the work! I've only flipped through the DCA book and this will help me get a feel for the changes.
I like the colors and basic layout, is it the same as the book?
The scrolling is good for continuous reading, but for quicker navigation and jumping around I'd suggest adding sub-section links in the TOC or at the top of the sections.
Or you could add in a page type orientation based on sub-sections and then the TOC subsection links go to the page. This would reduce all the page scrolling but still keep the readability.
Advantage and Power tables seem to be blank with the information underneath.

jreyst
2011-12-05, 12:30 PM
The tables with text beneath them just haven't been completed yet. I'm getting to each one each time I have a few minutes to spare.

I also will be adding tables of links (such as what I've done on the main page now) but just like the table text, I just haven't had time to get them all yet. If you look at d20pfsrd.com and how that site is laid out (with link menu tables at top of pages) that's how I'll be doing this site.

Please keep the comments coming and also please do feel free to post links on your blogs or campaign sites! :)

jreyst
2011-12-17, 03:44 PM
Did some more "structuring" today, as in, moving some things around to try to make things more organizationally logical. Love to hear if you guys think its an improvement or if you have other ideas.