PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks, Prc?

bluthunda
2011-11-30, 09:55 AM
Just how soon should you PrC out of Warlock and what PrC do you recommend?
probably going to be Chaotic Evil or Neutral Evil the character will be lvl 11 also what Race do you suggest maybe one with a charisma bonus ? LA +2 or less.

Krazzman
2011-11-30, 10:05 AM
Human as race. (Or pixie if you wnat to be riddiculus).

PrC's could be Hellfire Warlock if you really want to blast or the ones out of Complete Mage.

Deathslayer7
2011-11-30, 10:06 AM
hellfire warlock is good if you are dealing with fiends or have dealt with fiends, i.e. backstory. It is from Fiendish Codex II

Only 3 levels but worth every level.

Keneth
2011-11-30, 10:08 AM
Apart from Hellfire Warlock (which you should get and max out as soon as possible), there's Chameleon. If you go the hellfire way, you'll probably also want to dip into binder or incarnate to offset the con damage.

It would help if you told us what kind of build you intend to play. Race? Stats? Do you want to blast? Play support/control?

Edit: Ninja'd a bit. The Eldritch Disciple is also quite awesome if you multi into a divine class.

Edit 2: Here, read this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0) thread on BG.

bluthunda
2011-11-30, 10:15 AM
lets see its a pretty over powered campaign played with a dread necromancer and an Alienist i was thinking something fiendish for the race or undead evil as can be right lol. its mostly gonna be a caster/blaster type not a melee type.

bluthunda
2011-11-30, 10:21 AM
this isn't really same subject but i'm also considering a Sorcerer instead of the warlock would i be better off going with the sorc and doing more evocation instead?

Keneth
2011-11-30, 10:21 AM
Well strictly speaking the best warlock blasters (glaivelock and clawlock) are both kinda melee.

Psyren
2011-11-30, 10:22 AM
The best Warlock ability is at level 4, so any time after that is fine. (Most PrCs won't let you out until 6 anyway.) The only other breakpoint I'd recommend is 12 if you want to be a crafterlock.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-30, 10:40 AM
I'm currently playing a clawlock, gotta say it's a lot of fun with the damage output in melee. Eldritch claws + Beast Strike = Eldritch Blast +2x unarmed +str =awesomesauce.

That said, I plan on going into Hellfire Warlock but before I do, I'm going to take a 1 level dip into Binder so I can get Naberius and not have to worry about the con damage. Also, you could take shape soulmeld feat and get a Strongheart Vest I believe.

It depends on what you want to be. Regardless of whether you want to be a blaster or melee warlock, I'd suggest Hellfire Warlock and one of the two ways suggested earlier on how to get rid of the con damage.

FMArthur
2011-11-30, 10:51 AM
lets see its a pretty over powered campaign played with a dread necromancer and an Alienist i was thinking something fiendish for the race or undead evil as can be right lol. its mostly gonna be a caster/blaster type not a melee type.

Well races with level adjustments - meaning most fiendish races - are almost always the opposite of overpowered unless you're getting the level adjustment waived by your DM or using Lesser Tiefling.

this isn't really same subject but i'm also considering a Sorcerer instead of the warlock would i be better off going with the sorc and doing more evocation instead?
One thing the Sorcerer can do to sort of obviate the Warlock's role is take Reserve Feats found in Complete Mage. Reserve Feats give you an ability that you can use an unlimited number of times as long as you have a particular [element] spell available to cast. The strength of the effect is dependent on the highest level [element] spell you are still able to cast, so simply having the Heighten Spell feat makes your Reserve Feats always keep up with your highest level slots.

The Reserve Feats that in particular offer Warlock-esque blasting are Acidic Splatter, Fiery Burst, Storm Bolt and Winter's Blast (obviously you don't need all of them). Doing this would grant you the power and utility of a sorcerer's spells while also giving you lots of battle stamina if that's what you're worried about.

Wyntonian
2011-11-30, 11:05 AM
If you're looking for a decent-ish race, I'm starting to like halflings more and more. +1 to hit for size, +1 from dex for all those ranged touch attacks, AC bonus from size, and weapon sizes are irrelevant if you're just shooting EB's all-day-erry-day. Not as good as some alternatives, probably, but possibly the best in core.

Re'ozul
2011-11-30, 11:16 AM
Is the +2 LA for free or actually in your progress? (Does the character ECL you start with include the LA or is it given as a bonus?)

nedz
2011-11-30, 05:39 PM
I quite like Half-Fey. Its +2 LA, but you get all manner of SLAs which add flexibility.
But Sorceror >> Warlock.

Snowbluff
2011-11-30, 05:53 PM
Using Champion of Legacy will let you will let you progress HF Warlock for maxinum hellfire. Shape Soul Meld will let you get a Stongheart Vest, whihc will absorb the Con damage.

OracleofSilence
2011-11-30, 05:54 PM
People have mentioned Hellfire Warlock before, but they forgot its 10 other levels. After you finish Hellfire Warlock, take Legacy Champion. It advances class features, and thus, sends your Hellfire Blasts damage through the roof. Like +22d6 through the roof.

Assuming you can get access to Legacy Weapons, which fairly few campaigns have, it is about as good a set This goes well with Glaivelocks, so you would be melee with invocations backing, not so much the other way around.

edit: ooooooh the Ninjas

Snowbluff
2011-11-30, 05:59 PM
edit: ooooooh the Ninjas

I don't play low power. i only roll SwordSage!

OracleofSilence
2011-11-30, 06:07 PM
Figures. I gotta speed up that typing...

Snowbluff
2011-11-30, 06:17 PM
Figures. I gotta speed up that typing...

Since you know stuff about warlock, can you help me in my warlock thread?

OracleofSilence
2011-11-30, 06:58 PM
What thread? Send me a link. I'll see what i can do.

Snowbluff
2011-11-30, 07:01 PM
What thread? Send me a link. I'll see what i can do.

Send you link to my "Warlock Build Help" thread.

golem1972
2011-11-30, 08:56 PM
Hellfire warlock requires 12 ranks in a skill, so your first level can be taken at 10th. Max legacy champion levels pre-epic is 9 if you take a level of LC before your Hellfire levels for +7 hellfire progression (20d6 hellfire total).

Barring favored contact abuse.

If you don't want to go the hellfire melee route, you might try ur-priest or other fast progression class plus the warlock dual progression prcs.

Snowbluff
2011-11-30, 09:01 PM
Hellfire warlock requires 12 ranks in a skill, so your first level can be taken at 10th. Max legacy champion levels pre-epic is 9 if you take a level of LC before your Hellfire levels for +7 hellfire progression (20d6 hellfire total).

Barring favored contact abuse.

If you don't want to go the hellfire melee route, you might try ur-priest or other fast progression class plus the warlock dual progression prcs.

Legacy Champ requires (!!!) Level 10. levels 9-12 are for HF lock, and 13-20 are for LC, which is 8 levels.

I would like to hear more about Favored Contact. What is that?

OracleofSilence
2011-11-30, 10:13 PM
Favored Contact (actually Primary Contact) is a feat that lets you raise your skill ranks in a single skill by 1, even if doing so would put it above your maximum number of skills. Hypothetically, you could take the feat several times fo different skills, and then retrain the skills and feats after the fact, since the feat explicitly says you keep it even if you lose your contact, which the feat grants (basically)

Tokuhara
2011-11-30, 10:57 PM
I am actually a fan of this:

Race: Sparrow Hengeyokai
Class: Warlock 6/Ur Priest 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Eldritch Disciple 10

I like to call it the Eldritch Defiler.

OracleofSilence
2011-11-30, 11:07 PM
Its in Cityscape.

hangedman1984
2011-11-30, 11:28 PM
hides from the inevitable "strongheart vest does/doesn't work" argument

Snowbluff
2011-11-30, 11:41 PM
hides from the inevitable "strongheart vest does/doesn't work" argument

It works. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't familiar to what "immune" means in DnD.

Wyntonian
2011-11-30, 11:57 PM
It works. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't familiar to what "immune" means in DnD.

Oh god....no.... it found us.... IT FOUND US!!!!

YOU....SHALL..NOT.....PAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! !*

*and by "pass", I mean continue with this argument. Some agree. Some don't. It's not a huge deal. Get over it.

Psyren
2011-12-01, 12:08 AM
I honestly thought this thread would go without starting it up. (Naive, I know.)

gorfnab
2011-12-01, 12:56 AM
I am actually a fan of this:

Race: Sparrow Hengeyokai
Class: Warlock 6/Ur Priest 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Eldritch Disciple 10

I like to call it the Eldritch Defiler.
Here is another version.

Hellfire Ur-Lock
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8

Snowbluff
2011-12-01, 01:38 AM
Oh god....no.... it found us.... IT FOUND US!!!!

YOU....SHALL..NOT.....PAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! !*

*and by "pass", I mean continue with this argument. Some agree. Some don't. It's not a huge deal. Get over it.

Either way, show it to your DM. Warlocks are not inherently a powerful class, he should OK regardless of RAW/RAI/RulingAgainstTypicalWotcPractices.

golem1972
2011-12-01, 03:04 AM
That's what I get for not checking the book.

Binder 1 / warlock 7 / mindbender 1 / hellfire 3 / legacy 8 is the semi-standard build if I remember. Mindbender is for mindsight feat.

The Ur-theurge is a good build. The Ur side makes up a lot in power and versatility.