PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a characters that can take advantage of Trickery Devotion

Talionis
2011-11-30, 09:59 AM
Trickery Devotion allows for you to create an exact duplicate of yourself. As you level that duplicate becomes more and more like you. You can burn three uses of your Turn/Rebuke Undead to use it multiple times a day. I'd like to focus on a build that fights in melee and uses the Duplicates for cool things.

So, I would guess I need a build with several additional turn undead uses. I might look to see what other cool things I can do with Turn Undead uses. I know persistent spell is an option, though it eats a ton of Turn uses. Are their other good things to play with?

After level 14 the duplicate can attack so maneuvers would work.

Since the Duplicant only gets 1/2 your strength, I would think feats like Weapon Finesse and Intuitive Attack would be good considerations.

I also was thinking that if I was able to be Charisma SAD, then I could increase my number of Turn Undead.

But I'd love good ideas that would be fun in the campaign.

kudosmog
2011-11-30, 04:10 PM
Consider Travel Devotion as well.
speeds up your movement on the battlefield.

1 use per day, or 2x turns after that.

Talionis
2011-12-01, 03:09 PM
Consider Travel Devotion as well.
speeds up your movement on the battlefield.

1 use per day, or 2x turns after that.

Travel Devotion really is pretty neat. I guess one use lasts for one minute. And it lets you do Full Attacks and still move. That is usable.

jiriku
2011-12-01, 04:43 PM
Well, you can fool people into thinking the image is you with a Bluff check, so you're going to want a class, or combination of classes, that features Bluff as a class skill. Also, the image can use your skills, so the more skills you have, the more useful it's going to be. Thus, a class with lots of skill points seems like a good move. I'd actually recommend you steer clear of any other feats powered by turn undead uses: spending 3 per activation on Trickery Devotion will gobble those up incredibly quickly, so you don't want anything else competing for your turn undead uses.

Cloistered cleric seems like an obvious build ingredient, since it will get you a six skill points per level, the Trickery domain, which will give you Bluff as a class skill, and the Dream domain, which you can then trade for Trickery Devotion. I'm not sure if your duplicate can use maneuvers; the duplicate can take "combat actions", which was probably intended to cover things like bull rush, charge, disarm, and regular melee attacks. Check with your DM. If you can use maneuvers, swordsage is an obvious choice, with many skill points and class skills, and a generally tricky bent to it. Crusader into Ruby Knight Vindicator is an obvious choice for martial prowess and advancement of your spellcasting abilities.

gallagher
2011-12-01, 05:09 PM
since you are creating a duplicate of yourself, does that mean anything that is buffing you (at least before the duplicate is created) is also on him? if so, righteous might and divine strength become a lot more useful, and you pay want to pick up DMM persist for at least divine strength. you can still use DMM as long as you play it smart.

kulosle
2011-12-01, 05:17 PM
Travel devotion is only good if you need to move 10 feat and get off a full attack. Scouts love it and so do anyone that is using The Slippers of Battledance, which if you are going with cha SAD then that might be of interest to you but then you'd have to be a bard. Maybe consider prestigious divine bard. The better way to optimize Trickery Devotion is to also optimize sleight of hand. Take a look at the lightning thief. You and your double can teleport each other around as a free action. Free infinite movement? Yes please!

Talionis
2011-12-01, 06:47 PM
Travel devotion is only good if you need to move 10 feat and get off a full attack. Scouts love it and so do anyone that is using The Slippers of Battledance, which if you are going with cha SAD then that might be of interest to you but then you'd have to be a bard. Maybe consider prestigious divine bard. The better way to optimize Trickery Devotion is to also optimize sleight of hand. Take a look at the lightning thief. You and your double can teleport each other around as a free action. Free infinite movement? Yes please!

lightning Thief? What book is that in?

kulosle
2011-12-01, 06:50 PM
Its not a class its a build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142080).

kudosmog
2011-12-02, 12:09 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the feat then?
From my understanding it lets you take your full move action, and then perform a full round action as well. Or, you can move twice and make a standard action.

How is that limiting you to 10 feet plus an attack?

It's whatever your full movement is + a full attack at the least.

I can't tell if the feat is trying to say you can make two full movements + a standard attack action or not. It would seem silly to say it allows a movement + two other actions and not mean movement + movement + standard attack action but then again I'm not very well versed in the D&D rules.

Talionis
2011-12-02, 02:14 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the feat then?
From my understanding it lets you take your full move action, and then perform a full round action as well. Or, you can move twice and make a standard action.

How is that limiting you to 10 feet plus an attack?

It's whatever your full movement is + a full attack at the least.

I can't tell if the feat is trying to say you can make two full movements + a standard attack action or not. It would seem silly to say it allows a movement + two other actions and not mean movement + movement + standard attack action but then again I'm not very well versed in the D&D rules.

The feat will let you move 10ft as a swift action.

Then you can choose whether to also use your movement action to move or combine your movement action with your standard action to do something that requires the full action.

An example would be Flurry of Blows for a Monk. If you want to use it, you can't take a movement action. Often times, you need to reposition yourself in combat though which prevents you from using the ability. With Travel Devotion you can use the extra 10ft movement to reposition yourself and still use Flurry of Blows.

The big benefit is being able to reposition yourself and use actions like Flurry of Blows.

kudosmog
2011-12-02, 03:54 PM
Is this in a book somewhere? This is what is listed in the Complete Divine book on page 69:

TRAVEL DEVOTION [DOMAIN]
You can move quickly around the battlefield.
Benefit: Once per day as a swift action, you can activate this ability to move up to your speed as a swift action each round. Thus, you can move your speed and then take a full round action, or move and take two other actions (two move actions or one move action and one standard action). This
effect lasts for 1 minute.
Special: You cannot take a 5-foot step in the same round that you use this feat to move as a swift action. Special: You can select this feat multiple times, gaining one additional daily use each time you take it.
Special: If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each two daily turn or rebuke uses you expend.

So if my movement speed is 30 feet, wouldn't it allow me to either:
Move 30 feet then perform 2 actions
Move 30 feet, move another 30 feet and perform a standard action (say, normal attack)
Move 30 feet, move another 30 feet, move another 30 feet.

Just wondering because to me, it seems like a pretty disgusting feat for melee, or even mages/archers that want to stay out of range but if all it lets you do is move an extra 10 feet...it's pretty silly. Wouldn't it still provoke attacks of opportunity for those classes? I thought only spells as swift actions did not provoke attacks of opportunities.

Talionis
2011-12-02, 07:44 PM
Its not a class its a build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142080).

Wow, this is awesome and entirely the type of thing I was asking for.

kulosle
2011-12-03, 09:12 PM
Sorry poor wording. It's just that when ever someone needs to move it's usually 10 feat, like Scout and slippers of battle dance.