PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can get some foreign word lists?

RndmNumGen
2011-11-30, 11:25 AM
At the moment I'm working on a word game project for class, and due to the way my architecture is structured it is actually possible for me to make the game multilingual - which is a really cool element I would love to implement. Right now the program is reading the dictionary from a .txt file which has a list of English scrabble words, and all I really need to do to change it to another language is to point it to a different dictionary .txt.

Problem is, I can't find any other dictionaries. Not free ones, anyway. Pretty much every non-English one I find either requires a license fee to use or demands that I make my game's code open source, which is impossible for me because I'm using the school's game engine. So... anyone know where I could get one of these? It would have to be a language that doesn't require any extra characters(so French and Spanish are okay since I can ignore the diacritical marks, but German is out since I don't have any ßs).

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? The format of the word list is simple, and the English one just reads like this:

aah
aahed
aahing
aahs
aal
aalii
aaliis
aals
aardvark
etc.

Razanir
2011-12-04, 09:46 PM
No help finding it, but for German if you don't have extra characters,
ß = ss
ä = ae
ö = oe
ü = ue

Weezer
2011-12-04, 10:02 PM
Here (http://www.frcoulter.com/latin/links.html#dicts)is a latin one. It's the "Or download the entire Latin dictionary as a file (Zipped text file)" line. Just need to rename it from .raw to .txt for some reason.

DeadManSleeping
2011-12-04, 10:05 PM
Well, at least, it should work with other languages that use what English considers "letters" and "spelling". And, to be fair, that's really a lot of languages!

[/linguisticsnerd]

I really wish I knew where to find those sorts of things, man. I'll be watching this thread for resources.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-12-04, 11:28 PM
I thought it just said "Anyone know where I can get some foreign words?"
And I was about to answer "Well, a foreign language would be a great place to start!"
My wit for the day, ruined!

Astrella
2011-12-05, 01:49 AM
I thought it just said "Anyone know where I can get some foreign words?"
And I was about to answer "Well, a foreign language would be a great place to start!"
My wit for the day, ruined!

Poor gwyn, never gets a break.