PDA

View Full Version : Health & Fitness, or buff-itp!

Pages : 1 [2]

Erloas
2012-02-03, 12:07 PM
To clarify: We're not saying Cardio is bad. It's very important to do Cardio. Just don't fall for the whole idea that it's preferable to do Cardio and disregard weights..
And that isn't what I was saying. Its good to do both and you need a balance. 4 days of weights to 1 of cardio isn't balanced, which is what was suggested.

I've never heard anyone say that interval training is anything but cardio. Sure, its more on the anaerobic side of cardio, and its a great way to get the body used to a higher pace because it is hard to increase pace at long distances all at once.

You also get a breakdown from running for much less then a half-marathon, its just really really obvious at that point. To the point of not being able to hardly walk for 2 days, which is way more breakdown then you want for general training. Of course recovery time will depend on fitness level. But also there are many more forms of cardio then just running, and you can train a large variety of muscles and skills/abilities while doing cardio. Coordination and balance being 2 big ones.

As other examples, there is a guy that has started coming to the kickboxing class, whom I have no doubt is much stronger then I am, at least he looks it. He is in good shape, but he can't even come close to keeping up with me in terms of endurance, I can keep up a higher level of energy in that class, when its my second class of the night, then he can when its his only one, and I'm pretty sure he lifts most of the rest of the time. He is about the same age too.
There are a lot of examples like that, that I see. People going to the gym a lot, lifting a lot, and think they are in good shape. Then they come into one of the classes where endurance is the key and don't even come close to keeping up with the weaker people that take the classes all the time.

Crow
2012-02-03, 01:08 PM
You're looking at one event, with an example of someone who probably does very little cardio to begin with. 1 day of focused cardio per week is all you need. Any more than that, and you start to neglect all the other ''Fitness Skills'', which I note below.

For the record, your heart (cardio) responds exactly the same to sprint interval training as it does to Squat/Pullup supersets.

Cardiovascular Endurance
Stamina
Strength
Flexibility
Power
Speed
Coordination
Agility
Balance
Accuracy

I'd rather be Trey Hardee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Hardee), than Abel Kirui (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Kirui).

Tyndmyr
2012-02-03, 01:48 PM
Kickboxing is a bit of cardio in itself. I would not assume that someone who does it basically does no cardio.

Crow
2012-02-03, 02:46 PM
Kickboxing is a bit of cardio in itself. I would not assume that someone who does it basically does no cardio.

The implication in his post was that the guy had just started, and did little to no cardio before he started taking the class.

Also, different kinds of cardio exercises sometimes don't stack well. Guys that only ever bike, don't run or swim as well as someone who bikes, swims, and runs. It could be that the guy in question does do cardio, but has never done kickboxing before, which is a whole different cardio beast. Tough to say, since we can't just ask the guy.

Yora
2012-02-04, 01:55 PM
I got a question:

I am furtunate to have the flexibility in my leg to sit in full lotus without discomfort and perfectly comfortable with sitting cross legged for a long time. However, I tend to sit crouched forward a lot, but I heard that sitting in full lotus is supposed to make you sit with an upright back.
Now when I try to keep myself to sit upright, it takes only a few minutes for my upper back and shoulders to really start to ache. Is it just because the muscles are not used to and just need more training, or am I forching them to something bad? I think my back posture is not that great and I tent to have an ache in my lower spine, so I'd like to improve on that, but I don't want to accidentally ruin my back with it.

Crow
2012-02-04, 10:10 PM
I got a question:

I am furtunate to have the flexibility in my leg to sit in full lotus without discomfort and perfectly comfortable with sitting cross legged for a long time. However, I tend to sit crouched forward a lot, but I heard that sitting in full lotus is supposed to make you sit with an upright back.
Now when I try to keep myself to sit upright, it takes only a few minutes for my upper back and shoulders to really start to ache. Is it just because the muscles are not used to and just need more training, or am I forching them to something bad? I think my back posture is not that great and I tent to have an ache in my lower spine, so I'd like to improve on that, but I don't want to accidentally ruin my back with it.

It sounds like you are forcing your shoulders back with your muscles. Rather than forcing yourself "upright", try opening up your hips. If you push the hips forward and open, it will put your back into an upright posture, and your shoulders should move back naturally.

Take that with a grain of salt. I know nothing of yoga. Only what I know of posture from olympic lifting.

thorgrim29
2012-02-07, 06:20 PM
So, I just came back from my first crossfit class... Ouch. I was wondering what are the best things to drink/eat/do pre and post workout to avoid muscle cramps and pain?

Cristo Meyers
2012-02-07, 08:50 PM
So, I just came back from my first crossfit class... Ouch. I was wondering what are the best things to drink/eat/do pre and post workout to avoid muscle cramps and pain?

If it's your first time working out after a long time of not doing so there's not a whole lot that can be done to prevent it. Comes with the territory, I'm afraid. It will get better relatively quickly, though, so don't let it get you down.

I have heard that protein right after a workout (like, within 30 minutes) can help with sore muscles, however. Chocolate milk with some whey protein mixed in might be worth a try.

Lycan 01
2012-02-07, 08:59 PM
So its seems I've underestimated how much an iPod can help with a workout.

My roommate and I have been hitting the gym almost every other day for the last few weeks, ever since the new semester started and we got memberships at the campus gym. We've both changed our diets - cut out most soda, fast food, extra sugars and fats, eating more healthy stuff, et cetera - and have been doing an even mix of cardio and strength training. He's made a lot of progress, having lost several pounds while gaining noticeable muscle mass. I've also had some results as well, though not as massive as him.

At any rate, one thing he does a lot is the elliptical machine. He'll just plug in his ipod and go for like 30 minutes, burning several hundred calories each time. I've tried it, but I can never go more than about 11 minutes and 100 calories.

Well, last night at the gym, I finally had some new headphones for my iPod, so I tried the elliptical again with some musical accompaniment. I was somehow able to go 25 minutes and burn 250 calories, without tiring out nearly as much as I normally do. I apparently need to listen to Iron Maiden more often. :smalleek:

So yeah... The moral of this story is, never underestimate the power of music! :smallbiggrin: If you find yourself running low on energy or needing extra motivation, crank up the tunes. You will definitely see a difference; I did, at least.

Crow
2012-02-07, 09:03 PM

Crossfit is designed to be done alongside the Zone Diet. Basically 3 parts grams from carbs, 2 parts grams from protein, 1 part grams from fat.

Look on the Crossfit website under their nutrition section, and if you google the Zone Diet, you can find all sorts of lists of foods that are Zone-friendly (healthy). DO NOT use a traditional bodybuilding diet, or marathoner diet with Crossfit, as it does not work nearly as well. I'm saying this as a yearly competitor in the Crossfit Games. My best results have been with The Zone, and the Crossfit Football diet guidelines.

(Warning, Personal Opinion Only Beyond This Point)

Also, once you have the fundamentals of the movements and techniques down, I would break away from the classes, or at the very least try training at a different affiliate for a bit. I've noticed the quality of instruction at some affiliates is really poor (but sounds good to a beginner). Trying a few different affiliates along with some home study on your own can help you find the best training that will be least likely to get you hurt, and most likely to improve your performance.

noparlpf
2012-02-08, 07:31 AM
A friend suggests I join her at the local Cross-Fit gym in the mornings. Should I get in on that? (I've been sleeping pretty badly lately though, so getting up in the mornings has been hard lately.)

Liffguard
2012-02-08, 07:52 AM
So its seems I've underestimated how much an iPod can help with a workout.

My roommate and I have been hitting the gym almost every other day for the last few weeks, ever since the new semester started and we got memberships at the campus gym. We've both changed our diets - cut out most soda, fast food, extra sugars and fats, eating more healthy stuff, et cetera - and have been doing an even mix of cardio and strength training. He's made a lot of progress, having lost several pounds while gaining noticeable muscle mass. I've also had some results as well, though not as massive as him.

At any rate, one thing he does a lot is the elliptical machine. He'll just plug in his ipod and go for like 30 minutes, burning several hundred calories each time. I've tried it, but I can never go more than about 11 minutes and 100 calories.

Well, last night at the gym, I finally had some new headphones for my iPod, so I tried the elliptical again with some musical accompaniment. I was somehow able to go 25 minutes and burn 250 calories, without tiring out nearly as much as I normally do. I apparently need to listen to Iron Maiden more often. :smalleek:

So yeah... The moral of this story is, never underestimate the power of music! :smallbiggrin: If you find yourself running low on energy or needing extra motivation, crank up the tunes. You will definitely see a difference; I did, at least.

Congrats. Quick word of warning though, don't trust the calorie counters on cardio machines. They have absolutely no way of knowing how many calories you're burning. They don't know your basic metabolic rate, how efficient your movement is or a host of other stuff. You might as well use a random number generator to count calories.

Which isn't to take away from the work you're doing. Seriously, good job, keep it up. Just don't take the machine seriously when it tells you how many calories you've burned.

Erloas
2012-02-08, 10:13 AM
Congrats. Quick word of warning though, don't trust the calorie counters on cardio machines. They have absolutely no way of knowing how many calories you're burning. They don't know your basic metabolic rate, how efficient your movement is or a host of other stuff. You might as well use a random number generator to count calories.
Well to be fair, you don't know how many calories you are eating either. Even the most controlled (ie highly processed) foods can vary quite a bit in calories, and natural foods even more so. So the calories you see on a package is an estimate based on averages.
The machines aren't exact, though they are decent with the height and weight entered, they are no where near as bad as a random number generator. They also measure the amount of work done, so metabolism has little impact, because even if you burn off 50% more calories just existing every day then someone else, that doesn't change the amount of energy needed to move X amount of weight Y distance. And of course how much you do with your arms and on treadmills, your running technique, will have an impact.

But the important part, and how Lycan 01 was using it, is a point of comparison. The same machine will give you comparable numbers for different difficulties, and increased intensity and/or duration will lead to more calories burnt no matter what. If it says 150 one time and 300 the next time, it doesn't matter if the first number was actually 120 and the second was actually 350, you've got a fairly accurate indication that the second workout was much more difficult then the first.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-08, 11:12 AM

Oh yeah, it's friggin huge. I can do a *lot* more of a workout with some good tunes on.

Which isn't to take away from the work you're doing. Seriously, good job, keep it up. Just don't take the machine seriously when it tells you how many calories you've burned.

It's a decent estimate. Better for some machines than others. Assuming you're using the machine in the designed fashion(IE, not leaning on the handlebars on the treadmill and the like), it's going to be at least kinda accurate.

I found that, when I tracked calories consumed and expended on workouts closely, the calorie deficit ended up matching up quite well against pounds lost. In the long term, it'll come out more or less right if you're careful.

Crow
2012-02-08, 12:06 PM
A friend suggests I join her at the local Cross-Fit gym in the mornings. Should I get in on that? (I've been sleeping pretty badly lately though, so getting up in the mornings has been hard lately.)

Absolutely. To give it a try if nothing else. I love doing Crossfit, but I just can't stress 'buyer beware' enough when it comes to the Crossfit affiliates.

But the great thing about Crossfit is also that you can train on your own just as well by getting the mainsite WoD off of crossfit.com and then doing it at home or at a (regularly priced) gym, on your own time, instead of having to make it to a class.

THAC0
2012-02-13, 08:45 AM
What are your thoughts on resistance bands and the like. For a bunch of reasons, I've been doing most of my workouts at home and we really can't purchase more/heavier weights than we already have.

Erloas
2012-02-13, 10:28 AM
I'm assuming you mean the standard two handled bands, rather then some of the home gym packages that use bands.
We use them in some in the classes at the gym. You can do quite a few things with them but you can't do quite as much as with free weights. Of course some things, certain leg exercises especially, you can't do with free weights but the bands work well. They seem to work well, though I doubt you'll get body builder sorts of results, I think you can get more then enough out of them for general fitness needs. The main issue starting out will probably be finding out the proper technique for targeting any given muscle group.

Treharren
2012-02-17, 10:20 AM
It sounds like you are forcing your shoulders back with your muscles. Rather than forcing yourself "upright", try opening up your hips. If you push the hips forward and open, it will put your back into an upright posture, and your shoulders should move back naturally.

Take that with a grain of salt. I know nothing of yoga. Only what I know of posture from olympic lifting.

I'd agree here, most likely a hip issue. You have flexible joints and possibly long legs, but any cross legged pose tilts the pelvis slightly which can put a lot of strain through the hips and lower back if you're not strong there.

Palthera
2012-02-17, 10:28 AM
I got a question:

Does it hurt if you sit up straight on a chair, or while standing? It could be you slouch too much in general and your muscles have adapted to a slumped position not a straight one. I had one friend who couldn't keep her head straight upright because she spent too much time with it cocked to one side.
If the pain only occurs in the lotus position I suspect you're doing it wrong...

ClaireBear13
2012-02-22, 03:29 PM
What are your thoughts on resistance bands and the like. For a bunch of reasons, I've been doing most of my workouts at home and we really can't purchase more/heavier weights than we already have.

Resistance bands are a great alternative to weights. However, be careful! Resistance bands have been known to break. It is rare but, you don't want them to hit your eye or hurt you or someone else. You can even do this if you accidentally let go with tension.

The other dangers are the same as those involved with weights - injuring yourself but doing much.

Other than that, I love resistance bands. I think that offer a lot. They are easily used at home and travel well. They work the same as weights and are much less expensive.

Mephit
2012-02-22, 08:10 PM
I've been looking into resistance bands as well. I've always used dumbbels but I've been doing a lot of travelling lately, and they're really impractical to take with me.

Do any of you have suggestions on where to buy a set? I can't really find anything at my local store. :smallsigh:

Crow
2012-02-23, 12:38 PM
I bought an entire set for a pretty good price on Amazon.com

Orran
2012-02-25, 07:39 AM
I've recently been working on fitness and I'm glad to see a thread in the playground. So I'm planning to do a 10 mile run in October and started training a couple of weeks ago, I'm doing 5 miles 3 times a week with the intention of working upto 10 over the next month or 2. After that the plan is to work on pace to get the best possible time.
My (admittedly ambitious) goal is to finish in 1 hour and any advice on hitting that would be great. For reference, I'm 20, around 120 pounds (8st 6lb, 55kg), 5'7 and I'm currently running at about 8 minutes per mile, which I expect to drop pretty dramatically once I start pace-work.

Erloas
2012-02-25, 08:14 AM
If you're already running an 8 minute mile then you're doing pretty good. The "general" guidelines I saw put a 12minute mile as a beginner time and 8-9 minutes was a fairly dedicated runner's sort of time.
But a 6 minute mile is more of an elite runner sort of time.

For reference in the half marathon I ran in October, there was 1 person that had a sub 6 minute pace, and that was on the 10k (6.2 miles) and the fastest half marathon pace (13.2 miles) was 6:21 with no one else under 7 minutes. It wasn't the sort of race thats going to draw in elite athletes, but its probably a decent baseline for "normal" people.

So either your numbers are off or you're already putting in quite a bit of work (but at 20 that is easier to do without really realizing it).
So I don't think you're going to see any really drastic drops in your time.

I would also say at this point a 10 mile run should be relatively easy for you.

Although I realize you never actually asked for any advice. Still, I would get to that 10 miles as quickly as you could (and I expect you could probably run it today without much issue) and see how things adjust at longer runs. As well as your pacing runs I would also work your long run up to maybe 15 miles at least a few months before the race so that when you get to the race it will be below your training so it will be easier to increase your pace for this one run.

Orran
2012-02-25, 11:04 AM
My (admittedly ambitious) goal is to finish in 1 hour and any advice on hitting that would be great.

Advice is welcomed. I wasn't planning on going much beyond 10 miles during training, but if it's beneficial, I guess I could go to the half marathon or 15m a few times. Part of that would be doing a couple of events in race season, since luckily the 10m falls at the end of it, I wouldn't want to do anything too close to it for fear of over-exertion.

In regards to my current times, I've definitely recorded them accurately, so long as we can trust google map's distances, if we cant I don't imagine it is throwing them off too much. I'm still in the early stages and don't think I've hit my maximum yet, as with 6 months+ to train, I don't want to peak too early or injure myself. Although I am pleased to hear I'm doing a good job so far.

Part of getting my best result is having an ambitious goal, I think with my weight, overall fitness level, and with a little diet tweaking, 6 minutes/mile is possible, but I wouldn't be too upset at not making it.

Erloas
2012-02-26, 10:57 PM
Well with a rather ambitious goal I think you're going to have to over train both parts of it to get the full thing where you want it.
Your longest runs are never going to be at your fastest pace. And the easier, relative to your maximum distance, that 10 miles becomes, the easier it is going to be to do it at a faster pace.
And in the same vein you'll probably have to be able to do something like a 5 minute mile pace for 1-2 miles before you've got the strength to keep the 6 minute pace up for that much longer.

Granted, generally on a race day you'll better then you normally are for training, but I wouldn't expect it to change that much.

Crow
2012-02-26, 11:35 PM
Have you considered running long (like 400m or more) sprints? No pacing, just flat-out running.

Trying to increase your minutes-per-mile times, you are basically trying to increase your body's power output (speed) over a set period (the distance). Long sprinting teaches your body to maintain higher levels of output for longer. When you return to regular running, you will find that your body has become more "comfortable" at higher levels of exertion, and matching your previous times becomes easier, allowing you to push for even greater speeds. Work long sprinting days in with your normal distance running. While you can increase mile times by running longer distances regularly, I think you will find this balanced approach will provide better (faster) results.

sparkyinbozo
2012-02-26, 11:49 PM
Just wanted to drop through and say this is a great idea for a recurring thread, I hope it continues to do well. :smallbiggrin:

Orran
2012-02-27, 04:21 PM
Those sound like good ways to go about things. So in general I should be working on; being able to run >10 miles comfortably, being able to hit very strong minutes/mile paces on short distance, increasing strength through sprint conditioning.
Thanks a lot guys, Ill try and work these into my regimen. Expect a few updates on the way to the goal :)

The Anarresti
2012-02-27, 05:34 PM
Hey! I haven't been around in a while. But I would like to pop in to point out that, although running is a great goal, it's different for everybody.
I'm a long distance guy, with a lot of slow-twitch muscle fibers, and I can run 6+ miles easily. My brother, on the other hand, is a big, muscular sprinter with asthma. No matter how fit he gets, he won't be able to run more than three miles without it killing him.
Orran, I'd say, be careful to listen to your body, and if you start to get real pain in a joint or something (not just soreness) that could be a stress injury, be wary.

Crow
2012-02-27, 06:47 PM
Lots of talk about fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fibers in this thread, but most people don't know if they are FT or ST dominant. Or worse, they try to guess which they are, and train with that in mind.

Stop the guesswork and try this simple test:

Dr. Fred Hatfield’s muscle fiber test.

- Find your one rep maximum on the back squat
- Rest 15 mins
- Perform as many reps as possible with 80% of your 1 RM

Analysis

- Less than 7 repetitions – fast twitch (FT) dominant
- 7-8 repetitions – mixed fiber type
- More than 8 repetitions – slow twitch (ST) dominant

Erloas
2012-03-09, 11:53 AM
This thread was getting close to death.

I got sick for a while and had a few things going on so I got off track for a couple of weeks. Although I felt fairly weak right after coming back I don't think its going to last long. Was still a bit low on energy for the 2nd hour on Monday, but last night I was back to the 20lb weights for the class.
But the good news is they actually have 20lb weights for the class now, I used to have to steal them from the weight room. Which should also imply that no one else was every really using anything over the 15s. And as a note its endurance lifting class so a little bit of weight goes a long way. And only one of the instructors even uses the 15s (although they are all women, but they are all in good shape and have been doing this a long time).

And not directly related to health or fitness, there is a new woman showing up to some of the classes, who is apparently new to the area. And there is something about her that is just hard to not look at. It doesn't help that on Monday I ended up right behind her... is it wrong that I wanted us to do even more squats that day? The hard part is not looking too much... I wonder if she knows her tights, which are otherwise opaque, reveal a bit more when she bends over.... I don't want to get in trouble.

Orran
2012-03-09, 03:48 PM
What sort of class is that for Erloas? I did look back a couple of pages to find out, but if you mentioned it I missed it. 20lb weights sounds like it would be harsh for a long period of time, so surely it would be best for the instructors to take a lighter weight, so they can spend their time instructing? In regards to the eye-drawing lady, have you tried telling her? :smalltongue:

So since my last post I've been running every 2-3 days, including one 10 mile, today I went for my second, but my knees were noticeably painful even a couple of miles in, so I took it easy and stopped at only 5 miles, a minute or so off my normal pace. That was quite demoralizing but I plan to take a couple of days off and give it another shot. On the bright side, my minutes/mile pace has been steadily increasing, and on a 3.6 mile route I managed to average 7.24, way ahead of my previous best. That was probably since I had a friend with me, who is not very fit so he decided to cycle.

THAC0
2012-03-09, 04:21 PM
I had been on an excellent routine, doing a 5K three times a week plus a lot of core and strength stuff.

Then I got a fulltime job. Hah.

I'm still trying to get back into a routine. Right now I'm doing a set of crunches, reverse crunches, pushups etc right when I get up. I'm running 1-2 5Ks a week, mostly on weekends, and trying to fit in some strength and stuff somewhere, but it's really hard with being out of the house at least 11 hours a day.

Erloas
2012-03-09, 07:25 PM
What sort of class is that for Erloas? I did look back a couple of pages to find out, but if you mentioned it I missed it. 20lb weights sounds like it would be harsh for a long period of time, so surely it would be best for the instructors to take a lighter weight, so they can spend their time instructing? They call the class Pump&Flex... but that doesn't really mean anything as far as I know. It targets every part of the body, and its all high rep sort of things. A lot of slow lifts and pulses and just high reps. Almost all of the instruction is just visual based, ie repeating what they do, though they will be more hands on with some things, and most of them usually don't do two classes in a day and if they do they are usually spread out and not the same type of class. Mostly just saying that 20lbs is quite a bit even though it seems like very little in normal lifting.

In regards to the eye-drawing lady, have you tried telling her? :smalltongue:I did talk to her a bit. But not about what she was wearing.

And yes, knees can take a while to get up to strength. Especially depending on the area you are running and the condition of your shoes.

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-23, 01:50 PM
I've had a sudden and rather inexplicable weight gain over the past month(?) or so.

My job requires lots of sitting, and I work pretty long hours.

For reference, I'm 6 feet tall, and now weigh about 159 pounds, which is about 14 more than I normally weigh, and when you're that light to begin with, a whole extra tenth is annoying.

Been worrying about it ever since I noticed, and not sure how to start correcting the issue. Suggestions?

Haruki-kun
2012-03-23, 03:50 PM
Well, 6 feet tall and 159 lbs is not really something I'd worry a lot about. That being said, a few other questions:

Have you or your relatives noticed this weight gain? Pants gotten tighter? Have you had any recent changes in routine or diet? That's the sort of thing you should use as reference IMHO, not so much the weight.

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-24, 03:18 PM
I don't live with my family, but I noticed.

Pants still fit, but belt is one notch looser.

No change that I can identify as to routine or diet, which is why I'm confused.

It's not that I want to lose it, I don't mind weighing 160ish. I just want it to be useful weight.

Crow
2012-03-25, 12:28 AM
Increased stress or reduced sleep?

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-25, 03:03 PM
Increased stress or reduced sleep?

Those are both distinct possibilities.

noparlpf
2012-03-26, 02:19 PM
I am sad. I can only do four pull-ups at once right now. I'm so out of shape. ;-;

Haruki-kun
2012-03-26, 02:21 PM
Hey, don't sweat it. I can only do like six or seven at most. Just keep training and you'll be able to do more, soon. And make sure to do other back exercises! :smallsmile:

Here, have some Courage Wolf:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/3of5hr.jpg

noparlpf
2012-03-26, 02:40 PM
Hey, don't sweat it. I can only do like six or seven at most. Just keep training and you'll be able to do more, soon. And make sure to do other back exercises! :smallsmile:

Here, have some Courage Wolf:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/3of5hr.jpg

Amusingly, I did pretty much do the freshman fifteen of muscle between running a lot and going to the rock wall almost every day. Then I sat on my ass all summer.

Devixer
2012-03-26, 03:15 PM
I started seriously exercising about a month ago. I haven't seen too much progress since then (though losing 10 pounds is good no matter what,) but going to the gym and working out is just so much fun, that it's hard for me to imagine stopping.

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-26, 04:04 PM
I started seriously exercising about a month ago. I haven't seen too much progress since then (though losing 10 pounds is good no matter what,) but going to the gym and working out is just so much fun, that it's hard for me to imagine stopping.

I'm the opposite... I can't really push myself to exercise unless there's an immediate point to it. I do combat sports, Airsoft and padded weapons and things like that, and in that context I do all sorts of things that I wouldn't do just for the sake of exercise.

Like I told my last girlfriend, a runner, "If I'm being chased on the battlefield, or I'm running someone down, or if I need to get somewhere fast, or I'm flanking someone, I have no problem running. If I try and run just for the sake of running, it's no good."

noparlpf
2012-03-26, 04:27 PM
I'm the opposite... I can't really push myself to exercise unless there's an immediate point to it. I do combat sports, Airsoft and padded weapons and things like that, and in that context I do all sorts of things that I wouldn't do just for the sake of exercise.

Like I told my last girlfriend, a runner, "If I'm being chased on the battlefield, or I'm running someone down, or if I need to get somewhere fast, or I'm flanking someone, I have no problem running. If I try and run just for the sake of running, it's no good."

I feel ya. Most of my exercise is doing dumb things, running places randomly, jumping off of walls/buildings, or boffing club. I like games. I just hate weightlifting or running around a track or on a treadmill.

Haruki-kun
2012-03-26, 04:45 PM
I'm with Baron on this one. I like the exercise itself. And the feeling afterwards. No one regrets having worked out.

Amusingly, I did pretty much do the freshman fifteen of muscle between running a lot and going to the rock wall almost every day. Then I sat on my ass all summer.

I did, too. :smallsmile: Except I didn't let myself sit on my ass all summer. I kept going to a gym in my hometown.

Orran
2012-03-26, 05:17 PM
I'm kinda halfway on that one, I find doing the excercise kinda difficult to enjoy and stay motivated, but afterwards I'm pretty happy. Pretty sure there's something about excercise and endorphins, anyone want to enlighten me?

noparlpf
2012-03-26, 05:45 PM
My drug of choice is adrenaline. I don't do it very often, but it feels better than anything else I've tried (which isn't much, but still). And then afterwards there's all the endorphins and stuff.

Edit: Huh, maybe if I could foster an addiction to that adrenaline rush and the endorphins, I would exercise more regularly. That would be ironic. An unhealthy addiction leading to better health.

Cristo Meyers
2012-03-26, 06:00 PM
I have very little trouble getting myself to hit the gym to lift, it's doing the cardio work that's the issue.

Lifting I feel like I'm accomplishing something, cardio I feel like a hamster.

Haruki-kun
2012-03-27, 09:30 AM
It does get repetitive after a while. Consider bringing an iPod or a GameBoy or something.

Crow
2012-03-27, 10:50 AM
The huge hormone and endorphin rush is what makes exercise enjoyable for me. My workouts are rarely longer than 10-15 minutes though.

Still, if I didn't compete in events, I probably wouldn't do it. At least not with the intensity I do now.

Cristo Meyers
2012-03-27, 11:47 AM
It does get repetitive after a while. Consider bringing an iPod or a GameBoy or something.

Yeah, I've got my mp3 player, which helps a bit. The machines in my gym have that little TV on them, but they only get a handful of channels, only two of which are worth watching. Further, said two are CNN and MSNBC...so...well...let's just say politics and leave it there.:smallsigh:

Mostly it's just a sign to switch things up a bit, which I have. I'm trying the chest/back/arms/legs routine with one day of cardio in the middle.

Speaking of, where do abs and shoulders fit in the chest/back/arms/legs thing? I've been putting abs with the chest and shoulders with back.

Haruki-kun
2012-03-27, 05:17 PM
Not sure... YMMV. I try to keep chest and shoulders separated, though. They tend to overlap a bit when doing incline presses and such. In that routine, I'd throw shoulders in with arms.

Abs are fine anywhere.

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-28, 07:38 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Are there any excercises one can do while sitting? My job requires quite a lot of it.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-03-29, 08:27 AM
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Are there any excercises one can do while sitting? My job requires quite a lot of it.

Although I ride a bicycle and race on the weekends, I work out with a 20lbs kettlebell at my desk all the time. I'll do one-hand incline presses, one-hand overhead presses, bicep curls and triceps extensions while waiting for my email to load or whatever. The kettlebell is only about 6in in diameter, and about 10 inches tall. It fits right under my desk when not in use.

During my lunch break I'll do kettlebell swings, squats, and Turkish Get-Ups. TGUs are where you sit on the floor, set the Kettlebell down on one side of your body, reach across and bring the KB to the other side of your body, then try and stand up. It's harder than it sounds, and works your core muscles.

The "trick" is finding something you like, and are willing to do often. I've has this love/hate or love/meh relationship with physical fitness all my life. Skied Cross-Country in Junior High, did nothing in High School. Nothing in the Navy for many years, then took up surfing. Went from Hawaii to San Diego, quit surfing. Came back to Hawaii, took up running. Retired, did nothing. Lifted, then got lazy. Had cancer, had chemo, got better. Got fat again, then got into bicycle racing. Skinny once again. My weight has gone from 225lbs to 175, depending on how "dedicated" I am. Got down to 165 or so when I was surfing daily. Sitting at 180-185 these days, trying to get down again. But it's hard at 46, almost 47...

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-29, 06:34 PM
Eh, that won't work. Doing stuff at work was probably a silly idea anyways, since I work with my hands and have to use a microscope a lot of the time.

Anyways, here's my issue. As I said, I gained some weight, putting me at what would be considered a healthy level for my height. Problem is, I have a very slight frame, and the extra weight has come in the form of fat. Seeing as I've never had any spare fat on me at any point in my life, it's kinda freaking me out.

It's not much, and it's probably not noticeable to normal humans if I'm not wearing a tight t-shirt, but it's driving me crazy.

What do?

THAC0
2012-03-30, 04:53 AM
Eh, that won't work. Doing stuff at work was probably a silly idea anyways, since I work with my hands and have to use a microscope a lot of the time.

Anyways, here's my issue. As I said, I gained some weight, putting me at what would be considered a healthy level for my height. Problem is, I have a very slight frame, and the extra weight has come in the form of fat. Seeing as I've never had any spare fat on me at any point in my life, it's kinda freaking me out.

It's not much, and it's probably not noticeable to normal humans if I'm not wearing a tight t-shirt, but it's driving me crazy.

What do?

Take a look at your diet and get some physical activity in outside of work?

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-03-31, 09:47 AM
Take a look at your diet and get some physical activity in outside of work?

My diet hasn't changed at all, though.

I'm starting to think it's just the fact that my usual sport of choice shuts down for the winter, and I just need to start fighting again.

THAC0
2012-03-31, 01:01 PM
My diet hasn't changed at all, though.

I'm starting to think it's just the fact that my usual sport of choice shuts down for the winter, and I just need to start fighting again.

Probably. If you lose physical activity and keep the diet the same, then yeah, you're likely looking at weight gain.

Crow
2012-03-31, 03:38 PM
Speaking of, where do abs and shoulders fit in the chest/back/arms/legs thing? I've been putting abs with the chest and shoulders with back.

If you've been doing things like deadlifts and squats during your leg and back days, you shouldn't need to worry about working in abs. They will fill in nicely on their own.

Juggling Goth
2012-04-03, 01:49 AM
Because I collect foot injuries like Pokemon, I now have plantar fasciitis. (Inflammation of the muscles in the soles of the feet. Walking feels like someone's hammering spikes through your heels.) Yay! This is extra fun when you're a martial artist, because bare feet. (Though if taping isn't enough, I'll be talking to my Sensei about getting a pair of indoor trainers to wear in the dojo.) Goddammit. Currently rocking very supportive running shoes + orthotic insoles (just for walking around - running is not on the agenda); taping up my arches when barefoot; ibuprofen gel; stretching my feet, ankles and calves at every opportunity.

I just... goddammit. I just went back to karate after four months of depression, exhaustion and other injuries (dodgy knees, clattered my hip at roller derby) kicked my ass. And now this? Give a girl a break!

This is venting, not a request for medical advice :smallsmile:

Riverdance
2012-04-04, 08:06 PM
I've recently found a new form of exercise (on top of ultimate frisbee training four days a week). I was given a Bear Super Kodiak recurve bow with a 45 lb test, and it shoots like butter. I now shoot daily for at least half an hour. I've gotten it down to the point where I can put 80% of the arrows within 10 inches of the bullseye (which is not as lame as it sounds). The hardest part was breaking in my fingers to shooting. I had blisters for a week.

Crow
2012-04-06, 04:49 PM
Because I collect foot injuries like Pokemon, I now have plantar fasciitis. (Inflammation of the muscles in the soles of the feet. Walking feels like someone's hammering spikes through your heels.) Yay! This is extra fun when you're a martial artist, because bare feet. (Though if taping isn't enough, I'll be talking to my Sensei about getting a pair of indoor trainers to wear in the dojo.) Goddammit. Currently rocking very supportive running shoes + orthotic insoles (just for walking around - running is not on the agenda); taping up my arches when barefoot; ibuprofen gel; stretching my feet, ankles and calves at every opportunity.

I just... goddammit. I just went back to karate after four months of depression, exhaustion and other injuries (dodgy knees, clattered my hip at roller derby) kicked my ass. And now this? Give a girl a break!

This is venting, not a request for medical advice :smallsmile:

Have you tried New Balance Minimus (http://www.shopnewbalance.com/search_results.asp?searchType=quick&qry=minimus&s1=google&s2=New%20Balance%20Brand%20Plus%20Minimus_Desktop&s3=new%20balance%20minimus&gclid=CL7uuOGZoa8CFYFeTAod_S9zYw)? I've pretty much decided I'm never going back to traditional running shoes. I've battled running-related injuries for ages, and these things have nuked them all.

Running 'barefoot' with this type of shoe requires strong and flexible calves, which do wonders for preventing PF also.

Haruki-kun
2012-04-06, 06:46 PM
This is what I feel like when my friends and/or relatives take me out to lunch sometimes...

http://i.imgur.com/0MzML.jpg

Cristo Meyers
2012-04-07, 07:39 PM
This is what I feel like when my friends and/or relatives take me out to lunch sometimes...

http://i.imgur.com/0MzML.jpg

Heh, I ended up having to put calorie information into my cell phone just so I'd have some idea what I can fit into my diet...

...still doesn't stop me from looking at the fries and going want...evil things, french fries, eeeeevvviiilll.

Juggling Goth
2012-04-08, 02:22 AM
Have you tried New Balance Minimus (http://www.shopnewbalance.com/search_results.asp?searchType=quick&qry=minimus&s1=google&s2=New%20Balance%20Brand%20Plus%20Minimus_Desktop&s3=new%20balance%20minimus&gclid=CL7uuOGZoa8CFYFeTAod_S9zYw)? I've pretty much decided I'm never going back to traditional running shoes. I've battled running-related injuries for ages, and these things have nuked them all.

Running 'barefoot' with this type of shoe requires strong and flexible calves, which do wonders for preventing PF also.

I'm a bit nervous of that, because it was wearing shoes with worn-down soles that triggered it in the first place. And since I do karate, I'm training barefoot at least twice a week as it is, and if anything it seems to aggravate matters.

Crow
2012-04-09, 07:45 PM
I'm a bit nervous of that, because it was wearing shoes with worn-down soles that triggered it in the first place. And since I do karate, I'm training barefoot at least twice a week as it is, and if anything it seems to aggravate matters.

Well if it's being "aggravated", then that tells me it has not healed. You really need to cease all activity until it is healed before you start looking for preventative solutions, because they will all fail.

You have to bear in mind, the times given for injuries to "heal" are generally low-balled in the sense that they're intended for people who doing generally ordinary things all day. Take my hernia operation for instance. Every doctor I went to before the surgery told me the time to full recovery would be between 2 and 4 weeks. When I asked at what point I would be ok to go back to 400lb deadlifts and 42-inch box jumps, the response was along the lines of "much longer".

That said, if you do go to the Minimus, you have to run on the balls of your feet. If you put them on and run like you would with a normal running shoe, then yes, you will hurt yourself. It takes getting used to, and you will not be able to maintain your previous speed or mileage in the beginning, so you have to work your way back up. But once you strengthen your calves and begin working your way back up, it is great.

Liffguard
2012-04-10, 05:31 AM
That said, if you do go to the Minimus, you have to run on the balls of your feet. If you put them on and run like you would with a normal running shoe, then yes, you will hurt yourself. It takes getting used to, and you will not be able to maintain your previous speed or mileage in the beginning, so you have to work your way back up. But once you strengthen your calves and begin working your way back up, it is great.

Not necessarily the balls of your feet. Different people still have different gaits when running barefoot/minimalist. I tend to land more on the outer side of my foot at about the point where the forefoot becomes the midfoot. Some people do indeed land on the balls of their feet. Others have more of a midfoot strike. It depends.

Ossian
2012-04-10, 09:35 AM
Hi Folks! Emergency help needed.

I relocated to a land far far away....from Germany (where I had my 24/7 gym, and lots of delicious, cheap, healthy food from the various BIO-BIO stores) to Cairo. Might be here for a while and I am going to be a helluva lot busier that I should like. Right now I am still in my "7 days off" which allow myself every 8 to 10 weeks of intensive workout (mostly weights and some jogging). So what I would need is some serious advice on how to at last not lose my recent gains over the successive, say, 10 weeks! I might have access to a gym, but can t count on it.

Anybody has a good body-weight workout that I can follow to keep my strength and mass up? (or gain, perchance?). US Marines don't take their gyms on the combat zone, and they re still mega fit, how do I do that!

Should I at least buy a set of cheap kettlebells? (and if yes, which ones are the best all round for an "average joe"? 25 to 32 lb seems like a goood average if I want to use them for a bunch of high reps exercises....).

I max at 220Lb on banch press, and arm curl in the upper 40s, just to give you a sense of my level so far (nothing epic, but it might help you judge).

Many thanks!

Ossian.

Erloas
2012-04-12, 10:06 AM
Anybody has a good body-weight workout that I can follow to keep my strength and mass up? (or gain, perchance?). US Marines don't take their gyms on the combat zone, and they re still mega fit, how do I do that!

Should I at least buy a set of cheap kettlebells? (and if yes, which ones are the best all round for an "average joe"? 25 to 32 lb seems like a goood average if I want to use them for a bunch of high reps exercises....).
I know there are at least a few fairly popular workouts that require very little equipment. I know there was one that the actors were supposed to have used when getting ready for filming 300. I know there are also several "military boot camp" type of workouts online.
So really the only advice would be to search online for what you are looking for.

As for the kettlebells, I know they are a lot harder then it would seem for the weight. The way the exercises are designed makes a lower weight a lot more work. What that actually translates to though is harder to say.
I also know a lot of people tend to work on the obvious muscle groups and leave off a lot of the support muscles so when it comes to doing full body exercises and ones that require a lot of balance they aren't nearly as strong as they thought, and from what I know of kettlebell exercises, its going to work those support muscles a lot.

I'm thinking I'm going to do another Half-Marathon in Salt Lake City next weekend. I haven't really been training for it, but I've still been training. I ran about 7-7.5 miles on Sunday after a relatively casual bike ride (maybe 10 miles, not pushing all that hard) so I think I'm still good to go even if I haven't been logging many run miles overall or very consistently.
This would be my second half-marathon, as I ran one last September. That one was probably 2k feet higher elevation and more hilly too.

Crow
2012-04-12, 11:24 AM
Another gem for those in this thread who may be curious how they measure up. This chart (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf) gives 1 rep max weight standards for the major lifts based upon your bodyweight.

Haruki-kun
2012-04-12, 03:33 PM
Another gem for those in this thread who may be curious how they measure up. This chart (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf) gives 1 rep max weight standards for the major lifts based upon your bodyweight.

Apparently I'm an Intermediate in everything but the Deadlift, in which I'm below novice. Which brings me to raise the question: Anyone got anything on grip strength?

Cristo Meyers
2012-04-12, 10:14 PM
Apparently I'm an Intermediate in everything but the Deadlift, in which I'm below novice. Which brings me to raise the question: Anyone got anything on grip strength?

Same here. Somewhere in between novice and intermediate for everything but deadlift. Considering I only started doing the deadlift a week or so ago, I consider that pretty damn good :smallcool:

Same here on the grip strength thing, too. I already had to start doing barbell or seated calf raises because I can't comfortably hold 50+ lb dumbbells. My deadlift is rapidly approaching the weight where I'm doing more work just holding the bar than the actual lift...

Crow
2012-04-12, 11:51 PM
Grip strength, do farmer carries, or plate pinch carries. Add to that kipping pullups and toes-to-bar.

Haruki-kun
2012-04-13, 06:58 PM
Hey, guys, dropping by here to let you all know that Fitocracy (http://www.fitocracy.com/) is now out of beta and you don't need an invite code anymore. Register away!

And here is the Playground group! (http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4138/)

Riverdance
2012-04-15, 04:01 PM
Recently sprained my ankle (1st degree sprain) while playing ultimate frisbee. It happened wednesday and I started walking (hobbling) without crutches friday night. I can now walk mostly normally but I still have to be really careful with what angles I put it at. Anyone have experience with healing sprains?

THAC0
2012-04-15, 04:46 PM
Recently sprained my ankle (1st degree sprain) while playing ultimate frisbee. It happened wednesday and I started walking (hobbling) without crutches friday night. I can now walk mostly normally but I still have to be really careful with what angles I put it at. Anyone have experience with healing sprains?

LET IT HEAL.

:smallsmile:

No, really, it's so tempting to push it too far, too fast with injuries. Err on the side of caution and your future is bright!

Riverdance
2012-04-15, 09:41 PM
No frisbee practice for me then. :smallfrown: Oh well, I should be able to play in the tournament in five weeks. Thanks THAC0. :smallsmile:

Aedilred
2012-04-16, 10:29 AM
Last night I agreed for some reason to do a half-marathon this autumn. This should be interesting, given that I was once told (not entirely inaccurately) that the only exercise I did was lifting a fork to my mouth.

I will have a look at putting a proper training regime in place, but as a rough estimate does anyone have an idea how much running should I be looking to do in a given week to prepare for this (starting from now)? I'm starting effectively from scratch: I'm not overweight, but I haven't done any exercise at all for a few months and feel as though I've become fairly unfit over the winter.

Something else which is concerning me is that when I did a 10K run a couple of years ago (the last time I ran any distance worth mentioning) I got really severe back pain at about the 7K mark which nearly stopped me from running. I didn't get that during training (probably because I hadn't run that far in one go) and I'm worried the same thing will happen again this time - but given the distance is longer I probably wouldn't make it to the end if it does. Does anyone have any advice how to avoid/mitigate this, is it normal or is it something I should ask a doctor about?

Thanks!

Erloas
2012-04-16, 11:00 AM
Well there is no "right" amount to run. Generally I probably don't get more then 5-10 miles running in on any given week, but I exercise in a lot of different ways the rest of the week and that is enough for me to feel comfortable with a half-marathon. Usually just one day of running a week.

Of course if I wasn't going to the gym for other things the rest of the week I doubt there is any way I could run a half with the amount of just running I do.

For the straight running types of training its usually 2-3 days worth of shorter runs, maybe 2-5 miles, with one long run that scales up from about 5 miles to 10-12 as you build up your ability.

As for the back pain, it could be poor shoes (many running related injuries, especially for people new to it is attributed to shoes), or poor technique (which could be caused by shoes too). And it could just be weak back muscles or a one time issue.
The thing to do is get a pair of dedicated running shoes, go to a running shop and have them look at how you run and recommend a pair of shoes for you. Also the shop should be able to tell you if you have any really obvious problems with your technique. And keep them just for running so you don't wear them out, shoes loose support long before they look worn out.
And from there just start slow, listen to your body, and work from there. If its just weak muscles the problem will go away as you gain strength, if it constantly feels bad or gets progressively worse then see a professional about it.

As for me, I decided to do the Half-Marathon in Salt Lake City, which is next weekend. So last Saturday I wanted to push my times a bit and see where I was at. I knew I could keep up a 6mph/10minute mile pace for a while but hadn't really keep it up for a longer run. So my goal was 6 miles (very convenient turn around at the 3 mile point on my normal route) in 1 hour. I got done in 58 minutes. And that was a dreary morning with a light snow/rain, and my legs didn't even feel all that great before I started. I doubt I can do that pace for the full half-marathon, but I think I can beat my previous run of 2:23:40, pace 10:58 minute/mile.

Crow
2012-04-16, 11:26 AM
The most likely problem with your back is weak/inflexible glutes.

There is a way to find out, though. If the pain is more pronounced, or the onset more sudden, while running uphill, then it is weak/tight glutes.

Haruki-kun
2012-04-16, 11:13 PM
Hey, hey. Hey, guys!

Achievement Unlocked: Bodyweight Bench Press! :smallsmile:

Crow
2012-04-17, 01:27 AM
Hey, hey. Hey, guys!

Congratulations!

Erloas
2012-04-17, 11:34 AM
Hey, hey. Hey, guys!

Congratulations. Is that max single lift or for a set?

I think I'm pretty close to that too actually, but I rarely do a normal bench press to know. Last time I did any I think I was at 135lbs for a shorter set, though I may have done 1-2 at 145, and at that point I don't think I was quite down to the 150lb body weight I am now.

So about 2 weeks ago my favorite instructor from the gym quit, to focus more on her kids and her own zumba studio. I was very sad to see her go, she pushed the most in all of the cardio classes and was just a fun person. Of course now there is a new instructor and I had her first class last night, she currently only does kickboxing aerobics. She seemed a bit nervous but did a good job, and she didn't quite have the energy and intensity of the old instructor, it was still good. She was also easy to talk to, which is good.

Although I think I pushed myself a little bit too much in her class (and maybe the class before too) because my knees are a little sore today. Main problem with that is I'm supposed to be resting my legs a bit in preparation for the half-marathon this weekend. I guess I'll just have to really watch what I'm doing on Wednesday's kickboxing class and the Thursday P&F I might have to sit out some of the heavy leg activities (which I can't actually do, have to just drop weight or something... depends who ends up instructing that day).

Haruki-kun
2012-04-17, 09:14 PM
Congratulations. Is that max single lift or for a set?

I think I'm pretty close to that too actually, but I rarely do a normal bench press to know. Last time I did any I think I was at 135lbs for a shorter set, though I may have done 1-2 at 145, and at that point I don't think I was quite down to the 150lb body weight I am now.

It was the last set of the exercise, and I did all of 2 reps. I started lower in the earlier sets and started going up until I reached 215 lbs, which is my exact body weight.

Marillion
2012-04-17, 09:32 PM
Well playground, after spontaneously run/jogging with my dogs for 40 minutes the other day and feeling awesome about it, I've decided to kick my butt into shape. What better way to do that than training for the Warrior Dash (http://warriordash.com/index.php), a grueling 5k obstacle course where you get a horned helmet for participating? I am currently shooting for the 2013 race. I'd do the one this year, but about half of the obstacles in my area require climbing, which I am way too out of shape to do, I think.

Any advice?

Haruki-kun
2012-04-17, 09:44 PM
Couch to 5K. (http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html) And after you're done with that, Bridge to 10K. (http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/)

Crow
2012-04-17, 10:38 PM
Well playground, after spontaneously run/jogging with my dogs for 40 minutes the other day and feeling awesome about it, I've decided to kick my butt into shape. What better way to do that than training for the Warrior Dash (http://warriordash.com/index.php), a grueling 5k obstacle course where you get a horned helmet for participating? I am currently shooting for the 2013 race. I'd do the one this year, but about half of the obstacles in my area require climbing, which I am way too out of shape to do, I think.

Any advice?

Those events are full of fat, out of shape drunks. You'll be fine with any sort of consistent effort to exercise, as you'll be running only a mile at a time (if that), before standing in line for another obstacle.

Only way it's worth it imo is if you pay extra to be in the first heat.

Juggling Goth
2012-04-20, 01:45 AM
I'm slowly talking myself into doing a triathlon in September. I did one in 2010, and did an aquathlon (that I had to cycle 20km to get to on race morning - so effectively a triathlon, then) in 2011. And it's organised by the same club that did the first one, albeit at a different venue. I'm feeling reasonably fit overall, and I'd have time for specific training and for my dodgy feet to recover.

But why do they always have to be somewhere that's a bugger to get to by public transport?

Crow
2012-04-20, 11:00 AM
(that I had to cycle 20km to get to on race morning - so effectively a triathlon, then)

Haha, that's funny :smalltongue:

Erloas
2012-04-23, 12:55 PM
So I didn't think I had rested my legs enough prior to the half-marathon on Saturday, in fact I pretty much did all my normal workout to that point. And Friday before my knees were a little sore and my legs a little as well, so I hit the hot tub at the hotel and stretched and massaged my legs the best I could.
Then on top of that the hotel had nothing at all for breakfast that would be available before the race and I didn't sleep all that great (AC was kind of loud so it woke me up a few times and the bed just wasn't as nice as my own).
So I had a breakfast of an apple, fruit&granola bar and a few granola nut clusters, that I happened to have with me. Also the race started at 7am, which meant getting up at about 5:30, which is earlier then usual by a little bit and I'm normally an evening exerciser, I headed out not really knowing what to expect for the race.

It was a really nice morning, being no where near warm but not cold either. I started out feeling good but the first mile marker said 15minutes and 2 miles, well slower then what I was expected for my pace, but also the time seemed off by quite a bit too. A few other racers mentioned a pace of around a 9 minute mile at that point from their GPS watches and such, which also seemed off to me. After a couple miles I found a couple of women running together that seemed like a good fit for me, but targeting a pace that I thought was well beyond my abilities, so I worked to keep up with them.

I actually felt really good for the whole race, my knees didn't hurt at all, my legs felt great, I was breathing good. About 2/3s of the last mile is up a steadily increasing hill before turning down to the finish line and I still felt strong at that point. In fact I think I passed more people in that last mile then I had in the previous 10 miles (after the initial mass of people had paced out) including the two women I had been pacing with.

My final time was 1:56:52 and a pace of 8:54.82 minute miles.
26 minutes faster then my previous half-marathon and a full minute per mile faster then I expected as my best case.

Orran
2012-04-23, 01:24 PM
Congratualtions, that's a great result! The beginning of the post had me a little worried to be honest. Shame on the hotel, did they not expect runners to stay with them?

I ended up taking a month witbout any recorded times, since that leg pain I was experiencing turned out to get a lot worse, but I'm now getting back into regular training, and have found my pace didn't drop all that much. Also registered for my October 10 mile race, so that's a commitment now.

Crow
2012-04-23, 07:18 PM
My final time was 1:56:52 and a pace of 8:54.82 minute miles.
26 minutes faster then my previous half-marathon and a full minute per mile faster then I expected as my best case.

Well done! Congrats on the improvement.

I've got a bench press contest at my local gym coming up. Took 2nd place the last 2 years, when I did Crossfit (so basically no bench pressing). Have switched up to more strength-focused Crossfit Football, so I'm hoping that will give me the edge I need to win this year. No matter what, it will be hard to compete with prison-rats who do nothing but work upper body every day.

The biggest problem I am having right now is keeping my body weight within my division. The competition is in July, and if I get over 175 lbs by then, I will have to compete with 200 pounders who never work legs. Right now I hover just under 175, but as my strength is climbing, so is my weight.

After the bench contest, I'll be doing #Occupy Strength in California. When that comes along, I'm good up to 183lbs. :)

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-04-25, 08:16 PM
Got myself an 8-lb sledge today so I can start shovelgloving (http://shovelglove.com/).

LadyOfWar
2012-05-06, 06:18 PM
Hi folks!

I come seeking advice...

I'm a regular exerciser, but I'm bored to death.

Can anyone recommend some high-interest exercise programs?

I jog on the treadmill, bike both on-road and off, hike, and do a variety of calisthenics. I have no trouble getting exercise when the weather is nice, but I need something I can do at home on a day when the sky is spitting cold sleet. Something that won't have me bored to tears. Maybe something that would use my little collection of exercise equipment (treadmill, mini-trampline, resistance bands, chin-up-bar).

I've looked at a variety of work-out videos but they all seem silly... though the Insanity one caught my eye. Anybody use that? I'm leery of paying so much money for it though.

Any advice? Even suggestions of good music to listen to would be appreciated.

P.S. I was sick for some time and on complete bed rest followed by a grueling schedule at work that left me so physically wiped out I would just go home and pass out from exhaustion. I'm slowly returning to my old exercise habits. I was bored to begin with, but after this set-back I find my current lack of endurance disheartening. Combine the two and I'm dealing with a major case of meh.

Erloas
2012-05-06, 07:02 PM
Well I've been a big fan of the classes at the gym since I started them a year ago. The sense of community is good and makes it easier to keep going even when I don't really feel like it. Also the instructors are doing it all the time too, so they don't want to be bored either so they vary things up as well. The big classes right now are crossfit and plyometrics are getting a lot of attention, if you happen to live in an area where those types of classes are available. Zumba is pretty good too, though I'm not big on it I still go occasionally and a lot of women really seem to love it.

There are countless videos on the internet of various exercises and in most cases the programs are just someone's specific combination of normal exercises. So if you read up a bit on some of the programs you can probably figure out the core moves to their program and find how to do them without the videos. Though the videos might be a good thing in terms of motivation and direction.

What I also found kind of funny about the classes at the gym is that while a lot of the exercises can seem rather silly and unflattering, its been easier for me to do them in classes then if I tried to do them on my own. Yes, other people made me less self-conscious about the exercises then if I did them alone.

Crow
2012-05-06, 11:34 PM
In my signiture link there is a workout called 5-card stud. It is a beginner workout but fun. If one hand isn't enough, deal another.