PDA

View Full Version : Dictum/Blasphemy/etc questions

Little Brother
2011-11-30, 05:06 PM
Two questions about this hideously busted group of spells: One, is it possible to make a blasphemy hit only one person? Focus it so it doesn't screw your entire party if they're not all the correct alignment? Make it a single target spell or something?

And, two, is it possible to make yourself immune to your own dictums if not lawful? Is the only way those hideously expensive rituals from Savage Species? If so, can you use the Wish ritual to cover it?

Runestar
2011-11-30, 07:03 PM
You can use the shape spell feat (complete arcane, +1 slot) to turn it into say, a line or 4 squares. Sure makes aiming that much easier, but you need to be at least lv15 to pull this off.

As for the second, make yourself deaf? Alternatively, if you aren't using caster lv boosts, you can always opt to cast it at -1 caster lv so you always have more HD than its caster lv (though this will also limit the foes you can affect, since they typically have more HD than you).

Chess435
2011-11-30, 07:07 PM
Also at 8th level on the Cleric list is Greater Spell Immunity, which effectively gives unbeatable SR vs 4 spells of 8th level or lower.

Runestar
2011-11-30, 07:09 PM
Also at 8th level on the Cleric list is Greater Spell Immunity, which effectively gives unbeatable SR vs 4 spells of 8th level or lower.

Unfortunately, sr never applies against your own spells. :smallfrown:

jiriku
2011-11-30, 07:17 PM
Mastery of Shaping (hierophant) and Extraordinary Spell Aim (feat) come to mind. Wax in the ears is probably the best way, though. Being possessed by a fiend of possession with the appropriate subtypes might do it.

Psyren
2011-11-30, 08:24 PM
As for the second, make yourself deaf?

Deafness confers no special protection from the Dictum line; it only protects you from mind-affecting sonic attacks and/or language-dependent spells specifically.

Steward
2011-11-30, 08:45 PM

Even if you grant spell immunity to someone else?

Like, if I used Spell Immunity on someone and then chucked a Fireball at them, the Spell Immunity wouldn't protect them?

That's really rough. Sorry, OP, I guess you have to find a more inclusive spell...

Psyren
2011-11-30, 09:01 PM

Like, if I used Spell Immunity on someone and then chucked a Fireball at them, the Spell Immunity wouldn't protect them?

That's really rough. Sorry, OP, I guess you have to find a more inclusive spell...

I think you misunderstand; OP is trying to cast Dictum without being Lawful (and would thus be subjected to it.)

Giving someone else SR or Immunity would indeed protect them; doing the same to yourself would not protect you. In your fireball example, the target would be a-okay.

jiriku
2011-11-30, 09:04 PM
Deafness confers no special protection from the Dictum line; it only protects you from mind-affecting sonic attacks and/or language-dependent spells specifically.

Dictum and blasphemy specify that creatures within the area are affected. Holy word and word of chaos specify that affected creatures must hear the word. Consult your DM. YMMV. Always cast responsibly.

Psyren
2011-11-30, 09:11 PM
Dictum and blasphemy specify that creatures within the area are affected. Holy word and word of chaos specify that affected creatures must hear the word. Consult your DM. YMMV. Always cast responsibly.

I just realized the general entry on sonic attacks specifies making saving throws, which these spells don't have. Joy.

Anthrowhale
2011-11-30, 09:20 PM
Ocular Dictum is a ray spell that effects only one target within 60'. As a bonus, you can cast two at once. Lots of fun with circle magic.

Little Brother
2011-11-30, 09:20 PM
So, if I cannot hear a Word of Chaos, I am immune to it? Does that mean I could whisper it to someone 5 feet away, and the people 20 feet away wouldn't be affected?

And can the Wish ritual in Savage Species give you subtypes?

Psyren
2011-11-30, 10:02 PM
So, if I cannot hear a Word of Chaos, I am immune to it? Does that mean I could whisper it to someone 5 feet away, and the people 20 feet away wouldn't be affected?

No, because you can't whisper spells (whatever Hermione may tell you.)

A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice.

Little Brother
2011-11-30, 10:05 PM
No, because you can't whisper spells (whatever Hermione may tell you.)So you can't. Oh, well. You can still Silence Blasphemy and Dictum, since they don't need to be heard, right?

Who are you talking about? And what is your avatar, by the way? Some albino-ish Kenku Cloistered Cleric/Archivist?

deuxhero
2011-11-30, 11:46 PM
Take 6 levels in Horizion Walker?

Pretty sure there is some no-CL loss method of getting the same effect.

Runestar
2011-12-01, 07:25 AM
So you can't. Oh, well. You can still Silence Blasphemy and Dictum, since they don't need to be heard, right?

A silent dictum simply means it has no verbal components. The spell would still produce a sonic effect.

Mastery of Shaping (hierophant) and Extraordinary Spell Aim (feat) come to mind.

Unfortunately, heirophant does not grant mastery of shaping, else I would have suggested it in the first place. :smallfrown:

No, what I mean is that there is a rule in the PHB stating that sr never applies against the spells you cast on yourself. So if a drow wizard cast a fireball centered on himself, all his drow opponents around him get to roll for sr to see if their sr negates the fireball. The drow wizard's own sr however, would not offer any protection against his fireball at all. :smalltongue:

Steward
2011-12-02, 12:49 PM
I think you misunderstand; OP is trying to cast Dictum without being Lawful (and would thus be subjected to it.)

Giving someone else SR or Immunity would indeed protect them; doing the same to yourself would not protect you. In your fireball example, the target would be a-okay.

Ah, gotcha. I only looked at the first question (about casting a spell without screwing the entire party).

Why would you want to use a spell that you're morally opposed to using though? It doesn't seem worth the cognitive dissonance.

Psyren
2011-12-02, 02:17 PM
Why would you want to use a spell that you're morally opposed to using though? It doesn't seem worth the cognitive dissonance.

The spells are powerful enough that they are worth investing in/building around (see also: The Wish and The Word (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Wish_and_the_Word_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_ Build%29))

Note that the build there requires Savage Species rituals; the OP was asking if there was another way. (Not saying OP is trying to build The Word specifically, but again that line of spells is powerful enough to focus on.)

Who are you talking about? And what is your avatar, by the way? Some albino-ish Kenku Cloistered Cleric/Archivist?

You don't know who Hermione is?

As for my avatar, it appears to be a plague doctor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor) with a mystic/psychic bent. It was up for adoption and I liked it.

Little Brother
2011-12-02, 02:40 PM
You don't know who Hermione is?Context?

As for my avatar, it appears to be a plague doctor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor) with a mystic/psychic bent. It was up for adoption and I liked it.Hm. I never thought their masks were pink-ish.

Novawurmson
2011-12-02, 02:44 PM
Context?

Think carefully (http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/images/9/95/DeathlyPromo_Hermione.PNG) :D

Little Brother
2011-12-02, 03:39 PM
Think carefully (http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/images/9/95/DeathlyPromo_Hermione.PNG) :DOh, that series? I was happily repressing those memories.

What does that have to do with calling your attacks?

Psyren
2011-12-02, 04:09 PM
What does that have to do with calling your attacks?

She whispers a few spells in the movies (e.g. Lacarnum Inflamare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZl0ky1k3g) and Confundus) to avoid detection. I was pointing out that you can't do that in D&D; you have to speak clearly, so there's no way to limit Dictum's range by lowering your voice, putting your hand over your mouth etc.

And now that I've thoroughly explained the joke, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontExplainTheJoke?from=Main.ptitle0t9r68ih) I'll take my leave...

Incanur
2011-12-02, 04:12 PM

But immunity isn't SR, it just functions like SR. Does anyone have an official ruling on this? I've been wondering about it since that will-o'-wisp thread.

Chronos
2011-12-02, 07:44 PM
Wait, so you didn't mean Hermione, the queen from Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale?:smallconfused:

Psyren
2011-12-02, 08:19 PM
Wait, so you didn't mean Hermione, the queen from Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale?:smallconfused:

Never read that one, didn't know any of the characters in it. *shrug*

Runestar
2011-12-02, 08:51 PM
But immunity isn't SR, it just functions like SR. Does anyone have an official ruling on this? I've been wondering about it since that will-o'-wisp thread.

Well, immunity in dnd is simply infinite sr, and if sr does not apply, then it really doesn't matter how high your sr is, right? :smalltongue:

Though you do have a point in this ruling resulting in unintended consequences, like if a cleric casts spell immunity on himself, and it doesn't protect him against a fireball he casts on himself? I might have to rethink that...:smallconfused:

Coidzor
2011-12-03, 01:43 AM

As far as I know, no one's brought up druids yet, so there's no reason for anyone to be pursued by bears.