PDA

View Full Version : Factotum ToB help

psilich
2011-11-30, 06:22 PM
Hey all,

I would like some help with a character. The starting level is 6, and the campaign will probably end around level 17.

Material allowed: any wizards published (website or actual print). Homebrew is allowed on a case by case basis, and our DM's lenient as long as the homebrew doesn't completely and totally wreck the game.

I think I want to make a factotum/warblade, a jack-of-all trades/sneaky warrior type of character. Swordsage might also work instead of warblade, due to my starting ability scores.

My group uses a relatively high powered dice rolling variant, so my starting ability scores are: 18, 18, 17, 17, 16, 14.

Do you all have any advice? I know the usual exit points for factotum are either 3 or 8, however if I choose to stay in factotum till 8, then I'd lose 9th level maneuvers. Which would you consider more important, the extra standard actions due to factotum or ninth level maneuvers from warblade?

Any advice on what type of build to make?

Thanks.

sonofzeal
2011-11-30, 06:31 PM
Well, 9th level maneuvers aren't that critical, not nearly as critical as for spells, but the loss of Maneuvers Known/Readied will still hurt pretty bad, not to mention full BAB and various other Warblade sundries. Honestly, I'd just ask whether I wanted to be more melee or utility. Fac3/WB17 is more melee; Fac8/WB12 is more utility. That should make the choice easier.

JaronK
2011-11-30, 06:39 PM
I'd definitely get to Factotum 8 if you're doing this route. As for Warblade or Swordsage... both work. I'm a fan of Factotum X/Unarmed Swordsage 2 for a more stealth oriented build. If you want to be a more straight forward character, consider Factotum 8/Swordsage 2/Warblade 10 (well, Warblade 7 in your case) for the wider variety of maneuvers.

JaronK

jiriku
2011-11-30, 07:01 PM
If you're inclined, you could write yourself a warblade/factotum prestige class that advances martial initiator level, grants a few inspiration points and a few maneuvers, and includes cunning surge as a class feature.

JackRackham
2011-11-30, 07:40 PM
I'm personally a fan of factotum 19, swordsage 1. The capstone for factotum is awesome. I'm also big on skill-monkey/utility types though. Either way, the synergy between factotum 8 and a martial adept is too good to pass up, IMO (since most martial strikes are standard actions). In particular, swordsage gives you shadow hand and allows for shadow blade and assassin's stance and sneak attack is nice - that much nicer with scorching rays and extra standard actions from factotum 8. Again, just my two cents.

Draz74
2011-11-30, 07:52 PM
Going with either class as your "emphasis" can work well. But pick one or the other and stick with it, aside from short "dips."

I think you're going mainly for a Factotum build, so I would get at least 11 levels of Factotum. Really, Factotum never stops being strong; you'll be fine if you end up as Factotum 15 / Warblade 2 or something.

With stats like that, and assuming you can use Fractional BAB/Saves, I'd prefer Swordsage over Warblade. You can dip two Swordsage levels and pick up an excellent WIS-to-AC ability. Dip one Swordsage level at Level 5, then another at Level 10 (normally I would recommend the second dip at Level 8, but in this case I'd say delay it so you can get Cunning Surge as soon as possible). Then you can pick up a bunch of Level 2 ToB goodies and a couple Level 3 goodies, with only two levels lost.

Obviously INT should be an 18. Beyond that, it's pretty much just up to your personal style. I definitely don't think Weapon Finesse or Shadow Blade are worth it on a character than can easily have a 16 or higher as starting STR.

hex0
2011-11-30, 08:41 PM
If you're inclined, you could write yourself a warblade/factotum prestige class that advances martial initiator level, grants a few inspiration points and a few maneuvers, and includes cunning surge as a class feature.

Or you could see if you DM let you into Jade Phoenix Mage via your Arcane Dilletante ability.

psilich
2011-11-30, 10:40 PM
I don't think I want to go with Jade Phoenix Mage or making making my own prestige class, but thank you for the suggestions.

I think I'll go with Factotum up to 8. I don't think we are using fractional saves/BaB, so would warblade be the better choice in this case? Or would a two level (or more) dip in swordsage still be appropriate?

Basically I want the character to be a skill Monkey when possible, but still be able to effectively contribute to battles.

Would any particular style of fighting clearly be better in this situation?

As for feats, are there any must haves? I know Font of Inspiration, Adaptive Style, and knowledge devotion are all considered very good. Are there any others?

Thanks.