PDA

View Full Version : Mundane fire question

CommodoreCrunch
2011-11-30, 09:52 PM
Are there any rules for the effects of mundane fire being used offensively? What happens if I light a club on fire and hit someone with it? What if I coat a thrown weapon in oil, light it on fire and chuck it at someone? I'm not looking for the effects or chances of catching on fire, just the damage such objects would do. I haven't been able to find anything to this effect, just the rules on energy types and heat damage...

gbprime
2011-11-30, 10:55 PM
What happens if I light a club on fire and hit someone with it?

I think if you prepare it correctly, it is then called a Torch.

From the SRD and Player's Handbook under the description of a Torch in the equipment section...

If a torch is used in combat, treat it as a one-handed improvised weapon that deals bludgeoning damage equal to that of a gauntlet of its size, plus 1 point of fire damage.

So maybe skip the improvised part and upgrade the damage to club status (woo).

What if I coat a thrown weapon in oil, light it on fire and chuck it at someone?

Using the above as a guide, I'd say it does an extra 1 point of fire damage, IMO.

There's also the Weapon and Torch combat style feat from Dungeonscape (page 47) which gives you a free 1d6 fire damage and 1d4 rounds of dazed by whacking a foe in the face with a lit torch as an offhand weapon.

Tokuhara
2011-11-30, 11:07 PM
There's also the Weapon and Torch combat style feat from Dungeonscape (page 47) which gives you a free 1d6 fire damage and 1d4 rounds of dazed by whacking a foe in the face with a lit torch as an offhand weapon.

And Aragorn took this feat for giggles

CommodoreCrunch
2011-11-30, 11:22 PM
I think if you prepare it correctly, it is then called a Torch. ...

Okay. Bad example.

Anyways, I was mainly asking for the projectile thing. If there's nothing solid by RAW I guess I'll need to get permission for one of my characters on a case-by-case basis.

Cog
2011-11-30, 11:43 PM
Only dazzled rather than dazed, and you have to give up your iteratives. Might be worth it at lower levels if the game isn't going to get higher, though.

gbprime
2011-12-01, 12:18 AM
Only dazzled rather than dazed, and you have to give up your iteratives. Might be worth it at lower levels if the game isn't going to get higher, though.

I think I'm a victim of my auto-spellchecker on that one. I meant to say dazzled. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, this is one of those feats that only sees use if the DM is allowing feat retraining at later levels or if you're playing E6.