PDA

View Full Version : Skate psionic power- movement without moving.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-12-01, 09:12 AM
I was looking at the psionic power Skate the other day:

Skatey skate skate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/skate.htm)

And noticed the line that said:
If you manifest skate on yourself or another creature, the subject of the power retains equilibrium by mental desire alone, allowing her to gracefully skate along the ground, turn, or stop suddenly as desired.

Seems like it would allow movement with no physical action needed, just imagine, the psion gets his strength drained to 0, he falls helpless on the floor and then... slides away without moving! Even paralysis is no barrier:
A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions

The image of a psion frozen immobile by some paralyzing poison still sliding along the ground shooting mind blasts at their enemies cracks me up every time.

Also boots of skating are only 7000gp :p

shadow_archmagi
2011-12-01, 09:14 AM
The image of a psion frozen immobile by some paralyzing poison still sliding along the ground shooting mind blasts at their enemies cracks me up every time.

Congrats, you've figured out how to play as a bad Gmod animation

supermonkeyjoe
2011-12-01, 09:21 AM

Combine with the "up the walls" feat and stairs for additional hilarity

ToySoldierCPlus
2011-12-01, 09:32 AM

Combine with the "up the walls" feat and stairs for additional hilarity

I love this! I'm going to make this happen with my next psionic character.

And shadow, can I sig that?

Qwertystop
2011-12-01, 09:34 AM
What's "up the walls" do again?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-12-01, 10:23 AM

lets you move up walls so long as you don't exceed your base land speed and end on a horizontal surface.

I've always wanted to pit my PCs against skating enemies with up the walls in a rounded corridor who charge in a straight line that just so happens to go up the wall, along the ceiling and back down on the other side

I'd also give a bonus on perform:moonwalk for using this power.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-01, 10:25 AM

Allows psionicly focused characters walk on non-horizontal surfaces as long as he starts and ends his mmovement on level ground.

Psyren
2011-12-01, 10:26 AM
Not to be the bubble-burster, but it says you "retain equilibrium" by mental desire alone, not that you move by mental desire alone. That doesn't mean you move by thinking, it means you can skate around without falling on your behind. (As anyone who's ever skated for the first time knows, this isn't easy.)

Up the Walls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#upTheWalls) is a psionic feat that lets you... go up the walls.

Interesting trick with that - you fall only if you don't end your move on a horizontal surface. By RAW this means you can stand on the ceiling, as ceilings are horizontal.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-12-01, 10:39 AM
Not to be the bubble-burster, but it says you "retain equilibrium" by mental desire alone, not that you move by mental desire alone. That doesn't mean you move by thinking, it means you can skate around without falling on your behind. (As anyone who's ever skated for the first time knows, this isn't easy.)

That's a slight downer on my plans then but it shouldn't stop them being moved by outside forces such as telekinetic thrust, at which point they should have no problem gracefully skating along the ground, turning or stopping suddenly as desired.