PDA

View Full Version : Factotum/charlatan backstory

MelloHero
2011-12-01, 11:31 AM
Wow, it's been a while since I logged in here!

I'm working on a new character for an upcoming play by post game with my amigos, and I have a good character concept, I think: I'm playing a factotum/charlatan who has built a reputation as an accomplished mage. Here's the question I face: would someone who makes money to care for his family back home by swindling the gullible and spreading a bunch of BS fare better masquerading as an arcane or a divine caster? Divine seems easier as he is less likely to be feared by potential marks, can attract larger crowds, and can get some story hooks when actual clergy get suspicious, but the abilities from Factotum are better suited to masquerading as an arcane caster, with spells from the sorcerer/wizard list. Also, if I took Obtain Familiar, it would make for a much more convincing itinerant wizard than an itinerant cleric with 8 strength. which persona would be more convincing story-wise, and how should I explain and implement it?

Venger
2011-12-02, 02:51 PM
Wow, it's been a while since I logged in here!

I'm working on a new character for an upcoming play by post game with my amigos, and I have a good character concept, I think: I'm playing a factotum/charlatan who has built a reputation as an accomplished mage. Here's the question I face: would someone who makes money to care for his family back home by swindling the gullible and spreading a bunch of BS fare better masquerading as an arcane or a divine caster? Divine seems easier as he is less likely to be feared by potential marks, can attract larger crowds, and can get some story hooks when actual clergy get suspicious, but the abilities from Factotum are better suited to masquerading as an arcane caster, with spells from the sorcerer/wizard list. Also, if I took Obtain Familiar, it would make for a much more convincing itinerant wizard than an itinerant cleric with 8 strength. which persona would be more convincing story-wise, and how should I explain and implement it?

storywise and mechanically as well, an arcane caster (prefarably one keyed off of int) would provide better synergy since factoti get it to everything.

which version of charlatan are you using? there are several. is it the one from the advanced player's guide?

MelloHero
2011-12-05, 03:27 PM
The one from Dragon mag.

Venger
2011-12-05, 03:35 PM
can you give me an issue number or link if it's online so I can see what you're working with? it'll make my commentary more relevant.