PDA

View Full Version : [DM] Advice on a reverse material plane or parallel one.

killem2
2011-12-01, 01:55 PM
This is something I've been wanting to include in some of my groups later ventures. Maybe on a campaign that has a slightly altered setting.

I was thinking that before the adventure truly begins, we get into a little mishap where we enter some portal or are jaunted into some portal, I dunno yet on that, but basically everyone changes to a monstrous race opposite to the current race and at random.

I just don't know what would be good opposites for our group.

Halfling, gnome, elf, and two dwarves.

Rogue, wizard, ranger, fighter and cleric.

Think it could be done?

satorian
2011-12-01, 02:10 PM
Anything COULD be done, but I'm not sure it would be fun to force players to play the opposite of what they want to play. "Hey, guy who spent hours thinking about your human wizard's backstory and how it will make him an awesome wizard and fit all the feats and spell selection, and his need to say kazam every time he casts a spell, you are now a useless gnome fighter. Enjoy."

Don't be surprised if player response is jumping off a cliff and rolling up what they want to play.

Now, a parallel world where the characters are the same but the world around them is different could shape up to be fun. You could do it down alignment lines if you like (good drow, The Burning Hate) or any other way you think fit. Just don't undo the work your players have put into their characters.

CTrees
2011-12-01, 07:51 PM
Halfling, gnome, elf, and two dwarves.

Rogue, wizard, ranger, fighter and cleric.

Think it could be done?

Assuming a good aligned party?

Halfling -> Goblin
Gnome -> Svirfneblin
Elf -> Drow
Dwarves -> Duergar

These seem the most obvious, really. You could go more exotic, with gnome -> pixie (I like the idea of going pretty), dwarf -> orc, goblin, bugbear, gnoll, etc. Darrows also work for the small races, and orcs as an opposite for elves is a classic feel, too.

Class opposites should be simple, but I wouldn't force it on your party. That's just likely to breed too much resentment.