PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my NPCs?

missmvicious
2011-12-01, 05:16 PM
I've build a sample, generic L1 Expert Dwarf, designed so that any first time DM could grab the sheet and, with the role of a few dice, have a ready-to-go NPC suitable for all situations, complete with all stats.

I'm only building the base race characters and I'm building them on these principles:

1. RAW characters only (no home-brews)
2. Non adventurers (PC classes included, but built around having a job/career in town rather than surviving a random encounter).
3. As versatile and generic as possible.

Notes on how and why I build them this way:

I don't get credit for the basic layout. I built the PCs in Pathguy, and modified the layout so it only took 2 pages per char sheet instead of his usual 4 or 5.

I used Elite Array (so that they would be good at at least something and applied their best stat to their racial bonus, their worst stat to their racial penalty, and the rest of the stats were built based on what the class would need to perform their duties well enough.

From a fluff perspective, I thought this reflected their natural proficiencies and impairments working for or against their chosen career path as appropriate. I found this suiting since that seems to be how it works in the real world. I wanted to be a rock star, but I have crippling stage fright and am terrible with a guitar. It didn't stop me from trying, though I obviously didn't get that far. Same would go with a race with low INT who wanted to be an Expert, or low STR trying to be a fighter, sometimes our callings and our capabilities just don't match up.

This is also why all Feats are Skill Focus Feats.

My real question is about the layout.

Does it look easy to read and understand? If you were a brand new DM, starting your first campaign, and the players started rolling Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks against your shopkeeper, would this sheet be an easy-to-use resource for on-the-fly skill challenges, or for use if somehow an NPC got dragged into a campaign temporarily?

If you have any build suggestions, then I'm all ears too. But mainly, I just wanted to make sure I didn't just build this for me. I'll be passing these NPCs down to some players who want to stay in the 3.5 setting once I finish the transition to 4E, so I'd like it if they were good.

Anyway... I submit this to the Playground for your review:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/L1%20Expert%20Dwarf.pdf

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-01, 07:57 PM
Adobe Reader: The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

missmvicious
2011-12-02, 10:26 AM
?!?

Hmm... it's opening in Preview and Reader on my end. I don't understand. Do you have the most current version of Reader?

I have no idea what I could do from my end to fix this. It's not because I built it on a Mac is it?

CommodoreCrunch
2011-12-02, 10:28 AM
Works fine for me...

missmvicious
2011-12-02, 10:34 AM
And what were your thoughts? Is it easy to read and use? Would you say it's generally applicable enough? I realize that this character sheet may not build a key plot point NPC, but it's supposed to build a slightly interesting NPC that is good for all occasions... just in case the PCs decide to take their involvement with him/her further than you had intended.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-02, 08:43 PM
Do you have the most current version of Reader?

Apparently not....