PDA

View Full Version : So I am pitching a DnD Tournament.

Snowbluff
2011-12-01, 09:41 PM
Simple deal.

One on one.

WBL. No wands/scrolls/staves/spell-granting-items you can't make yourself. (No roflmao I haz shapechange as Warrior)

No tier 1 or 2. Wizards would dominate most levels otherwise.

Vow of Poverty is allowed, just in case you want to keep dispellers from wrecking you as melee.

Any other balancing suggestion?

Narsis
2011-12-01, 09:44 PM
no infinite loops.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 09:47 PM
Any idea for level, or at least xp totals? Flaws? Traits? ACFs? Action points? Sources allowed? Point buy or array? Other similar things?

Snowbluff
2011-12-01, 09:52 PM
no infinite loops.

Good one. That bans Thrallherd abuse and Pun-Pun.

Any idea for level, or at least xp totals? Flaws? Traits? ACFs? Action points? Sources allowed? Point buy or array? Other similar things?

Thinking about level. Maybe level 10. Using point buy for sure, and probably not allowing flaws, trait, or ACFs (so I don't have to sift through so much for bad writing/balance). People never take flaws that affect them, anyway.

I am thinking of allowing all completes, ToB, and maybe some other sources, like FC2 for HF lock, or BoED for Vow of Poverty.

Aegis013
2011-12-01, 09:55 PM
Arena size? Dimensions? What kind of terrain? etc etc.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 09:59 PM
Thinking about level. Maybe level 10. Using point buy for sure, and probably not allowing flaws, trait, or ACFs (so I don't have to sift through so much for bad writing/balance). People never take flaws that affect them, anyway.You might consider offering two different arrays: one slightly lower point buy for SAD classes (with one high score, one decent score, and several mediocre scores) and a slightly higher one for MAD classes (with several decent scores).

Snowbluff
2011-12-01, 10:06 PM
Arena size? Dimensions? What kind of terrain? etc etc.

Material Planes. I might allow Plane movement (I don't think you can at lower levels though) for short periods to avoid things like clouds or something. Actually, that sounds like a horrible idea.

Flat terrain, maybe some cover, and I'd like suggestions on arena size (120 x 120 x 40 is what I thinking right now).

Wyntonian
2011-12-01, 10:13 PM
Can we get some context? Is this for a PbP, or RL game? What are you trying to establish? I assume it's meant for PvP?

Snowbluff
2011-12-01, 10:15 PM
Can we get some context? Is this for a PbP, or RL game? What are you trying to establish? I assume it's meant for PvP?

Yeah, it's for PvP. Just thought it'd be cool to ee what my players come up with.

candycorn
2011-12-02, 12:45 AM
Here are some resources for you:

Arena (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207670)

Arena Recruiting Room (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207670)

They're level 1 PbP, but otherwise solid. It gives a good idea for low-level optimization. Mid level has a different bag of tricks, but you're probably going to see Psywarrior be the dominant force, as one of the more powerful caster classes in the Tier 3 range.

Rubik
2011-12-02, 12:48 AM
<snip> you're probably going to see Psywarrior be the dominant force, as one of the more powerful caster classes in the Tier 3 range.Aww. And here I was wanting to surprise the OP...

Geigan
2011-12-02, 01:20 AM
For a good example of a D&D 3.5 arena style game see the Test of Spite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150821).

Myth
2011-12-02, 07:54 AM
Dude, Tier 3 and no infintie loops is fine. You just leave room for things like an Ubercharger, Hulking Hurler or such. Perhaps limiting caster leve and damage dealt to some extent? 'Cause I'm sure WotC never intended for anyone to deal 30,000 damage on a successful leap attack charge.

Emmerask
2011-12-02, 09:07 AM
WBL. No wands/scrolls/staves/spell-granting-items you can't make yourself. (No roflmao I haz shapechange as Warrior)

No spell granting items?
You will see only chars with grafts then :smalltongue:
I would change that to something like no custom made magic items or only srd magic items with spells on them because items with spell abilities are one of the most important resources for lower tier classes (fly, invisibility, shield, haste etc)

Nohwl
2011-12-02, 10:01 AM
the old tos banlist would probably be a good start.

Snowbluff
2011-12-02, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!