PDA

View Full Version : Making my Pathfinder Paladin interesting.

Aasimar
2011-12-01, 09:56 PM
Howdy folks.

I'm gonna be making my first paladin for a Pathfinder game, probably set in the FR setting of third edition. It's gonna be my first pathfinder game, so even though I'm pretty comfortable with 3.5 and it's cousins (Saga edition, d20 modern, etc.), I wouldn't mind some helpful input.

I rolled pretty high for stats, 16, 15, 15, 15, 12 and 11. I wanted to do something like, half-elf paladin, female, going for the fullplate+greatsword style.

My thought was that she grew up as a noble, even minor royal, among the elvish part of her family, I wanted to introduce plenty of drama though, so I'd want to first of all say that she was a bit of an embarrassment being a half-blood and all. (though not to the point of being outcast or truly excluded from her family, just constantly awkward).

I'd like for her family to have some designs for her, either that she was supposed to be married away for an alliance (probably to a human noble house), or for her to be a priestess of their god. (Corellon Larethian for example) but her becoming a paladin following a vision put a wrench in all that. (I've yet to decide which God would be cool, I'd rather not it be Tyr, but Torm, Lathander, Helm or Kelemvor are all possibilities.)

Her stats are high enough that me and the GM agree that she'd probably be a sort of wunderkind, and the fact that she's half human and also excelling in many fields over her contemporaries would add to the tension.

I'm probably gonna arrange the stats so that she'd have str.16, dex.12, con.15, int.15, wis 11 and charisma 17 (using half-elf bonus).

I'm considering weapon focus, power attack, dazzling display, shatter defenses and persuasive as feats (over time)

Any suggestions? Would it be better for the drama if she were at a human court? If the Gods of her family were more opposed to the one she chose to follow (either CG or LE).

Basically just looking for some input.

Drothmal
2011-12-02, 12:37 AM
I'm playing a PF paladin at a pbp game and they are a lot of fun. Your fluff seems very interesting too!

For advice
I'd put the 17 in STR instead of CHA, so you can push it to 18 at level 4
Since you are a half elf, you can trade the skill focus for a more interesting 2H exotic weapon
Depending how high your campaign goes, a really good lvl 3 feat is Greater Mercy (+1d6 to Lay on Hands when Mercy doesn't apply). Though it looses effectiveness by lvl 8. If retraining is allowed, this is your lvl 3 feat

Useful link: Paladin guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/cryptic-s-lab)

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

Aasimar
2011-12-02, 05:30 AM
Cool, thanks.

Read the guide, very helpful.