PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #817 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2011-12-01, 10:03 PM
New comic is up.

DoughGuy
2011-12-01, 10:06 PM
Great Comic. I love Tarquin's little mix up at the end.

JSSheridan
2011-12-01, 10:07 PM
Thanks Giant!

Herabec
2011-12-01, 10:09 PM
Haha, very funny.

Loved Elan's failed attempt at playing along.

Ranzear
2011-12-01, 10:10 PM
"Oh you mean the carpet..."

Hilarious because I did the same as Tarquin, thinking he was talking about EoB.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-12-01, 10:12 PM
Is there any other way to rule an empire? Or control a flying carpet? :smallbiggrin:

SamBurke
2011-12-01, 10:13 PM
And the fans were RIGHT!

Forikroder
2011-12-01, 10:13 PM
oh elan

hopefully this will shut up some of the people who seem to think Tarquin has the time to personally review every arrest that happens in his nation in detail

Belril Duskwalk
2011-12-01, 10:14 PM
It's the fastest, it's red AND it has racing stripes. Priceless indicators of speed. Also, it's quite nice it's previous owner didn't miss it or long.

Xondoure
2011-12-01, 10:14 PM
Loved the look on Roy's face.

NerfTW
2011-12-01, 10:15 PM
And so it appears everyone is about to take off after forgetting V isn't there.... :smallbiggrin:

Raddish
2011-12-01, 10:16 PM
Yay for magic transportation devices.

Turning seems easy enough but I have never worked out how you make a magic carpet go up and down without tipping it over and falling off. I like imagining these things...

ThePhantasm
2011-12-01, 10:18 PM
Love the strip. Elan meeting Roy was pretty funny.

But yeah, where is V? And methinks Tarquin knows that Roy and Belkar were with Elan previously. This is almost too convenient, and I don't trust him.

Giggling Ghast
2011-12-01, 10:19 PM
I always figured that magic carpets just responded to your will.

Nice little "And don't call me Shirley" joke at the end there.

But yeah, where is V?

V was sent to the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing, remember?

Blackwing informed Roy and Belkar V was sent to another plane here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0809.html). Since none of them can cast Plane Shift, however, they can't get to her. Him. Whatever.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-12-01, 10:23 PM
Yay! Another great piece of work. But what about V?! :smalleek:

Seerow
2011-12-01, 10:25 PM
This strip was hilarious. Loved the last panel and the "he only missed it for 6 seconds"

Whiffet
2011-12-01, 10:25 PM
Well, congratulations to everyone who saw the bodyguard thing coming. :smallbiggrin:

ThePhantasm
2011-12-01, 10:26 PM
Also, Roy's riposte - "I take all my responsibilities personally, thanks. Do you? - wow, burn!!

V was sent to the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing, remember?

Yeah, I remember, but I thought she'd be back by now somehow...

Squirrel_Token
2011-12-01, 10:26 PM
"What's your name, Roy?"

Sweet, sweet new comic :smallbiggrin:

Anarion
2011-12-01, 10:27 PM
I feel like Roy is playing into Tarquin's plans somehow. He's a bit too law-abiding (to his credit usually) and Tarquin knows more tropes than Elan does, so he probably can anticipate Roy's reactions.

And of course the fastest carpet is red and has racing stripes. It's a universal truth.

And about that guy who lost the carpet. I hope he survived the fall, but wearing a blue feathered cap and yellow/orange striped pants really was making him a target.

Laws of Chaos
2011-12-01, 10:27 PM
Tarquin, a total evil bastard, but I do like him anyway lol.

Thanks for the update Giant!

Shadic
2011-12-01, 10:28 PM
"What's your name, Roy?"

Hah, great line.

Psyren
2011-12-01, 10:28 PM
"I can show you the woooooooorld...."

And so it appears everyone is about to take off after forgetting V isn't there.... :smallbiggrin:

He's on another plane, it's not like he has to reappear in the exact same spot he left. Might as well get on with the quest and pick him up later.

And who doesn't like ranch? :smalltongue:

blueblade
2011-12-01, 10:29 PM
ok, Tarquin is officially the nicest evil dad ever.

He knows Roy and Elan are in t
he same party, surely? And yet he helpfully sends them out together...
He also knows Elan won't use anything evil, so he happily spins a deception to get him to accept the carpet.

Giant, thank you for personifying "Evil is not Stupid" in General Tarquin.

Forikroder
2011-12-01, 10:32 PM
I feel like Roy is playing into Tarquin's plans somehow. He's a bit too law-abiding (to his credit usually) and Tarquin knows more tropes than Elan does, so he probably can anticipate Roy's reactions.

And of course the fastest carpet is red and has racing stripes. It's a universal truth.

And about that guy who lost the carpet. I hope he survived the fall, but wearing a blue feathered cap and yellow/orange striped pants really was making him a target.

even though they know the tropes its not like Tarquin has ever done anything becuase he knows its a trope

the only time ehs done something like that was only to convince elan to stop attacking him

i think Tarquin is more playing into Roys hands then roy into Tarquins but noone really gains anything substantial from this exchange Roy and Belkar go scot free, tarquin gets some peace of mind, not like theres any real hidden motives going on here Tarwuin recently got his hands on 2 powerful characters and is using them to protect his son and test there ability some more to see how they can handle certain situations so he knows if he can use them as bodyguards or jsut as "go here and smash this"

this comic doesnt prove that Tarquin knows Roy works with Elan it does reinforce that he doesnt though, if he knew they were in a party he wouldt have left the threat and wouldnt still be trying to get him on his team and would have been more open eneded like "and you can give me your answer after you get back" instead of seeming to think roy working for him is a given (if he knew Roy was with Elan then hed know Roy would never work for him and would never LET him work for him)

Gnome Alone
Sweet gods, do I hate Tarquin. Blithe little megalomaniac dictator scumbag. You do detestable villains really well, Comrade The Giant.

Gift Jeraff
A two day trip, huh? I wonder if that means:

-cut to Gobbotopia.
-cut to the Linear Guild/IFCC.
-something will happen to interrupt the Order's trip.

I doubt it'll just be their trip condensed into a few strips, and I doubt it'll cut to V's adventures, due to the completely silly plane s/he was banished to. I also doubt a scene change to O-Chul & Lien, since DStP commentary says we won't see much of O-Chul in volume 5.

Zea mays
2011-12-01, 10:34 PM

Do we know if Durkon and (dare I hope) Malack are joining in on this carpet ride? Ostensibly, Tarquin hasn't realized yet that Durkon associates with his son. :smallconfused:

Procyonpi
2011-12-01, 10:35 PM
oh elan

hopefully this will shut up some of the people who seem to think Tarquin has the time to personally review every arrest that happens in his nation in detail

How would this change anything? I'm abivalent to the theory that Tarquin is aware of Elan and Roy's pre-existing relationship, but this strip actually provides more evidence for it than against it in my mind - him wanting to set Elan up with people he knows how to work with. The theory already depends on him playing ignorant and misleading people about what he knows, which we know he's quite capable of.

even though they know the tropes its not like Tarquin has ever done anything becuase he knows its a trope

Ahem. "Elan, I am your father" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0723.html)

Not to mention having the dimmers installed for a dramatic moment.

Forikroder
2011-12-01, 10:37 PM
Do we know if Durkon and (dare I hope) Malack are joining in on this carpet ride? Ostensibly, Tarquin hasn't realized yet that Durkon associates with his son. :smallconfused:

Malack definently wont considering his constitution and if he was willing to go off and try to find and kill Nale he would have done so already

durkon will obviously be going since they have no intention of returning to the EoB (probably going to rendevous with Ochul after this) and Haley can ask for his spiritual guidance in there task

Forikroder
2011-12-01, 10:38 PM
How would this change anything? I'm abivalent to the theory that Tarquin is aware of Elan and Roy's pre-existing relationship, but this strip actually provides more evidence for it than against it in my mind - him wanting to set Elan up with people he knows how to work with. The theory already depends on him playing ignorant and misleading people about what he knows, which we know he's quite capable of.

the theory also hinges on him having so mcuh free time he can go through every single person arrested in the entire empire

all roy is to him is a powerful fighter (with sidekick) that he can use as a bodyguard to Elan

t209
2011-12-01, 10:38 PM
I love how Elan's stupidity on pretending on now knowing Roy in Panel 10!

rbetieh
2011-12-01, 10:40 PM
At least 5 different panels got me laughing. Very enjoyable.

Edit: Make that 6 Panels, I just got the Alladin reference. 1 step closer to annoying talking Parrot!!!

Anarion
2011-12-01, 10:40 PM

the only time ehs done something like that was only to convince elan to stop attacking him

i think Tarquin is more playing into Roys hands then roy into Tarquins but noone really gains anything substantial from this exchange Roy and Belkar go scot free, tarquin gets some peace of mind, not like theres any real hidden motives going on here Tarwuin recently got his hands on 2 powerful characters and is using them to protect his son and test there ability some more to see how they can handle certain situations so he knows if he can use them as bodyguards or jsut as "go here and smash this"

this comic doesnt prove that Tarquin knows Roy works with Elan it does reinforce that he doesnt though, if he knew they were in a party he wouldt have left the threat and wouldnt still be trying to get him on his team and would have been more open eneded like "and you can give me your answer after you get back" instead of seeming to think roy working for him is a given (if he knew Roy was with Elan then hed know Roy would never work for him and would never LET him work for him)

Don't forget the guard's manual including such gems as "Tarqin's Tips, if you hear a noise, try looking in the opposite direction of where it came from."

As for the analysis, you could be right. Tarquin might just be interested in seeing how effective Roy and Belkar are, regardless of whether they know Elan. I also think it's possible that Tarquin is aware of some kind of preexisting relationship but is simply confident enough that he thinks he can recruit Roy anyway. He might even intend to leverage the existing relationship with Haley and Elan in order to recruit Roy.

Forikroder
2011-12-01, 10:43 PM
Don't forget the guard's manual including such gems as "Tarqin's Tips, if you hear a noise, try looking in the opposite direction of where it came from."

As for the analysis, you could be right. Tarquin might just be interested in seeing how effective Roy and Belkar are, regardless of whether they know Elan. I also think it's possible that Tarquin is aware of some kind of preexisting relationship but is simply confident enough that he thinks he can recruit Roy anyway. He might even intend to leverage the existing relationship with Haley and Elan in order to recruit Roy.

admittably the manual is sorta trope influenced but if it was Elan he would have purposely not handed out the manual becuase he sees guards as someones whos supposed to fall for it

remember Tarquins talk with Elan? he has no intention of making the future assasination attempt easy and if he knows Roy works for Elan the last thing Tarquin would want is a high level fighter thats loyal to elan close to him at all

rbetieh
2011-12-01, 10:48 PM

How do they all fit on that 2 to 3 person carpet? Everyone make your tumble checks?

Forikroder
2011-12-01, 10:50 PM
How do they all fit on that 2 to 3 person carpet? Everyone make your tumble checks?

i guess the munchkin duo get a piggyback ride

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-01, 10:55 PM
Hm ... what's Tarquin's game here? This is going much too smoothly for him to not have some devious scheme in mind.

Warren Dew
2011-12-01, 11:06 PM
Great strip.

"I take all of my responsibilities personally, thanks." That needs to be on a coffee mug along with Roy's expression.

Roy's reaction to "What's your name, Roy" is great too.

And "Fear and intimidation, mostly, though a little torture here and there helps." Another classic line, especially when combined with Tarquins beatific expressions.

Zea mays
2011-12-01, 11:33 PM

Hrm. Maybe Durkon can do the wind-walk thingy again. "Dinnae look down!"

ThreadKiller
2011-12-01, 11:43 PM
:elan: Hi! I'm Elan! What's your name, Roy?
:roy: ... Roy.

Love this strip; so many great panels! :biggrin:

MammonAzrael
2011-12-01, 11:45 PM
With each strip I love Tarquin more. :smallbiggrin:

Also, it's great to see established powers with oodles of resources actually willing to put them at the hero's disposal, unlike most "save the world" style tales. And bonus points for making said resources generally unseemly!

paladinofshojo
2011-12-01, 11:51 PM
Hm ... what's Tarquin's game here? This is going much too smoothly for him to not have some devious scheme in mind.

Didn't he already say it? He feels responsible for how Nale turned out and wants to put an end to him (besides he did say Nale "knows too much"....)

BobVosh
2011-12-01, 11:53 PM
Tarquin is by far my favorite affably evil character ever.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-02, 12:00 AM
I love the continued use of "General" in the strip titles.

Great comic as always.

On V still being trapped, Durkon can definatly cast Plane Shift but that unfortunatly has a randomness factor. Can he cast Greater Plane Shift (8th level, SpC)? I think last time I perused the Geekery thread it showed him capable of casting 8th level spells.

AutomatedTeller
2011-12-02, 12:13 AM
Fun strip.

I don't really get the "Do you?" bit Roy said, but it's not a big deal.

Am I the only one who thought Tarquin seemed insincere about Nale?

And... does anyone else think it's a bad idea to rely on a magic carpet that can get yanked out from under you?

It seems kind of small for 4 people, though - 5 if you include Durkon. How do they sleep without falling off?

And I guess that the place Haley's dad knows isn't Windy Canyon, if it's 2 days continuous flying away. That would have to be over a week of walking.

pendrake40
2011-12-02, 12:29 AM
Elan: Hi, I'm Elan! What's your name, Roy?

Roy: ... Roy.

Just that one panel had me wiping laughter-tears away.

t209
2011-12-02, 12:38 AM
At least 5 different panels got me laughing. Very enjoyable.

Edit: Make that 6 Panels, I just got the Alladin reference. 1 step closer to annoying talking Parrot!!!

I hope Elan can show Haley a whole new world.

fluffybunny
2011-12-02, 12:40 AM
You keep staying classy Gen. Tarquin!
He is by far the coolest "villain" ever!

The Bushranger
2011-12-02, 12:46 AM
Panel 14...is that the first shifter we've seen in the comic?

deuxhero
2011-12-02, 12:49 AM
Wouldn't someone with the WBL to own a flying carpet have the HP to survival a max height fall?

Anarion
2011-12-02, 12:55 AM
Panel 14...is that the first shifter we've seen in the comic?

You mean the cat girl? She made an appearance here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html) as part of Tarquin's party.

Ninjaman
2011-12-02, 01:14 AM
I loved this comic. Awesome.

irenicObserver
2011-12-02, 01:25 AM
Wouldn't someone with the WBL to own a flying carpet have the HP to survival a max height fall?

it depends on whether or not he was an NPC.

Herabec
2011-12-02, 01:29 AM

Not if said person had a con penalty and/or was in a low HP class...like, say, Rogue or Sorcerer. And also assuming that the Giant plays the max falling damage rule straight.

silvadel
2011-12-02, 01:33 AM

-cut to Gobbotopia.

I doubt it'll just be their trip condensed into a few strips, and I doubt it'll cut to V's adventures, due to the completely silly plane s/he was banished to. I also doubt a scene change to O-Chul & Lien, since DStP commentary says we won't see much of O-Chul in volume 5.

No matter what the distance there is always ONE random encounter.

Dracarot
2011-12-02, 01:44 AM
I think Roy left a little loop hole.

:roy: Do I have the option of refusing at that time, if I dislike the terms?

Tarquin: I suppose, but I'm-

:roy: Then I accept

Tarquin: Good

Why do I feel that little gap in Tarquin's speech is reason for concern what will come with refusing because note Roy only asked if refusing was an option not a good option.

On another note I think I've just come up with a theory for Belkar's demise

Upon dealing with whatever issue is at Girard's gate Belkar will decide to sign up with Tarquin while Roy refuses, at this point the battle between Tarquin and crew as well as the OOTS will occur, resulting in Belkar's death.

Admittedly it's not very detailed at the moment and simple conjecture but hey that's why it's a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

SinsI
2011-12-02, 01:51 AM
Why would they need that carpet at all?
Wind Walk is 10-15 times faster, and V can provide them with all the aerial support they need.

FlawedParadigm
2011-12-02, 02:03 AM
It's been mentioned previously that Wind Walk in the open desert is a Bad Idea due to sandstorms. Given I never see hot air balloons flying low over deserts, this strikes me as probably sensible.

If Tarquin survives the strip, I wonder if he can get his own spin-off strip.

willpell
2011-12-02, 02:19 AM
I like how Tarquin feels "a little" responsible for Nale.

I wonder if Tarquin intended to include Mr. Scruffy among the bodyguard candidates (Mrrow?). He did after all score a kill in the arena...but on the other hand, he wasn't on the list....

:elan: "Hi Roy, what's your name?" I love it. Apparently Tarquin has already learned the valuable tuning-out-Elan skills which Roy has been forced to master.

Love Belkar's opinion of the carpet.

I also like how Tarquin is still smiling immediately after the mention of intimidation and torture. The man knows what he likes, and he really throws himself into his work.

squidbreath
2011-12-02, 02:23 AM
"I take all my responsibilities personally, thanks. Do you? "

^Can someone please explain this to me?
English isn't my first language.

Faltenin
2011-12-02, 02:41 AM
More comic gold and awesomeness... but I also wanted to throw some extra kudos for the rest of the dialogue. The General really speaks like a politician; just listen to your own in similar speech mode and note how many times they state they will "personally" take care of things, that objects are valuable because they come from their "personal" vault/belongings... :smallsmile:

The last lines remind us though that when Tarquin thinks about leaving his empire to one of his sons, it won't be Elan he has in mind...

Psyren
2011-12-02, 02:54 AM

Roy is saying that when he has a responsibility, he takes care of it himself.

Tarquin does not. His son is about to be in a lot of danger (from a variety of causes, but from his other son especially) and Tarquin is unwilling to even stop ruling his empire to help him. More importantly, Elan's biggest threat (Nale) is Tarquin's fault.

Instead, he's sending "bodyguards," while expecting Elan to clean up his mess. (Bodyguards he proceeds to threaten like he does everyone else who isn't Elan.)

Ancalagon
2011-12-02, 02:58 AM
That was funny. ;)

ShikomeKidoMi
2011-12-02, 03:04 AM
the theory also hinges on him having so mcuh free time he can go through every single person arrested in the entire empire

No, not really. All it requires is him to suspect the new guy who showed up around the same time as his son and beat Thog at the same time his son fought Nale might be connected. He doesn't have to notice Roy before that and after he suspects all he has to do is put them together and watch the repeated slip-ups they've made in dialogue.

Now, this theory may be false but it certainly doesn't require him to track every prisoner--just the ones he's taking a special interest in because they've done attention grabbing things like win the gladiator games. He doesn't have "every prisoner" up at his side watching them interact with his son.

Meph
2011-12-02, 03:37 AM
Lovable fine Belkar and its seasoned killer negotiation.

I've been so glad for the whole strip, thanks.

Killer Angel
2011-12-02, 03:46 AM
How do you control it?
Fear and intimidation, mostly.

:smallbiggrin:

A very good double strip, thanks, Giant.

faustin
2011-12-02, 03:53 AM
Empires or magic carpets are ruled by the same basic principle: Put your iron boot over it and press until make clear who is in command.

Question, the moment when Tarquin finally makes clear that he know about his son and the "bodyguards" relationship, will be the Order really surprised after all their verbal slips?

J.Gellert
2011-12-02, 04:47 AM
Tarquin just continues being awesome :smallbiggrin: Awesome!

Castamir
2011-12-02, 05:14 AM
I don't know about racing stripes, but red wunz go fasta, by an inch per turn. Scaling this by human move speed (6 inches vs 30 feet), the carpet is 5ft/round faster than regular ones.

dsavereide
2011-12-02, 05:22 AM
He does know that Haley is with both Elan and Durkon (spiritual advisor).

Kaytara
2011-12-02, 05:56 AM
Damn it, this is hilarious. I laughed out laugh both at Elan "meeting" Roy and almost managing to pretend correctly but not quite (which is exactly what I expected of him) and at the "fear and intimidation" one.

Also, "Think of the exposure!" Yeah. As an sort-of-quasi-not-quite-professional-artist who hears that way too often, I give it +10000. Tarquin would be exactly the sort to bring that "argument" to bear. >D

iTookUrNick
2011-12-02, 06:02 AM
Superlative comic, a mine of comic gold :smallsmile:

We all called the bodyguard stunt. Not that it was much of a leap of imagination... :smalltongue:

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-02, 06:06 AM
Yes, "what's your name, Roy?" "...Roy." is one of the funniest moments in the comic for quite a few strips, now. :smallbiggrin:

maxon
2011-12-02, 06:06 AM
Ah Tarquin, you're not helping yourself.

Roderick_BR
2011-12-02, 06:10 AM
I'll just say this: When *ELAN* is the one throwing dirty looks, you know it'll be comedy gold :smallbiggrin:

Hurkyl
2011-12-02, 06:15 AM
I love the joyful smiles on Tarquin's face when Elan flubs up the charade and the 'accidental' misinterpretation at the end. :)

Kareasint
2011-12-02, 06:36 AM
"I can show you the woooooooorld...."

He's on another plane, it's not like he has to reappear in the exact same spot he left. Might as well get on with the quest and pick him up later.

And who doesn't like ranch? :smalltongue:

Oddly enough, my first thought on the identity of the former carpet owner was the same.

V is out of the action until they come up with a way of getting him off the plane. If either Durkon or Malack has access to 8th level spells, they can use Discern Location to find V but getting him off the plane is still going to be tricky.

Kish
2011-12-02, 06:40 AM

Roy is saying that he cares about his responsibilities, and implying that Tarquin doesn't care about his.

Gusion
2011-12-02, 07:21 AM
Very nice Rich.

Question: Elan, how did you know Roy's name was Roy?

Answer: Bardic knowledge.

All around great strip. Good jokes, funny lines, I approve.

I do find it a little weak that Tarquin couldn't get them a teleport to somewhere closer to cut some time off the trip. Trying to teleport directly there would probably be a bad idea, but why not go half-way and only have one day's travel left?

Anyway, maybe the rug is 10x10, that's plenty of room for everyone. They have roughly 375 miles to go. If it is really a race they should stock up on items (replenish rations and such) and go... not wait until the next morning.

I wouldn't worry about V. She's quite capable, and if she needs she'll cause enough trouble to get herself banished. Then when back on the plane her familiar will be able to telepathically communicate; then tell the group where she is. From there she might have to buy a teleport from another wizard, which would be terribly pride wounding for her, or figure her own way back.

Capt Spanner
2011-12-02, 07:38 AM
I have the feeling that Tarquin knows that the rest of the Order are the rest of the Order. It's been far from subtle and Tarquin isn't stupid.

I think he's just playing innocent as a matter of making Elan feel at ease and in order to save face in allowing these "criminals" to accompany his son.

pendell
2011-12-02, 07:48 AM
*Chuckle*

I LOVE that last line. I think I'll eventually start a thread on "evil driving school" based on mis-understanding that last line about controlling through "fear and intimidation".

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Burner28
2011-12-02, 07:53 AM
Liked it!:smallsmile:

Onyavar
2011-12-02, 08:02 AM
The story is smoothly moved forward. No tweeests, but comedy platin. :smallsmile:

Well, congratulations to everyone who saw the bodyguard thing coming. :smallbiggrin:
:smallcool:
Thanks. Congrats to the others as well. We all saw it.

I.care.0
2011-12-02, 08:09 AM
It's only me or is Tarking sounding a lot like Lord Vetinari lately?:smalleek:

eulmanis12
2011-12-02, 08:14 AM
loved the fear/intimidation line. As for escaping the demi-plane of ranch dressing al V needs to do is locate the hidden valley and stow away in an outbound shipment.

The Pilgrim
2011-12-02, 08:25 AM
Red zings go fasta! Tarquin understands!

About the bodygard thing... saw it coming. A logical and easy way to tie up the subplot and move on towards more pressing issues.

bopeuph
2011-12-02, 08:28 AM
Coming out of lurking to show my satisfaction for the "consider the exposure!" comment. I'm a pro musician, and hear that way too often. People think that because they're not willing to pay, someone will. I think I will go Belkar all over them next time.

factotum
2011-12-02, 08:28 AM
No, not really. All it requires is him to suspect the new guy who showed up around the same time as his son and beat Thog at the same time his son fought Nale might be connected.

He has no idea Roy is new in town. He's new in the *arena*, true, but that tells him nothing about when Roy arrived in town, it just tells him that whatever "crime" Roy committed to be thrown in prison happened recently.

As for the second link, that's easy to explain: Roy was fighting Thog in an arena event organised specially for Elan's homecoming, and that brought Elan to Nale's attention. No requirement for there to be any sort of link to Roy there.

Scarlet Knight
2011-12-02, 08:50 AM
Great strip...
And "Fear and intimidation, mostly, though a little torture here and there helps." Another classic line, especially when combined with Tarquins beatific expressions.

I would buy a mug for my boss with this ! Or a poster for my cubicle...

DoveArrow
2011-12-02, 09:13 AM
I should just like to point out that recurring foes do not always get stronger with successive appearances. Exhibit A: Recurring foes from 80's cartoons.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3e/Bebop_and_Rocksteady.jpg/300px-Bebop_and_Rocksteady.jpg

I rest my case. :-)

Hamiltonz
2011-12-02, 09:39 AM
Red zings go fasta! Tarquin understands!

About the bodygard thing... saw it coming. A logical and easy way to tie up the subplot and move on towards more pressing issues.

Ah yes, but I for one didn't anticipate the negotiation. Even when being predicatable, the Giant still throws a zinger.

I'm definitely expecting that quick agreement to come back to haunt Roy.

Kudos, Giant, well played.

danielmayer
2011-12-02, 09:41 AM
so....many....jokes...
Thanks Giant: during the last day of a really, really bad week I needed this. Of all those jokes, I can't decide for the best...
I definitely liked the flying carpet and Tarquins' remark of capture.... missed it only for seconds - outstanding! One of my overall favorite stripes for sure!

How to run an empire... After I'm CEO with roughly 200 employees, I got the hint! A little torture here and there... priceless! Thanks! :)

Kaytara
2011-12-02, 09:52 AM
I like how Tarquin says "If any lasting harms comes to my son while under your protection", not "if any harm", as would be the more usual phrase. Obviously he wouldn't expect Roy to be able to protect the Hero from any hitpoint loss, but his phrasing still makes sure that that comes across clearly. It shows how careful and genre-savvy he is in his wording, even casually.

AbuSpud
2011-12-02, 10:08 AM

They'll all try to get in Haley's bag.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-02, 10:10 AM
What? A magic carpet? What's next? A blue djinn who sings and does really horrible impressions? LOL! Childhood classics!

Who149
2011-12-02, 10:24 AM
What? A magic carpet? What's next? A blue djinn who sings and does really horrible impressions? LOL! Childhood classics!

I wouldn't doubt it 100% Though it would probably be a single panel joke.

Psyren
2011-12-02, 10:26 AM
They'll all try to get in Haley's bag.

Then that flight had better take less than 10 minutes, or she'd better have a Bottle of Air in there.

Anyway, about the Carpet of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying); even if they bring V back, he and Blackwing can fly on their own, so we still only have to worry about the other 6 (5 if Belkar carries Scruffy). a 10x10 carpet can carry all of them easily; a 5x10 carpet (which this one looks to be) can carry 4 of them (double its capacity of 2) which leaves one person to worry about.

If the winds aren't particularly strong, Durkon can forego the carpet and Air Walk; he'll be less susceptible to the breeze this way than he would if trying to Wind Walk as he won't be made of gas.

If Scruffy counts towards the carpet's capacity even when carried, Durkon can carry him instead.

Peelee
2011-12-02, 10:34 AM
Yay for magic transportation devices.

Turning seems easy enough but I have never worked out how you make a magic carpet go up and down without tipping it over and falling off. I like imagining these things...

Since nobody's seemed to answer, I'd imagine they lift and descend elevator-style. Keep the surface horizontal for stability of the rider during altitude changes. Or "loose thread" seatbelts

Paseo H
2011-12-02, 10:34 AM
Is it bad that for me, the highlight of this one was the flashback of the catfolk chick? :smalltongue:

Granted, she appears to be at least almost as evil as Tarquin, so that's a dealbreaker right there.

Forikroder
2011-12-02, 10:38 AM
No, not really. All it requires is him to suspect the new guy who showed up around the same time as his son and beat Thog at the same time his son fought Nale might be connected. He doesn't have to notice Roy before that and after he suspects all he has to do is put them together and watch the repeated slip-ups they've made in dialogue.

Now, this theory may be false but it certainly doesn't require him to track every prisoner--just the ones he's taking a special interest in because they've done attention grabbing things like win the gladiator games. He doesn't have "every prisoner" up at his side watching them interact with his son.

so the new guy who he has no idea when actually showed up or for what reason he was imprisoned...
for all he knows he was arrested a while ago perhaps he was transfered from some other prison, perhaps he missed him the last time he was checking out the prison (whos know if he actually does it regularily perhaps this time was special becuase of the special time) he has no idea if he was actually a mass murderer or some other crime that would be suitable to land him in jail and which would obviously put him at odds from Elan

he has no idea about anything surrounding Roy just that hes a strong fighter

Procyonpi
2011-12-02, 10:57 AM

all roy is to him is a powerful fighter (with sidekick) that he can use as a bodyguard to Elan

No, the theory hinges on his ability to go through the files of every high-level adventurer arrested in his empire who just survived a breath attack from a half-dragon without looking particularly worse for wear.

I like how Tarquin says "If any lasting harms comes to my son while under your protection", not "if any harm", as would be the more usual phrase. Obviously he wouldn't expect Roy to be able to protect the Hero from any hitpoint loss, but his phrasing still makes sure that that comes across clearly. It shows how careful and genre-savvy he is in his wording, even casually.

Eh, if he showed TRUE genre savvy, he'd know that these types of statements increase the chance of harm coming to Elan.

Trixie
2011-12-02, 11:10 AM
Why would they need that carpet at all?
Wind Walk is 10-15 times faster, and V can provide them with all the aerial support they need.

A) Waste of high level spell slots, Durkon not being officially affiliated;

B) V? From another plane? Kind of hard, methinks.

KoboldRevenge
2011-12-02, 12:09 PM
A little torture Always helps! HaHaHa!

brionl
2011-12-02, 12:40 PM
No, the theory hinges on his ability to go through the files of every high-level adventurer arrested in his empire who just survived a breath attack from a half-dragon without looking particularly worse for wear.

Right. If he was thinking about hiring on Roy & Belkar, you'd think he'd look through their files after they caught his interest.
Also, as previously mentioned, Elan & Durkon are terrible liars.
These people know about adventuring parties, and Tarquin should know that Bard, Rogue, Wizard is a really pathetic party. He'd be looking for a couple more "unaffiliated" high level characters in the area.

*Chuckle*

I LOVE that last line. I think I'll eventually start a thread on "evil driving school" based on mis-understanding that last line about controlling through "fear and intimidation".

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mr. Puff? Is that you? Mrs. Puff thinks you're dead.

Ftep
2011-12-02, 12:43 PM
On an unrelated note: have we seen this panel layout before? A half-sized panel followed by a full-sized panel?

Blaznak
2011-12-02, 12:52 PM
Too many good one-liners. Wonderful stuff.
"he only missed it for a few seconds" - Now a new classic.

Peelee
2011-12-02, 01:01 PM
On an unrelated note: have we seen this panel layout before? A half-sized panel followed by a full-sized panel?

Well, the last one was full-sized with half-sized at the end. It would be a bit strange to have them both be on the same page when the book is released, so maybe Giant has a very short bonus strip/commentary/other idea to full the rest of the page on these two comics? Seems like a somewhat plausible theory

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-02, 01:04 PM
The two halves will be combined in the book, and this has been seen before, namely during the Darth V arc and strips #775-776.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-02, 01:16 PM
The two halves will be combined in the book, and this has been seen before, namely during the Darth V arc and strips #775-776.

We also saw this during the arena with Enor and Gannji's fight, IIRC.

DrizztFan24
2011-12-02, 01:19 PM
Anyone else notice that the tassel on the carpet in the last panel should still appear behind Elan? It is long enough that a bit of it should hand next to his knees.

Adeptus
2011-12-02, 01:21 PM
One of the best end gags this one. Excellent update :)

Jay R
2011-12-02, 01:28 PM

Shouldn't be too hard. The previous owner managed it every time but once.

I wonder if Tarquin intended to include Mr. Scruffy among the bodyguard candidates (Mrrow?). He did after all score a kill in the arena...but on the other hand, he wasn't on the list....

Of course he included Mr. Scruffy. He said he had two specific candidates in mind, and then pointed. Who else could he have meant but the two who won in the arena - Roy and Mr. Scruff? Belkar, or course, is not a bodyguard, but merely a bumbling sidekick. (Note that Tarquin did not offer Belkar a position in #813; Roy bargained a pardon for him.)

Deth Muncher
2011-12-02, 01:32 PM
Tarquin's bit at the end might be the first time I've actually lol'd at this comic instead of just smiling at the jokes. Good job Giant.

Forikroder
2011-12-02, 01:43 PM
except he has no idea that that happened, all he could ever learn is taht Roy was arrested for not having his papers

Right. If he was thinking about hiring on Roy & Belkar, you'd think he'd look through their files after they caught his interest.
Also, as previously mentioned, Elan & Durkon are terrible liars.
These people know about adventuring parties, and Tarquin should know that Bard, Rogue, Wizard is a really pathetic party. He'd be looking for a couple more "unaffiliated" high level characters in the area.
unless the rest of Elans part wasnt captured by the bounty hunters (or WERE the bounty hunters) and were waiting at a predesignated area told by them by sending

i think its far more likely that any other members of Elans party would position themsleves ina position where they would be useful instead of in jail

Tarquin doesnt seem to involved with the jails, i mean Ian and Geoff were 2 important prisoners if only becuase of teh ransom yet he doesnt even know they exist

NegativeFifteen
2011-12-02, 03:22 PM
Would it surprise anyone else if the next strip cut to V standing over a burning semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing?

I gotta lay off the purple drink...

Procyonpi
2011-12-02, 03:33 PM
except he has no idea that that happened, all he could ever learn is taht Roy was arrested for not having his papers

Oh please. This is a papers-happy lawful evil empire. Do you really think Gannji, Enor, and the owner of the inn weren't questioned? Even if they just debriefed the guards, they'd know that Roy survived an attack from "that big blue dragon" without looking particularly hurt. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0731.html)

rbetieh
2011-12-02, 03:47 PM
Oh please. This is a papers-happy lawful evil empire. Do you really think Gannji, Enor, and the owner of the inn weren't questioned? Even if they just debriefed the guards, they'd know that Roy survived an attack from "that big blue dragon" without looking particularly hurt. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0731.html)

Why do they even need that? The warden of the prison thought so highly of Roys combat skill that he matched Roy Vs Thog. They know they have a high-level warrior class on their hands, all thats left is for them to figure out he is a "PC" and not an "NPC".

Kish
2011-12-02, 03:57 PM
Would it surprise anyone else if the next strip cut to V standing over a burning semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing?

Yes, it would surprise me. Last we checked, Vaarsuvius was trying to be good, or at least neutral. I don't expect him/her to go through the kind of (im)moral development that would lead him/her to, "An appropriate response to aggravation is to firebomb an entire plane where the single native I've met is friendly" offpanel.

Thagorn
2011-12-02, 04:18 PM
Does Tarquin know that Roy and Elan knew each other?

Two clearly high level adventurers were arrested after a fight which was started due to retribution related to Elan's bounty. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0731.html) KilKil testified during the bounty hunter's trial so he would know which bounty there was retribution for. He probably told Tarquin.

Even if he didn't tell Tarquin it would be in their arrest file which Tarquin would look at as soon as he became interested in them. (Especially once considers hiring them and wants them hanging around near his son.)

When Tarquin visits the arena Belkar describes Elan to a tee. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0753.html)

Mr. Scruffy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0781.html) In this scene Elan also mentions Belkar but I'm willing to let it slide that Tarquin wasn't paying attention.

As mentioned previously Durkon and Elan are terrible liars. Is Tarquin really the kind of guy to miss Elan knowing Roy's name (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0817.html)?

Tarquin was part of an adventuring party for a long time. He would know that there is more to the party than just V, Elan and Haley.

Tarquin has seen Roy and Belkar fight. He knows they are the approximate level of Elan and Haley.

Tarquin wouldn't let just anyone be his son's bodyguard. Seeing Roy fight once "may" be enough to let him go free and give him a job, that isn't a very good judge of character for someone he plans to entrust his son's life to.

I would also assume he has figured out Durkon at this point since they are hiding him as clumsily as Roy and Belkar. Once he figures out Durkon he would be looking for more party members. Durkon even told Malach he was part of an adventuring party and Durkon fought with Elan and Haley when Nale attacked.

So why is he doing this?

Tarquin just isn't the kind of person to tip his hand. He may well learn more about the group through their charade then by letting them know he knows who they are.

Assuming he does know he has to find some plausible excuse to get them back together. Their party is clearly powerful enough to break out of prison and prison breaks would damage Tarquin's hold over the empire. He wouldn't be willing to actually kill Elan or do something similar to stop a potential jailbreak.

Tarquin wouldn't want Elan to race Nale with half a party. He does care about Elan, he does actually want bodyguards.

This is a convenient way for Tarquin to completely control the situation AND help his son.

Raistlin82
2011-12-02, 04:35 PM
Haley and Elan were never subtle, and I never doubted for a minute that Tarquin knew the identity of the OotS members. I mean, look at how Elan once again messes it up in this strip and Tarquin doesn't even comment.

However... he went to such great lengths to put them together and send them off... this sounds shifty. I'm truly wondering what his angle is in this.

Oh, and I love Tarquin's genuine smile in the second to last panel, after he explains "how you control it". :smallsmile:

Sir Augusta
2011-12-02, 04:58 PM
Awesome- is the "and it's painted red" quote a reference to "da red onez go fasta'!" from the Orkz from Warhammer 40k?

Kish
2011-12-02, 05:07 PM
I doubt it's a direct reference.

The notion that red color in a vehicle goes with speed is much older than Warhammer.

turkishproverb
2011-12-02, 06:05 PM
Oh Tarquin , how you amuse me so.

Forikroder
2011-12-02, 06:37 PM

no i dont think they were questioned at all

there was a bar fight, they arrested who started it and everyone without papers and left we saw the entire scene

and the guards dont know he took hits from the dragon they only know they were both participants of a bar fight

Does Tarquin know that Roy and Elan knew each other?

Two clearly high level adventurers were arrested after a fight which was started due to retribution related to Elan's bounty. KilKil testified during the bounty hunter's trial so he would know which bounty there was retribution for. He probably told Tarquin.

Even if he didn't tell Tarquin it would be in their arrest file which Tarquin would look at as soon as he became interested in them. (Especially once considers hiring them and wants them hanging around near his son.)

When Tarquin visits the arena Belkar describes Elan to a tee.

Mr. Scruffy In this scene Elan also mentions Belkar but I'm willing to let it slide that Tarquin wasn't paying attention.

As mentioned previously Durkon and Elan are terrible liars. Is Tarquin really the kind of guy to miss Elan knowing Roy's name?

Tarquin was part of an adventuring party for a long time. He would know that there is more to the party than just V, Elan and Haley.

Tarquin has seen Roy and Belkar fight. He knows they are the approximate level of Elan and Haley.

Tarquin wouldn't let just anyone be his son's bodyguard. Seeing Roy fight once "may" be enough to let him go free and give him a job, that isn't a very good judge of character for someone he plans to entrust his son's life to.

I would also assume he has figured out Durkon at this point since they are hiding him as clumsily as Roy and Belkar. Once he figures out Durkon he would be looking for more party members. Durkon even told Malach he was part of an adventuring party and Durkon fought with Elan and Haley when Nale attacked.
your assuming he cares

hes a busy guy with alot of stuff to do and doesnt have time to do daily rotations through the prisons and take a close look at every prisoner who checks in

as for elans terrible acting whos to say Tarquin was paying such close attention to everything his son said to haley? its not like they were that close and tarquin was busy watching the games

if Tarquin suspects tehre are other members of elans group he wouldnt be looking in the prisons for them

as for looking into Roys past why should he care about roys past at all? roys apst doesnt change a thing, what bad could he possibly find? "oh it seems like you used to be part of a group of mercenarys who kidnapped children for there organs, sounds like youd fit right in!" Tarquin is LOOKING for evil fighters to be his iron fist and dot he jobs he cant be seen associated with nothing in roy or belkars past could have possibly turned him agaisnt hiring them

Djibril
2011-12-02, 06:52 PM
BEST COMIC EVER!

Next character i'm going to do is soooo gonna be L/E!

Procyonpi
2011-12-02, 08:58 PM
and the guards dont know he took hits from the dragon they only know they were both participants of a bar fight

Dude, did you even read the strip that I linked? The innkeeper explicitly states that "the big half-dragon dude" attacked Roy, and Roy doesn't have a lot of visible damage. It would be perfectly reasonable to assume that the guards could tell he must be somewhat high-level, and perfectly reasonable to assume that Tarquin likes to look into the background of high-level prisoners.

pdellorto
2011-12-02, 09:26 PM
Really great comic. This has been one of those "see it coming from a mile away" situations, but the anticipation just made it funnier. Seeing Roy get assigned to Elan is just really funny - poor Roy, being the straight man is a tough job. And I really enjoy Tarquin's appearances.

And now I want to put a magic carpet in my GURPS game that is controlled by intimidation and fear, with a little torture now and then.

Forikroder
2011-12-02, 10:18 PM
Dude, did you even read the strip that I linked? The innkeeper explicitly states that "the big half-dragon dude" attacked Roy, and Roy doesn't have a lot of visible damage. It would be perfectly reasonable to assume that the guards could tell he must be somewhat high-level, and perfectly reasonable to assume that Tarquin likes to look into the background of high-level prisoners.

so how do they know that roy didnt make his reflex save? or the dragon fail his rolls?

jsut becuase he attacked roy doesnt mean the dragon launched some amazing sure hit heavy damage attack taht Roy shrugged off

Steward
2011-12-02, 10:30 PM
so how do they know that roy didnt make his reflex save? or the dragon fail his rolls?

jsut becuase he attacked roy doesnt mean the dragon launched some amazing sure hit heavy damage attack taht Roy shrugged off

They don't have to be 100% sure to still bother checking into his background. I don't know if the rest of the theory is correct or not but this part does make sense. If I'm someone like Tarquin, and I know that I have a prisoner who went head-to-head with a being as superpowered as Enor and survived mostly unscathed, I would at least check it out. It might turn out to be just a fluke like you're saying, but it might not be and you don't get to be in charge of your own empire by being really lazy about that sort of thing!

Warren Dew
2011-12-02, 10:31 PM
Is Tarquin really the kind of guy to miss Elan knowing Roy's name (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0817.html)?
Considering Tarquin's incredibly high opinion of Elan, he probably just thinks Elan guessed correctly.

Forikroder
2011-12-02, 10:46 PM
They don't have to be 100% sure to still bother checking into his background. I don't know if the rest of the theory is correct or not but this part does make sense. If I'm someone like Tarquin, and I know that I have a prisoner who went head-to-head with a being as superpowered as Enor and survived mostly unscathed, I would at least check it out. It might turn out to be just a fluke like you're saying, but it might not be and you don't get to be in charge of your own empire by being really lazy about that sort of thing!

Thog is alot stronger then Enor so watching Roy beat Thog was all he needed to know about Roy, he was very strong

the only other thing he needed to know about roy is what it would take to have him on his team which he was in the process of figuring out

as for elan knowing roys name, roy was the main event of a giant gladitorial games and had spent time in the palace among the guards i dont think youd need a very high bardic knowledge check to learn his name

Nevereatcars
2011-12-02, 11:07 PM
Shouldn't be too hard. The previous owner managed it every time but once.

Damn, son, that be gallows humor!

Morgan Wick
2011-12-03, 12:03 AM
oh elan

Don't be so sure. His lack of response to Elan letting "Roy" slip could mean he's as oblivious as Elan, or it could mean he knows damn well Roy's with Elan.

-cut to Gobbotopia.

Gobbotopia I doubt unless it's very quick and sets up their departure. Something interrupting the Order's trip is possible (Bozzok or the elves perhaps?) but we don't have that much time left in the book for something as major to the plot as a gate showdown. The Linear Guild or IFCC is plausible.

I wouldn't be surprised if 818 is the gang leaving without V, followed by Elan saying "I've got this nagging feeling we're all forgetting something." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0072.html)

Procyonpi
2011-12-03, 02:25 AM

"the guards might have assumed he got lucky" is a far cry from your original argument that there's no possible way that Tarquin could have had any reason to have investigated Roy unless he investigates all his prisoners. And this is already based on the dubious assumption that an excessively lawful empire didn't do a basic investigation of a crime.

Mojique
2011-12-03, 06:18 AM
Don't trust Tarquin. Since panel 2 I know definitely: he is up to no good!

Gusion
2011-12-03, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Psyren;12312035Anyway, about the Carpet of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying); even if they bring V back, he and Blackwing can fly on their own, so we still only have to worry about the other 6 (5 if Belkar carries Scruffy). a 10x10 carpet can carry all of them easily; a 5x10 carpet (which this one looks to be) can carry 4 of them (double its capacity of 2) which leaves one person to worry about.

If the winds aren't particularly strong, Durkon can forego the carpet and Air Walk; he'll be less susceptible to the breeze this way than he would if trying to Wind Walk as he won't be made of gas.[/QUOTE]

So you have two things inaccurate.

1. As you even linked, a carpet of flying doesn't have any restriction on how many people are on it. The restrictions are purely weight based. And D&D allows for friendly characters to be in the same 5ft square - logical and common sense aside. I have no doubt Rich researched this before introducing the carpet.

2. The carpet will be flying *non-stop* for ~2880 minutes. Air walk has a 10 min/level duration and duration aside, it requires the caster to move - and the rules forbid a forced march for that long.

Wind Walk fixes some of those problems (1/hour per level so he could reasonable learn it twice). For that matter he could take the whole party that way. It is unlikely that he would have the spell memorized however, and he would still need to stop for sleep.

But here is what I think will happen...

Durkon stays behind. Durkon can help his bff Malack search for Nale and spend the night, then praying for Wind Walk. V is likely to show up tomorrow at the latest. They meet up after a Sending or two. and Wind Walk to catch up with Belkar, Elan, and Roy. This puts the entire party back together on the way to Draketooth in probably two episodes.

rbetieh
2011-12-03, 09:50 AM
So you have two things inaccurate.

1. As you even linked, a carpet of flying doesn't have any restriction on how many people are on it. The restrictions are purely weight based. And D&D allows for friendly characters to be in the same 5ft square - logical and common sense aside. I have no doubt Rich researched this before introducing the carpet.

2. The carpet will be flying *non-stop* for ~2880 minutes. Air walk has a 10 min/level duration and duration aside, it requires the caster to move - and the rules forbid a forced march for that long.

Wind Walk fixes some of those problems (1/hour per level so he could reasonable learn it twice). For that matter he could take the whole party that way. It is unlikely that he would have the spell memorized however, and he would still need to stop for sleep.

But here is what I think will happen...

Durkon stays behind. Durkon can help his bff Malack search for Nale and spend the night, then praying for Wind Walk. V is likely to show up tomorrow at the latest. They meet up after a Sending or two. and Wind Walk to catch up with Belkar, Elan, and Roy. This puts the entire party back together on the way to Draketooth in probably two episodes.

Oh come on, cant we have another scene like the invisibility sphere incident?

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-03, 10:25 AM

You're right, panel 2 is highly suspicious. When someone like Tarquin looks sanctimonious and earnest, look out! :smalleek:

ferrodoxin
2011-12-03, 02:35 PM
"Note to self, elf cannot cast teleport"

Someone who takes notes about his son's companions spell list....

Doesn't sound like someone who would just guess that someone is on a world conquest mission and ask no more questions about that.
I have feeling Tarquin knows about the gates.

And I am almost sure that he knew Roy & Belker were with Elan when he proposed to send them along as a bodyguard.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-12-03, 02:55 PM

Um, isn't that a silly statement? He's LE? Wouldn't being up to no good mean he's become less evil? I think he's down to Cesare Borgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Borgia) level of intricate schemes (Which means he's even further down then Machiavellian, since Machiavelli aspired to be like Borgia, and wrote about Borgia in 'The Prince'. If you want an example of Borgia's scheming: He became Leonardo Di Vinci's patron so he could influence Di Vinci to depict Jesus Christ looking like Borgia, so the world would think of Borgia's face when they thought of Christ... and it worked)

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-03, 03:04 PM
Um, isn't that a silly statement? He's LE? Wouldn't being up to no good mean he's become less evil?

Do you know what "up to no good" means, just out of curiosity?

Kgw
2011-12-03, 03:46 PM
I doubt it's a direct reference.

The notion that red color in a vehicle goes with speed is much older than Warhammer.

Actually, they do that joke even in Japan. Red-customized anything is at least three times faster than the normal version*

* from Gundam's Char Aznable, if you wonder why:smalltongue:

Darksaber
2011-12-03, 05:15 PM
For some reason I've been thinking Tarquin sounds a bit like Leslie Nielson. Now I know why.

Nightfall
2011-12-03, 05:49 PM
That carpet had better be a TARDIS carpet. It looks like a two-seater, not a mini-van. How is it going to hold everyone?:smallconfused:

Forikroder
2011-12-03, 06:10 PM
"the guards might have assumed he got lucky" is a far cry from your original argument that there's no possible way that Tarquin could have had any reason to have investigated Roy unless he investigates all his prisoners. And this is already based on the dubious assumption that an excessively lawful empire didn't do a basic investigation of a crime.

the two arguments are completely unrelated and i see no reason why you are trying to connect them

Tarquin does have no reason to look into roys past since its impossible for him to learn anything of actual importance

my talk about his fighting enor was completely unrelated and in response to what a different poster said

Snurk
2011-12-03, 10:53 PM
Then that flight had better take less than 10 minutes, or she'd better have a Bottle of Air in there.

Anyway, about the Carpet of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying); even if they bring V back, he and Blackwing can fly on their own, so we still only have to worry about the other 6 (5 if Belkar carries Scruffy). a 10x10 carpet can carry all of them easily; a 5x10 carpet (which this one looks to be) can carry 4 of them (double its capacity of 2) which leaves one person to worry about.

If the winds aren't particularly strong, Durkon can forego the carpet and Air Walk; he'll be less susceptible to the breeze this way than he would if trying to Wind Walk as he won't be made of gas.

If Scruffy counts towards the carpet's capacity even when carried, Durkon can carry him instead.

Well since Ultima 7 it's widely known that piling people on a carpet can be one hell of a job to be done right :smallcool:

ShikomeKidoMi
2011-12-03, 11:22 PM
Actually, they do that joke even in Japan. Red-customized anything is at least three times faster than the normal version*

* from Gundam's Char Aznable, if you wonder why:smalltongue:

That's where it started, yes. Char had a mecha that was rumored to be customized to be faster than the others and all it was was painted red (well more like pink). I'm pretty sure Warhammer 40K is making a Gundam reference, though I could be wrong.

The Troubadour
2011-12-03, 11:25 PM
Sorry, Elan, but you've been ousted. Tarquin is officially my favourite OotS character now. :-)

ShikomeKidoMi
2011-12-03, 11:25 PM
the two arguments are completely unrelated and i see no reason why you are trying to connect them

Tarquin does have no reason to look into roys past since its impossible for him to learn anything of actual importance

my talk about his fighting enor was completely unrelated and in response to what a different poster said

He is attempting to say that Tarquin does have reason to look into Roy's past, because Roy is an exceptional individual who has grabbed his attention and he is considering giving him important work. Further, he is positing that thanks to the paper-work happy nature of the Empire of Blood, it is not impossible that Tarquin knows several important things about Roy's past, like he was arrested for having no papers (implying he arrived recently) after a bar dispute with the bounty hunters who brought in Elan (who Tarquin has met personally and knows about).

Shoelessgdowar
2011-12-03, 11:27 PM
Do you know what "up to no good" means, just out of curiosity?

Yes, I do know what it means, but I also think it is a silly turn of phrase when one is speaking of someone evil. Up to no good tends to imply minor mischief, or general malicious tendencies. And since forums tend to lack inflection, it can be read to sound differently then it really means. In D&D terms up to no good could just be True Neutral :) while down to all legal ways of doing evil would definitely mean Lawful Evil. It is like going up or down a level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html) after beating some Goblins :) The meaning of the phrase is really dependent on the speaker and the listener :)

jere7my
2011-12-04, 01:21 AM
That's where it started, yes. Char had a mecha that was rumored to be customized to be faster than the others and all it was was painted red (well more like pink). I'm pretty sure Warhammer 40K is making a Gundam reference, though I could be wrong.

It's much older than that. It's an American automotive thing.

Tobimaro
2011-12-04, 02:30 AM
And, once again, Belkar steals the scene. Check panel #11. :smallwink:

mrmcfatty
2011-12-04, 08:44 AM
"Note to self, elf cannot cast teleport"

Someone who takes notes about his son's companions spell list....

Doesn't sound like someone who would just guess that someone is on a world conquest mission and ask no more questions about that.
I have feeling Tarquin knows about the gates.

And I am almost sure that he knew Roy & Belker were with Elan when he proposed to send them along as a bodyguard.

This is one of the reasons why i suspect Tarquin knows Roy and Elan are together. In his mind he could be thinking something like "they want to play as if they dont know each other, ill play along with this...for now."

there are a number of reasons he could be doing this. Why would his son be trying to trick HIM, when all he has done is help(although in a more evil way than Elan would like.) By playing along he may find out more than they would give out if he knew they were together.

He may assume that Elan wont, but i do not doubt that he isnt prepared for something like the order coming and trying to stop him. Roy as Tarquins "employee" may gain something to get an upper hand, but T gave Roy false knowledge in order to get an even better position over things.

Even though that may not happen i would not put it past him for a second to prepare for it just in case, sort of like being prepared for a pun duel.

Gusion
2011-12-04, 10:23 AM
This is one of the reasons why i suspect Tarquin knows Roy and Elan are together. In his mind he could be thinking something like "they want to play as if they dont know each other, ill play along with this...for now."

there are a number of reasons he could be doing this. Why would his son be trying to trick HIM, when all he has done is help(although in a more evil way than Elan would like.) By playing along he may find out more than they would give out if he knew they were together.

He may assume that Elan wont, but i do not doubt that he isnt prepared for something like the order coming and trying to stop him. Roy as Tarquins "employee" may gain something to get an upper hand, but T gave Roy false knowledge in order to get an even better position over things.

Even though that may not happen i would not put it past him for a second to prepare for it just in case, sort of like being prepared for a pun duel.

Remember, historically evil hates evil as well. There are reasons devils and demons are always killing each other (which is what makes the IFCC funny.)

And, people need to re-read 762 & 763. It explains my good friend Tarquin's motives very clearly.

Does he know they know each other? Of course he does. And he'll play their game because it makes Elan feel better. It doesn't affect him personally, so why not.

I really love Tarquin's character and plan to model my next D&D character after him.

Procyonpi
2011-12-04, 11:17 AM

How do those two arguments have nothing to do with each other? They're part of the same quote chain. The Enor fight argument was about whether the EoB would have any reason to know that Roy was relatively high level and therefore give Tarquin reason to look into his file more closely.

mistformsquirrl
2011-12-04, 03:19 PM
Catgirl stealing a flying carpet while it's in use = win. >_> That panel cracked me up. (The whole thing was good but that bit was just awesome imo <_<)

hamishspence
2011-12-04, 04:56 PM
I thought that bit was especially good as well.

Forikroder
2011-12-04, 05:10 PM
He is attempting to say that Tarquin does have reason to look into Roy's past, because Roy is an exceptional individual who has grabbed his attention and he is considering giving him important work. Further, he is positing that thanks to the paper-work happy nature of the Empire of Blood, it is not impossible that Tarquin knows several important things about Roy's past, like he was arrested for having no papers (implying he arrived recently) after a bar dispute with the bounty hunters who brought in Elan (who Tarquin has met personally and knows about).

okay tarquin learned that roy is a powerful fighter (damn thats a newsflash huh?) and jsut so happened to be in a bar when a fight broke out and didnt excape in time

thats all he learned

Ganji never stated what bounty the retribution was for, for all anyone knows it was some long ago bounty that roy had been tracking him to get revenge for

How do those two arguments have nothing to do with each other? They're part of the same quote chain. The Enor fight argument was about whether the EoB would have any reason to know that Roy was relatively high level and therefore give Tarquin reason to look into his file more closely.
roy had already been tagged as the strongest fighter in the prison (stronger then the half dragon) before tarquin ever talked to him so him being high level ahs been general knowledge since belkar blew his cover

snikrept
2011-12-04, 05:24 PM
Roy missed his opportunity to say "I accept employment, now pay me up front for this Elan-protection job" :D Roy's already fibbing to Tarquin about who he is and all, I can't imagine that Roy would be too worried about fibbing to Tarquin regarding whether he has any plans to continue working for him after the "Elan" job.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-12-04, 06:43 PM
This is kind of like those long, rambling posts where you try to prove that the Oracle is a fraud, isn't it? :smallannoyed:

No, I was just trying to make a joke, and point out the silliness of saying a Villain is up to no good.

I just happened to also point out the statement "Up to no good" is also somewhat outdated and can be misread to be a measure of degree of good/evil instead of merely a statement of suspicious activity.

PS: I need to prove nothing, he is a fraud, and he has fooled you all, he's like Bernie Madoff, only still not caught.

Jay R
2011-12-04, 08:40 PM
I will never assume that Tarquin doesn't know some fact, even if we haven't seen him discovering it, if knowing it might be useful to him for his clever evil-doing.

I will never assume that any character knows some fact, unless we've seen him discovering it, if not knowing it might be useful to Rich for some funny joke or plot direction.

Conclusion: we do not know if Tarquin knows that Roy and Elan are in the same party.

valce
2011-12-04, 09:06 PM
Ooo boy, I hope there's a carpet chase. Because obviously someone as savvy as Tarquin wouldn't give someone the fastest carpet in the kingdom, he'd give them the second fastest carpet in the kingdom.

brionl
2011-12-05, 12:33 AM
It's much older than that. It's an American automotive thing.

They've had it ever since cars started coming in other colors than black.