PDA

View Full Version : a cleric and her feats

leegi0n
2011-12-01, 10:17 PM
could you playgrounders give me some feat suggestions/progression for a drow cleric. Lvl 9, please?

She will be an NPC and I would like a decent blend of heal/buff with offense.

thanks in advance.

Snowbluff
2011-12-01, 10:24 PM
Extend/Persist/DMM

More seriously, I like to take... okay, I got nothing. Cleric is pretty feat independent, imho. Maybe take feats to meet PrC prereqs? Or maybe Planar Touchstone for another domain, Travel Devotion (really generic), Knowledge Devotion (also really generic). Maybe extra turning to power your devotions.

gbprime
2011-12-01, 10:25 PM
how optimized to you want to get? are you on the level of taking a reserve feat like Fiery blast to dish out 5d6 every round? or are you looking at the divine metamagic persist end of the scale?

Aasimar
2011-12-01, 10:39 PM
Item creation feats are always nice.

Metamagic feats work for a cleric don't they?

Spell focus? Spell Penetration?

FearlessGnome
2011-12-01, 10:46 PM
Step 1: Be a cleric of Vecna.
Step 2: Take the feat Whispered Secrets.
Step 3: Be able to cast Glibness at level 5, the earliest of any caster in D&D.
Step 4: Behave as would be expected of a dutiful worshiper of the evil god of secrets.

Also, Vecna is just great for flavor.

imneuromancer
2011-12-02, 12:16 PM
Extend/Persist/DMM

More seriously, I like to take... okay, I got nothing. Cleric is pretty feat independent, imho. Maybe take feats to meet PrC prereqs? Or maybe Planar Touchstone for another domain, Travel Devotion (really generic), Knowledge Devotion (also really generic). Maybe extra turning to power your devotions.

Let me extend that advice, as you have feats (at level 9 depends on if you can take flaws and such):
extend spell/persist spell/DMM:Persist/extra turning/Divine Spellpower/extra turning (as appropriate feat slots)

Use persist spell to persist a spell. Use Divine Spellpower + phylactery of undead turning to make your caster level up to +8 levels above current caster level.

Trick: If you can consistently be in a place at the beginning of the day where there is a consecrated altar to your deity, you get +6 to your turn undead checks. Along with all of your other bonuses, you almost guarantee a +4 to the level check for the Divine Spellpower roll, which makes your persisted spell that much tougher (depending on spell) and that much harder to dispel by enemies.

Items to get (other than the standard plusses to stats and protection):
* Phylactery of undead turning
* nightsticks (try to get one, ask GM to allow if they cannot stack just to be a Good Guy Gamer)
* Other "plus to charisma check" items like circlet of persuasion.

Geigan
2011-12-02, 01:51 PM
If going the DMM route, then after that extra turning ad infinitum. Other divine feats can be good too. My favorite other than DMM has to be Divine Defiance(fiendish codex 2), which allows you to attempt a counterspell as an immediate action for a single turning attempt. Quite useful with some minor investment in dispel checks.

tyckspoon
2011-12-02, 02:33 PM
Let me extend that advice, as you have feats (at level 9 depends on if you can take flaws and such):
extend spell/persist spell/DMM:Persist/extra turning/Divine Spellpower/extra turning (as appropriate feat slots)

Use persist spell to persist a spell. Use Divine Spellpower + phylactery of undead turning to make your caster level up to +8 levels above current caster level.

Two problems, one that is merely practical and the other that makes it not work:
The practical problem is the burden this puts on your Turn Undead supply. May or may not be a problem depending on how many Persists you're going for; if you just have one or two, you can use those leftover 2-4 TUs you probably have for Divine Spell Power. If you have exactly enough TU to persist a spell and not have any attempts left, however, you're going to do that instead.

The thing that makes it not work is that you explicitly cannot use more than one Divine feat each round. Divine Spell Power is still a good feat, but you can't combine it with Divine Metamagic (also the Phylactery doesn't interact with DSP that way.)

imneuromancer
2011-12-02, 02:57 PM
Two problems, one that is merely practical and the other that makes it not work:
The practical problem is the burden this puts on your Turn Undead supply. May or may not be a problem depending on how many Persists you're going for; if you just have one or two, you can use those leftover 2-4 TUs you probably have for Divine Spell Power. If you have exactly enough TU to persist a spell and not have any attempts left, however, you're going to do that instead.

The thing that makes it not work is that you explicitly cannot use more than one Divine feat each round. Divine Spell Power is still a good feat, but you can't combine it with Divine Metamagic (also the Phylactery doesn't interact with DSP that way.)

Agreed on the practical issue: turn attempts become VERY scarce

On more than one Divine feat per round: huh, that WOULD limit it, didn't notice that limitation.

On the Phylactery: Why not? Based on the description of the item and the description of Divine Spellpower (IIRC), there is no reason why it doesn't stack.

kardar233
2011-12-02, 03:27 PM
If it's an NPC Cleric, consider getting DMM:Chain as well, to buff the whole party.