PDA

View Full Version : Epic spellcasting DC for unlisted things

Devronq
2011-12-02, 12:32 AM
So im making an epic spell right now and i wanna put a few things into the spell that doesnt seem to be listed. If there are no rules for this please just let me know your opinion but how much should i increase the spellcraft DC for the following things

1. Immune to ability drain spells of 8th level and lower.
2. Immune to level drain spells of 8th level and lower.
3. Cant be dispelled by spells of 8th level and lower.

Calanon
2011-12-02, 03:30 AM
So im making an epic spell right now and i wanna put a few things into the spell that doesnt seem to be listed. If there are no rules for this please just let me know your opinion but how much should i increase the spellcraft DC for the following things

1. Immune to ability drain spells of 8th level and lower.
2. Immune to level drain spells of 8th level and lower.
3. Cant be dispelled by spells of 8th level and lower.

It would help more knowing what your looking for then we might be able to help a little more :smallsmile: Tell us what seeds you want to use for your Epic spell

I believe the term your looking for is "Adhoc" which is pretty much the maker of the Epic spell saying "I hope the DM accepts it" Most epic spells are better off without even including them (Besides most spell effects can be replicated with the Mythal seed) Except for the spell that I'm looking for, Ioulaum's Imbune Mythallar

EDIT: Ward Seed to negate every Negative level spell and Dispeling spells you can think of (its a +2 to the DC so meh)

Douglas
2011-12-02, 10:03 AM
The Ward seed has factors for blocking either specific spells or all spells of X level or lower, but not for blocking categories of spells.

In my opinion, the DC for blocking a category should be some fraction of the DC for blocking all spells, but not too small a fraction - blocking categories is better in that it doesn't make you immune to buffs, throwing the good out with the bad. There's also the fact that different categories are of highly varying threat, so ideally each one should be evaluated individually.

In this case, there are actually non-epic spells that do more than what you want that we can base things on. Sheltered Vitality (Spell Compendium or Libris Mortis) grants immunity to ALL ability drain - and ability damage - from any source, including 9th level spells and non-spell sources. Death Ward grants immunity to level drain from ALL sources, 9th level spells and non-spells included.

I don't remember exactly where it was written, but WotC set base spellcraft DCs for the seeds by choosing a "representative" non-epic spell, copying that spell's effect for the base effect of the seed, and setting the base DC at 10 plus the maximum spellcraft ranks of a Sorcerer of the minimum level required to cast spells of the representative spell's level. Death Ward is level 4, Sorcerers get level 4 spells at level 8, and a level 8 Sorcerer has a maximum of 11 ranks in spellcraft, so a custom seed to duplicate Death Ward should have a DC of 21. Sheltered Vitality is also level 4, so duplicating it would be another DC 21. Both spells only last a minute/level, though, so you'll probably want to apply some hefty duration boosting factors. Then again, I checked a few existing seeds at random and they seem to ignore the base spell's duration in favor of just putting something really long in.

No such convenient non-epic spell exists for dispel protection, unfortunately. You'll have to really ad-hoc that one, or put in a Ward vs every single individual specific dispel you can find.