PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario 3D Land

Lord Seth
2011-12-02, 01:37 AM
Now that the game's been out for a while (and probably the first notable game on the 3DS that wasn't a remake), has anyone else gotten it? I've thought it was fairly enjoyable for the most part. It feels like a combination of Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64.

I think my biggest issue with it is that as it goes on, there are too many levels with lots of bottomless/lava pits. Super Mario 64 really only had one level of this type (Rainbow Ride), but it seems almost all of the later levels are of this variety in the game.

Mando Knight
2011-12-02, 02:54 AM
Back in the day, if you had platforms to stand on in the last levels you were grateful, by gum...

...Actually, that day was before I started, but seriously.

My only complaint with the game so far is that I do not have the money required to get it.

Lord Seth
2011-12-02, 03:10 AM
Back in the day, if you had platforms to stand on in the last levels you were grateful, by gum...

...Actually, that day was before I started, but seriously.The issue is that due to the game being in 3D, it makes the jumps harder than if it was in 2D. It wouldn't be such a problem if it were a more occasional thing (again, Super Mario 64 only had one level that was entirely of this type), but it's all over the place in the later levels. And I'm not talking about the occasional bottomless pit either, I mean that the whole screen pretty much is that and you just have a few platforms to run and jump around on.

tonberrian
2011-12-02, 12:19 PM
It's not fair to compare just one of Super Mario 64's worlds to levels of 3D Land. It's better to compare stars to 3D Land's levels, and there are more than a few stars in 64 that are over huge bottomless pits - the slides, parts of Whomp's Fortress, Cool Cool Mountain, all the Bowser levels, the Flying Cap world, the Invisibility Cap world, Tiny-Huge Island, and Tick Tock Clock. Not to mention that both Lethal Lava Land and Shifting Sand Land have places that are immediately lethal as well.

Moreover, 3D Land seems to follow Galaxy's philosophy of giving extra lives out like candy and making the stages more lethal.

Mando Knight
2011-12-02, 12:23 PM
Not to mention that both Lethal Lava Land and Shifting Sand Land have places that are immediately lethal as well.
Lethal Lava Land's lava wasn't actually immediately lethal. Just burned off 3 health (of 8, for those who don't remember) every time you tried to take a dip.

Moreover, 3D Land seems to follow Galaxy's philosophy of giving extra lives out like candy and making the stages more lethal.
Oh, yeah. Galaxy. Find me a level that isn't 70% death trap by volume.

tonberrian
2011-12-02, 12:49 PM
There are spots that you can fall into in Lethal Lava Land that 2 burning jumps are not enough to get away from the lava. I know, I've done it.

Deth Muncher
2011-12-02, 01:37 PM
Oh, yeah. Galaxy. Find me a level that isn't 70% death trap by volume.

I lol'd, but only because it's totally true.