PDA

View Full Version : Tarquin's Team

Dragonglove
2011-12-02, 03:29 AM
What all do we know about Tarquin's Team? As far as I can tell, we know the name's of three members, and we don't even know if they have a name for their group.

Team in Marching Order (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html)
Tarquin named (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0723.html)
Malack named (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0718.html)
Miron named (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html) (referencing author of ransom note (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html))

Are there any references to the group that I'm missing? Maybe where they adventured or what their classes are?

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-02, 06:10 AM
I don't think you've missed any references, and in particular, I don't think anyone else is named anywhere.

Jaros
2011-12-02, 06:13 AM
I know that 'Imperial Guild' didn't catch on as their nickname, and for that I am sad :(

bertoltus
2011-12-02, 10:24 AM
From the first link, that shows the whole party, I would guess their classes (from left to right) to be fighter, cleric, ranger, rogue, mage. It's what would fit best with their outer looks.

mrmcfatty
2011-12-02, 10:28 AM
a great deal of this is speculation and just guessing on my part, but hey what the heck.

I checked the geekery thread and they dont have a class for Tarquin, but i assume him to be something non-core because he seems to have high cha and int, but he seems to have some kind of bardic knowledge when it comes to tropes and the like. someone brought up he might be a 4e warlord so you never know, but i doubt that.

We already know to some degree about Malack: cleric, death god, i believe above level 13 im sure some one else can find what level he is assumed minimum.

Miron always has his face covered, while i assume that means nothing he might be a rogue or something similar, maybe a ranger?. We know that he was dealing with the ransoms at least at one point so he may have been a bookkeeper of sorts for a time(similar to how haley knows how much gold she has)

now onto the 3 who are not named.

the guy in the back appears to be a fighter of some sort, and if this was marching order that would make some sense. from the way he talks to the weeping king I would say he is not a barbarian (which for some reason he just "feels" like he is one to me, crossclass? doubtful though) and must have at least an average int score.

The one girl we can assume is a spellcaster due to the ioun stones that surround her. Since it appears she is the one convincing the queen of sweat her cha is most likely above average. there is not much else that can be said about her at this time

The last member is the feline woman in his group. based on the latest strip she may be the rogue in the group since we havent seen her do anything else that may point us as to her "position" in the party.

This is everything that, to my knowledge, we know about them and my opinions/thoughts about them.

Morty
2011-12-02, 12:18 PM
Personally, I would not be surprised if Giant didn't have classes, or any sort of mechanics for that matter, in mind for Tarquin and his team - apart from Malack of course. It hasn't really mattered so far.

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-02, 12:20 PM
Miron is probably either a wizard or sorcerer, going by his robes and using a rod/wand to slowly freeze one of Tarquin's brides.

I'm betting on Tarquin being a fighter, possibly with a dip in rogue. Elan has the same class as his mother, so it would make sense for the same to apply to Nale.

And in my head I've been calling them the Vector Guild. :smalltongue:

Draken
2011-12-02, 01:21 PM
Miron is holding a wand with a blue glow in comic 757, "Something Blue" next to tarquin and a woman with her feet frozen. I believe he is the wizard of the party (also, robe). Catfolk girl has the trappings usual of female rogues (Sabine, Haley), and the other woman... Robes and ioun stones, hard to say, probably another spellcaster. Floating head things usually indicate psion, I think.

Deepbluediver
2011-12-02, 01:37 PM
In all the pictures where tarquin's group is split up, they seem to have one caster-ish looking person with a non-caster; i.e. muscle and magic in each pair. So I think we can probably base out ideas around that kind of mechanic.

My big question though: why are we confining our guesstimates to mostly pure versions of the core classes?
Given Tarquin's overall intelligence and genre-savyness, I don't think its out of the question for he and his team (or at least some of them) to be using some unusual prestige classes with unique abilities, racial-templates, or just odd combinations like Nale, only much more effective.
Tarquin himself "knows how to defeand against many unique combat styles"; and if he managed to get far enough down the list of likely attacks to include pun-dueling, that seems like it would be take a fair number of feats... or just a few special abilites. Tarquin seems like the kind of guy who could take 1 or 2 levels in a dozen different classes and make it work.

Another example; I've never played a campaign with psionics before, but it seems like the kind of thing that would come in handy when working behind the scenes to control a kingdom, and Redclock did confirm they where using it in this setting way back when he was trying to extract information from O-Chul.

dps
2011-12-02, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I was guessing psion for the chick with orbs or dots or whatever they are around her head.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-02, 08:55 PM
Most ioun stones can be used by anybody.

suszterpatt
2011-12-02, 10:22 PM
Somewhat relevant thread from ages ago: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176164

Jaros
2011-12-03, 05:37 AM
And in my head I've been calling them the Vector Guild. :smalltongue:

Interesting, why Vector Guild?

BlackestOfMages
2011-12-03, 06:44 AM
Interesting, why Vector Guild?

I'm assuming that link but major difference to linear :smallsmile:

or the OP might just like the word :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-03, 10:31 AM
Order of the Stick, Linear Guild, Order of the Scribble--all reference the art style. OOTS is made with a vector-based graphics program, ergo... :smallamused:

Raistlin82
2011-12-03, 11:54 AM
Man, I'm a sucker for well built groups.
First the Scribble, now this. I love when minor characters are clearly well defined already, but let through only tiny details. That's what I do all the time when I'm a DM.

Anyway, from the line up in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html), panel 7, I'd say...

Fighter (quite straightforward)
Cleric (ok, this one is confirmed)
Rogue (in strip #817 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0817.html) she shows what she's capable of...)
Wizard (Necromancer?)
Psion (or another caster)

Fighter? (Tarquin is quite hard to place... it's true that he looks like a 4E Warlord more than anything else... maybe he multi-classed, or maybe he just has high INT and a lot of skill points)

Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer :smalltongue:

Jaros
2011-12-03, 03:01 PM
Order of the Stick, Linear Guild, Order of the Scribble--all reference the art style. OOTS is made with a vector-based graphics program, ergo... :smallamused:

Oh I do like that one, yes sir.

Although I still like Imperial Guild for being somewhat of a contradiction in terms.

GreenSerpent
2011-12-04, 05:01 AM
Well. Let's see.
From the team we know:

Far Left: Almost certainly a fighter, or possibly a hexblade. Some sort of primarily physical-focused class. Probably has fairly decent INT from the way he talks to the king.

Malack: Cleric of Nergal, at least 13th level and probably higher. Race is tricky - either Lizardfolk, or due to the problems with us telling if he has legs possibly Yuan-Ti Abomination. I personally lean towards Yuan-Ti Abomination myself.

Middle: Catfolk (almost certainly), probably Rogue from her attire and the whole "taking the magic carpet" thing.

Miron: Seen using a wand, I'm personally going to lean towards Wizard here. Possibly Beguiler.

Far Right: Seen convincing the Queen of the Empire of Sweat, so I'm going to guess she has a farly high CHA. Possibly Sorceror - she doesn't seem to have the tattoos that seem to be a characteristic of Psions (see On the Origin of PCs and that strip with "The Little Psion That Could")

Tarquin: Unknown. He seems to have reasonable stats in pretty much everything - smart enough and so on. He also thinks "bards are underpowered" - I'm going to guess he's a fighter who's gone into a number of obscure prestige classes. Pure speculation on my part.

(On a side note - the purple tattoos - Girard and all the psions shown, apart from the goblin psion who's purple have the purple tattoos)

To be honest, we won't know until some more proof is shown.