PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Oh god help me, I need to sleep.

Dragon Star
2011-12-02, 05:38 AM
I have to make a 5th level cleric for a Pathfinder game tomorrow. I won't have time tomorrow, as I get up, go to school, and then straight to the game. Normally this wouldn't be a problem. I can make a good character fast and I consider it fun, but at the time of this post it is 12:30 am here, and a school night. I had homework, then forgot about this entirely, and now it's much too late. I would be exceptionally happy if some kind soul could make and then get to me a cleric of the desired level. Maybe through mythweavers or the like. I wouldn't usually ask this kind of thing, actually this is pretty embarrassing, but I'm coming into the game in the second session, and the other players were complaining about how they wasted most of the time making characters, so I don't think I should make one then. I feel really bad using these wonderful forums as free labor, but I have nowhere else to turn. Please, Giant in the Playground, you're my only hope!

Ceaon
2011-12-02, 05:51 AM
You should provide more info. Starting stats, starting gold, what you want your character to do, your preferred race, optimization level of the other partymembers and allowed sources. Or else nobody will be able to truly help you.

CTrees
2011-12-02, 08:36 AM
Prior to getting more information, since you're playing at level five, I'll just suggest preparing Spark and taking Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat). Ta-da, no one in the party ever need be at less than full health at the start of a fight, ever*.

*In cases like a desert, where the DM may decide there are no appropriate, flammable objects other than party equipment, remember that there is not a size category smaller than fine, so a beetle may be fine, but a single grain of rice is, too. Dry rice, while possibly difficult to ignite, is flammable. Quick googling shows a single pound of short grain rice has on the order of 100,000 grains. That's a lot of healing, even at 1/2level HP each. This is purely a suggestion for if your DM is being a pain.

Psyren
2011-12-02, 09:45 AM
Prior to getting more information, since you're playing at level five, I'll just suggest preparing Spark and taking Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat). Ta-da, no one in the party ever need be at less than full health at the start of a fight, ever*.

There was errata for Glorious Heat (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/resources) that stops this loop; it's for PFS but still official and many DMs will likely want to use it.

Barstro
2011-12-02, 09:46 AM

*In cases like a desert, where the DM may decide there are no appropriate, flammable objects other than party equipment, remember that there is not a size category smaller than fine, so a beetle may be fine, but a single grain of rice is, too. Dry rice, while possibly difficult to ignite, is flammable. Quick googling shows a single pound of short grain rice has on the order of 100,000 grains. That's a lot of healing, even at 1/2level HP each. This is purely a suggestion for if your DM is being a pain.

Argument a DM should make; Spark is an Orison, not a spell.

Your argument; "...these spells are treated like any other spell,..."

EDIT; The above post is better. :smallsmile:

CTrees
2011-12-02, 01:05 PM
There was errata for Glorious Heat (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/resources) that stops this loop; it's for PFS but still official and many DMs will likely want to use it.

:smallannoyed:

They issue errata for that, but not Blood Crow Strike?

Really?

:smallconfused:

I mean, I hate most errata for P'n'P RPGs anyway (for anything that's not a typo or obviously broken, which I don't think Glorious Heat is - also, this is the biggest reason I don't want to play 4e), but... really, Paizo? You alter something inoffensive in order to make it far worse, but don't fix one of the most confusing and outright broken spells you've ever printed?

*sigh*

Psyren
2011-12-02, 02:03 PM
Unlimited healing, if it should be possible at all, should cost more than a single feat to get.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-02, 02:10 PM
@CTrees:
Eh, I would just stock up on dried dung or some torches. No need to abuse size granularity when you can just douse the flame, say with a bag of sand, and repeat.
Even 2 HP around is 20 HP a minute, which is 1200 HP an hour at level five, more than enough to heal the party.

ericgrau
2011-12-02, 02:24 PM
What point buy are you using?

Psyren
2011-12-02, 02:25 PM
@CTrees:
Eh, I would just stock up on dried dung or some torches. No need to abuse size granularity when you can just douse the flame, say with a bag of sand, and repeat.
Even 2 HP around is 20 HP a minute, which is 1200 HP an hour at level five, more than enough to heal the party.

Glorious Heat doesn't trigger off fire damage; it only triggers off divine spells with the [Fire] descriptor. Torches won't do anything.

@ OP: Please follow Ceaon's advice, we need more information.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-02, 02:44 PM
Glorious Heat doesn't trigger off fire damage; it only triggers off divine spells with the [Fire] descriptor. Torches won't do anything.

Lighting the torch with spark will. One may might argue a torch isn't fine, but a collection of Fine pieces of cotton, chips of dung, twigs, et cetera, will also suffice.

Psyren
2011-12-02, 03:31 PM
Lighting the torch with spark will. One may might argue a torch isn't fine, but a collection of Fine pieces of cotton, chips of dung, twigs, et cetera, will also suffice.

That's why it was errata'd to be "healing = spell level" instead of "healing = 1/2 HD". Spark has a spell level of 0.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-02, 04:02 PM
That's why it was errata'd to be "healing = spell level" instead of "healing = 1/2 HD". Spark has a spell level of 0.
It ain't been errated yet for the main game, only in Pathfinder Society.
Lots of things are banned there that are allowed elsewhere, though it's probably only a matter of time.
CTrees
I still wonder why you feel Blood Crow Strike is broken? Can it be used to deliver melee touch attack spells at range?

Psyren
2011-12-02, 04:05 PM
It ain't been errated yet for the main game, only in Pathfinder Society.
Lots of things are banned there that are allowed elsewhere, though it's probably only a matter of time.

Indeed, individual DMs can allow whatever they want, it's their table :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-12-02, 04:11 PM
Indeed, individual DMs can allow whatever they want, it's their table :smallsmile:
True, but not what I am talking about. Pathfinder Society is like Living Greyhawk and similar ideas. It has a separate errata list compared to the main game. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/resources)

ericgrau
2011-12-02, 04:11 PM
Since you're in a rush you get whatever cleric anybody makes. Here's one quick cleric, print it out (e.g., copy paste into Word), copy it down onto a character sheet yourself. It's a well rounded cleric with a minor focus on channel energy.

Human Cleric 5:

15 Point Buy:
Str 12 (2 points)
Con 14 (5 points)
Dex 10 (0 points)
Int 8 (-2 points)
Wis 17 (5 points, includes human +2 and a +1 at level 4)
Cha 14 (5 points)
20 point buy: wis 18, str 14

HP: 4d8+28
base saves: fort 4 / ref 1 / will 4 (not including ability modifiers)
BAB: 3
Speed: 40' (30' in armor)

Domains: Sun, Travel

Important Special Abilities:
Channel Energy 3d6 (3d6+level vs. undead) 20'R, 5/day, bypasses channel resistance, exclude up to 2 targets
Agile Feet 6/day [7/day at wis 18], as a free action ignore difficult terrain for 1 round

Feats: Selective Channeling, Combat Casting, Toughness, Heavy Armor Proficiency

Skills: 3 ranks knowledge(religion), max perception (not a class skill), 1 rank sense motive, 1 rank diplomacy,
Spells Per Day: 4, 3+1, 2+1, 1+1
Bonus Spells: -, 1, 1, 1
Typical Spells Prepared:
0: detect magic, guidance, light, stabilize
1: bless, obscuring mist, protection from evil, hide from undead, (D) longstrider
2: bull's strength, spiritual weapon, grace (APG), (D) heat metal
3: prayer, inflict serious wounds, (D) fly

Equipment (10,500 gp, 77 lbs., 86 lbs = medium load limit):
wand of cure light wounds (750 gp)
masterwork heavy mace 1d8 (312 gp)
light crossbow + 20 bolts (37 gp, 1d8, range 80')
full plate +1 (2650 gp, 9+1 AC, +1 max dex, -5 ACP)
heavy steel shield +1 (1170 gp, 2+1 AC, -1 ACP)
lesser rod of extend spell (3000 gp)
Handy haversack (2000 gp)
waterskin
bedroll
flint & steel
1 pint lantern oil
10 trail rations
~300 gp spending cash

Scrolls (175 gp in party of 4): 1x protection from evil, 1x remove fear, 1x comprehend languages, 1x magic weapon, (party members)x endure elements

General strategy: Cast or channel, leaving melee as a distant 3rd option. Prayer is a good opener after foes arrive, or bless if there's a 2nd fight. Use the rod of extend spell on buffs or to change 5 round durations into 10 rounds. Avoid buffs after the fight begins if possible. Use your wand or leftover channels & spells (if you feel safe) to heal between fights.

Brennan1214
2011-12-02, 04:31 PM
You probably got the cleric I sent, but I saw the other post and it's probably better. Just trying to help. EDIT: I only saw the other post after the message I sent, and just for formality... Ninja'd.