PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] shrink item and entangle

imneuromancer
2011-12-02, 12:45 PM
OK, here's a spell combo for ya:

* Wizard casts Shrink Object on a 10' radius piece of sod (made calculations based on volume of Shrink Item, about 3" of sod, caster level of about 5-6, etc)
* Area of sod now a piece of cloth.
* In combat underground (i.e. no other plants), wizard (or someone else) throws Shrunk Item (sod) into area with enemies
* wizard says command work, sod carpet now expands out to 10' radius.
* Druid casts entangle.

How would you adjudicate what happens in that situation? Does the sod go under the feet of those in the 10' radius? Does it go over them? Can the entangle now entangle everything in the 10' radius? Now that there are plants, can it extend PAST the 10' radius? If so, how far?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-02, 01:06 PM
The sod wouldn't appear under others feat it would appear exactly as it did when you shrunk it assuming no body is in the way.

As for the limitations on Entangle I see it being ruled 3 ways:

1. No, Entangle fails.

2. Entangle works but only as far as the introduced sod spreads.

3. Entangle works even beyond where the sod spreads.

I see 1 and 2 happening much more often than 3.

Chronos
2011-12-02, 01:11 PM
As the shrunken sod expands, it covers area out to where folks' feet (or other obstacles) are, but crumples up against such barriers. There's no reason it would slide under feet. If you had time to prepare the area, though (setting an ambush, say), you could smooth it out like laying a carpet.

imneuromancer
2011-12-02, 03:03 PM
Much like my Other thread on a similar topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223078), it sounds like the way around it is:

1) make a large net of living vines and plants
2) wizard Shrinks Item, gives to party member
3) wizard holds action; party member throws Shrunk Item above heads of enemies
4) wizard issues command word, net of living plants comes down on enemies
5) druid casts entangle