PDA

View Full Version : Recording and Video Editing Questions

userpay
2011-12-02, 06:19 PM
So I need to do a project where I have to give a presentation through a video using a powerpoint slide. Now my teacher has given the class options on how to do stuff however... Its all on the Mac side and I use Windows. Granted I could probably use my school's computers for this but I'd rather do it all at home where I can record/rerecord clips without bothering other people. Also the way he demonstrated would have the slides moving at a predetermined pace.

What I was hoping for is something for screen recording and then something to edit it with if necessary. Preferably both should be free and without watermarks, I'm unsure if I'll get marked down for watermarks. Being able to do a screen recording, and speaking into a mic as I do so, would allow me to pace my powerpoint properly. If the screen recording software would let me switch to my webcam that would help as well as I did plan on potentially using props as part of the video.

In case anyone was wondering my presentation is going to be about industry trends regarding video game consoles.

Jimorian
2011-12-02, 08:50 PM
Windows Movie Maker should be all you need. [opens it up] Yes, looking at it, you can drag image files into the timeline, then adjust how long they play so you can get the "slide" timing right, then you can go to the "tools" menu and add a narration track to it. You should be able to add a background music track as well. You can prerecord web camera stuff and add that in where you need it as well.

The issue is playback at school, since it only outputs windows media files, and while quicktime on a Mac can play it, you need to download and install the codec from Microsoft first. Another option is to convert the file to Quicktime via software like SUPER (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html).

OracleofWuffing
2011-12-02, 09:01 PM
CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/) is what I hear suggested a lot for Windows-end screen recording on the cheap.

userpay
2011-12-03, 01:43 AM
Well actually rather than playing it in class its suppose to be uploaded (to school server I think) and stream it to my web page. I suppose thats something else I should look into. Why did he have to make this assignment an end of the year project...