PDA

View Full Version : this is frankly ridiculous... but... (wizard question)

big teej
2011-12-02, 08:04 PM
greetings playgrounders,

I'm in the process of setting up my decoy spellbooks to go BOOM when someone messes with them.

now, I was doing the math on how much it would cost me to set up all thes traps when I noticed this little golden tidbit

Originally posted by the SRD
" A spell trap has a cost only if the builder must hire an NPC spellcaster to cast it. "

now.... call me crazy... but that seems fairly explicit to me.

in that it doesn't cost me a single shiney copper piece or a single experience point to load up my decoys with as many spell-traps as I want.

am I correct?

page linked for relevance

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#tableCostModifiersforMagicDeviceTraps

Aegis013
2011-12-02, 08:08 PM
Still costs you the XP, but it's well known (here at least) that magical traps are absurdly powerful.

Wings of Peace
2011-12-02, 08:11 PM
Yep, magical traps are a good way to break things. Especially if you start rigging them to do useful things that you'll want a lot like make food.

Doug Lampert
2011-12-02, 08:15 PM
greetings playgrounders,

I'm in the process of setting up my decoy spellbooks to go BOOM when someone messes with them.

now, I was doing the math on how much it would cost me to set up all thes traps when I noticed this little golden tidbit

now.... call me crazy... but that seems fairly explicit to me.

in that it doesn't cost me a single shiney copper piece or a single experience point to load up my decoys with as many spell-traps as I want.

am I correct?

page linked for relevance

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#tableCostModifiersforMagicDeviceTraps

Spell traps are not magic device traps. Magic device traps are the ones that cast anything. Spell traps are things like Explosive Runes and Permanent symbols. And yes, all that costs is someone to cast the spell.

molten_dragon
2011-12-02, 08:46 PM
Spell traps are not magic device traps. Magic device traps are the ones that cast anything. Spell traps are things like Explosive Runes and Permanent symbols. And yes, all that costs is someone to cast the spell.

This was the way I read it too. It's referring to spells that in and of themselves create traps.

big teej
2011-12-02, 09:03 PM
Still costs you the XP, but it's well known (here at least) that magical traps are absurdly powerful.

suhweeet...

I think. :smallconfused:

This was the way I read it too. It's referring to spells that in and of themselves create traps.

okay... I guess I'll elaborate on my situation a bit, hopefully that way I can get the answer I need.

alright, my wizard has 3 decoy-spellbooks. the following is a list of spells I want to go off in the face of whoever touches/opens my book without the proper password.

this is only one list of spells of course, each decoy has different combinations.

anyways, forgive any painfully obvious mistakes, this is the first time (ever) I've had to wade through character based trap-crafting rules.

Alarm
Daze
Flare
Ghost sound
Grease
Hypnotism
Sleep
Color spray
Ray of enfeeblement
Glitterdust
Touch of idiocy

basically the idea is "2 copper thief opens up book"
-series of spells goes off on thief-

and I need to figure out what all goes into making this happen. obviously password protected, wouldn't want all this stuff going off on me

dextercorvia
2011-12-02, 10:59 PM
suhweeet...

I think. :smallconfused:

okay... I guess I'll elaborate on my situation a bit, hopefully that way I can get the answer I need.

alright, my wizard has 3 decoy-spellbooks. the following is a list of spells I want to go off in the face of whoever touches/opens my book without the proper password.

this is only one list of spells of course, each decoy has different combinations.

anyways, forgive any painfully obvious mistakes, this is the first time (ever) I've had to wade through character based trap-crafting rules.

Alarm
Daze
Flare
Ghost sound
Grease
Hypnotism
Sleep
Color spray
Ray of enfeeblement
Glitterdust
Touch of idiocy

basically the idea is "2 copper thief opens up book"
-series of spells goes off on thief-

and I need to figure out what all goes into making this happen. obviously password protected, wouldn't want all this stuff going off on me

For that you need to make the Magic Device Trap... It requires Craft Wonderous Item, and the expenditures in the table.

big teej
2011-12-02, 11:27 PM
For that you need to make the Magic Device Trap... It requires Craft Wonderous Item, and the expenditures in the table.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:smallfrown:

dextercorvia
2011-12-02, 11:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:smallfrown:

Or pay someone else to do it.

big teej
2011-12-02, 11:41 PM
Or pay someone else to do it.

that's even more expensive.

jaybird
2011-12-03, 12:04 AM
I don't supposed you could just ER it?

big teej
2011-12-03, 12:16 AM
I don't supposed you could just ER it?

what's ER?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-03, 12:18 AM
what's ER?

Explosive Runes. But theres the issue of your backback becoming an inferno when the all-to-inevitable Dispel Magic is thrown at you to strip you of your buffs.

Treblain
2011-12-03, 12:23 AM
Doesn't the backpack block line of effect to the spellbooks, so Dispel wouldn't affect the objects inside it?

Chronos
2011-12-03, 01:49 PM
Shouldn't Explosive Runes be in purple?

Guess what spell I prepared today?

Diefje
2011-12-03, 03:01 PM
Good news, everyone! Alarm is free on a magical trap!

But after that.... Maybe just cut down on what spells you want it to cast.

jaybird
2011-12-03, 03:16 PM
Shouldn't Explosive Runes be in purple?

Guess what spell I prepared today?

Well played, sir, well played.