PDA

View Full Version : Dragonblood subtype

CommodoreCrunch
2011-12-02, 11:55 PM
So I'm toying around with a Dragonfire Inspiration Bard build and looking at my dragonblood options. I'd prefer to have a less-resisted energy type with DI, but I don't want to sink a level into sorcerer to choose which type of dragon I'm descended from. My question relates to races that are naturally dragonblooded. Can I choose what type of dragon they're related to, or it is an unspecified type that would just have DI default to fire?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-03, 12:16 AM
Dragon Magic has dragon-associated variants of a lot of core races. They all get Dragon-Blooded and are associated with a specific color. But, IIRC, Dragonfire Inspiration only allows you to change the type if you have Draconic Heritage. Which means you have to take a Sorcerer level and take the feat to change the type of damage granted by Dragonfire Inspiration. It doesn't care if you are actually descended from dragons, only that you have Draconic Heritage feat.

Keld Denar
2011-12-03, 01:19 AM
There is a feat that allows you to "fake" being a Sorcerer WRT taking Draconic Heritage feats called Dragontouched, but thats ANOTHER feat you have to take, between DFI, Dragontouched, and Draconic Herritage.

The other alternative is to be a Half-Dragon, but thats basically setting fire to 3 perfectly good class levels, and shouldn't really be an option unless it was "basically free".

That said, it doesn't make very much sense for a person decendant from a silver dragon to manifest fire. It PROBABLY wouldn't be a terrible houserule to change from fire to cold if you were silverbrow, or acid if you were forestlord, for example.

Rapidghoul
2011-12-03, 06:15 PM
If you already have the dragonblood subtype, you could take thd Dragonblood Sorcerer replacement level (RotD 107). Instead of a familiar, you get +2 Knowledge (arcana) and get Draconic Heritage for free. You still have to take a level of sorcerer, but you don't have to do that AND burn a feat.

That said, the bard in my campaign is going to get DFI eventually, and I'm allowing him to choose his element upon taking the feat. Totally understandable if the character has a strong tie to an element.

The Underlord
2011-12-03, 06:31 PM
Silverbrow human is probably one of the best. They trade the skill points for the dragon-blooded subtype. They keep the bonus feat.

Dragonborn is another option that has a whole lot of cool things, but you lose racial feature though.

Rapidghoul
2011-12-03, 06:38 PM
Dragonborn is another option that has a whole lot of cool things, but you lose racial feature though.

Cool things like wings or a breathweapon. If you toss it onto a race that mostly is just for stats like half-orc (which stay post-template), you get the most benefit with least cost.

Greenish
2011-12-03, 06:42 PM
Cool things like wings or a breathweapon. If you toss it onto a race that mostly is just for stats like half-orc (which stay post-template), you get the most benefit with least cost.Why go half? Proper orc beats halfsies. Water orc, now, that'll beat both.

Rapidghoul
2011-12-03, 07:52 PM
Why go half? Proper orc beats halfsies. Water orc, now, that'll beat both.

Good point. Granted, when talking about making a DFA bard, a Charisma penalty race isn't very helpful. Honestly the best might be a Dragonborn Aasimar (or Lesser Aasimar if cheesey races are allowed) for +2 Wis, +2 Cha, +2 Con, -2 Dex.

CommodoreCrunch
2011-12-05, 01:17 AM
If you already have the dragonblood subtype, you could take thd Dragonblood Sorcerer replacement level (RotD 107). Instead of a familiar, you get +2 Knowledge (arcana) and get Draconic Heritage for free. You still have to take a level of sorcerer, but you don't have to do that AND burn a feat. Hot damn I might have to do this. Though if the DM cares about flavor I might have to be some other race and take dragontouched to get that delicious sonic damage.

Tokuhara
2011-12-05, 01:30 AM
Hot damn I might have to do this. Though if the DM cares about flavor I might have to be some other race and take dragontouched to get that delicious sonic damage.

My 2c:

Cheeswrought Loredrake Kobold Dragonblood Sorcerer 1/Bard Build X