PDA

View Full Version : Working Animals into an Urban Campaign

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-03, 05:52 PM
Hello, all!
I'm wanting to join in on a sandbox urban campaign, but I'm wanting to work an exotic pet of some sort into it. What sort of character builds and concepts would allow and make sense for a character to have a pet or familiar or animal companion or even just an animalistic cohort such as an owlbear, or a dire animal, or possibly even a dragonne? Actually, make that especially a dragonne. A pampered, overprotective dragonne would be awesome. Half lion, half dragon, all fancy. And teeth. Lots of teeth.

So far, some basic (and not all that good) ideas (and theirdrawbacks) I've had are:

Druid/rogue who was impressed by how animals managed to survive in Urban environments and emulates them, but I'm not sure how I would work him or her into the game. What would his/her motives be? Would he/she be an assassin? How would he/she (screw it, just assume every male noun also assumes female nouns for gender equality) find honest work?

A craftsman of some sort who works images of his favorite magical beast into his work, but I'm not sure what class I would use for this and how well they would handle any non-crafting situation or why they'd have one of those animals.

Young druid or ranger gathering up all the stray animals and giving them a home or protection. This one makes the most sense to me so far, but again, how would such a person make a living in the city?

A wizard who focuses on learning more about magical animals. Again, why would they be in the city, how would they be making a living, and how would I make sure they survive in urban adventures?

A major problem here is that for one to survive in an urban campaign, especially a sandbox one or a particularly vicious and backstabby one, is that certain skills and even feats and multiclass levels are needed to ensure one's survival.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-03, 09:03 PM
Rats and mice, ravens and crows, pigeons, spiders, sea gulls, raccoons, various stray pets and feral cats and dogs as you mention all make sense for an urban campaign as wild creatures.
Swarms of cockroaches, spiders and possibly even bats could work as well.
More exotic creatures could be explained as abandoned exotic pets, like the old story of alligators in the sewers.

Belril Duskwalk
2011-12-04, 08:38 AM
Young druid or ranger gathering up all the stray animals and giving them a home or protection. This one makes the most sense to me so far, but again, how would such a person make a living in the city?

Most decent sized (modern) cities have an animal control agency for gathering up stray pets and catching wild animals before the animal or the people around it get hurt. You could do something similar, get some minor link to the local government and you can round up stray creatures all day and get paid to do it. Maybe you get some minor rewards from the pet owners that lost their pets sometimes. Maybe you sell abandoned animals to people who want them.

jackattack
2011-12-04, 09:35 AM
The size and number of feral animals and/or monsters in an urban environment should be related to the size, density, and condition of the city.

Small city, fewer feral animals/monsters. Large city, more feral animals/monsters.

If the city is nothing but buildings with connecting walls with no room for alleys, it will have fewer and smaller animals/monsters. If the city has sprawling construction, with plenty of space between buildings and lots of alleys and plenty of parks, it will have more and larger animals/monsters.

A city in good repair and full occupancy will have fewer and smaller animals/monsters. A city in decay with abandoned areas and ruins will have more and larger animals/monsters.

Finally, the presence of walls, sewers, and catacombs will influence the size and number of animals/monsters.

-----

A dragonne might well have been the abandoned pet of a wealthy lord or merchant. It might also have escaped from a zoo or a traveling circus. A character might have acquired it while traveling in his backstory, bought it as a cub/hatchling, or found it in the ruins at the edge of the city.

As above, a city might pay a druid to act as animal control, with the expectation that the animals will be removed from the city.

A wizard who is interested in animals/monsters might specialize summoning spells, which allow him to study the animals and to sic them on his enemies.

A craftsman who worked images of magical beasts into his work might also be a summoner or an animator, with the caveat that he needs an image of a creature as a focus for his magic.

-----

How does a rogue find honest work? By roguing for the local authorities. He might recover stolen goods from the people who bought them, or he might be a spy/agent for the mayor, or he might pick locks or climb through open upper-story windows for people who lock themselves out of their homes or businesses.