PDA

View Full Version : slight psyics addaption for D&D

bobthe6th
2011-12-04, 01:07 AM
one D&D newton = 1lb accelerated 5'/sec. squared.
let the standard gravity = 90 5'/sec squared.
what do you think?

Alefiend
2011-12-04, 02:59 AM
one D&D newton = 1lb accelerated 5'/sec. squared.
let the standard gravity = 90 5'/sec squared.
what do you think?

I think that, without a context in which to apply this physics amendment, you're not going to get a whole lot of traction.

I think that most of the people on this board aren't going to see how this applies to the game until/unless you tell them.

I think that trying to add one piece of real-world physics to a game as shot through with inconsistencies and impossibilities as D&D is a bad idea. Got any rules for volumetrics and convection for Fireball?

herrhauptmann
2011-12-04, 02:59 AM
Methinks you're using two completely different measuring systems, which will only confuse people. Ditto with your method of writing it out (in english).

On earth, gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 (SI). Or: 32.2 ft/s^2. (imperial)
While one newton is a 1 kg-m/s^2 (SI). Approximately 65 ft/s^2. (imperial)

However, that's not how we measure weight in USA (and other countries that use imperial)

One pound force equals one pound mass, while on earth. Should you go to a different planet, part of that conversion (which includes the measurement "slugs"), will end up very different from the 1 to 1 equivalency we currently enjoy. But all fantasy planets enjoy gravitational pulls equal to that of earth. So it doesn't matter.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-04, 04:59 AM
I personally think the standard unit of measurement should be catgirls, by the end of the thread we will need to do something with all the bodies.

bobthe6th
2011-12-04, 12:43 PM
point, was just trying to use lb, as the system of D&D would require constant conversions between lb and Kg. and as this is high fantisy with super heros, I figured slightly higher gravity would make life esier.
but I moved it a decimal place. ok, let gravity = 10 m/s^2.

Studoku
2011-12-04, 12:48 PM
While gravity being 10m/s^2 would be rather convenient for physicists, how is the difference relevant to any game situation?

bobthe6th
2011-12-04, 12:52 PM
not sure of a good application. just thought it might be interesting, and make mass matter more in D&D. getting hit by a 50lb bolder just does 5d6 damage, rather than being hit by an accelerating 50lb bolder!

gkathellar
2011-12-04, 01:06 PM
I personally think the standard unit of measurement should be catgirls, by the end of the thread we will need to do something with all the bodies.

Nah, that only applies to spells. A spell's weight is equivalent to how many catgirls can you kill/main/ruin with it. Healing spells and buffs have negative weight.

Diefje
2011-12-04, 01:26 PM
Who's gonna break it to the dragons that they can't fly anymore?

You can adapt the falling objects table, but to introduce physics ingame is gonna be waaaaaaaay more trouble than it's worth.

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-04, 04:16 PM
You should do this to a game with more internal consistency and more modelling of physics and stuff already.

Like GURPS.