PDA

View Full Version : Help balance this flaw?

hushblade
2011-12-04, 10:27 AM
Massive debt: For whatever reason, your character owes ungodly amounts of money. Each time your character gains any form of wealth(items, coins, land, ect.) determine its value and within 1 week, X% of its value must be paid to( who/whatever you owe) or face Z penalty.

So

I'm thinking Z could be interest, and then having assets forcibly seized after more time, but I'm definitely open to other ideas.

What percentage of gained wealth do you think is appropriate to deduct?

Are there any issues in wording you think need correcting?

boomwolf
2011-12-04, 11:16 AM
I think it is too much of a roleplay to be a proper flaw, after all its not something that is in your character and can never be removed, it is something environment-effected.

After all you could just run away, kill whoever you are in debt to, get lost in general etc...its not something like true flaws that represent more of a minor genetic/mental disability...

Zeta Kai
2011-12-04, 03:39 PM
Add to that the fact that flaws are as balanced as a house of cards in a car wash, & you have a recipe for disaster in a random direction. It either means nothing, or it's utterly crippling.

And the fun part is, it will be hard to tell which way it's gonna be! Everybody loses!! Yay!!! :smallbiggrin:

AmberVael
2011-12-04, 03:46 PM
Suddenly, Vow of Poverty.

I must donate my 50 copper to an orphanage! Oh no!

Silva Stormrage
2011-12-04, 09:22 PM
Suddenly, Vow of Poverty.

I must donate my 50 copper to an orphanage! Oh no!

But then you actually have to TAKE vow of poverty... Its not an abuse of this flaw if it makes you weaker than a normal character...

sengmeng
2011-12-04, 09:26 PM
Just a flavor change, really: call it Compulsive Gambler: X% of your money "disappears" each week. (maybe roll a d100)

As has been said, however, VoP makes it redundant, and it should be roleplaying instead of mechanics.