PDA

View Full Version : 1st Attempt at 4e Homebrew: The Battlemaster, a Martial Controller

wayfare
2011-12-04, 01:46 PM
Hey All:

This is my 1st attempt at a 4e homebrew. I'm doing it incrementally, so the class will be posted bit by bit as i get feedback.

The goal is to create a martial controller. Here is the chassis I am working with. Sadly, it seems Like I'm off to a bad start already: feels very much like a leader to me. Any suggestions to get the class back on track would be appreciated:

BATTLEMASTER

“With time to reflect, you would come to realize your every action was part of a greater plan. Sadly, you haven't time enough left to puzzle it out.”

CLASS TRAITS
Role: Controller. You use refined tactics and precision maneuvers to limit your opponent's options and manipulate the battlefield. You tend toward leader as a secondary role, increasing your allies' ability advance and withdraw as combat is joined.

Power Source: Martial. Training, experience and insight allow you to predict your opponents actions and react accordingly.

Key Abilities: Dexterity or Strength; Intelligence

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail

Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged, military melee, military ranged

Bonus to Defense: +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution modifier

Class Skills: (Thinking the Warlord Skill List...not certain yet)

CLASS FEATURES

Battlemaster's Insight: Your attacks expose the weak points in any enemy's defenses. Once per round, when you strike an opponent, you may inflict a -2 Penalty to the Defense statistic of your choice. This penalty lasts until the beginning of your next turn.

Battlemaster's Rebuke: When an ally within 5 squares of you makes an Opportunity Attack, add your Intelligence modifier to the damage inflicted.

BATTLEMASTER TECHNIQUE

Battlemasters engage with their foes in two distinct ways. Choose one of the following Techniques:

TACTICAL BATTLEMASTER

You lead the battle from the front lines, creating openings for your allies and unifying the efforts of your party members. You serve best when coordinating the efforts of a small strike team that works in close spaces to achieve limited goals. Your team strikes with superior power before a fast fade, leaving your enemies broken an scattered in a matter of moments.

As a Tactical Battlemaster, you gain the following class features:

Tactical Mobility: You know how to move across the battlefield without drawing your foes attacks. When you shift, you may move 10 feet instead of the normal distance allowed. Additionally, whenever you or an ally within 10 squares spends an action point, they may shift 10 feet as part of their action.

Tactical Superiority: You direct your allies to fight as a cohesive unit, focusing their fire to greatest effect. Each ally adjacent to you increases the damage of their attacks by the total number of allies adjacent to you.

STRATEGIC BATTLEMASTER

You operate best when overseeing the battle from a distance, relaying orders and delivering precision strikes. Your attacks sow confusion in enemy ranks, reducing unit cohesion and allowing your allies to capitalize upon a flawed defense.

As a Strategic Battlemaster, you gain the following Class Features:

Strategic Strike: Whenever you apply Battlemaster's Insight to an opponent, you may instead choose to inflict a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

Strategic Placement: Whenever you strike an opponent, instead of applying Battlemaster's Insight, an ally adjacent to your target can shift 5 feet.