PDA

View Full Version : Things to Say While Casting

theflyingkitty
2011-12-04, 05:13 PM
I have a half-dragon swordmage-wizard who is looking for some things to shout while casting spells and such tonight.

What are YOUR favorite things to shout (or that you've heard at the table?)

Shadowknight12
2011-12-04, 05:57 PM
An old favourite of mine from the NWN games: "May the earth take you!"

I've made my own variations by replacing the word 'earth' with whatever is appropriate for the character (ice, sea, fire, winds, storm, wilds, fiends, etc).

Other options are "Die, you worthless scum!", "By the will of [Personal Deity]/the arcane!", "*random gibberish*!", "Death to those who stand in my way!", "By darkness be slain!", "FEEL MY POWER!", "I shall unmake you where you stand!", "Fall before my might!", etc.

But honestly, the best thing to do is to just create personalised stuff, rather than generic cool sounding shouts. Figure out your character's personality and think what he or she would shout to his or her enemies as they're about to bite the dust.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-04, 06:02 PM
Meaningless gibberish I've spent entirely too long making up. For each spell. In between sessions.

:smallfrown:

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-04, 06:13 PM
EXTRA CRISPY!

TOASTY!

TROLOLOLOLOLOL!

UMADBRO?

My other spell is also disintegrate!

I love the smell of first level spells in the morning...smells like...humiliating death.

BACK TO HELL WITH YOU!

Say hello to mother for me.

SUCK IT DOWN LIKE THIS!

Anything translated into latin or draconic or esperanto.

SHAZAM!

jackattack
2011-12-04, 06:27 PM
Latin (or a reasonable facsimile) is a time-honored magic language, but simply saying the name of the spell in any foreign language you know ought to do...

If you don't know a foreign language, there are lots of free translation websites online. (I like "freedict", myself.)

theflyingkitty
2011-12-04, 06:45 PM
I'm looking for quick things to build off of or atleast throw my DM's off guard tonight in about an hour.

However, as this is a fun thread idea.... keep it going!

Yora
2011-12-04, 07:04 PM
"Shoopdawoop"

Great for both lightning bolt and disintegrate.

Autolycus84
2011-12-04, 07:21 PM
Azarath Metrion Zinthos!

Glyde
2011-12-04, 07:25 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics has very adaptable quotes for spells. Liiiike:

"Destruction of nature, gather in flame! Fire!"

"Strip away the ground with glistening blades! Bolt!"

Etc.

Aron Times
2011-12-04, 07:59 PM
The name of the spell, like in the Order of the Stick or Bleach. Usually in a Tranquil Fury style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwHBHxmA3pk

Quietus
2011-12-05, 12:35 AM
Ortano, fordiguma!

Dr paradox
2011-12-05, 01:48 AM
Try some completely out of context latin!

"Nolumus Magnum Lupum!"
(We do not want a large wolf!)

"Villam Habeo!"
(I have a country house!)

"Arbores sunt Obesus!"
(The trees are fat!)

stuff like that. try to find some, and see if your party ever realizes what they mean!

FerhagoRosewood
2011-12-05, 02:52 AM
For my posh, female bard Prestidigitation is signaled by a snap of the fingers. Usually to prevent having to suffer bad smells or tastes.

Cerlis
2011-12-05, 03:52 AM
The name of the spell, like in the Order of the Stick or Bleach. Usually in a Tranquil Fury style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwHBHxmA3pk

when i first clicked this thread, I was trying t remember those spells, or rather what show/movie/comic had them.

THe reason i like them is because its as if the person is saying a prayer to whatever elements they are using, a plea for power and instructions for what to do.

Analytica
2011-12-05, 04:44 AM
How about something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIS2b7EOpB4)?

Doorhandle
2011-12-05, 05:44 AM
Depends on the spell type:

Divination: "Voyeurism, HO!"
abjuration: "****-blocking, HO!"
Evocation: "Death and destruction, HO!"
necromancy: "Corpses, HO!"
conjuration: "Star-trek, HO!"

Dedications are nice if you're not incarnating a spell as such: "For Tea and Country, the queen can suck it!"

Also, if you're not in a serious role-playing group, gaming/movie references work wonders.

"GET OVER HERE!"

Shadowknight12
2011-12-05, 05:51 AM
abjuration: "****-blocking, HO!"

This is actually an extremely accurate portrayal of how to play an abjurer.

*slow clap*

Shadowleaf
2011-12-05, 05:55 AM
How has FUS RO DAH not been said yet?

Kurgan
2011-12-05, 06:30 AM
Well, the very best line I have ever heard when someone was casting was:

Eenie Meanie Mini Moe, Magic Missile Strike My Foe!

Cheesy rhymes are fun, and lets face it, some wizards just like a good laugh now and then.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-05, 06:36 AM
Unlimited Pow-waahh!!!

Heliomance
2011-12-05, 08:51 AM
Prismatic Spray: Taste the rainbow, b****!

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-12-05, 09:00 AM

I was surprised about that too.

For those who cast via UMD, I heard about an old classic on the street (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYl2SxYvdE&feature=related), applicable whether you roll high or low. :smallwink:

Gensh
2011-12-05, 09:23 AM
Don't forget the verbal component (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1A6CUW4W0) to remove curse. :smallwink:

Lapak
2011-12-05, 10:04 AM
Make like you're calling on ancient, forgotten powers when you cast your spells. If they aren't part of the setting you're in, all the better; obviously you are drawing on Forces Beyond Comprehension That Man Was Not Meant To Meddle With.

"I call upon the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak to confine my foe!" when casting Hold Person.

"The Bolt of Bedevilment will strike you down!" when casting Magic Missile. Or heck, any old blasting spell.

"The Icy Tendrils of Ikthalon will chill your blood!" for some Snowcasting Black Tentacles.

And so on. You'll make a reputation as the best spell-slinger in town in no time.

Ason
2011-12-05, 10:11 AM
Other options:

Tingle Tingle Kooloo Limpah! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_wpUu2Nt_4)

If the words your caster says don't matter, I'd always be amused by yelling out one spell's name and then casting another. (ex. "FIREBALL!" upon casting Disintegrate)

Aurenthal
2011-12-05, 10:16 AM
My first cleric used to say:
"By the might of Moradin!"
When striking in a decisive moment

Traab
2011-12-05, 11:29 AM
Shazaam!
Avada Kedavra!
Pacis Per Excellens Telum!

Qwertystop
2011-12-05, 11:35 AM
"Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?"
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREnvJRkif0)
That works with anything that has a long casting time. Translate the bits that are actual words to another language.

Gandariel
2011-12-05, 11:36 AM
Try some completely out of context latin!

"Nolumus Magnum Lupum!"
(We do not want a large wolf!)

"Villam Habeo!"
(I have a country house!)

"Arbores sunt Obesus!"
(The trees are fat!)

stuff like that. try to find some, and see if your party ever realizes what they mean!

Obesus isn't quite right , actually... it's declined as a first person singular male term and.. i'm being excessively pedant, am i not?

Anyway, i'd go with AZARATH, METRION, ZINKTOS!

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-05, 11:36 AM
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power!
It's crackling grip tells me to grasp victory!
Take this! My hate! My anger! And all of my fury!
SHOCKING GRASP!"

Razgriez
2011-12-05, 11:39 AM

*ahem*

FUS RO DAH! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8THFJ3siv0)

Aasimar
2011-12-05, 01:08 PM
Once in an epic game of Star Wars Saga edition, we were at level 20+ fighting our way past the entire dark council of the Sith Empire, when the gunslinger in the party blows off the head of one of them. He immediately shouts. "Go for their heads! They're powerless without their HEADS!"

Isomenes
2011-12-05, 01:09 PM
A couple of deliciously obscure ones for you. The important part of these is to say these with a minimum of genuine affect. You almost want to try to phone it in.

"Behold my power!"
"Spirits, lend me your powers..."
Cold-based spells: "Now bear my arctic blast!"

Feralventas
2011-12-05, 03:00 PM
"Oh gods I'm sorry, I thought that was a sleep spell!"

jaybird
2011-12-05, 03:09 PM
Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
My Arcane Thesis,
Is up for peer review.

Analytica
2011-12-05, 03:19 PM
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power!
It's crackling grip tells me to grasp victory!
Take this! My hate! My anger! And all of my fury!
SHOCKING GRASP!"

SHOKINGU GURASPU! :smallbiggrin:

Or from an entirely different tradition:

Y'AI 'NG'NGAH
YOG-SOTHOTH
H'EE-L'GEB
F'AI THRODOG
UAAAH -
Animate Dead!

OGTHROD AI'F
GEB'L-EE'H
YOG-SOTHOTH
'NGAH'NG AI'Y
ZHRO -
Disrupt Undead!

Zale
2011-12-05, 04:06 PM
When using any Transmuation spell ever: Bippity Boppity Boo.

Hum that tune the entire encounter.

Pyron
2011-12-05, 04:09 PM
Weak minded fools,
Cower before my illusions.

SILENT IMAGE!
*casts Fireball*

Zale
2011-12-05, 04:34 PM
Oh and if you're using evocation:

FOR PONY!

OverdrivePrime
2011-12-05, 05:39 PM
Most of my casters use the druid list, and I used to play Immortal 1st edition at least 30% more than is healthy. In immortal, each magical effect could be boosted with a short focusing litany.

Flamestrike: "Heat upon heat, the soul to fire!"

Entangle: "Heart of the Earth, hold fast my foes"

Air Walk: "I walk where I will."

Earthquake: "The ground devours..."

Daylight: "The sun shines first; the moon shines last..."

Reincarnate: "The sun burns Death's hand."

Shapechange: "The wild heart beats inside me..."

Jay R
2011-12-05, 06:06 PM
"Behold your fate, creatures of darkness! Your demise is at hand, for I wield arcane power beyond your feeble goblin reasoning! The forces of the very cosmos are mine to command, and yet still you cannot comprehend the dark dismal end in store for you and your wicked compatriots. Nay! Your little brains can only leave you gasping in horror as I bend reality to my very will! The magic I wield is capable of rending asunder the universe – nay, the whole of the multiverse, and in fact is wasted on such pitiful creatures as yourself. But I shall bring it to bear nonetheless, and you shall rue the day I chose to wreak such unimaginable havoc on your lives with the sheer power of my arcane works. And lo, in days and years to come, when the children come to play in the smoking crater that once held your den of evil, they shall know nothing of your wickedness, but all shall feel the echoes of the power…"

"I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds with enough time left over to move 30 feet. I am capable of manipulating matter and energy on a subatomic level by speaking. A mere flick of my finger is sufficient to alter the gravitational pull of the planet. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics loose guidelines at best! In short, I am grasping the reins of the universe's carriage, and every morning I wake up, look to the heavens, and shout, "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!"

theflyingkitty
2011-12-05, 07:48 PM
Oh my! I am in love with so many of these! It's hard to find any of this on the internets. Keep it up! I'll try to think up some good ones soon as well.

Venom3053000
2011-12-05, 08:05 PM
Hadoken

mine is not as good as the other

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-05, 08:40 PM
I envy you all. I just get weird looks from the other players, and then get asked "wtf are you doing?" whenever I call my attacks/spells.

:smallmad:

Apparently roleplaying ends when the battle starts.

UrsielHauke
2011-12-05, 10:02 PM
Anything translated into latin or draconic or esperanto.

You win one internet.

Something that I personally use for my paladin; a prayer, rather:

Luna-Dominae Nobis Providet
Luna-Dominae Nobis Dona Pacem
Luna-Dominae Nobis Providet

(The Lady of the Moon provides for us/ the lady of the moon gives us peace/ the lady of the moon provides for us) (latin)

(Obvious wink and a nod to ponies, of course)

Aron Times
2011-12-05, 10:35 PM
Confusion - "Lelouch vi Britannia commands you. All of you, die!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2cBsA1f_0)

Belril Duskwalk
2011-12-05, 10:59 PM
I once campaigned with an Evoker who, whenever he cast Magic Missile, would say 'Pew, Pew, Pew' and make little gun gestures with his fingers. I kid you not. He even did this while having a spell duel with an opposing (higher leveled) wizard, AND WON!

My sorcerer is more succinct. When he casts fire-based spells he simply shouts 'BURN!' When I get around to learning lightning-based spells I fully intend to scream 'POWER!!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!' Cheesy, yes, but it does get the point across.

sengmeng
2011-12-05, 11:08 PM
Lightning bolt: "...and now, young Skywalker, you will DIE!"

Janus
2011-12-05, 11:49 PM
*ahem*
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hMsraQ8Qvx4/TSqG3jIZFuI/AAAAAAAAAFM/ifRWTxXN05E/s640/Doodle_032_LightningMage.jpg
Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo
Put 'em together and what have you got
bippity-boppity-boo!!

Calmar
2011-12-06, 01:48 AM
You're no cleric, but you could utter the divine words of wisdom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tBqdKGiqnI) of the priests from ancient times.

Shoot Da Moon
2011-12-06, 04:51 AM
Evil, meet mana! MANA! MEET! EVIL!!

Toasty!

Yvan eht nioj!!

*The long list rapid fire chorus from Weird Al's Hardware Store*

Analytica
2011-12-06, 05:16 AM
Put it together from Enochian phrases (http://www.occult100.com/bos/enochian.txt)?

The_Admiral
2011-12-06, 05:38 AM
Feather Fall - Geronimoo!
Expeditious Retreat - Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!(while running)
Dispel Magic - Nope
Charm Person - Helloo *winks*

DigoDragon
2011-12-06, 10:08 AM
As DM, I had a BBEG WuJen buff up with Giant Size once--

"Time to show you how big a threat I really am! INOC-CHUCK!"

Tzevash
2011-12-06, 10:15 AM
"When I'll be finished with you, you'll need six different obitories."

The Glyphstone
2011-12-06, 10:27 AM
Banishment or Dismissal must be accompanied by the incantation Yu Mo Gui Gwai Fai Di Zao (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgEnsTQwZW4).

RandomNPC
2011-12-06, 10:40 AM
I just rolled up a low level bard, looking in the back of the DMG I made my lute have a 1/day magic ability.

I say "It's time to play the music" and it casts light on itself, dancing lights dance around me, and ghost sound makes background music and audience sounds.

With all of those being 0 level spells, it didn't cost TO much money...

Heliomance
2011-12-06, 11:19 AM
Banishment or Dismissal must be accompanied by the incantation Yu Mo Gui Gwai Fai Di Zao (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgEnsTQwZW4).

I got that without needing to look at the link :smallamused:

Wyntonian
2011-12-06, 11:32 AM
Mass Heroism:
Pretty much this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw)

Firest Kathon
2011-12-06, 11:39 AM
Latin (or a reasonable facsimile) is a time-honored magic language, but simply saying the name of the spell in any foreign language you know ought to do...

If you don't know a foreign language, there are lots of free translation websites online. (I like "freedict", myself.)

I always think of latin as more of a wizard's language, so I had my sorcerer cast his spells in russian instead.

Necroticplague
2011-12-06, 02:49 PM
"Let my horrors now be yours"(scary Illusion spell)
"Can you help me, I need you to listen in the voices in my head for me for a sec"(damaging Sonic spell, especially mind-affecting)
"You think your scary?"(fear effect spell)
"Dance"(necromancy that raises dead)
I used these ones on a not-quite right DN//Beguiler before (also had Live My Nightmare, first one was usually for Phantasmal Killer/ its upgrades)

"Arise"(raising dead)
"Entomb/ensnare"(spell that traps them)

Giarc
2011-12-06, 06:58 PM
Puns related to the spell you are casting.

theflyingkitty
2011-12-06, 06:58 PM
My current DM's love sillyness, but may hold me against something if they can.

Thinking of something to use for a peephole ritual and, of course, magic missile.

As the peephole one involves touching the surface of whatever, maybe I could just use "Boop." every time.

I should also think up some storm theme specific ones, as she's part storm dragon and has worked on a ship for a very long time. She's very chaotic neutral, and usualy suspicious of everything. I've been bugging the DM's with sniffing and listening for everything.

jackattack
2011-12-06, 08:40 PM
By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!

Alamarain!

Frammin' on the jammitz!

Unga-bunga-bunga!

Osterhagen!

Maryring
2011-12-06, 09:24 PM
Baldur's gate had a different incantation for each of the spell schools. You could take a look at those perhaps? Unfortunately I couldn't find any links to movies that have only the incantations.

Uyer
2011-12-07, 12:56 AM
Spell names in Latin: Arcane (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/latin.htm) Divine (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/stonekeep/25/latin2.html)

the_fencer0
2011-12-07, 11:36 AM
I think, especially for higher level spells of aweful pain, a good old fashioned "F*** you!" works just as well.

TheJudicator
2011-12-07, 11:47 AM
For Divine Power: "By the (deity-related attribute) of (deity-related symbol)! I HAVE THE POWER!!"

Any divination spells: "Time to phone a friend..."
Any (light) spells: "May those who stick out in darkness...flouresce."
Any summon spells: "it's dangerous to go alone. Take this!"

And then, for my personal taste, metamagic tag-ons!

Extend: "Once and again."
Empower: "Overcharge."
Persist: "Unlimited cosmic powah!"
Maximize: "Turned up to 11."
Quicken: "3 2 1 GO!"

Rorrik
2011-12-07, 12:02 PM
"Verify my wrath!"
"Was there ever any question?"
"Let me heat things up a bit."
"Cower, Dogs!"

Zigg'rrauglurr
2011-12-07, 12:32 PM
How come no one suggested:

- Klatu Verrata Nicto!
(or it's close friend Klatu Verrata *cough*to)

Also, let's see if anyone remembers these.
- "Father Wind, fill my wings" (Nice for Fly, or Overland flight)
- Pergamentum
- Savanti aurus!
- Muto aurum, savanti

:smalltongue:

jaybird
2011-12-07, 02:15 PM
Extend: "Once and again."
Empower: "Overcharge."
Persist: "Unlimited cosmic powah!"
Maximize: "Turned up to 11."
Quicken: "3 2 1 GO!"

Ooh, I like these, though personally, "3, 2, GO!" suits Quicken better. Mind if I contribute?

Persistent: "Not...done...yet!"
Searing: "Fight fire with fire."
Widen: "You, you, you, and...you."
Twin: "More where that came from."
Intensify: "Kaboom."
Silent: "..."

Necroticplague
2011-12-07, 02:49 PM
Ooh, I like these, though personally, "3, 2, GO!" suits Quicken better. Mind if I contribute?

Persistent: "Not...done...yet!"
Searing: "Fight fire with fire."
Widen: "You, you, you, and...you."
Twin: "More where that came from."
Intensify: "Kaboom."
Silent: "..."

Actually, I kinda like the idea of metamagic adding things too.

Explosive: "Bang"
Fell Drain: "Fall"
Primitive: "RHHARRRR"
Echo: "Come Back"

QuidEst
2011-12-07, 04:39 PM
(under breath) "Please let this work… please let this work… please let this work…"
I kind of really want a sorcerer who does that now. XD

"Iyay Astcay Ajicmay Isslemay!"

Shakespeare and various poems ("The Hollow Men" comes to mind) have some good lines. A tad Bardish, but any excuse to shout "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!" should be taken. From "The Hollow Men", "Shape without form, shade without colour, paralysed force, gesture without motion" has any number of uses, and there's plenty of other stuff to pick at.

The Glyphstone
2011-12-07, 08:28 PM
Persistent: "This is the spell that never ends..."
Chain: "...for everybody!"

Pokonic
2011-12-07, 09:05 PM
My. Will. Be. DONE! (time stop, or somthing realy epic, like casting Eruption on a volcano or something.)

In the name of the Prince of Many Colors, none shall pass! (Prismatic veil)

Feed, my pets! (summons, usualy something blobby with tenticals.)

None have killed me before. I doubt you will. (Caste buffing spell.)

I see you. ( Any sort of long-distance communiation spell. Freaks players out.)

To the Nine Hells with You! (Plane Shift.)

I see the future. You are not in it. (Guess?)

Do not worry, young fighter. Every group of people needs there outcasts. (Mind Rape. When said by a fallen defender of good. Realy hit the party hard when there teacher was turned evil that early in the game and there was nothing they could do about it.)

blackjack217
2011-12-07, 09:15 PM
Conjuration: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

Analytica
2011-12-07, 09:25 PM
I once had a pair of custom fear spells for a character (necromancer, now Ponytared). Single-target and group. Their names were literally "Let me show you something..." and "Run, you fools!"

Cirrylius
2011-12-07, 09:38 PM
Put it together from Enochian phrases (http://www.occult100.com/bos/enochian.txt)?
Careful. John Dee had his arm broken by an earth elemental for accidentally summoning it by careless use of Enochian.

If you know the Big Bad is on single digits...

"May your first day in hell last ten thousand years. And may it be the shortest."

And my personal favorite, when killing an evil priest who REALLY pissed me off...

"Do not think that you will escape my full vengeance in death. You have failed your God. Utterly. You will be cast from his presence to wander the Burning Plain, a broken, gibbering horror, shorn of memory and purpose and reason. But I...? I will continue on, stronger and wiser with every passing year. The grave will be VERY long in coming for me. So know, before you die, that I will not forget you. One day, I will have time enough to attend to you as you deserve. One day, after years of torment and degradation, after centuries of misery and hopeless yearning, a shadow will fall upon you. You will peer up into a blazing Abyssal sky, and I will be standing there, waiting for you. And I will smile. And you will know that, even after your untold years of suffering...

...your eternity has only just begun."

Sorry, I know that's not really a Somatic component, but after seeing Varsuvius' shpiel I just couldn't resist.

TheJudicator
2011-12-07, 10:04 PM
I see the future. You are not in it. (Guess?)

Oooh....I'm going to have to guess True Strike on that one... (my group uses a "called shot" rule that will grant an autokill on most anything at the cost of an attack penalty...that spell kinda nulls that point :P )

Also, surprised people liked the idea of metamagic tags! I'm quite flattered, thank you :)

And now for some more:

Still: "Watch me"
Heighten: "Pump it up!"
Repeat (forgive me if it doesn't exist): "Once more, with feeling!"

BladeofObliviom
2011-12-07, 10:59 PM
An old favourite of mine from the NWN games: "May the earth take you!"

I've made my own variations by replacing the word 'earth' with whatever is appropriate for the character (ice, sea, fire, winds, storm, wilds, fiends, etc).

Oh, this a billion times. I played NWN2 as a Paladin with the Reserved Guardian voice. I also have a habit of repeatedly clicking enemies. Needless to say, I heard this line no less than eleventy million times.

"Behold your fate, creatures of darkness! Your demise is at hand, for I wield arcane power beyond your feeble goblin reasoning! The forces of the very cosmos are mine to command, and yet still you cannot comprehend the dark dismal end in store for you and your wicked compatriots. Nay! Your little brains can only leave you gasping in horror as I bend reality to my very will! The magic I wield is capable of rending asunder the universe – nay, the whole of the multiverse, and in fact is wasted on such pitiful creatures as yourself. But I shall bring it to bear nonetheless, and you shall rue the day I chose to wreak such unimaginable havoc on your lives with the sheer power of my arcane works. And lo, in days and years to come, when the children come to play in the smoking crater that once held your den of evil, they shall know nothing of your wickedness, but all shall feel the echoes of the power…"

"I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds with enough time left over to move 30 feet. I am capable of manipulating matter and energy on a subatomic level by speaking. A mere flick of my finger is sufficient to alter the gravitational pull of the planet. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics loose guidelines at best! In short, I am grasping the reins of the universe's carriage, and every morning I wake up, look to the heavens, and shout, "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!"

These are great too. :smallbiggrin:

El Dorado
2011-12-07, 11:12 PM
Visionaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visionaries:_Knights_of_the_Magical_Light) is a great source. Gargoyles (http://gargoyles-fans.org/characters/spells.htm) also had some great spells.

Cerlis
2011-12-07, 11:32 PM
Modify the comment from saints row 3.

"How do you plan to deal with zombies?"

"Shotguns are said to work."

No brains
2011-12-08, 12:20 AM
Fart.

Or any rude noise. Makes surprising verbal component when you raise your arms, drop your mouth and rip one.

Others are...
Pointing, opening your mouth and making that noise from invasion of the body snatchers.

The Godzilla roar. Hard to do.

Any rock/metal lyrics. Carry on my wayward son; Exit light/ Enter night; I am iron man; whatever.

Flip open to a random page from any book and read the first sentence you see like you're serious about casting a spell.

I had an idea for a not-wimpy bard who when performing countersong just screamed at the top of their lungs for a whole minute.

And my personal favorite, for casting the most overpowered spell of all time.
(Predictably rude; nsfw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ROtsk1VcHU

Jay R
2011-12-08, 06:54 PM
I don't expect most people on this thread to be old enough to recognize these, but:

"Zip, zam, zowie, and swoosh!"

"Sim, sim, salla bim!"

And for any spell used to retreat:
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome,
Time for this one to come home."

Rorrik
2011-12-08, 06:57 PM
"Sim, sim, salla bim!"
Jonny Quest! What was his name? Hojie?

Ulysses WkAmil
2011-12-08, 07:08 PM
A personal favorite: "Thor's lighting, up your ___!"
Cartman's famous quote: "Looks like you're about to get pwned"
Or a classic "I shall SMITE thee!"

Analytica
2011-12-08, 07:19 PM
Careful. John Dee had his arm broken by an earth elemental for accidentally summoning it by careless use of Enochian.

I personally don't believe anything like that works except maybe as self-hypnosis. Not sure how much we can discuss our respective views on real-world occult beliefs under the board rules, though. I have had much fun adapting such systems to games (much like D&D Binders use the Goetic seals with few changes - imagine if Tome of Magic had been released twenty years earlier...), such as constructing chants for a Lasombra Abyss-summoning ceremony in a vampire LARP session by looking up numerological correspondences to the names of the various qlippoth. I also at one point had a contest with a friend where we PM:d each other Enochian pick-up lines... :smallredface:

Cirrylius
2011-12-08, 10:00 PM
I personally don't believe anything like that works except maybe as self-hypnosis.:
I know. It's apocryphal. I'm just sayin'.

Skelengar
2011-12-08, 11:54 PM
My friend created Hebrew incantations for all his spells. I can't recall any off the top of my head, but True Strike translates as "Be straight, be true."

I myself have used "I've never done this before. I swear, if I get a ****ing aneurism... *ahem* The grass at your feet will writhe like this snake!" for my ranger's first and only spell.

horngeek
2011-12-08, 11:54 PM
If it's a Force spell:

FUS RO DAH!

:smallbiggrin:

Shoot Da Moon
2011-12-09, 06:38 AM
If you're playing an evil jerk; "CURSE-YOU-MA-HA!!"

Choco
2011-12-09, 09:34 AM
Usually it all depends on the spell.

Black Tentacles: TENTACLE RAPE!
Any Ray spell: Pew! (one per ray, so if I do 10 at once, say it 10 times!)
Fireball: BOOM!
Any electricity spell: This may be a bit shocking, but...
Silence: SHUT THE F**K UP!
Any of the Finger spells: FINGER BANG!
Polymorph (on myself): You wouldn't like me when I'm angry
etc.

Or, if I am using a metamagic rod: OPEN WIDE AND SUCK ON MY ROD!

Cirrylius
2011-12-09, 10:32 AM
I myself have used "I've never done this before. I swear, if I get a ****ing aneurism...

:smallbiggrin:Brilliant.

Xyk
2011-12-09, 12:24 PM
One bard in a campaign I was in ended up naked with nothing but a Rod of Wonder (not part of his body). This was intended to be the last session of this campaign due to the GM getting bored with GMing. We were in a sort of arena set up by mindflayers (above ground for whatever reason) and we were running out of steam. We decided to all attack the spectators at once.

Bard- "Suck my ****!" *uses rod of wonder at the leader*
Bard turns invisible thanks to the dice and is the only character to escape.

theflyingkitty
2011-12-09, 07:23 PM
It should also be noted that it can be sometimes hard to find the TIME in certain encounters to say things of any note. More of the "I fear for my life so I'll just strike you down."

Interesting ones might be...

"Behave!" *strike/zap*
"By the sons of ank'Morpork!" *cleaning spell*

"Parsley!" *random something*

"Who said bowties aren't cool?" / "Bowties are cool!" *clothing spell of some sort*

Rakmakallan
2011-12-10, 05:27 AM
I used to cast spells with "Fus ro dah", then I took an arrow in the knee.

Spam aside, you could try some vaguely relevant pseudo-poetic incantation like kidou in Bleach.
Lightning bolt: "Brothers unseen beyond the clouds, sisters evermore bound in wind/ The rift of elements, the searing scalds/ A spear glinting and piercing in through storms/ LIGHTNING BOLT"

GungHo
2011-12-10, 09:38 AM
I've been known to shout a good sim sim salabim, shazam, and a "pow, sucka!" myself.

One of the guys we play with does Ultima (http://textfiles.com/adventure/ult6spls.txt) spells.

Timur
2011-12-10, 10:25 AM
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum"

Loren Ipsun for the win.

Wyntonian
2011-12-10, 01:31 PM
Someday, I'll play a wizard who doesn't roleplay a high intelligence at all, and just shout "HERP DERP DERP!" every time I cast a spell.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-10, 01:34 PM
If it's a water-based spell, say "Splish! Splash! I was taking a bath!":smallwink:

QuidEst
2011-12-10, 02:10 PM
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum"

Loren Ipsun for the win.

Indeed. XP It's great to intone using classical Latin pronunciation. The BBEG can rattle off a whole paragraph of the stuff during the course of a fight!

JohnnyCancer
2011-12-10, 02:19 PM
Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light had the heroes and villains say a catchy phrase when they wanted to use their staves. Some of these could easily be used in RPGs:

"Whispered secrets of a shattered age, I summon you: renew this sage!"
"By what creeps, what crawls, by what does not; let all that grows recede and rot!"
"By nature's hand, by craft, by art; what once was one now fly apart!"
"Three suns aligned pour forth their light and fill the archer's bow with might!"
"Sheathe these feet in the driving gale, Make swift these legs o'er land I sail!"
"By warmth of heart, your pain I feel. Grant me the power, your wounds to heal!"
"The arrows turn, the swords rebel; let nothing pierce this mortal shell!"

Re'ozul
2011-12-10, 02:55 PM
I like to make up my own verbal components. As such they are always different.
Though I only got to do it twice i think so far as I usually play warlock types.

Halt undead (on a skeleton):
"Bones that you move without consent of the will of the one who once resided with you: CEASE"

Aura of vitality:
"Beings of greatness unknown, powers of strenght unfathomed, grant us this small boon so that we may stand against those that defile the world."

that sort of thing.

Siosilvar
2011-12-10, 03:11 PM
Baldur's gate had a different incantation for each of the spell schools. You could take a look at those perhaps? Unfortunately I couldn't find any links to movies that have only the incantations.

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"
2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"
3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"
4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"
5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"
6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"
7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"
8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

El Dorado
2011-12-10, 04:09 PM
1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"
2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"
4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"
5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"
6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"
7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"
8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

I didn't know they used actual latin for the incantations. Very cool.

Heliomance
2011-12-10, 05:14 PM

Is that without as in not in possession of, or without as in the opposite of within?

BladeofObliviom
2011-12-10, 05:25 PM
Is that without as in not in possession of, or without as in the opposite of within?

It would be the former. Careo means 'I lack.'

Lord Raziere
2011-12-10, 05:27 PM
Hold Portal: You shall not pass.

BladeofObliviom
2011-12-10, 05:33 PM

Actually, I use that one for Wall of Force. :smallamused:

No brains
2011-12-10, 08:29 PM

Actually, I use that one for Wall of Force. :smallamused:

Hellooooo! Magic Circle Against Evil! That's exactly what Gandalf was doing there!

Siosilvar
2011-12-11, 06:15 PM
I didn't know they used actual latin for the incantations. Very cool.

It is actual latin, but IIRC they're not actual sentences, just three related words.

Necroticplague
2011-12-11, 10:12 PM
It is actual latin, but IIRC they're not actual sentences, just three related words.

As long as one of them is a verb and at least one is a noun (or conjugated verb to indicate subject in non-english languages), then does make it a sentence, since all sentences are modifications of "[Subject] [Action] (secondary object(s))."

Cirrylius
2011-12-12, 08:27 AM
since all sentences are modifications of "[Subject] [Action] (secondary object(s))."
Modifications, yes. That doesn't mean they translate straight from Latin to English properly just by stringing them together. The case, gender, and number have to match, for one thing. "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" I believe translates as "uncertain, beautiful (or the uncertain, the beautiful) to/for command(noun)".

theflyingkitty
2011-12-12, 07:16 PM
Found one to use derived from DEATH from the Discworld series. though, edited to make sense.

"Let the searing winds of eternity scortch thy worthless carcass!"

Cirrylius
2011-12-12, 08:15 PM
Heh. "IF YOU GO AWAY I WILL GIVE YOU SOME MONEY."

Silma
2011-12-13, 07:28 PM
For Meteor Swarm: Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurhoth!
This is the rain of fire spell that Gandalf cast in the fellowship of the ring.
it's actual meaning is: Fire be for saving of us! Fire against the werewolf-host!
(which is kind of irrelevant)

Silva Stormrage
2011-12-13, 09:24 PM
Neverwinter has some great generic quotes for this.

I want to see... suffering...
Taste my POWER.
Once more into the breach! (This one is more for gishes)

No brains
2011-12-15, 12:34 PM
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Bu ffalo_buffalo)

Or, if you want to turn it up to eleven:

Shíshì shīshì Shī Shì, shì shī, shì shí shí shī.
Shì shíshí shì shì shì shī.
Shí shí, shì shí shī shì shì.
Shì shí, shì Shī Shì shì shì.
Shì shì shì shí shī, shì shǐ shì, shǐ shì shí shī shìshì.
Shì shí shì shí shī shī, shì shíshì.
Shíshì shī, Shì shǐ shì shì shíshì.
Shíshì shì, Shì shǐ shì shí shì shí shī.
Shí shí, shǐ shí shì shí shī, shí shí shí shī shī.
Shì shì shì shì. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion-Eating_Poet_in_the_Stone_Den)

Stripedshadow
2011-12-15, 03:20 PM
Here's a funny one:

Hullabaloo and howdy do,
Musty prawns and Timbuktu.
Yeltsyby and hippity-poo.
Kick 'em in the dishpan, hoo, hoo, hoo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5lXJoeEozc)

And who could forget King Ramses' Curse? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pepAEyNfGQQ)

Zale
2011-12-15, 04:12 PM
Here's a funny one:

Hullabaloo and howdy do,
Musty prawns and Timbuktu.
Yeltsyby and hippity-poo.
Kick 'em in the dishpan, hoo, hoo, hoo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5lXJoeEozc)

I'll use that the next time I cast dismissal. :smallbiggrin:

theflyingkitty
2011-12-15, 07:48 PM
Maybe...

"I cast thee into the abyss of eternal suffering"

which could be spiced up and turned funnier with mention of whatever...

"I cast the into the abyss of fluffy bunnies" ...or something

jackattack
2011-12-17, 12:41 PM
Go to your medicine cabinet.

Read (or look up) the chemical names of the medicines you find there.

Adapt as needed.

Skelengar
2011-12-18, 02:18 AM

Adapt as needed.

"Methylphenidate!"

tordirycgoyust
2011-12-18, 10:00 AM

Adapt as needed.

Also, Pokemon and Ancient Historians.

Tamorax Vulpix Thucydides!

jebob
2011-12-18, 03:46 PM
FOR PONY!

Seconded.

Also, if for some obscure reason you timestop and then melee someone with a hammer:

"STOP. Hammertime!"

Socratov
2011-12-20, 04:37 AM
go here (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Jutsu), and compare spells to techniques. presto, you have something to shout while casting and being awesome...

edit: might fit best for a shugenja or wu jen

ShadowFighter15
2011-12-20, 06:15 AM
"Oi; smegheads!"

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-12-20, 06:30 AM
Honestly, I think this sort of thing works just as well for ToB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=520mME1J30w)

I like the incant for Resurrection found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUX3u-QtjY4).

Pokonic
2011-12-21, 03:15 PM
Stop. Think for a moment. You are a goblin with a stick. I am a man who can bend time to his will. I am not your enemy. Go fight your true foe.( Dominate)

Athema Athema nemis, Ateema Atheis nemus, Aclisho thema nuiunas, aclishco ninias tendas..... (Summoning a Elder Evil. Dont ask.)

By the lords of the elder age, you shall not fight your way in! (Summons Dinosaurs. Lots of them. Think gigantic advanced ones. Several with the half-dragon template.

SlashRunner
2011-12-21, 09:50 PM
FUS RO DAH

mikeejimbo
2011-12-21, 10:04 PM
All right, I don't do this while casting but my latest character likes to cry "I'll kill you with my bear hands!" before attacking someone. (Because he is a polar bear, by the way. That is the pun.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-21, 10:06 PM
Black Tentacles: I hope you like hentai ...
Freez-y spell: Lets kick some ice!
Zap-y or blast-y spell: *Makes "gun" gesture with hand.* Bang!
Explode-y spell: FWAKOOM!

Usually it all depends on the spell.

Black Tentacles: TENTACLE RAPE!
Any Ray spell: Pew! (one per ray, so if I do 10 at once, say it 10 times!)
Fireball: BOOM!
Any electricity spell: This may be a bit shocking, but...
Silence: SHUT THE F**K UP!
Any of the Finger spells: FINGER BANG!
Polymorph (on myself): You wouldn't like me when I'm angry
etc.

Or, if I am using a metamagic rod: OPEN WIDE AND SUCK ON MY ROD!
You sound like the collective voice of my Castles & Crusades group.

pfz555
2011-12-22, 12:08 AM
Much to the ire of my DM I tend to just shout really loudly for 5 minutes like a super saiyan before declaring my spell.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH Cure Minor Wounds *heals 1 HP*"

horngeek
2011-12-22, 07:37 AM
FUS RO DAH

Did that one first. :smalltongue:

That only works for Force Spells, though.

For a fire spell: YOL TOOR SHOL
Ice: FO KRAH DIIN
Aaaand so on. :smalltongue:

kaiguy
2011-12-22, 11:11 AM
I like to play a really scholarly wizard, who uses really big archaic words for his spells. So, Fireball is "Mass Atmospheric Phlogistonation." Then when the spell gets going the scholar's hat comes off and in a much higher pitched voice he screams "BURRRNNNNN!"