PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Narcissist-Synthesist Character Idea

Zeborazor
2011-12-04, 06:45 PM
So awhile ago I saw someone post a small character idea and I was interested. So here it is:

The Eidolon suit is basically his "ideal" form. The normal man being physically weak. His Eidolon morphs to fit what his mind perceives. So when his Eidolon is on he appears almost like a Greek god, as that's the way he imagines himself. My question is do you think I should go with a Natural attack build? This may mean more arms, and claws and fangs. Which kinda distorts the "ideal" form, unless he begins to see himself as monstrous and savage.

Or should I go with a weapon build? Suits it a little more but is it as practical?

I've just looked over Summoner, so I'm just wondering what you guys think on both the build and on the general character concept. I would love to hear what you guys have to say. And any insights into the Synthesist summoner in general would be greatly appreciated!

Urpriest
2011-12-04, 06:53 PM
This feels more like a Champion (homebrew class by the Giant) than a Synthesist Summoner really.

Zeborazor
2011-12-04, 07:07 PM
Well as you can imagine we are not using homebrew classes, but thanks for the comment I suppose? Haha.

CTrees
2011-12-04, 07:24 PM
On a character with a semi-similar concept, the PC was basically female, but obviously unnatural (befitting the outsider staus). In general, this was difficult to figure out what was wrong, but her nails were razor sharp (and she wore robes-hands concealable in them). Smaller claws, yes, but still visible if one looked, and they fit mechanically. When I gave her reach, I worked it out as a dhalsim-like effect (since it ONLY applied to claws, not melee weapons, as oversized arms would imply)-fit with that "beautiful, but obviously unnatural" vibe I was going for. The more one looked, the more the outsider showed through.

Alternatively... I don't know that one can, RAW, forgoe claws, but I believe a slam attack can be taken which will remove the claws. Unfortunately... I believe you still pay for the evolution. You may be able to convince you DM to let you not take the free claws.

Bite and similar other, very good evolutions? Those are harder to justify with an adonis style character. Maybe an anime-style called attack, with "spiritual energy" or some such forming the attacks? Just don't take swallow whole... :smallwink:

Curious
2011-12-04, 07:32 PM
Use a build that involves using a lot of arms for attacks, and ask your DM to let you reflavor it as you being ridiculously fast. Grab experimental spellcaster so you can use accelerate to move and full attack, and use arcane strike to freely enchant your dozens of weapons.

panaikhan
2011-12-05, 08:38 AM
Use a build that involves using a lot of arms for attacks, and ask your DM to let you reflavor it as you being ridiculously fast. Grab experimental spellcaster so you can use accelerate to move and full attack, and use arcane strike to freely enchant your dozens of weapons.
Anyone else get a flashback of E.Honda when they read this? :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-12-05, 08:52 AM
The Limbs evolution allows weapon use by default, if they are proficient with them ,which the Weapon Training evolution gives.
Get lots of arms and go Kali on thy enemies.
Perhaps your Summoner does not have a human ideal of beauty.
Perhaps they are something of a transhumanist.
It's twisting the concept a little, but could potentially work.

Zeborazor
2011-12-05, 11:58 AM
The Limbs evolution allows weapon use by default, if they are proficient with them ,which the Weapon Training evolution gives.
Get lots of arms and go Kali on thy enemies.
Perhaps your Summoner does not have a human ideal of beauty.
Perhaps they are something of a transhumanist.
It's twisting the concept a little, but could potentially work.

I'm liking that idea. As he continues, and gets more evolution points, he becomes more and more twisted and monstrous...

Ideas to ponder.

GodGoblin
2011-12-05, 12:38 PM
Im liking the multi-armed idea, makes me think of pieces Hindu mythology. Perhaps not only is he trying to build a perfect human but a God? Will give you some wiggle room with the aesthetics :smallsmile:

Zeborazor
2011-12-05, 12:43 PM
Im liking the multi-armed idea, makes me think of pieces Hindu mythology. Perhaps not only is he trying to build a perfect human but a God? Will give you some wiggle room with the aesthetics :smallsmile:

Will given his intense Narcissism he probably will come to see himself AS a god. Which as you said leaves the physical appearance a little more open.

Any suggestions on whether or not I should use weapons or just load up on natural attacks?

Ravens_cry
2011-12-05, 12:58 PM
Weapons might be be cheaper from an evolution points perspective as you, I think, need to take the natural weapon evolutions for each set you get, while weapons training only needs to be done once. Combine with Multiweapon Attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat) to taste.
Please excuse any errors in my rules interpretations, I have never played a Summoner.

stack
2011-12-05, 01:14 PM
I don't think a synthesist needs the weapons training evolution if he has the proficiencies from another source (ie simple weapons by default, martial from traits/feats/other classes). The normal eidolon can take martial weapons prof with feats, and the synthesist's eidolon gets no feats, so I assume that you retain all access to your own feats.

GodGoblin
2011-12-06, 05:02 AM
Id say go with weapons too, nothing says divine holiness like a huge perfect humanoid wieding 6 swords :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2011-12-06, 08:45 AM
On a character with a semi-similar concept, the PC was basically female, but obviously unnatural (befitting the outsider staus). In general, this was difficult to figure out what was wrong, but her nails were razor sharp (and she wore robes-hands concealable in them). Smaller claws, yes, but still visible if one looked, and they fit mechanically. When I gave her reach, I worked it out as a dhalsim-like effect (since it ONLY applied to claws, not melee weapons, as oversized arms would imply)-fit with that "beautiful, but obviously unnatural" vibe I was going for. The more one looked, the more the outsider showed through.

Alternatively... I don't know that one can, RAW, forgoe claws, but I believe a slam attack can be taken which will remove the claws. Unfortunately... I believe you still pay for the evolution. You may be able to convince you DM to let you not take the free claws.Or you could just say that the claws appear only when you need them.