PDA

View Full Version : Indian food

hivedragon
2011-12-04, 07:36 PM
There's an Indian restaurant I want to try out, I've never had Indian food before. Are there any dishes you would recommend (to try or avoid)? I don't usually mind spicy.

Weezer
2011-12-04, 07:40 PM
There's an Indian restaurant I want to try out, I've never had Indian food before. Are there any dishes you would recommend (to try or avoid)? I don't usually mind spicy.

Just make sure that if you're asked how spicy you want things, don't say you want them hot. I love spicy foods and said that once. Bad choice. I was in tears for the vast majority of the meal (of course I had to eat all of it, I'm too stubborn not to...)

Curry is a traditional dish, which I really enjoy and it (especially red curry) can be spicy.

Tebryn
2011-12-04, 07:42 PM
It depends on the region they're cooking from. Tandoori Chicken is always a safe bet however. Aloo Paratha is always wonderful as well. Ask for some Tamarind Chutney if you've got a chance.

comicshorse
2011-12-04, 07:43 PM
I'd avoid Phall's, they are IMHO just spicy for the sake of it without actually improving the taste and if you've never tried a curry before will be too much.

Tebryn
2011-12-04, 07:50 PM
I'd avoid Phall's, they are IMHO just spicy for the sake of it without actually improving the taste and if you've never tried a curry before will be too much.

Phalls are also not actual Indian food, they're British food influenced by Indian Cuisine much like Tikka Masala.

Keld Denar
2011-12-04, 08:18 PM
My favorite dish is Vindaloo. It's pretty delicious, especially if you get lamb. I also like tikka massala, but that's not very authentic. Another delicious dish is korma. It's kinda a spinachy kinda goodness.

I might be a bit biased, since I LOVE me some Indian food, but you often can't go wrong. If you really want to get a taste, go for a buffet. Lots of places have lunch or dinner buffets. Then slap down some Naan bread, toss some rice on top of that, and then get a spoonful of everything offered. Get 2nds of the stuff you like, and remeber it to order later when there is no buffet.

valadil
2011-12-04, 08:20 PM
Actually I'd recommend going for the buffet. I've never met an Indian place that didn't do buffet, though I'm sure they exist somewhere. It's the best way to try a bunch of new food all at once and see what you like.

Failing that, chicken tikka masala is my favorite.

Trog
2011-12-04, 08:59 PM
Vindaloo as people have already said. Butter chicken. Oh and naan. Can't forget the naan. I absolutely love curries of all sorts. Rogan Josh is good. Tandoori chicken. For anglo-Indian go with tikka masala and muligatawny soup.

I've made versions of all of these at home (except naan) in addition to many thai curries. They're easy to make once you have the proper ingredients.

I second the vote to order the sampler, if they have such a thing where you go to eat. Try everything! :smallamused:

ForzaFiori
2011-12-04, 09:03 PM
My favorite dish is Vindaloo.

funnily enough, this, like tikka masala, is not really all that authentic of an Indian dish. It's actually Portuguese in origin, that was then influenced by both Indian and British chefs. Still delicious however.

Kneenibble
2011-12-04, 09:07 PM
And for dessert, try the gulab jamun. TRY THEM. Don't, however, as I once did, get sucked into a gulab jamen eating contest: unless you want to wind up buzzing around a hotel lobby as if you're some kind of hummingbird.

Tebryn
2011-12-04, 09:13 PM
You mean Gulab Jamun :smallwink:

Kneenibble
2011-12-04, 09:14 PM
Certainly not, what I meant was gulab jamun. :smallwink:

Anarion
2011-12-04, 09:16 PM
I would note that Vindaloo is usually one of the spiciest options, so although it's also one of the best-tasting, I'm not sure I would recommend it for a first time.

I'm a fan of Saag Ghosht (probably spelling that wrong) which is lamb with spinach and is always really good. And as others have said, get lots of Naan.

Tebryn
2011-12-04, 09:16 PM
Of course I would have to do that. :smallredface:

Mephibosheth
2011-12-04, 09:22 PM
Indian food is really really diverse, and what dishes are good depends greatly on the style of cuisine the chefs are good at cooking. If they're south Indian, I can't recommend masala dosa enough. It's a thin, crispy rice crepe stuffed with a mix of potatoes, onions, and spices. Fantastic.

Again, depending on the chef's specialty, biryani can be amazing. It's a rice pilaf dish with heavy Central Asian influence and each region in India has different variations. Hyderabadi biryani (from Indian Hyderabad, not Pakistani Hyderabad) is my favorite, but I've heard good things about Lucknow-style biryani as well. Most of them are pretty good, however, and they won't differentiate the style on the menu. I usually prefer my biryani with chicken, lamb, or mutton, but it's good vegetarian as well.

I also like some of the staples like channa masala (chickpeas in a red curry sauce, often with a few other vegetables thrown in), aalo gobi (potatoes and cauliflower in a curry sauce), and dal (lentils and vegetables in any number of different flavored sauces).

Finally, if the restaurant offers it, I really enjoy Afghan food. It's especially good if you like meat, since there's not a ton of vegetarian Afghan food, but their meat dishes are fantastic. Qabuli pulao (rice pilaf with carrots, raisins, and meat), sikh tikka (seasoned grilled meat on skewers), and kofta (Afghan meatballs) are all fantastic.

I will also cautiously second the suggestion of the buffet, especially if you've never had Indian food before. You can sample a little of everything. However, the quality of each individual dish is probably going to be a little lower than if you had ordered that dish from the menu, if only because they've been sitting out for a while on the buffet. But they're usually still good, so don't let that scare you off.

Edit: One other thing I forgot. Don't worry about trying to order "authentic" Indian food. Most Indian food, even the most iconic and "traditional" are heavily influenced by cuisine from other parts of the world. Even the classics rely on vegetables and spices (like potatoes and tomatoes) that aren't native to India. British and Portuguese and Central Asian and Middle Eastern and Chinese and Southeast Asian cuisines have all brought something interesting and delicious to various Indian dishes. Get what you think sounds good and don't worry about trying to have an "authentic" Indian experience.

Lhurgyof
2011-12-04, 09:53 PM
We have a new Indian restaurant around here too, and I've been curious to try it. My girlfriend doesn't want to try it though, so I guess it's a guy's night out type of thing.

shadow_archmagi
2011-12-04, 09:57 PM
Vindaloo is also one of the most fun things to SAY, so there's ten points right there

Lateral
2011-12-04, 10:24 PM
My favorite Indian dish is probably mattar paneer served either with naan or over basmati rice. It isn't a particularly spicy dish, though, so if you're in the mood for something spicier you might want a different dish- you could go with another kind of curry, or just something else entirely. (Personally, I prefer Thai curries to most Indian curries other than mattar paneer, although if I were presented with a well-prepared mattar paneer and a well-prepared yellow curry, I probably wouldn't have a serious preference.) I wouldn't know about vindaloo, tikka masala, or tandoori chicken, though, but if other people are recommending them then sure, go ahead. Gulab jamun is wonderful, but make sure not to order too many; those things are dense. I know some people who like to eat it in kheer, but it kind of ruins it for me by diluting the syrup and making an already crazy sweet dessert almost too sweet; feel free to try it, though.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-12-04, 11:26 PM
Just order random things. It's all good. Well, if you're at a good place, that is. I like creamed spinach, myself. Aloo Gobi is also a great one.

Winter_Wolf
2011-12-04, 11:28 PM
I've really never had bad Indian food. Well, unless you count the buffet, but I think that was more a problem with being buffet food instead of made to order.

I like to start with samosas and dal (lentil soup), and some places give you a wonderful green colored dip which I have thus far failed to replicate by any recipes I can find. My last effort was really bad, completely inedible.

I love naan, no matter how it's done, and always get it with my main dishes. We usually go family style and get a few different curries and a biriyani, with a lassi to drink. I've tried banana, mango, and pineapple lassi so far. I make a pretty decent chai on my own so I see no point in ordering it at a restaurant.

The_Admiral
2011-12-05, 12:52 AM
Have Mamak indian food it is delicious. Roti Canai is good with fish curry. Here it is a custom to mix the fish and chicken curry to lower the spiciness of the fish.

golentan
2011-12-05, 02:31 AM
I'm going to second a few of the comments here: vegetable samosas to start, and Korma or Vindaloo for the main dish is usually my favority-est favorite of them all. If you're good with spice, you have nothing to worry about: most everything is good. Just make sure you get Naan and Raita in case you order it too spicy: really takes the heat off, and also just generally good for dipping and palate cleansing and side dish wonderment.

Totally Guy
2011-12-05, 03:40 AM
One of my little brothers used to dislike going to indian restaurants but I told him that I thought he'd probably like the chicken Bhuna. And he did. Since then he's been happier to try all kinds of indian dishes.

Edit: Chapattis are my preference over naan breads because the naan is more floury and bloats me up.

banjo1985
2011-12-05, 06:03 AM
Mmm indian food...love it. If spiciness isn't a problem you're pretty much alright with everything on the menu, though Phall's are a bit silly as far as spicy-for-the-sake-of-it goes.

I love Paratha myself, and Tandoori Fish. Fish is usually a good call for spice-hounds, because the flakier moister flesh of fish takes in the tandoori spice better than chicken or lamb, so it tends to be a lot hotter.

Liffguard
2011-12-05, 06:29 AM
Also for consideration, regardless of the dish you order, mango chutney is the perfect accompaniment.

Ashtar
2011-12-05, 07:01 AM
I'm a big fan of Biryani (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biryani), there are many styles of them, but the main idea is the layering of flavoured rice and main dish to create a subtle and delicious mix!

Mercenary Pen
2011-12-05, 09:03 AM
Dopiaza is also quite nice (name translates- I'm told- as two onions)...

arguskos
2011-12-05, 10:12 AM
I love naan, no matter how it's done, and always get it with my main dishes. We usually go family style and get a few different curries and a biriyani, with a lassi to drink. I've tried banana, mango, and pineapple lassi so far. I make a pretty decent chai on my own so I see no point in ordering it at a restaurant.
How in the name of all that is good and right in this world did it take until post #20 to mention lassi?! Lassi, the delicious drink of glory.

Also, really, you can basically eat anything from India and enjoy it. I tend towards the chicken and lamb dishes alongside various colors and styles of curry, all piled onto jasmine rice and some naan (in the words of that dude from Futurama, "oh my various gods" naan is awesome hoooooooly smokes). Can't really go wrong.

Also^2, LASSI SO GOOOOOOD AUUUUGH

Totally Guy
2011-12-05, 12:12 PM
How in the name of all that is good and right in this world did it take until post #20 to mention lassi?! Lassi, the delicious drink of glory.

Probably because the thread is called Indian Food and that's clearly a drink. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2011-12-05, 12:15 PM
Probably because the thread is called Indian Food and that's clearly a drink. :smalltongue:
butbutbut... lassi! It's practically its own food group (or should be, anyways; I will call it the Island of Awesome and it shall be delicious)! :smalltongue:

Bhu
2011-12-05, 03:53 PM
SAMOSAS!:smallcool:

Keld Denar
2011-12-05, 08:12 PM
I used to go to this little place in Tacoma often, and I used to tease the chef that the last time he made me Vindaloo, it wasn't quite spicy enough. We got up into the 9-10 star range (on a 5 star rating scale, with 1 being not and 5 being "native") before he finally gave up. He stopped adding curry and started adding chillies. Vindaloo is normally a burnt red color. Mine was bright bright orange. If you breathed wrong while you ate it, it would make you choke, but as long as it hit the proper spots on your tongue, it just made my eyes water, nose run, and my forehead sweat.

I love getting my curry that hot. It gives you this nice little slow burn in your belly that keeps you warm for the next couple hours at least. Mmmmmm....

Yanagi
2011-12-05, 11:16 PM

Rogan Gosht/Rogan Josh - basically the Kashmiri dish--mediocre versions are good, excellent ones are sublime . Not especially hot, it's lamb slow-cooking in a sauce primarily made of Kashmiri chiles...which are not especially hot, but very flavorful. Not-so-good versions use yoghurt.

Palak Paneeer/Saag Paneer - spinach and cubed farm cheese with a few spices. It's a personal favorite, and with some naan it's comfort food.

Aloo methi - Potato with fenugreek leaves. A green you might not have had before, methi is sort of like purslane, but with this rich almost sweet aroma and just a little bit of bitterness.

And I second the recommendation of Gulab Jamun and Dosas.

Edit: One other thing I forgot. Don't worry about trying to order "authentic" Indian food. Most Indian food, even the most iconic and "traditional" are heavily influenced by cuisine from other parts of the world. Even the classics rely on vegetables and spices (like potatoes and tomatoes) that aren't native to India. British and Portuguese and Central Asian and Middle Eastern and Chinese and Southeast Asian cuisines have all brought something interesting and delicious to various Indian dishes. Get what you think sounds good and don't worry about trying to have an "authentic" Indian experience.

Indian food is also very regional--different areas have different flavors, often based on a combination of what's available plus the layered cultural influences--and not every region is represented on menus. The standard of menu of the generic "Indian" restaurant is a mix of Punjabi (a cultural region that crosses India and Pakistan) and Mughlai (the cuisine associated with the Mughal dynasty, influenced by Afghan and Iranian flavors) classic dishes plus Balti favorites (which are Pakistani-British). All of these are crowd-pleasers because of their richness, heartiness and complexity--it's all great food.

I like to start with samosas and dal (lentil soup), and some places give you a wonderful green colored dip which I have thus far failed to replicate by any recipes I can find. My last effort was really bad, completely inedible.

1.5 cups cilantro
.5 cup mint
2 or 3 green chiles (or serranos...not quite the same but close)
2 inches of peeled ginger, cut to chunks
half a red onion
juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon sugar
.5 teaspoon salt
.25 cup water

Blend together...it may take mutliple grinds to get everything smooth--actually, you might want to grind down the ginger and onion first, then add the rest. Adjust taste by tinkering with salt and sugar. I've not had much success keeping it for long stretches in the fridge...the herb taste dwindles and the color dulls.

I occasionally thrown in a few basil leaves or a handful of fresh tarragon.

Kneenibble
2011-12-05, 11:31 PM
Oh my God, Mughlai. Of course. There was a Mughlai restaurant in Chennai I went to that served me some of the best food I've ever eaten.

Chunks of paneer, rubbed with spices and grilled in the tandoori, and then dal murkhani (I think?) -- a dal of black gram and red kidney beans in a rich sauce of butter and tomatoes, and of course buttered naan and Kingfisher beer.

DAT DAL.

Followed by an after-dinner thingy of strange nameless pungent flavours wrapped in a betel leaf that left my head filled with sublime fumes.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-12-05, 11:38 PM
Followed by an after-dinner thingy of strange nameless pungent flavours wrapped in a betel leaf that left my head filled with sublime fumes.

Ooooh, Paan? Paan isn't good for you. *nods sagely* Carcinogens and all that.

Interesting cuisine: Hakka cuisine, or Indian Chinese cuisine. IT'S SO GOOD.

Yanagi
2011-12-06, 12:04 AM
Oh my God, Mughlai. Of course. There was a Mughlai restaurant in Chennai I went to that served me some of the best food I've ever eaten.

Chunks of paneer, rubbed with spices and grilled in the tandoori, and then dal murkhani (I think?) -- a dal of black gram and red kidney beans in a rich sauce of butter and tomatoes, and of course buttered naan and Kingfisher beer.

Makhani...literally, buttery. Awesome stuff.

paddyfool
2011-12-06, 08:59 AM
I used to go to this little place in Tacoma often, and I used to tease the chef that the last time he made me Vindaloo, it wasn't quite spicy enough. We got up into the 9-10 star range (on a 5 star rating scale, with 1 being not and 5 being "native") before he finally gave up. He stopped adding curry and started adding chillies. Vindaloo is normally a burnt red color. Mine was bright bright orange. If you breathed wrong while you ate it, it would make you choke, but as long as it hit the proper spots on your tongue, it just made my eyes water, nose run, and my forehead sweat.

I love getting my curry that hot. It gives you this nice little slow burn in your belly that keeps you warm for the next couple hours at least. Mmmmmm....

Impressive. But this lady still wins. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/5139845/Woman-rubs-chilli-pepper-seeds-in-her-eyes-after-setting-new-world-record.html)

Winter_Wolf
2011-12-06, 12:39 PM

Was that the place down on 6th Ave nearish UPS? That place was pretty good. It's been about 10 years since I've been there. One of my college buddies threw down the "I can handle any spice, don't hold back on me" challenge. He won by sheer force of stubbornness. He paid for it later. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2011-12-06, 06:06 PM
Naw, place called Little India inside of Freighthouse Square. It's like a mall food court, except there is no mall, and the only "chain" place is a Subway. The rest of the restaurants are all little local places. The Vietnamese place is my 2nd favorite there, and they can bring the heat as well.

Lateral
2011-12-06, 08:01 PM
Naw, place called Little India inside of Freighthouse Square. It's like a mall food court, except there is no mall, and the only "chain" place is a Subway. The rest of the restaurants are all little local places. The Vietnamese place is my 2nd favorite there, and they can bring the heat as well.

That's probably the most common name for an Indian place ever; there are at least two near within half an hour's drive from my house.

The_Admiral
2011-12-08, 12:05 AM
No it isn't Sri Pandi is the most common name for an indian place ever. There used to be two Sri Pandi's right next to each other near where i live.

golentan
2011-12-08, 02:06 AM
No it isn't Sri Pandi is the most common name for an indian place ever. There used to be two Sri Pandi's right next to each other near where i live.

And Original Nick's and Authentic Nick's, but they all got arrested because of that dead reporter.

Cookie for reference.

teratorn
2011-12-08, 10:38 AM
I travel a lot to Tamil Nadu, and I'd suggest Dosa or uttapam. I'm very partial about idli but that's more of a breakfast food. Of course, being a western restaurant, you'll miss the authenticity of eating with your hand (right one) on banana leaves.

Kneenibble
2011-12-08, 10:53 AM
I travel a lot to Tamil Nadu, and I'd suggest Dosa or uttapam. I'm very partial about idli but that's more of a breakfast food. Of course, being a western restaurant, you'll miss the authenticity of eating with your hand (right one) on banana leaves.

There's a Moghul restaurant in Chennai on the second floor of one of the big hotels. Do you know it? Their drinking glasses are made of beaten copper. If I can't remember the name of the restaurant or the hotel I'm going to go nuts, and it's not coming up on Google.

May I ask what brings you there?

edit Aha! I remembered it! It's called Peshawari and it's in the Sheraton Choli. Have you ever been there?

That's where I had that dal makhani (thank you Yanagi) &c. *drool*

Karoht
2011-12-08, 01:44 PM
Aloo Gobi, Rogan Josh, and Lamb Vindaloo. Careful with the Vindaloo, those babies can get really hot really quick.
Biryani is a basic rice dish, rather flavorful, not too intimidating. If you like Chinese Fried Rice odds are you'd be okay with Biryani.
Also, I happen to really enjoy Goat. Curried goat in any of it's wonderful authentic incarnations is always a treat. Goat tastes much like Lamb, but without that 'mutton funk' as I call it.

thorgrim29
2011-12-08, 03:24 PM
And Original Nick's and Authentic Nick's, but they all got arrested because of that dead reporter.

Cookie for reference.

castle... And these were pizza places

Ravens_cry
2011-12-08, 03:35 PM
I love what Indian food I have tried, a wonderful blend of spicy and flavourful. It's not just heat, though I love heat, it's tasty as well.

golentan
2011-12-08, 04:00 PM
castle... And these were pizza places

In keeping with the thread, here is your Nan Khatai!

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt109/ramya6981/nan-khatai.jpg

Gaius Marius
2011-12-09, 11:40 AM
Can't believe nobody mentioned Onion Bhajit yet! I'd kill for decent Bhajit at the moment...

These for appetizers and a properly made Tandoori chicken, nan bread, is all I need for a happy Indian meal. But i also love all the curries they offer, with a small bonus serving of butter chicken..

... Damn, now I'll have to go walk 15 minutes just to get myself some of these for lunch..

mayceegreene
2013-03-20, 03:45 AM

Spicy food may grow on you. Chicken Biryani with rice is good, raita is a very cooling salad and if you can order carrot halwa or rice pudding, those are very nice. Dip your toe in the shallow end of the water, you may grow to love spicy foods.

Ashtagon
2013-03-20, 03:51 AM
At least in the UK, the "shallow end" hovers around lemon chicken and the various korma dishes. That's where I'd suggest newbies start on Indian food.

Contrary to popular UK belief, most Indian food is not particularly fiery.

Also, don't forget to order a glass of lassi. It's a milk/yoghurt based drink, and is the best thing to keep on hand in case you eat something spicier than you had intended.

Lea Plath
2013-03-20, 04:11 AM
Does this place have an online menu we could have a peek at?

To open with, Lassi is always lovely. A nice drink and good for heat.

Starter wise, I love poppadoms (or papadums, depending on where you live), pakora, bhajis, samosas and dips. Lime pickle or mango chutney are good dips too.

Kormas are a nice basic curry. Lots of flavour, not much heat. I also quite like Bhunas.

Cikomyr
2013-03-20, 07:30 AM
THREAD FROM THE GRAVE!!

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/turnundead01_4018.png

I BANISH THEE

kpenguin
2013-03-20, 12:44 PM
The Modguin: Thread locked