PDA

View Full Version : Changing Cure Spells, and the unforeseen consequences.

thompur
2011-12-04, 09:12 PM
Something has always bothered me about the various “cure” spells, and I want to address them in my campaign. Especially in the early levels, classes with smaller HD (d4, d6) get much greater benefit from the spells than the d10 & d12 classes. So I was considering changing the spells to heal Hit Dice of damage rather than a flat d8+x. So a rogue would get d6+x of healing, and a barbarian would get a d12+x from CLW. My main concern is multi-classed characters. I’m thinking using whatever HD they have most of.
What do you think, and do you see any serious unforeseen consequences from this house rule?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-04, 09:19 PM
I see a lot more Healing Belts for low-HD classes and more wands of Cure Light for the party healer for high-HD classes. If Lesser Vigor is in play, I don't see much if any change in a midly optimized party. I only see an issue if you have heal-botting player who attempts to heal mid-combat.

Shield-Other also becomes somewhat more useful as your HP is effectivly more as you heal more than someone with a squishier HD.

But overall, it doesn't look like its going to make massive world shattering change.

hex0
2011-12-04, 09:30 PM
...or have cure spells heal a percentage of hit points! (which is basically what you are suggesting)

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-12-04, 09:38 PM
For better or worse in combat healing wouldn't be able to keep low hd characters up in combat if their under sustained attack. Of course in combat healing is a bad strategic use of actions that could be spent preventing damage (preferably by ending the fight). Equalizing the cost of out of combat healing would be interesting and would probably save a little since high HD members will be hurt in almost every fight and low HD members will often get out without a scratch.