PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Emanation for a Gish?

Yorae
2011-12-05, 03:38 AM
Was looking at this epic feat and it seemed like it had a lot of potential.

What would be some good spells to make permanent emanations for a gish?

Shadowknight12
2011-12-05, 05:24 AM
Antimagic Field, if you're going with Vow of Poverty and non-magical bonuses; or if you have access to that couple of exceptions that let your magical stuff function within an AMF.

Other than that, you can pile up damaging auras and effects, then go for super stealth + Dimension Door across the battlefield. Add in stuff like Obscuring Mist and Deeper Darkness for maximum confusion and chaos.

Hirax
2011-12-05, 05:29 AM
Greater consumptive field if you want to rocket your caster level. Use every CL booster (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) you can manage before making it permanent.

Yorae
2011-12-05, 07:13 PM
Anything decent for someone who is going to be wading around in melee most of the time? Antimagic Field is cool, especially with free raise/lower, but this guy relies heavily on self-buffs.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-05, 07:44 PM
Antimagic Field, if you're going with Vow of Poverty and non-magical bonuses; or if you have access to that couple of exceptions that let your magical stuff function within an AMF.

Other than that, you can pile up damaging auras and effects, then go for super stealth + Dimension Door across the battlefield. Add in stuff like Obscuring Mist and Deeper Darkness for maximum confusion and chaos.

Most of the bonus from Vow of Poverty are SU so they are shot down in a AMF:smallsigh: yeah I know

Shadowknight12
2011-12-05, 07:47 PM
Most of the bonus from Vow of Poverty are SU so they are shot down in a AMF:smallsigh: yeah I know

How odd, I thought they were (Ex). That shows how little I use it.

A better way would be to find a non-magical, non-supernatural way to transform into a physically powerful creature (Mind Switch?) and then permanently emanate an AMF.

Though Greater Consumptive Field sounds like less work.

Yorae
2011-12-05, 07:55 PM
Though Greater Consumptive Field sounds like less work.

CL boosters + gishing? Not what I usually think of as really benefitting buffs / melee combat.
Might I also stipulate non-evil?

Edit: Forgot it boosts STR crazy high too. Too bad it requires slaughtering orphanages.

JaronK
2011-12-05, 08:02 PM
It doesn't just boost CL... it also sends strength through the roof. And then you can use that caster level to make your other buffs better.

But it's pretty evil. In general, the best emanations for this are 1 round/level ones. So I'd look for those.

JaronK

Yorae
2011-12-05, 08:42 PM
Wow... I really can't find anything other than maybe Globe of Invulnerability that isn't completely underwhelming. Strange for a feat that reads so well.

Hirax
2011-12-05, 08:49 PM
Pretty much. Forceward, ghost trap, and anticipate teleport might be okay, but all the good stuff that at first you'd really want turns out to not be emanations, like divine power, algid enhancement, undermaster, veil of undeath, shapechange, etc.

Yorae
2011-12-06, 12:31 AM
Did a bunch of digging and finally found someone recommending Boreal Wind (Frostburn, pg. 89) as a target for Permanent Emanation.

Does this work?

If so, it seems quite good. Gust of Wind whenever you want it, continual decent damage and pushback on creatures that don't make the save. Granted, they can just move out of the area, but you can direct it as well.

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-06, 12:51 AM
If powers are auto-augmented then Mental rage (Mind's eye) = close range reflex half damage on all creatures with Int. Although you'll need someone else to make concentration on it (like psicrystal).

Yorae
2011-12-06, 10:17 AM
If powers are auto-augmented then Mental rage (Mind's eye) = close range reflex half damage on all creatures with Int. Although you'll need someone else to make concentration on it (like psicrystal).

I suppose if you happen to be a StP Erudite or otherwise had access to arcane spells somehow, you could use Sonorous Hum.

My DM approved Boreal Wind, so I guess it's kosher.