TheArsenal
2011-12-05, 05:53 AM
Aww. I was hoping hed be oblivious.

Maethirion
2011-12-05, 05:56 AM
And Tarquin just gets better and better :smalltongue:

mucco
2011-12-05, 05:57 AM
Tarquin has more Wisdom than his cleric friend. Nice.

The Succubus
2011-12-05, 05:58 AM
Wait, they're working together? :smalleek:

I thought we saved huge exposition for the x00's.

Melee
2011-12-05, 06:01 AM
Tarquin knows? It makes sense - they were being pretty transparent about knowing each other, after all.

At least they remembered to think about V.

Phishfood
2011-12-05, 06:02 AM
AHA! I put my coffee down before reading the final panel this time, saved the keyboard.

Gotta love a bit of sarcasm. When do you think he figured it out? the 3 way "bathing the monkey" part?

Shadowknight12
2011-12-05, 06:07 AM
It's such a shame that Haley's the only one with a Bluff check worth a damn.

They are all so terrible at this. That's probably what makes it all so hilarious.

iTookUrNick
2011-12-05, 06:09 AM

It's more likely Malack has put very few ranks in Sense Motive (class skill for clerics, but they get very few skill points to spend), while Tarquin has it maxed.

Nice comic, and great set up for a scene change. What's your guess?

Ninjaman
2011-12-05, 06:11 AM
''A little bird told me'' classic :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2011-12-05, 06:11 AM
Well, well, it looks like Tarquin has higher Wisdom than Malack? :smalltongue:

So, I guess fan theory than T. is dumber than he looks was thoroughly busted.

Ninja Dragon
2011-12-05, 06:12 AM
It's funny that Tarquin thinks Nale is the only enemy they are facing.

It's about time for someone to find his phylactery.

Aaron
2011-12-05, 06:17 AM
What would have made it really funny was after Tarquin said "Gee, you think?", to have Roy and the gang appear behind Tarquin saying "Gee, what tipped you off?" :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Gandariel
2011-12-05, 06:17 AM
What's your guess?

I'm gonna spoiler that, cause they sound like they could actually happen..
they fight without V, which will appear and save the day in the middle.

They find Girard during the fight/travel

Or, they barely manage to win / just lose, and Roy realizes he should do something to get stronger, and go in some PrC?

Caractacus
2011-12-05, 06:21 AM
Ahaa! We're off to more adventures - with a carpet!

They didn't manage to pull the wool over Tarquin's eyes, anyway...

I am glad that they haven't lost the thread.

Now we get to see what further plans there are woven into the plot.

We should stop guessing, or we might cotton on to them too soon!

I wonder what new dangers loom?

(Over to you guys...)

Bastian Weaver
2011-12-05, 06:23 AM
I suspect Tarquin has known it all long ago. Not because he's so smart (though he is smart), and not because the Order's attempts to deceive him are ridiculous, but because he knows the rules of the adventure. His long-lost son appears in his city, and at the same time some PC characters start trouble? Of course they're working together!
It would be really interesting to see Tarquin in anger.
Or Elan.
Or Angry Elan against Angry Tarquin.
Now that would be an epic battle!

Blisstake
2011-12-05, 06:32 AM
Yeah, they aren't as smooth as they think :smalltongue:

Haruspex_Pariah
2011-12-05, 06:33 AM
Well, so much for that scam. He probably noticed that they coincidentally make up a rounded party. And I think Elan slipped up in one of the previous strips.

Goosefeather
2011-12-05, 06:34 AM
Ha, 'less-vile spawn'! :smallbiggrin:
I suspect V is being kept out of action to prevent what remains of the Linear Guild, plus whatever allies they may have found, from being a pushover.

FireDrake
2011-12-05, 06:40 AM
It could have been some long drawn out exposition about how Tarquin worked out that they were all working together, and yet three short words are just so much funnier.

Flame of Anor
2011-12-05, 06:43 AM
An awesome parting line from Tarquin--I'm guessing this is the last we'll be seeing of him for a while.

Thanatosia
2011-12-05, 06:44 AM
I do so hope this isn't the last we've seen of Tarquin, he's just too awesome.

HearTheRequiem
2011-12-05, 06:45 AM
:elan: "That is, uh, certainly a thing that...someone could do."

Love it.

Kish
2011-12-05, 06:47 AM
I do so hope this isn't the last we've seen of Tarquin, he's just too awesome.
Whereas I hope this isn't the last we've seen of Tarquin because I'm still hoping to see Xykon swat him like a bug.

TerrickTerran
2011-12-05, 06:50 AM
ahh Tarquin, you show us what Ian would be like if he was smart. Now, I just wonder what more influence he'll show once Elan and Nale find each other.

Ron Miel
2011-12-05, 06:51 AM
He probably worked it out back in strip #753 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0753.html).

Grimly Feendish
2011-12-05, 06:54 AM
Wait, they're letting Belkar drive?!!

Marsala
2011-12-05, 06:56 AM
Well, so much for that scam. He probably noticed that they coincidentally make up a rounded party. And I think Elan slipped up in one of the previous strips.

Tarquin not reacting at all to Elan's, "What's your name, Roy?" was extremely suspicious. That's not the sort of detail he'd miss.

Ranzear
2011-12-05, 07:09 AM
And all this time I was saying to myself "Of course Tarquin knows." I was starting to go mad with the nagging doubt otherwise.

Feytalist
2011-12-05, 07:12 AM
I thought we saved huge exposition for the x00's.

Nah, we usually save the anticlimactic non-events for the x00's. :smalltongue:

Man, I really enjoy Tarquin. Did he have to make such a bad guy so likable? Heh.

I'm also wondering why Belkar has such a huge grin in the second-to-last panel.

Morph Bark
2011-12-05, 07:13 AM
"Gee, you think?"

Perfect last line in this encounter.

Mutant Sheep
2011-12-05, 07:14 AM
Tarquin not reacting at all to Elan's, "What's your name, Roy?" was extremely suspicious. That's not the sort of detail he'd miss.

It was also hilarious.:smallbiggrin:
Belkar's gonna dieeeeeee. And then Elan will probably be sad about it.:smallsigh:

Killer Angel
2011-12-05, 07:18 AM
"Gee, you think?"

Perfect last line in this encounter.

And fits perfectly Tarquin's style. The man alone was worth this entire arc. :smallbiggrin:

Gredival
2011-12-05, 07:18 AM
He probably worked it out back in strip #753 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0753.html).

Just noticed it now, but there's a typo in panel 6. Preceding "I'm soon to be married" there is a "buy" instead of "but"

Has this somehow been missed previously?

Burner28
2011-12-05, 07:31 AM
Tarquin knew all along. How unsurprising.:smallamused:

Neopolis
2011-12-05, 07:43 AM
I don't think anyone is really surprised Tarquin wasn't fooled by cunning lines like "Woo! I hate trees!" and "What's your name, Roy?".

faustin
2011-12-05, 07:46 AM
Another heartwarming moment between father and son.
Tarquin can be really the true nemesis, and the final test for Elan to become a true hero. Not only because he is far more competent and powerful than Nale, but because the emotional impact of having to fulfill the duty to finish him ( a caring parental figure) for the sake of the innocent people.

cc_kizz
2011-12-05, 07:52 AM
This was freakin' hilarious. Tarquin's no dummy. :-) I got lost in the argument for/against him knowing in the previous thread…

I'd hate to be sitting on the edge of that rug with Belkar driving. Oh my goodness.

This strip made me happy.

factotum
2011-12-05, 07:54 AM
And Tarquin shows once again that Elan levels of genre savviness combined with actual intelligence is a winning combination!

HandofShadows
2011-12-05, 08:16 AM
I would be rather dissapointed with Roy if he didn't at least suspect that Tarquin knew something was up. Especially after the "Roy" bit.

Darksaber
2011-12-05, 08:17 AM
Well, at least Tarquin doesn't feel threatened or anything by putting them back together (not that he knows how to feel threatened)

Vinsfeld
2011-12-05, 08:18 AM
Well, well, it looks like Tarquin has higher Wisdom than Malack? :smalltongue:

No way! I mean, Malack is a cleric. If a non-divine caster has more wisdom than a divine caster, there's something pretty wrong. It's like having a Rogue with a higher Strenght score than a Barbarian.

Perhaps Tarquin has a higher Sense Motive score. (or whatever it takes to figure it out)

Armand
2011-12-05, 08:20 AM
Bwahahaa! Its a crappy day for me, (hospital things, family members at possible dead beds, ect, no need for details) and somehow, dont know why tarquin at the last panel give me a damn good laugh...

Thank you Rich Burlew...

Blaznak
2011-12-05, 08:26 AM
On the road again.... :) I'm glad to see the team moving on to new crazieness.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-05, 08:26 AM
So, I guess fan theory than T. is dumber than he looks was thoroughly busted.
There were people who argued this?

nhbdy
2011-12-05, 08:27 AM
echoing the above statements:
1. awesome comic
2. of course Tarquin knew, the order is terrible at this and he's been playing politics for quite some time now
3. hope it isn't the last we see of him
4. great last line! :smallbiggrin:

Garwain
2011-12-05, 08:29 AM
All of the sudden I realise that Tarquin could be a possible ally against team evil.

EpsilonShawn
2011-12-05, 08:32 AM
While the last panel did cinch the whole thing rather nicely, I'd have to say that, word for word, "a little bird told me" was the most perfect line.

Thank you Rich Burlew...

Webcomics like his are the reason to get out of bed in the morning. And very efficient too, at delivering entertainment for your time. (Forum threads, on the other hand...)

Actually, you don't even have to get out of bed for this.

Orzel
2011-12-05, 08:34 AM
So Tarquin has a decent Sense Motive.

Not like the opposed rolls would be high. There is only one person in the OotS with Bluff and a positive Charisma with the smarts enough to think of keeping up the ruse. And she didn't have clout with any of the ruling party.

They better get better at this before they hit epic.

Good comic.

small pumpkin m
2011-12-05, 08:34 AM
Huh. New favourite character. Cool.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-05, 08:36 AM
See guys. Tarquin isn't evil. He loves Elan and is helping. Truly, he is a shining example of Lawful Good.:smallwink:

ShikomeKidoMi
2011-12-05, 08:48 AM
See guys. Tarquin isn't evil. He loves Elan and is helping. Truly, he is a shining example of Lawful Good.:smallwink:

This is the internet, so thank you for that wink to indicate sarcasm. That said the first thought I had on seeing your joke was "oh no, someone's going to take him seriously."

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-05, 08:56 AM
This is the internet, so thank you for that wink to indicate sarcasm. That said the first thought I had on seeing your joke was "oh no, someone's going to take him seriously."
People take Dr. Epic seriously?

Please don't eat me.

Kish
2011-12-05, 08:57 AM
There were people who argued this?
Oddly, while I saw a lot of people post, "I bet Tarquin knows Elan-Haley-Vaarsuvius, Roy-Belkar, and Durkon all know each other!" I don't remember ever seeing anyone post, "I bet Tarquin believes the Elan-Haley-Vaarsuvius trio has no connection to the Roy-Belkar duo, and Durkon has nothing to do with any of the others!"

Please don't eat me.
*sniffs zimmerwald1915* I am a mite peckish, but you ogres never bathe, so bleh. There's nothing very appetizing in this playground.

Whiffet
2011-12-05, 08:57 AM
"Gee, you think?"

Hee. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and I love Elan saying he hopes V doesn't get "crackly-skinned".

AutomatedTeller
2011-12-05, 08:59 AM
As far as I can tell, Malack has never been introduced to Roy and Belkar. I don't think Tarquin has better ability to sense stuff... he just has a lot more information.

Onyavar
2011-12-05, 09:21 AM
Gee, you think? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: :biggrin:

Kancsar
2011-12-05, 09:30 AM
Love Belkar's expression of joy when we gets to fly the carpet. He made a show of complaining about cliched they are, but then shows how much fun it would to travel by the original "rag top".

Laws of Chaos
2011-12-05, 09:35 AM
And all this time, I thought they did an excellent job at being covert about the fact that they all knew each other! Tarquin's powers of deduction are amazing! :smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2011-12-05, 09:36 AM

Well, it is controlled by fear and intimidation (and a little torture)...:smallcool:

Faltenin
2011-12-05, 09:38 AM
That is such a relief... They were so clumsy (in a cute way) that it would have been a shocker if Mister T hadn't guessed.

Now my next action will be to go back and read the previous strips while keeping in mind that at some point, he knew. For instance, when he ordered Roy & Belks to go along with them, was he just avoiding an awkward moment for his son? All together now, awwwww...

dps
2011-12-05, 09:38 AM
I'm also wondering why Belkar has such a huge grin in the second-to-last panel.

He's happy that they're letting him drive--though that brings up the question that someone mentioned earlier--they're letting Belkar drive?!

No way! I mean, Malack is a cleric. If a non-divine caster has more wisdom than a divine caster, there's something pretty wrong. It's like having a Rogue with a higher Strenght score than a Barbarian.

Tarquin may be one of those rare characters like Roy who have high stats in everything, and could have been any class that they wanted to be. Wisdom could be Malack's best stat, and Tarquin have a higher wisdom but it still not be his best stat. OTOH, this--
As far as I can tell, Malack has never been introduced to Roy and Belkar. I don't think Tarquin has better ability to sense stuff... he just has a lot more information.

rbetieh
2011-12-05, 09:44 AM
So thats how they all fit, nice. I wonder why Malack isn't chasing after Nale himself though....

Ron Miel
2011-12-05, 09:54 AM
He's happy that they're letting him drive--though that brings up the question that someone mentioned earlier--they're letting Belkar drive?!

I don't think he's driving, he's just sitting at the front.

H Birchgrove
2011-12-05, 09:57 AM
He's the tracker... technically.

He holds one of the... what do you call it, "angles" doesn't sound right, even though the carpet is geometrically a square.

Edit: He holds one of the tassles. Now, the real question is: is that tassle the throttle or the steering stick? :smallwink:

rbetieh
2011-12-05, 09:59 AM

He is holding a Tassle and no one else is. Of course there are 4 of those things, I wonder what happens when they all decide to steer at the same time.

H Birchgrove
2011-12-05, 10:01 AM
Tassle! That's the word! :smallbiggrin: Thanks!

leakingpen
2011-12-05, 10:02 AM
Also, the sky is blue! And Leon is LAAARRRGE!

Nevereatcars
2011-12-05, 10:11 AM
Well, that was conclusive.

mucco
2011-12-05, 10:15 AM
Ten gold says 819 will be Team Evil return.

Ron Miel
2011-12-05, 10:17 AM
He is holding a Tassle and no one else is.

OK, good point. I didn't spot that.

tassel

Nephrahim
2011-12-05, 10:18 AM
I really love the comics where an NPC reveals that the PCs aren't the only ones in the world capable of tricking others. "I'm glad you figured that out before I advanced another age category" is one of my favorite comics ever.

Calemyr
2011-12-05, 10:24 AM
Of course, I rather doubt Tarquin is going to be mad about the deception. He was quite pleased about the heroism and built his plans upon a hero's desire to overthrow a tyrant. If anything I'd expect this to be his next line: "Upset? Why would I be upset? I'm proud! I've got a son who understands the virtues of tact and subtlety! Sure, he sucks at them, but he still tries!"

Shmuel
2011-12-05, 10:31 AM
Now my next action will be to go back and read the previous strips while keeping in mind that at some point, he knew. For instance, when he ordered Roy & Belks to go along with them, was he just avoiding an awkward moment for his son? All together now, awwwww...
It goes beyond avoiding an awkward moment. The team was inevitably going to get back together. This way, it's accomplished in a way that avoids their doing any more damage to his place, and makes them all a bit more beholden to him. Meanwhile, he's sent them off to take care of one of his problems, and is also getting them out of the way so he can plot what to do once they return.

Tarquin is very, very good at this.

EpsilonShawn
2011-12-05, 10:38 AM

Maybe it's both? Then again, Durkon has always been rather good at being sincere.

He is holding a Tassle and no one else is. Of course there are 4 of those things, I wonder what happens when they all decide to steer at the same time.

OMG, backseat driving. But only because they appear to be facing in that one direction.

Ten gold says 819 will be Team Evil return.

I wish.

rewinn
2011-12-05, 10:41 AM
I love the way that the tassels, Haley's pony-tail, Durkon's worried look and Belkar's big big smile all indicate that Belkar is driving really, really FAST! He's a thrill seeker and with any luck he can disturb the stomachs of some of his friends.

As to Maleck's wisdom - note that he uses the word FEEL while Tarquin uses the word THINK. They come to the same conclusion, just by different mental processes.

t209
2011-12-05, 10:44 AM
Whom will be found by order of the stick?
- Orrin Draketooth
- His daughter
- Both
I hope Orrin will forgive penelope for what he have done to her.

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-05, 10:49 AM
I can't shake the feeling that Malack's last words to Durkon are foreshadowing one of their deaths.
Tarquin has more Wisdom than his cleric friend. Nice.Yep, just like how Elan has more Wisdom than Durkon because of how much more genre-savvy he is. :smallannoyed:

Oh and "I forgot I was forgetting" and "a little bird told me" are the highlights of this strip for me. :smallbiggrin:

Valyrian
2011-12-05, 10:49 AM

Perhaps Tarquin has a higher Sense Motive score. (or whatever it takes to figure it out)
Maybe it's just because he had more interaction with all members of the OotS (circumstancial bonus and all that).

And by the way, I hate the phrase "agree to disagree" because it says nothing. Minus 50 points for Tarquin.

Landis963
2011-12-05, 11:07 AM
I really love the comics where an NPC reveals that the PCs aren't the only ones in the world capable of tricking others. "I'm glad you figured that out before I advanced another age category" is one of my favorite comics ever.

:roy: I've been fooled by someone... by someone with...with...
:shojo: By someone with an NPC class. I'm afraid so.
:roy: I feel dirty inside.

bibliophile20
2011-12-05, 11:09 AM
Of course, I rather doubt Tarquin is going to be mad about the deception. He was quite pleased about the heroism and built his plans upon a hero's desire to overthrow a tyrant. If anything I'd expect this to be his next line: "Upset? Why would I be upset? I'm proud! I've got a son who understands the virtues of tact and subtlety! Sure, he sucks at them, but he still tries!"

Yeah, that'd be completely in character for him.

Jay R
2011-12-05, 11:17 AM
It goes beyond avoiding an awkward moment. The team was inevitably going to get back together. This way, it's accomplished in a way that avoids their doing any more damage to his place, and makes them all a bit more beholden to him. Meanwhile, he's sent them off to take care of one of his problems, and is also getting them out of the way so he can plot what to do once they return.
Furthermore, Tarquin assembled the party and got them going where he wanted them to go, as quickly as possible, without letting them know he knows they're a party.

Tarquin is very, very good at this.
Yes. Yes, he is.

Roderick_BR
2011-12-05, 11:23 AM
That last panel just cracked me up :smallbiggrin:
Since Tarquin knew it all along, it's obvious why he got Elan some "bodyguards." It's in his best interests that Elan take Nale down, so he put his group back together.

willpell
2011-12-05, 11:43 AM
I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, but in addition to "a little bird told me" and "less-vile spawn", no-one else seems to have picked up on my other favorite line, "Or was 'thank you' too much formaility for that mother of yours?" (Paraphrased for space, which i have now wasted explaining that fact.) Given that I've always associated etiquette and protocol with covering up for the fact that you're evil by not letting your true feelings show, this line coming from Tarquin was just perfect to me.

Almaseti
2011-12-05, 11:59 AM
I hope they don't think they've actually fooled him. It's more like both groups are pretending they don't know.

Mando Knight
2011-12-05, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I figured Tarquin would see through the deception. :smalltongue:

An evil genius see through his dimwitted son's attempt at hiding the ties that bind his party together? Who would have thought? :smalltongue:

Forikroder
2011-12-05, 12:30 PM
touche giant

SamBurke
2011-12-05, 12:34 PM
Ah, of course. Genre savviness wins the day.

Michaeler
2011-12-05, 12:37 PM
Elan first let Roy and Belkar's names slip at the banquet, then the next day Tarquin turned up to see Roy and Belkar.

the_tick_rules
2011-12-05, 12:51 PM
Yeah, only Haley has skill in conning.

Barlen
2011-12-05, 01:03 PM
I read that last panel as both Malak and Tarquin being somewhat sarcastic. Albeit Malak's sarcasm is considerably dryer. Best bet Tarquin long since figured it out and shared it with Malak a while back. Of course Malak likely could have figured out the connection between Elan, Haley, Durkon and V on his own.

JSSheridan
2011-12-05, 01:09 PM
Thanks Giant!

Deepbluediver
2011-12-05, 01:11 PM
It's more likely Malack has put very few ranks in Sense Motive (class skill for clerics, but they get very few skill points to spend), while Tarquin has it maxed.

Malack has really only spent time with Durkon; he's mostly just seen Elan and the rest at the special social functions Tarquin has been putting on. Its entirely possible he hasn't seen enough of their fumbles to be suspicious.

EpsilonShawn
2011-12-05, 01:13 PM
I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, but in addition to "a little bird told me" and "less-vile spawn", no-one else seems to have picked up on my other favorite line, "Or was 'thank you' too much formaility for that mother of yours?" (Paraphrased for space, which i have now wasted explaining that fact.) Given that I've always associated etiquette and protocol with covering up for the fact that you're evil by not letting your true feelings show, this line coming from Tarquin was just perfect to me.

It had a zing to it, sure, but a turn of phrase is more accessible (and more fun to echo) when it's compact and simple. And for me, its applicability to context is something to be admired when the statement itself sounds generic. It's a different appeal. That said, I like how Tarquin consistently takes potshots at his ex. He might not be actively bitter about the past, but I'd guess that there's at least some remnant of love/hate.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-12-05, 01:26 PM
Not to totally be a devil's advocate here, but couldn't they actually both have been being completely straight in the last panel?

To me, their eyes imply they're both considering the possibilities.

Usually when someone is sarcastic there eyes are different, more serious and their brows are more furrowed. Tarquin seems genuinely surprised by the notion, and Malack seems to be genuinely saying that he doesn't know but just has a hunch.

Not saying that I didn't consider the sarcastic option, and think it is highly possible, but their eyes seem to hint to me that Tarquin who showed the same childish enthusiasm as his CG son about dinosaurs is just as clueless most of the time.

Vectner
2011-12-05, 01:29 PM
I think it was sweet that Elan got to give his dad a hug, even though he swore to kill him at a later time.

Vectner
2011-12-05, 01:32 PM
Not to totally be a devil's advocate here, but couldn't they actually both have been being completely straight in the last panel?

Usually when someone is sarcastic there eyes are different, more serious and their brows are more furrowed. Tarquin seems genuinely surprised by the notion, and Malack seems to be genuinely saying that he doesn't know but just has a hunch.

Not saying that I didn't consider the sarcastic option, and think it is highly possible, but their eyes seem to hint to me that Tarquin who showed the same childish enthusiasm as his CG son about dinosaurs is just as clueless most of the time.

The title of the comic suggests the sarcastic tone of Tarquin's comment

recluso
2011-12-05, 02:03 PM
Lets be clear I like 818, yet...

Before reply#96 I was a bit disappointed in two things, now only in one.

If the forum could keep up some hope Tarquin would be fooled up to 817, at least someone should continue in 818. Thanks Shoelessgdowar.

However, I hoped Elan would realise Roy just formally accepted to be Elan's bodyguard and that, therefore, Elan would be the formal party leader.
If Elan took that serious, it could be hilarious.
Note that Roy takes his promises Tarquin serious, otherwise he wouldn't have bartered for the option to refuse after the mission.

Come on Elan, you can still take control.

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-05, 02:07 PM
Just noticed that Haley called Durkon "Brother Thundershield" in #816 but now she calls him "Father Thundershield." Maybe it's a subtle way of showing that even Haley can't get their story straight?

Anarion
2011-12-05, 02:09 PM
Fun comic. I especially agree with the title. Totally unsurprising plot development is hilariously unsurprising.

I'm rather concerned that Belkar is becoming a storm of genre-cliche jokes. I liked him better when he was vicious and destructive. Helpful Belkar is a little...well, boring to be honest.

I really like Elan and Tarquin's relationship though. Tarquin is a vile fiend, but likeable as a character. Elan, at the same time, is forced into prioritizing his actions for the greatest good and as a result he really does need to work with Tarquin and put aside their differences at least temporarily. This is a really interesting turn of events.

KoboldRevenge
2011-12-05, 02:15 PM
I just noticed Roy's art upgrade. He used to just have a blue square for a body and some shoulder plates but now he's got the little neck collar and the Giant's Strength belt. Looking good.

LuPuWei
2011-12-05, 02:17 PM
Awesome comic! :smallcool:

There seem to be some interesting parallels between this and the Azure city story arc. Here goes:

1. Both arcs begin with the OotS being brought to the capital city of a Lawful Empire by force.

2. In both arcs a period of temporary incarceration ensues.

3. In both arcs the Empire is ruled by a charismatic leader who is smarter than he initially lets on (a charismatic leader with an equally charming albino sidekick? :smallbiggrin:) - a leader who manages to successfully lead largely through some sort of deception...

4. In both arcs the OotS befriends said leader by virtue of the presence of one members father (in azure city, it was Eugene acting [sort of] on behalf of Shojo; in EoB, Tarquin)

5. In both arcs the leader attempts to employ Roy in his own schemes.

6. Both arcs involve two altercations with Nale before returning to the Gates super-arc - one inside the city, and one outside (the order is transposed in the EoB arc)

7. In both arcs, the leader of the city provides the required means of transport for the away match against Nale. (after 'employing' Roy)

8. In both arcs, the empires are roughly colour coded - Blue for Azure City (duh) and Red for EoB ( which I like, for I like colour coded fantasy; and also because I think the Red vs Blue contrast goes well with the Lawful Evil vs Lawful Good thingy)

Important note: Not that I'm complaining. At all.

AutomatedTeller
2011-12-05, 02:29 PM
Just noticed that Haley called Durkon "Brother Thundershield" in #816 but now she calls him "Father Thundershield." Maybe it's a subtle way of showing that even Haley can't get their story straight?

That's awesome. I had missed that the first time.

Morgan Wick
2011-12-05, 02:41 PM
Who wants to bet Tarquin stuck Roy and Belkar with them precisely because he knew who they were?

J.Gellert
2011-12-05, 02:44 PM
...Of course he would!

Awesome strip, now let's get V back for more group adventuring!

Timeless Error
2011-12-05, 02:49 PM
The last panel made me chuckle. I knew Tarquin and Malack weren't really clueless enough not to notice.

rbetieh
2011-12-05, 02:51 PM
Lets be clear I like 818, yet...

Before reply#96 I was a bit disappointed in two things, now only in one.

If the forum could keep up some hope Tarquin would be fooled up to 817, at least someone should continue in 818. Thanks Shoelessgdowar.

However, I hoped Elan would realise Roy just formally accepted to be Elan's bodyguard and that, therefore, Elan would be the formal party leader.
If Elan took that serious, it could be hilarious.
Note that Roy takes his promises Tarquin serious, otherwise he wouldn't have bartered for the option to refuse after the mission.

Come on Elan, you can still take control.

The most serious thing I can think of Elan doing is giving Roy an eyepatch so he can seem mysterious. But Hinjo kept the eyepatch :smalleek:

silvadel
2011-12-05, 02:52 PM
Haley would probably need another phithre of glibness to put anything over on Tarquin... Even then she would still need to be relatively careful...

AutomatedTeller
2011-12-05, 03:01 PM
Haley would probably need another phithre of glibness to put anything over on Tarquin... Even then she would still need to be relatively careful...

I don't think Tarquin has put haley and ian together in his head yet.

Lynn
2011-12-05, 03:09 PM
I think it was sweet that Elan got to give his dad a hug, even though he swore to kill him at a later time.

It is strangely heartwarming, even trough it's meant to lead to drama. I expected such a "let's embrace now, because next time we meet, we will be trying to kill each other" goodbye. It may be a little hard to Elan to bring himself to kill him later. Its hard no to like the guy when you're "a somebody" to him.

Now, Elan is bit naive, thinking he should be grateful when T he just giving them the means to fix his problem.

Bilbo27
2011-12-05, 03:51 PM
Belkar is smiling because even though it is cliche, he still has that thrill of adventure, and flying a carpet is as close to skydiving as he can get, which of course can happen if he falls off and has feather fall cast on him.

Silva Stormrage
2011-12-05, 04:17 PM
Ya not all that surprised that Tarquin knows the order is working together. I mean subtlety is one thing pc's usually lack :smallbiggrin:.

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-05, 04:50 PM
Ya not all that surprised that Tarquin knows the order is working together. I mean subtlety is one thing pc's usually lack :smallbiggrin:.

Well, the ones I GM for are a sneaky lot, so the OotS stands out as exceptionally klutzy from my perspective. :smallsmile:

feathers177
2011-12-05, 05:05 PM
Tarquin is so devious! I love it. He has become one of my favorite characters to be honest.

Puschkin
2011-12-05, 05:12 PM
Okay, so Tarquin knows. He decides to let them all go. He gives them a magic carpet as a gift. Knowing Tarquin and The Giant I'd say Tarquin put the OOTS version of a "bug" aka tracking device on the carpet and observes them. I bet 10 pieces of gold on that.

rbetieh
2011-12-05, 05:19 PM
Okay, so Tarquin knows. He decides to let them all go. He gives them a magic carpet as a gift. Knowing Tarquin and The Giant I'd say Tarquin put the OOTS version of a "bug" aka tracking device on the carpet and observes them. I bet 10 pieces of gold on that.

Hey, all carpets literally always come with thousands of strings attached. Its a great meta-gift from Tarquin.

Lea Plath
2011-12-05, 05:24 PM
OK, I'm thinking. My guess is Tarquin knows about the gates or has an inkling, but it isn't in his interests to do anything with them because he is too genre savvy.

So by putting the party together, he is stopping his less genre savvy son, Nale, trying to do something stupid like trying to use the Snarl for evulz and probably destroy the world and Tarquin's empire.

Probably been brought up already, but I'm new.

Also, Durkon is getting a bit boring. Of all the characters, he has been through the least development I do believe, apart from his short arc.

Puschkin
2011-12-05, 05:39 PM
Characters can be interesting without this omnipresent character development. Belkar for example would still be hilarious even if he never tried to be good. Also, a character may be boring on his own but interesting when interacting with others.

Jay R
2011-12-05, 05:45 PM
Who wants to bet Tarquin stuck Roy and Belkar with them precisely because he knew who they were?

Gee, you think? Also, the desert is dry.

Helpful Belkar is a little...well, boring to be honest.

Releasing an Allosaurus is not boring.

DougTheHead
2011-12-05, 06:09 PM

There seem to be some interesting parallels between this and the Azure city story arc. Here goes:

1. Both arcs begin with the OotS being brought to the capital city of a Lawful Empire by force.

3. In both arcs the Empire is ruled by a charismatic leader who is smarter than he initially lets on (a charismatic leader with an equally charming albino sidekick? :smallbiggrin:) - a leader who manages to successfully lead largely through some sort of deception...

4. In both arcs the OotS befriends said leader by virtue of the presence of one members father (in azure city, it was Eugene acting [sort of] on behalf of Shojo; in EoB, Tarquin)

6. Both arcs involve two altercations with Nale before returning to the Gates super-arc - one inside the city, and one outside (the order is transposed in the EoB arc)

7. In both arcs, the leader of the city provides the required means of transport for the away match against Nale. (after 'employing' Roy)

8. In both arcs, the empires are roughly colour coded - Blue for Azure City (duh) and Red for EoB ( which I like, for I like colour coded fantasy; and also because I think the Red vs Blue contrast goes well with the Lawful Evil vs Lawful Good thingy)

Holy Crap, that is awesome. I didn't notice any of that until now. And most interesting of all, it suggests that we're going back to the Empire before long.

Also, considering that Ian and Geoff are almost certainly headed to the canyon, we're likely to have another rescue-a-PC's-ungrateful-family-member moment here.

The Pilgrim
2011-12-05, 06:11 PM
The punchline is comedy gold.

Bravo, Giant.

DabblerWizard
2011-12-05, 06:22 PM
Tarquin's statement "Gee, you think?" could be interpreted in multiple ways:

These two have been mentioned already:
(1) He's making fun of Malack's Sense Motive
(2) He's making fun of Malack's genre savvy

An alternate is,
(3) He's making fun of Malack's intelligence, i.e. you should have been able to figure this out

CoffeeIncluded
2011-12-05, 06:39 PM
Why do I have the distinct feeling that it's not going to be as easy retrieving V as they think?

Shoelessgdowar
2011-12-05, 06:47 PM
Why do I have the distinct feeling that it's not going to be as easy retrieving V as they think?

You think he's been put out to Pastur-ize? I know it is a Ranch Dressing Plane, but I doubt he's corralled there.

silvadel
2011-12-05, 07:23 PM
Hmm -- I didnt think of the carpet being bugged... I mean regardless, it is a pretty unique object making it an easy scrying target.

Silva Stormrage
2011-12-05, 07:23 PM
You think he's been put out to Pastur-ize? I know it is a Ranch Dressing Plane, but I doubt he's corralled there.

Ya but does V have any spells that can get himself out of there? Even if he is free from harm he might not be able to leave. Dismissal might work though. I was never clear if being on another plane made the non native subject extraplanar. And if so, where does V pop up if he uses dismissal on himself? The spell doesn't specify...

One thing to note is that with non core material retrieving him would be simple with greater plane shift (The one that allows pin point teleportation across plains in SpC). Though that would be boring :smallwink:

i6uuaq
2011-12-05, 08:07 PM
It's funny that Tarquin thinks Nale is the only enemy they are facing.

Elan's speech at the arena should have told Tarquin that there's something else going on.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-05, 08:46 PM
Ya but does V have any spells that can get himself out of there? Even if he is free from harm he might not be able to leave. Dismissal might work though. I was never clear if being on another plane made the non native subject extraplanar. And if so, where does V pop up if he uses dismissal on himself? The spell doesn't specify...
V doesn't have to get herself out of there. It'd take quite a lot of spells and time, but Durkon could Plane Shift to the Semi-elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing, locate V, get to V/help V locate him so V can get to his position, Plane Shift them both out, and Wind Walk to the rest of the OotS or to Windy Canyon.

Hypothetical
2011-12-05, 08:53 PM
All of the sudden I realise that Tarquin could be a possible ally against team evil.

Well, definately against Nale. I think with Not-Elan gone Tarqy will try to recruit Team Evil for his own use. They're kind of bumbling idiots, but they would add a nice little sneak force for the Not So Big, Not so Bad, but Definately Evil Dude.

I fully expect for the final Climactic Battle for Tarquin to Save Luke Elan from The Emporor Xykon. After revealing that Haley is really Nale's Sister, but not fathered by Tarquin so she has no real relation to Elan, but making things awkward for a page or two.

Belkar's corpse will return, as some hyper-undead chaotic evil thing that really loves telling V that she is going to Heck when she dies and using telekenisis spells on trees to freak Durkon out.

Ceilia will be killed in a massive pudding explosion the day before she marries Roy. Roy will go on to become the most famous Warrior of all Time, ruling over the rebuilt Azure City, but he will never marry. He will multi-class into Warmage for 5 levels just to shut his dad's ghost up for once.

V will finally be revealed to be a woman, as she gives birth to two Demonic half-elves, father by her new master, The Snarl.

Durkon will foil prophecy by returning home alive, only to die the next day when he is hit by a runaway Mining Cart 15 feet from the front door of his mother's cave.

Buuuutttt, maybe I'm the only one who would think that was funny.

UrsielHauke
2011-12-05, 09:05 PM
Great comic, Giant. I was cracking up from the beginning to the end. :smallsmile:

Baxter190
2011-12-05, 09:09 PM
After revealing that Haley is really Nale's Sister, but not fathered by Tarquin so she has no real relation to Elan, but making things awkward for a page or two.

Not possible, given Elan and Nale are twins. Thus, they have both same parents.

Querzis
2011-12-05, 09:44 PM
Not possible, given Elan and Nale are twins. Thus, they have both same parents.

...why are you taking his comment seriously? And perhaps more importantly, is that seriously the only error you could spot in his post?

Tobimaro
2011-12-05, 09:53 PM
"All aboard the Arabian Cliche Express!" Belkar wins the strip yet again!

Richard J.
2011-12-05, 10:07 PM
I read that last panel as both Malak and Tarquin being somewhat sarcastic. Albeit Malak's sarcasm is considerably dryer.
I thought the same thing. It's hard to believe that either of them, after so many years of political manipulation and country conquering could possibly miss the signs. Malack might have since he's had less to do with the Order but I think he figured it out too.

brionl
2011-12-05, 11:44 PM

Gee, you think?

Gnoman
2011-12-05, 11:49 PM
Well, definately against Nale. I think with Not-Elan gone Tarqy will try to recruit Team Evil for his own use. They're kind of bumbling idiots, but they would add a nice little sneak force for the Not So Big, Not so Bad, but Definately Evil Dude.

Two problems with that:

1. Tarquin is genre-savvy to the extreme. There's not a chance that he would fail to recognize the inherent dangers of trying to keep an immortal, ambitious, insane spellcaster of phenomenal power as a pet.

2. Xykon is extremely unlikely to accept a position subservient to anyone.

thereaper
2011-12-06, 12:20 AM
I'm glad to see that Tarquin did know they were all the same party. It would have stretched his credibility otherwise.

t209
2011-12-06, 12:27 AM

Actually, Azure City is more of a city state. We do not know other territory other than forts and watch towers.
P.S- If gobbotopia conquest arc begins, we could make Hinjo as Elves' puppet government and force to carve up the empire.

Raistlin82
2011-12-06, 02:48 AM

What order and what two altercations?
There's only one encounter/conflict with Nale's gang in this arc.
Don't tell me you're counting Z's Magic Eye in the desert...

GalenDev
2011-12-06, 03:11 AM
"Gee, ya think?"

Can't help but hear Richard Dean Anderson saying those immortal words. Ah, SG-1, how I miss you.

Seriously though, there's no way Tarquin couldn't have known. He's actually intelligent. The nonchalance of how he says as much really sells the scene.

Icedaemon
2011-12-06, 03:36 AM

For all we know, this might be Malack's way of confirming that his friend also knows this without sounding patronizing. That is very similar to I for one often state things I am pretty sure the person I am talking to knows.

Of course, Malack has had fewer encounters with Elan and (virtually?) none insofar with Roy, so his might indeed only be a suspicion.

...Given that I've always associated etiquette and protocol with covering up for the fact that you're evil by not letting your true feelings show, this line coming from Tarquin was just perfect to me.

Seriously? Wow, that is just... Absurd is the best term I can think of. By your logic, all good people must be tactless douches.

I see the 'brow furrowed' as 'this is obvious sarcasm I must telegraph because I am in the company of Elan/someone else who certainly will not get it otherwise', while proper sarcasm is said with a straight face.

LuPuWei
2011-12-06, 04:12 AM
What order and what two altercations?
There's only one encounter/conflict with Nale's gang in this arc.
Don't tell me you're counting Z's Magic Eye in the desert...

The potential altercation in the desert that the OotS is heading for at this moment. It may not happen, ultimately, but either way the loan of a magic carpet for a fight against Nale outside the city sort of mirrors the loan of a wizard for (unwittingly) the same purpose in the Azure city arc.

With that in mind, the order in which the Out-of-city and In-city fights take place will have been transposed, if there is an out-of-city fight at all this arc.

Important Note 2: I'm not trying to predict anything here.

St Fan
2011-12-06, 07:31 AM
All right... this is the right time for a change of focus while the Order is on its two-day travel over the desert.

Now, the bets are open... what will it be?
(I don't think this kind of speculation require a spoiler tag.)

- The remains of the Linear Guild, either racing to Windy Canyon or first trying to retrieve Zzd'tri and checking out if Thog is still alive.
- Team Evil, either still searching for the philactery or having found it and ready to get on the move.
- Gobbotopia, with Jirix vs. the Azure City resistance and their elves allies (distinct from the above, especially if Xykon and Co have left town).
- Lien and O-Chul travelling to Kraagor's Gate.
- Hinjo and the Azurites settling on their new island (unlikely, though maybe as a quick aside).
- The IFCC discussing the latest events.
- Ian and Geoff's whereabouts.

Anyone else I missed?

My bet go to Team Evil, though the Linear Guild is still a strong possibility.

turkishproverb
2011-12-06, 08:24 AM
Tarquin's statement "Gee, you think?" could be interpreted in multiple ways:

These two have been mentioned already:
(1) He's making fun of Malack's Sense Motive
(2) He's making fun of Malack's genre savvy

An alternate is,
(3) He's making fun of Malack's intelligence, i.e. you should have been able to figure this out

Or all three. :smallsmile:

FlawedParadigm
2011-12-06, 08:28 AM
That ought to guarantee the next strip is an intermission strip just to prove all your guesses wrong. :smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-06, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by willpell
...Given that I've always associated etiquette and protocol with covering up for the fact that you're evil by not letting your true feelings show, this line coming from Tarquin was just perfect to me.

Seriously? Wow, that is just... Absurd is the best term I can think of. By your logic, all good people must be tactless douches.

Agreed 100%. "Covering up for the fact that you're evil by not letting your true feelings show"? :smalleek: Wow, I never realized that I was a villain hiding my "true feelings" when I said "thank you" to, for example, a store clerk who helped me find something I was looking for. I wonder what my "true feelings" are in that case, then? You mean I'm not really mildly grateful for the help and, I don't know, want to stamp on their toes for helping me, or something? :smallconfused:

Etiquette = evil is one of the weirdest ideas I've heard.

EpsilonShawn
2011-12-06, 09:39 AM
Seriously? Wow, that is just... Absurd is the best term I can think of.
Here's my interpretation. The issue may not be the usage of etiquette per se. Rather, there's definitely a bias against characters holding others to superficial rules of conduct. As if valuing a set of behavior or gestures lessens someone's ability to care about what really matters. And further, if they do allow that to supplant their feelings, they're being dishonest and if there's one thing we're taught it's that dishonesty is Bad. Gotta be true to yourself.

I wouldn't say there's evidence for Tarquin hiding his true feelings. But then, there wouldn't be, right? :smalltongue:
Maybe it's the way he couches his words sometimes or how he comports himself that leads to the sense that intrigue is afoot.

I see the 'brow furrowed' as 'this is obvious sarcasm I must telegraph because I am in the company of Elan/someone else who certainly will not get it otherwise', while proper sarcasm is said with a straight face.
It could reflect their mood/attitude as separate from the sarcasm they're expressing.

Defiant
2011-12-06, 10:05 AM
Nice lampshading about the flying carpet :smallbiggrin:

rbetieh
2011-12-06, 10:37 AM
Agreed 100%. "Covering up for the fact that you're evil by not letting your true feelings show"? :smalleek: Wow, I never realized that I was a villain hiding my "true feelings" when I said "thank you" to, for example, a store clerk who helped me find something I was looking for. I wonder what my "true feelings" are in that case, then? You mean I'm not really mildly grateful for the help and, I don't know, want to stamp on their toes for helping me, or something? :smallconfused:

Etiquette = evil is one of the weirdest ideas I've heard.

There is a Spanish song on this very subject, unfortunate that its in Spanish only: Lecciones de Urbanidad by Joan Manuel Serrat - Lessons in Urbanity. It tells you to "Cultivate good manners to cover your bad defects", and my personal favorite "sign your death sentences, but with good penmanship", amoung other things... The question is whether the person you meet is being polite or urbane, hard to tell the two apart. Every head has a tail, I guess :smallcool:.

Arrowstorm122
2011-12-06, 10:56 AM
Aaaaand, new round in the book, go!

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-06, 11:00 AM
There is a Spanish song on this very subject, unfortunate that its in Spanish only: Lecciones de Urbanidad by Joan Manuel Serrat - Lessons in Urbanity. It tells you to "Cultivate good manners to cover your bad defects", and my personal favorite "sign your death sentences, but with good penmanship", amoung other things... The question is whether the person you meet is being polite or urbane, hard to tell the two apart. Every head has a tail, I guess :smallcool:.

Well, personally, I've always felt that civility was partly to prevent numerous small fracases and occasional larger ones. That's why the warrior cultures have always had elaborate codes of courtesy -- to keep the peace, as much as possible, among fairly aggressive people.

So in some situations, I can see it as being good that you hide your actual feelings.

In other situations, many of them, the politeness is an actual expression of what you're feeling. After all, someone must be grateful and actually want to say "thank you" sometimes, or the word wouldn't exist. :smallwink: And, if it did exist, would automatically be considered to be an insult of some kind. :smallbiggrin: But I'm digressing into abstract speculation here.

You probably sum it up best: every head has a tail. :smallsmile:

angroy
2011-12-06, 12:07 PM
Ah, this was a great comic. I know I'm not the only person, but I just knew that Tarquin knew. As the title refers to, it was just too obvius. Plus Tarquins pretty smart and has genre savvyness. And the way he put it accually made me laugh out loud.
Plus Durkon's scared eyes are great. Just noticed that. I forgot he doesn't like heights.

hamishspence
2011-12-06, 12:36 PM
Actually, Azure City is more of a city state. We do not know other territory other than forts and watch towers.
P.S- If gobbotopia conquest arc begins, we could make Hinjo as Elves' puppet government and force to carve up the empire.

From War & XPs (travel guide entry on Azure City):

While simply called Azure City, this nation controls a vast tract of land beyond the city walls, including farms, forts and mines in the nearby mountains.
Population: 530,000 (90% human, 5% half-orc, 5% half elf. Approximately half the population resides within the walls of Azure City itself. While the city is open to travelers from all lands, the law only grants citizenship to those with human blood. Tip: That human blood must be inside the human for it to count.
Cities: Azure City is the only true city within Azurite territory, though there are several other towns and dozens of villages spread out across several valleys.

bronnt
2011-12-06, 03:55 PM

And we're back to Star Wars references. Someone named Tarquin tracking them as they fly away to a secret hide-out. I'm surprised it didn't trip Elan's Genre-savvy detection.

"It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape."

"Easy, you call that easy?"

The Empire of Blood, with evil characters named Tarquin and Malack, is a veritable hot-bed of Star Wars references.

Of course, Malack has had fewer encounters with Elan and (virtually?) none insofar with Roy, so his might indeed only be a suspicion.I have to agree with this. It's been mentioned before in this thread, but Tarquin has had many, many more opportunities to see the PCs acting suspiciously. Malack has caught them behaving oddly a few times, but never interacted with Roy or Belkar prior to this scene. He might have deduced that they knew Durkon prior to this, but this might be the moment when he's actually putting it all together for the first time.

Tarquin, of course, figured it out something like 80 strips ago.

EDIT: Also, with regard to the previous post, Azure City is the definition of a city-state. A city-state will of course have land outside of its walls in order to support itself. Much like Athens, or Corinth, or Rome pre-empire.

hamishspence
2011-12-06, 04:04 PM
The Empire of Blood, with evil characters named Tarquin and Malack, is a veritable hot-bed of Star Wars references.

The Giant has, I believe, mentioned that Malack is a coincidence (has never played Knights of the Old Republic), and Tarquin is named after Tarquinius Superbus, the last king of Rome before it became the Roman Republic.

While there are indeed Star Wars references, those two aren't.

EDIT: Links:

Malack's Name (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9521959&postcount=22): Not based off of Darth Malak. Originally was going to be named Malachi.

Tarquin's Name (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9527191&postcount=30): Named after a Roman King, not the Grand Moff.

AutomatedTeller
2011-12-06, 05:08 PM
I always wondered how the romans knew what a bus was, to say nothing of a super bus (is that like the double-decker ones? or a ultra luxury one?)

hamishspence
2011-12-06, 05:11 PM
Heh. No- it's Latin- translates, approximately, as "The Proud".

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-06, 05:18 PM
(is that like the double-decker ones? or a ultra luxury one?)Probably the magic school ones.

bronnt
2011-12-06, 05:50 PM
I always wondered how the romans knew what a bus was, to say nothing of a super bus (is that like the double-decker ones? or a ultra luxury one?)

It probably ran on Heron of Alexandria's steam engine.

Icedaemon
2011-12-06, 06:43 PM

Why 'or'?

On more topical matters, I do still think that it is likely that Malack was at the least highly suspicious, but chose to put things delicately and seem more unsure by virtue of assuming his friend to have figured things out at least as well due to Tarquin's more direct contact with the PCs. This might be bias though - the albino was a near-instant favourite for me.

Ron Miel
2011-12-06, 07:32 PM
Why 'or'?

It's what the Romans called gold, obviously.

jere7my
2011-12-06, 08:56 PM
Tarquin is named after Tarquinius Superbus, the last king of Rome before it became the Roman Republic.

Are you sure he's not named for Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel?

Boogastreehouse
2011-12-06, 10:47 PM
I'm pretty confident that both Malack and Tarquin were aware of the Order's ruse, and were both playing along.

What I wonder is whether Malack was just being friendly to Durkon as part of their counter-ruse or whether his affection was sincere.

Cranica
2011-12-07, 01:20 AM
Bwahahaha. Tarquin might be a bad guy, but he's just so damn stylish you can't help me love him in a story. He's totally right about the villains always being more interesting.

Halleflux
2011-12-07, 02:06 AM
If I was Tarquin there, I probably would have said something along the lines of 'No shi-, Sherlock.'.

Still a great comic.

factotum
2011-12-07, 02:57 AM
Tarquin's Name (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9527191&postcount=30): Named after a Roman King, not the Grand Moff.

Which makes sense anyway, given that the Grand Moff's name was Tarkin, not Tarquin.

i6uuaq
2011-12-07, 03:52 AM
The Giant has, I believe, mentioned that Malack is a coincidence (has never played Knights of the Old Republic), and Tarquin is named after Tarquinius Superbus, the last king of Rome before it became the Roman Republic.

While there are indeed Star Wars references, those two aren't.

EDIT: Links:

Malack's Name (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9521959&postcount=22): Not based off of Darth Malak. Originally was going to be named Malachi.

This is reminding me of studying literature in school.

"The blue curtains are symbolic of the protagonists' feelings at this point upon learning of the other protagonists' death."

"No, the curtains are blue because the author had blue curtains too and it seemed natural."
And also, the scene was set in Azure city.

I read this analogy off a forum somewhere, and the Giant has just confirmed it. Literature analysis is in the eye of the beholder. :smallbiggrin:

FlawedParadigm
2011-12-07, 07:51 AM
It's what the Romans called gold, obviously.

Au, really?

Harbajar
2011-12-07, 03:26 PM
Another reason as to why I love this comic!

Witty writing - check
Simple but elegant illustrations - check
Plot rolling along nicely - check

819 - awesome before it even gets here

Ron Miel
2011-12-07, 05:14 PM
Au, really?

Aw, no. :redface:

GSFB
2011-12-07, 11:57 PM
anyone else think of the moment in Star Wars when the Millennium Falcon is flying away from the Death Star and Vader and Tarquin are discussing whether or not the plan will work?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l585bwPzfg1qa1qsoo1_500.jpg

slurpzURbrainz
2011-12-08, 07:37 AM
Well, the ones I GM for are a sneaky lot, so the OotS stands out as exceptionally klutzy from my perspective. :smallsmile:

That must be wonderfull... Im a gm and a player with my group. I make sneaky characters. If i went off by myself i could keep a secret, but often the bad guys when talking say things like..

" That one tells a compelling tale. How do the rest of you feel about this?" Or less diplomaticaly," I want to hear that same tale again, from anyone else but YOU. "

After a few adventures my sneaky self winds up suggesting a lot of frontal asults as my party cant keep a secret to save its life and running in blasting gives the enemy less time to react than if we talk. :smallmad:

One time in a modern campaign I went to the trouble of disguises for the whole party to infiltrate a crackhouse for information from one of its gangmembers, only to have the front door opened for me by the gang leader just as one of the less patient party members threw a grenade through the window beside me .:smallfurious:

Love OOTS, Tarquin Malak.

My take on the last panel is Malak is being intuitive, having insufficient interaction to have proof, and Tarquin is confirming with bemused sarcasm, having seen signs just short of written confessions.

Thank you so much Giant! :smallwink::smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smallsmile: :smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

Phishfood
2011-12-08, 10:07 AM
Au, really?

This thread is solid gold.

t209
2011-12-08, 10:36 AM
This thread is solid gold.

Nice Pun
Fact: Some latin names became scientific name for chemicals like-
Ferrum (iron)
Aurelius (gold)
Argent (Silver) like Lord Hinjo's dog's teeth (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0588.html).

Kancsar
2011-12-08, 11:19 AM
Aurelius (gold).

think you mean Aurum (gold), as opposed to the Stoic Emperor's name.

Jay R
2011-12-08, 11:44 AM
I always wondered how the romans knew what a bus was...?

Well, it's actually a Latin word, since shortened for ease of use. The name for the modern conveyance was originally "omnibus", meaning "for everybody", a form of "omnes" (all).

Oh, and by the way, the Romans called gold "aurum". Medieval heralds called it "or".

rbetieh
2011-12-08, 12:09 PM
Well, it's actually a Latin word, since shortened for ease of use. The name for the modern conveyance was originally "omnibus", meaning "for everybody", a form of "omnes" (all).

Oh, and by the way, the Romans called gold "aurum". Medieval heralds called it "or".

And 49ers called it GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD WUUUUPEEEEEEEEE {does a little dance :smallbiggrin:}

rewinn
2011-12-08, 02:07 PM
And 49ers called it GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD WUUUUPEEEEEEEEE {does a little dance :smallbiggrin:}

Is that why their San Francisco descendants liked to say "dig it, man!" ?